THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns very active in trade talks

mopaji

Updated: March 4, 2010, 10:28 PM ET

Sources: By Chris Mortensen

ESPN.com

Archive

On the surface a trade that proposes sending Cleveland Browns defensive tackle Corey Williams to the Detroit Lions on Friday may not seem like a big deal. But it could influence the NFL draft on April 22 with the Lions choosing second overall.

If Willliams lands with the Lions for a low draft pick, as sources say, he is expected to return to the role he played with his original team, the Green Bay Packers, which allowed him to play a more aggressive style which is commonly called a three technique. The Packers designated him as a franchise player in 2008 but traded him to the Browns for a second-round draft pick.

Williams could also be part of a revamped defensive front-four for the Lions and would free them up to select Nebraska's Ndamukong Suh over Oklahoma's Gerald McCoy if both defensive tackles are available at No. 2. Suh is considered by many NFL evaluators to be more versatile along the defensive front. The Lions also have not ruled out trading down a few slots to collect an extra draft pick and still land another impact player, either on defense or the offensive line.

Williams is scheduled to take a physical on Friday to finalize the Browns and Lions trade.

The Lions also will pursue free agent defensive end Kyle Vanden Bosch, who once played for coach Jim Schwartz, the former defensive coordinator of the Titans. Vanden Bosch could have other suitors. The Seahawks also are expected to consider Vanden Bosch and Aaron Kampman as potential pass-rush defensive ends.

In dealing Williams, the Browns would pick up their 12th pick for next month's NFL draft and league sources say they have been very active in discussions with other teams regarding potential trades and free agency signings, including restricted free agents who would require draft pick compensation. The Browns have made it known that former Pro Bowl nose tackle Shaun Rogers is available for trade.

Chris Mortensen is a senior NFL analyst for ESPN.

Looks like they're trying to address needs during the trade and free agency period. And shopping Shaun Rogers may yield us another high draft pick. Like we said last year, this roster is getting flipped in 2010.

I don't want to see him go either but this makes it sound like the coaching staff liked having Rubin in there when Rogers went down.

Maybe they coaching staff caught some wind from the training staff that his broken leg isn't healing up good enough at this point... I don't know just speculating.... there has to be a reason.

I still think you need a stud back up NT in the 3-4.

Maybe they coaching staff caught some wind from the training staff that his broken leg isn't healing up good enough at this point... I don't know just speculating.... there has to be a reason.

I still think you need a stud back up NT in the 3-4.

Also have to take his age into account. I hope if he gets traded that we get something pretty good out of it.

I'm pretty much going to back up anything this FO does at this point in time because it's the first time I've been really excited about our front office. I got excited about the deals Savage pulled off then realized too late how much he really gave up for them. But this is really the first time I'm trusting in whatever this FO does.

Well, shut my mouth.

I wouldn't have thunk it tough. What if Rubin gets hurt, God forbid, and Rogers is gone?

But, this Browns org is now a high class very smart, complete outfit that will make the right decisions.

I do hope Rogers, if he does get traded, gets a super bowl ring before he retires.

rather have him stay.

Rogers has been an awesome player but its really time for us to look at actually rebuilding our team with good young talent instead of turning over our roster with older talent. Rogers really does deserve to be on a playoff winning team for the punishement he has recieved going from the Lions to the Browns!!!!!!

IF you trade Rogers you've got to make sure you get value for him. No sense in moving a player who's very talented and not getting anywhere near the value for him. As it stands, you won't get equal talent regardless. I don't want picks for this guy unless we are talking a higher first round and i cannot see many/any teams being willing to do that.

The only way i move Rogers is for an impact player or a high first round pick...but thats me.

Archived