THE BROWNS BOARD

Tim Tebow charges $160.00 per autograph

DieHardBrownsFan

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- If anyone thinks Tim Tebow is greedy for charging $160 for his autograph, don't tell Lucille Tharp.

"He's a good Christian boy who believes in my heavenly father," she said. "And I'd stand up and give them the back of my hand."

Lucille can't even walk, which sometimes happens when you're 95. But I firmly believe she'd arise from her wheelchair and smite anyone who said a bad word about her Timmy.

She didn't have to budge Saturday. Tebow held his first autograph session as a professional, meaning he could charge without the NCAA arresting him.

And boy, did he charge. To paraphrase the initials on one of Tebow's bracelets -- What Would Jesus Think?

I'm no theologian, but I think he'd be fine with Tebow cashing in. Jesus might have even paid $75 to have his picture taken with Tebow. (Hint to photo collectors: Tim would be the messiah on the left).

Wait just a holy minute here. Doesn't Timothy 6:10 say the love of money is the root of all evil?

I wanted to ask our St. Timothy about that, and what percentage of Saturday's proceeds was going to his charity. I'd even spent $160 in company money for a ticket and a quick audience with His Football Holiness.

Share I thought about having him sign a wooden cross, but I didn't want to pay the extra $25 for a "large item." I thought it'd be funny to have him sign a copy of the Declaration of Independence, but I couldn't locate one Saturday morning.

Then I read where the most expensive autographs in the world belong to William Shakespeare. There are six in existence, and the Bard would get $3 million a pop for them.

So I thought I'd have Tebow sign a copy of Romeo and Juliet, put it on eBay and hope some really dopey fan of SEC football and English poetry would bid $3 million.

Then I got to The Avenues Mall and saw the line. It was 333 people long, and that was just for photos. I'm sorry, but I refuse to wait in line that long for any performer not named Springsteen.

I've also never understood why anyone over 14 would scrounge for an autograph. William Shakespeare's, sure. William Perry's, I don't think so.

But that's just me. And the cop who was trying to keep people in line.

"I can't believe this," he said.

People had come from as far as Texas. There was a poster in front of the memorabilia store that read "Thank You Timmy." People signed it (for free, I presume) for the star to read.

"Thanks for the memories!"

"I know you'll be great in the NFL. Call me. 316-9427. Love, Kimberly."

"Big fans. And you're a role model for my son. Della and Herb."

As a role model, isn't Tebow supposed to be different than the usual money-grubbing athlete? Few things irk people more than millionaires charging for autographs.

Rhode Island passed a law five years ago prohibiting anyone under 16 being forced to pay for their hero's signature. It was an easy way for politicians to fan populist rage.

Nobody is forcing people to line up at malls. If consumers are willing to pony up $749 for a football autographed by Tom Brady, why shouldn't he make $10,000 an hour signing his name?

Just because he's religious doesn't mean he has to wear sackcloth and ashes. Would you turn it down?

Tebow probably signed 2.4 million autographs for nothing since high school. He also made approximately squat off the zillions of No. 15 jerseys Florida sold for $79.99. There were at least 200 of them in line Saturday.

After making so much money for so many people the past four years, I'm glad Tebow is finally making some for himself. Just because he's religious doesn't mean he has to wear sackcloth and ashes.

Whatever he makes in the NFL, a good chunk of it will go to underprivileged Filipinos, unwed mothers and other faith-based projects. That's just my guess, of course, since I didn't feel like waiting in line four hours to ask firsthand.

Maybe I should have pretended to be a 95-year-old woman with a crush on a younger man.

"I've been a Gator fan since I was 18," Lucille said. "He gave me the best times I've ever had."

She was allowed to wheel past a few hundred people to the front of the line. Tebow got up from behind a table, went over and hugged her.

She had a newspaper with his picture on it. Tebow signed it then took a picture with her.

The cost of the combo: $210.

I can't say for sure what Jesus would think. I know Lucille believes it was the best money she ever spent.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good for him. Isn't this a great country where you can attain a level where people will pay for your autograph??

I will sign a autograph for anybody here for $200 a pop.

Of course we are just negotiating. I suppose I would do it for as little as $1 a pop. ;)

Thats 3 times what Quinn charged. Thats because Christians are 3 times more in love with the big guy upstairs than Catholics. So I guess it's okay. I really need to start my own "love jesus" campaign, it is so damn lucrative. And you dont even have to practice what you preach! Nobody even cares!

