THE BROWNS BOARD

Thomas Jones

Erie Dawg

Schefter has said it wouldn't surprise him if he landed in Cleveland, mainly based on how much Mangini likes jets players.

I personaly would love the deal, and having him split carries with harrison would be a instant two headed running threat, it would maybe even help out the passing game.

I would love to see a set of backs grind out the yards slow down the game and give the D a break. Lets face it we suck when play from behind and have to hurry up and score.

What is he 35 effin years old? I never understand the notion of going old with players way past their prime....Go young and you get a lot more bang for your buck..You get players who are chompin' at the bit to play special teams, for example.....YOu think T Jones would be willin' to do that??? The J Lewis love fest was a major goat fuk and it makes no sense to think a T Jones relationship would be any different. no thanks

What is he 35 effin years old? I never understand the notion of going old with players way past their prime....Go young and you get a lot more bang for your buck..You get players who are chompin' at the bit to play special teams, for example.....YOu think T Jones would be willin' to do that??? The J Lewis love fest was a major goat fuk and it makes no sense to think a T Jones relationship would be any different. no thanks

He's 31, and i'm not saying give him a 10 yr deal, sign him for a couple years that's it.

Where on our roster do you see a power running back anyway?

Well, I believe Jones just turned 30. And he DID have 1400 yards rushing last year. And I don't think anyone is claiming he should be THE featured running back with 25 carries a game. He does not seem to have lost anything, yet.

If you got one good year out of him, and you didn't have to give up anything for him other than money, it certainly could be worth the risk.

we kind have these guys by the name of Chris Jennings and James Davis

Who?????????

Oh you mean the James Davis that ran for an incredible 19yds last year.

And the Jennings that ran for 220yds.

Them guys aren't even in the same league.

Jones is a workhorse if we sign him barring no injuries we have a 1000yd back, can the same be said about the other 2?

we kind have these guys by the name of Chris Jennings and James Davis

no thanks

Which one of those guys gained 1400 yards last year? I would say they have a lot to prove what "kind" of guy they are.

Besides, how many tailbacks should/could a team have on it roster? If we have Harrison, Jones, Jennings, and Davis, is that too many? We had all these guys plus Jamal Lewis last year, didn't we? (Or did we get Jennings when Lewis went down?)

The difference between signing Lewis and Jones is simple. The Jets released him as a financial decision and are trying to resign him at a lower cost, they believe he can still play at his current level, they are not going out and courting replacements either. They have a good young back in Greene that can produce at much lower cost. When the Ratbirds released Lewis they had lost all confidence in his ability to produce for them, they didn't want him back and had no sure fire back in their arsenal that they could produce. That is why they drafted Rice and signed McGhee.

Also keep in mind, early in his career Jones didn't carry the ball at a high volume, he has not taken the years of pounding that most productive backs his age have. He would be a great addition and big boost in a run game that needs a experienced and proven back with alot still left in the tank.

Ayyy-ahhh, its not like when we signed Jamal late in his career with no clear heir-apparent. We have 3 young guys on the roster. You sign him to a 3 year, front loaded incentive based contract. Let him show these young guys how to find their way through the line (which he may be the best in the league at doing that) and get 800-1,200 yards in 2010 in the process. he has young legs by NFL RB standards and is in great shape. And again, he may have the best field vision since Marshall Faulk. It sounds like a no brainer. But I'm sure a lot of teams are interested in him and he will basically have his choice of the city and team to play for.

i stand corrected..his stats the past few years are impressive sooo he is not Way past his prime..I suspect he is going to demand a lot of $$. I guess i could live with some incentive based numbers so he stays hungry if he were to come and try real hard to help the Browns's win

Here is my assesment:

Jerome Harrison- Our feature back. He is the future. Dont tell me that he had a few good games last season and thats it. For 3 years, he has proven himself to us. The reason he wasnt given exposure was due to the prior coaching staff.

James Davis- Our elusive back. He is extremely fast and offers a whole new dimension to our running game. He is good for draw plays, screens, quick options, and third downs.

Chris Jennings- Shows some potential but will most likely be on the practice squad if a third RB is found. Needs time to grow, but we should keep him in the organization.

Thomas Jones (option)- A veteran RB who still has alot in the tank (unlike when we had Jamal Lewis). He was only released by the Jets because of his lack of production i the playoff and the emergence of Greene. He had a career season with one of the best run offenses in the league.

CJ Spiller (option)- This makes more sense than anything. He ran 3 out of his 4 years with James Davis in high school. This tandem would surely be one of the most dominant running back partnerships in the league. Take him while you can Cleveland.

What made me very mad about what Adam Schefter said yesterday was that "Cleveland needs a RB". No we don't. We could easily get by with what we have. Thanks tho.

Who?????????

Oh you mean the James Davis that ran for an incredible 19yds last year.

And the Jennings that ran for 220yds.

Them guys aren't even in the same league.

Jones is a workhorse if we sign him barring no injuries we have a 1000yd back, can the same be said about the other 2?

The James Davis that played in one game before getting hurt in an "opportunity period" and missed the other 15 games. Not to mention he was in a car accident the night before the game he actually did play. Not to mention the fact that it was the season opener against the Vikings, and we looked like shit from top to bottom.

The same James Davis that had sportscasters calling his praises in the preseason. The same James Davis that tore up the ACC alongside C.J. Spiller at Clemson, and led the team in rushing all four years.

That James Davis, is the one I believe he was talking about. Don't be so quick to judge.

By the way, I'm on board with the Thomas Jones signing, if it's a tiny contract. 3 years. That's all.

i see ny jets news and talk everyday living in ny and let me tell you, thomas jones is the shit! my favorite line of his is "when most guys are taking monday and tuesdays off, i'm in the gym working out." like we couldn't use a guy like this to come in and instill some work ethic and a positive leadership roll to our young backs? i'm all for it. but i agree: 3 yr. deal.

i see ny jets news and talk everyday living in ny and let me tell you, thomas jones is the shit! my favorite line of his is "when most guys are taking monday and tuesdays off, i'm in the gym working out." like we couldn't use a guy like this to come in and instill some work ethic and a positive leadership roll to our young backs? i'm all for it. but i agree: 3 yr. deal.

I have got to admit, dude is menacing and it looks like he can close on some split tail.........baby got back

thomasjones1.jpg

I have got to admit, dude is menacing and it looks like he can close on some split tail.........baby got back

thomasjones1.jpg

looks like me! (if i was born black, worked out everyday and committed myself to doing something in this sad sack life. those were the days. <_< ). wasn't she the reject on 'flava of love'?

Having seen TJ up close and personal, I will tell you that he's an impressive physical specimen. Ripped like hell.

Things I like:

a) He's gonna give as good as he gets in terms of contact. He doesn't dance in the hole.

B) He's a tremendous locker room leader who sets a great example

c) He was the AFC's leading rusher in 2008 and second leading rusher after Chris Johnson in 2009

d) 27 TDs last two years

and most importantly...he's only lost ONE fumble in two years (621 carries)

He might have a little bigger price tag but he might be worth every penny we spend on him if he stays healthy. He has been a real workhorse the last few years. If we sign him then draft a RT in the first or 2nd then we would have a pretty stout line. I am still scratching my head on the fraley release but we are going to need some more depth on the o-line.

Guest dirt devil
looks like me! (if i was born black, worked out everyday and committed myself to doing something in this sad sack life. those were the days. <_< ). wasn't she the reject on 'flava of love'?

No, this looks like you :lol: :lol: :lol:

freakedoutredneck.jpg

Archived