Good for him. Isn't this a great country where you can attain a level where people will pay for your autograph??

Of course we are just negotiating. I suppose I would do it for as little as $1 a pop. ;)

dude, why don't you just go and propose marriage to the guy already? what a freaking man love fest thing you got going for this guy. every post with tebow your timmy can't do wrong. is it the sweaty franken brow or the fact he'll go blow up an abortion clinic that turns you on? GO RIGHT WING FASCISM, GO!!!

I'll do it for just the pop !

or a sip from the jar?........

Thats 3 times what Quinn charged. Thats because Christians are 3 times more in love with the big guy upstairs than Catholics. So I guess it's okay. I really need to start my own "love jesus" campaign, it is so damn lucrative. And you dont even have to practice what you preach! Nobody even cares!

yup free passes all around via the lovely forgiveness clause. whoever threw that thing in was truly a genius. we've become so morally backward a lot of times you're societies bad guy if you don't look the other way.

i'm torn on the whole autograph thing. nothing wrong with holding an event where people know upfront what the deal is. this is one of those "life is too short for me to have an opinion on this" moments, because i'm not a big enough of a fan nor do i care enough.

Whiners! I suppose he is not allowed to make money in th NFL either.

Who pays for autographs anyways?

I think it is great that a young man of his caliber is willing to stand up for good morals. It takes courage today to stand against political correctness.

Happy birthday Peen.

Whiners! I suppose he is not allowed to make money in th NFL either.

Who pays for autographs anyways?

I think it is great that a young man of his caliber is willing to stand up for good morals. It takes courage today to stand against political correctness.

Ok, I'll bite. What political correctness is Tebow so courageously standing up to here?

Too funny. Maybe he should've gave free autographs? Oh wait, then the same ones deriding his religion and bitching now would be calling him "weak" and bitching about giving the autographs away. He can't win.

FWIW, we're still Capitalist to our core in America. There is a demand for Tim Tebow autographs obviously, and Tim has a supply. For a price. I love it. I'd pay him $200 for one just on principle and because it pisses all the nonthinking leftists off.

What a stupid remark. What does this have to do with the left/right idiocy?

I personally think if he wants to charge $160.00 for an autograph, he has every right to do so. If people are so stupid as to pay that for it, they should be deprived of their money. You apparently are one of those fools that should be deprived of your money

I don't see that making money where you can is counter to "fundamentalist" religion principles.

I am a Democrat. Does that in your view make me a leftist? If so, then I guess you think that Jefferson, Jackson, Wilson, Roosevelt etc. etc. are leftists.

As such, I am all for freedom of religion, and for allowing Tebow to practice his religious beliefs, even if they are not the same as I would adopt. Is it a travesty that so many people take of advantage of others to vastly profit off others who think giving money to preachers is going to buy them salvation? Yea, its a travesty. But its a travesty of their own making, and I have no sympathy if these types want to give their money to so many "phony" preachers.

(And by the way, I believe that only about 1 in 100 are probably "phony" preachers. I know many preachers. All of them hard working, sincere people who believe in what they are doing. Its just that there are enough charlatans out there to cause concern).

He shares that belief with millions of other Americans, not really stepping out on a ledge there. Tim Tebow throws a football for a living, let him keep his opinion of how women should handle their pregnancies to himself.

Now if he puts Ezekiel 23:19-20 on his eyewear in the future. I will become a Tebow supporter.

He shares that belief with millions of other Americans, not really stepping out on a ledge there. Tim Tebow throws a football for a living, let him keep his opinion of how women should handle their pregnancies to himself.

Now if he puts Ezekiel 23:19-20 on his eyewear in the future. I will become a Tebow supporter.

I prefer the passage in Ezekial 25:17.

Matthew 19:24

"Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God"

Ephesians 5:3

"But among you there must not be even a hint of sexual immorality, or of any kind of impurity, or of greed, because these are improper for God's holy people."

Looks like Teabag better get with the program. Who is he to say one sin is worse than another? Looks like Teabag is selectively religious. Greed ($160.00 for an autograph) is certainly a sin.

Matthew 19:24

"Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God"

Ephesians 5:3

"But among you there must not be even a hint of sexual immorality, or of any kind of impurity, or of greed, because these are improper for God's holy people."

Looks like Teabag better get with the program. Who is he to say one sin is worse than another? Looks like Teabag is selectively religious. Greed ($160.00 for an autograph) is certainly a sin.

Well, If you take the Seven Deadly Sins: Wrath, Avarice, Sloth, Pride, Lust, Envy, Gluttony I would probably have to admit that I am guilty on all counts:

Wrath: You should hear me when things are going badly for the Browns. Wrath indeed. My family has to leave the house!

Avarice: I admit it. I would really, really like to win the Lottery

Sloth: You can tell that by the fact that I am on here playing with this tomfoolery instead of doing my work.

Pride: I admittedly have a bit of an arrogant streak in me. Just look at my responses to my trivia and surveys.

Lust: What can I say, my favorite thread on here is the "Hot Cheerleader" thread!

Envy: This may be my least guilty sin. I don't envy you all anything except your sports championships, your money, your hot girlfriends, etc.

Gluttony: Having an office right next door to a McDonald's doesn't help me in this regard. I gotta start hitting the bricks with Spring coming on.

So, there is it for me. Don't tell me that anyone of you isn't just as guilty!

Too funny. Maybe he should've gave free autographs? Oh wait, then the same ones deriding his religion and bitching now would be calling him "weak" and bitching about giving the autographs away. He can't win.

FWIW, we're still Capitalist to our core in America. There is a demand for Tim Tebow autographs obviously, and Tim has a supply. For a price. I love it. I'd pay him $200 for one just on principle and because it pisses all the nonthinking leftists off.

wow. how can one person seem so smart about the game of football that we are really here to discuss and then just disappear when it comes to reality. religion and politics are a no-win argument to have anytime, anywhere. wars are still being fought over stupid shit like this and religion has caused more deaths on earth than any other factor though time. hey believe in what you want to believe in just shut your xxxxin mouth about it when you're around me. some people go through life very nicely by the code of 'doing the right thing' and trat those like you'd want to be treated.' but who is tebow bitch tio get on national tv and discuss what is really a WOMEN'S issue. the fat old white xxxxing white men in this country who have ruled too long have to stick there shriveling little dicks into everything.

i hope massaquoi starts wearing black tape under his eyes preaching the koran! want to see an uproar? the sec would've shut that shit down real quick if their poster boy was a muslim. guarantee that!!!!

i'd pay him $200 to go away, for good.

Well, If you take the Seven Deadly Sins: Wrath, Avarice, Sloth, Pride, Lust, Envy, Gluttony I would probably have to admit that I am guilty on all counts:

Wrath: You should hear me when things are going badly for the Browns. Wrath indeed. My family has to leave the house!

Avarice: I admit it. I would really, really like to win the Lottery

Sloth: You can tell that by the fact that I am on here playing with this tomfoolery instead of doing my work.

Pride: I admittedly have a bit of an arrogant streak in me. Just look at my responses to my trivia and surveys.

Lust: What can I say, my favorite thread on here is the "Hot Cheerleader" thread!

Envy: This may be my least guilty sin. I don't envy you all anything except your sports championships, your money, your hot girlfriends, etc.

Gluttony: Having an office right next door to a McDonald's doesn't help me in this regard. I gotta start hitting the bricks with Spring coming on.

So, there is it for me. Don't tell me that anyone of you isn't just as guilty!

I'm not saying I'm not. But then again I don't make righteous TV commercials and advertise my faith with bible passages on game day.

Wait, that was an anti abortion ad? Man, I completely misread the thing; I thought it was a stark warning about what might happen if you have the kid...he might grow up to be Tim Tebow.

Besides, if he really wants to make an anti-abortion ad, he should make an ad calling for overturning Roe v. Wade or something. "Just think about it" isn't just nonsensical (I don't know anyone who's ever had an abortion, but I would imagine they did think about it for at least a couple of minutes), it's milquetoast. Take a stand, man!

Dennis

Wait, that was an anti abortion ad? Man, I completely misread the thing; I thought it was a stark warning about what might happen if you have the kid...he might grow up to be Tim Tebow.

Besides, if he really wants to make an anti-abortion ad, he should make an ad calling for overturning Roe v. Wade or something. "Just think about it" isn't just nonsensical (I don't know anyone who's ever had an abortion, but I would imagine they did think about it for at least a couple of minutes), it's milquetoast. Take a stand, man!

Dennis

I have a feeling Tebow is going to get aborted from the NFL in a few years anyway.

Archived