THE BROWNS BOARD

Phil Savage- Deadspin.com

titleist585

http://deadspin.com/5093632/browns-gm-phil...t-very-politely

As a person who gets tons of nasty email, I know it's tough to always show restraint and resist the urge to stick up for yourself. This practice is frowned upon, and not healthy, because, well, those emails could potentially come back to bite you in the ass. Plus, as a "professional" you're supposed to take the high road on such matters. This has to be a daily problem for sports executives, especially those who advertise their email to the public and then receive emails like this one which was sent on Monday night to Browns' GM Phil Savage from a disgruntled fan:

You are easily the worst GM in the NFL. Chud, Crennel and Tucker should

NOT have jobs. How the hell do you play prevent defense the entire

game? How do you NOT use Jerome Harrison more? Why the hell would you

throw the ball with 6 minutes left? This is officially a regime that is

worse than Butch Davis'. By the way, just like last week - this email

was written while the Browns still had the lead.

It appears Mr. Savage wasn't in any mood to take this sort of criticism after a victory, because he sent this response:

Subject: Re: Browns

To: xxxxxxx

Date: Tuesday, November 18, 2008, 12:17 AM

Go root for Buffalo-f#@* you-

Maybe he meant to say "thank you" and his face fell on the keyboard because he was so tired? The time stamp does say it was a little after midnight when he sent it. Or maybe he was just drunk and thought he was emailing with Kellen Winslow?

Either way, I'm sure plenty of other Cleveland Browns fans would like to send Mr. Savage an email message more often if he continues to fire off these colorful responses. Give it a shot!

Savage has not performed quik enough for what we all desire, but after the pile of shit that was left to him from Butch F-Up Davis. he has done above average. he can only sign guys to contracts, he cant measure what is in there harts? he is not god. Savage was pretty much forced into signing RAC by the league with all of the affirmative action BS. and a week and a half ago while watching the Buckeyes whipping the crap out of northWestern the commentaters were talking about there are not enough black head coaches in the college ranks. Pure Fing BS. you should be hired on what you can do and not on what your skin color is.

sometimes me thinks that Savage had his arm twisted by the league to hire Fat bOy RAC, and sometimes i think that Savage thought the league would help him rebuild the franchise if he did.

I think savage will be ok if lerner dont fire him he is still learning and he has delivered to fatarse exactly what fatarse asked for to no avail i am pissed that he didnt can crennel at the bye so we could see if chud can handle being HC im still pissed that phil pissed away our season waiting for fats to change qbs and discipline this team but i think he is better theen what we get if he gets the axe...

I think its important for ps to purge most of the current staff and if he doesnt i will have zero respect for him..

further proving it's a rediculous non story

http://www.ohio.com/sports/browns/34810619.html

Browns coach Romeo Crennel more or less confirmed today that General Manager Phil Savage responded to a fan's hostile e-mail with an implied obscenity Monday night.

The Web site http://www.deadspin.com reported that a fan sent Savage several highly critical e-mails during the Bills game. Savage responded by telling the fan to root for Buffalo and ended with an implied obscenity, though he did not actually spell the word.

''We all get frustrated at times,'' Crennel said in his daily news conference.

He continued by saying people try to be ''professional'' and hold it in, but ''sometimes things slip out.''

''It's unfortunate that it slipped out,'' Crennel said.

WKNR's Tony Rizzo said on his radio show that he talked to the fan, and the fan thought he deserved it. The fan told Rizzo he apologized to Savage after hearing from the GM.

Savage did not appear during the news conference, but Crennel said he talked to Savage this morning and Savage emphasized winning the next game.

OK, it's on ESPN. Romeo did confirm it. Here's everything he said:

We all get frustrated at times. Phil generally, like the rest of us, tries to be professional and hold it in. But sometimes some things slip out. It's unfortunate that it slipped out. Tough times, tough things happen. I'm sure that if we had it to do over again we'd do it a little bit differently."

That makes Romeos confirmation a little more clear.

Savage has not performed quik enough for what we all desire, but after the pile of shit that was left to him from Butch F-Up Davis. he has done above average. he can only sign guys to contracts, he cant measure what is in there harts? he is not god. Savage was pretty much forced into signing RAC by the league with all of the affirmative action BS. and a week and a half ago while watching the Buckeyes whipping the crap out of northWestern the commentaters were talking about there are not enough black head coaches in the college ranks. Pure Fing BS. you should be hired on what you can do and not on what your skin color is.

sometimes me thinks that Savage had his arm twisted by the league to hire Fat bOy RAC, and sometimes i think that Savage thought the league would help him rebuild the franchise if he did.

I totally disagree with you. Romeo had the pedigree of a stellar head coach. The fact that he happened to meet affirmative action requirements would just be icing on the cake. On paper Romeo looked like an awesome head coach. I was totally on board with him at first. Last season seemed to show that he was going in the right direction, but this season proves that he is just not cut out to be head coach material. Procedural penalties, injuries in the preseason, the staph infection debacle, and the lack of team discipline is all the coach's fault. Thanks to Phil Savage we finally have god players. Lewis,Cribbs, Winslow, Edwards,Stalworth,Rogers,Dawson, Quinn and Thomas. These guys can play. Romeo just can't get it done. We didn't know that before but we do now.

Call me crazy, but I kinda like it. The emailer (supposedly) is a guy who works at a Pittsburgh radio station. No matter who it is, I dont have a problem with it. Should he have ignored it? Probably. But I read that as Phil having some passion. I'd like to see some more of that on this team.

@ JADBF: i completely understand your point. also, i'm sorry you work in politics. it's a shitty, shallow industry that takes well-intentioned people and ruins them. did this make savage look foolish overall? yes. but did it endear him to me? double yes.

personally, i think it's more an indictment of our puritanical, ratings-starved, celebrity-obsessed, double-standard-laden society that someone has to take whatever's thrown at him just because his job's highly visible. i'm also in favor of stars hitting paparazzi in the head with shovels.

i think i may have been misunderstanding the NFL power structure my entire life. i was under the impression that the GM oversees the players. he's in control of scouting, drafting and free agency, but i thought that was the limit of his powers. does the GM also have the final say in hiring and firing of coaches? i thought that was the owner/team president's area.

Actually, if you remember, Collins and Lerner had interviewed and all but selected RAC before Savage was interviewed and named. They just had to wait until the Super Bowl was over. By that time, Savage was hired and was there when RAC was brought in. Hiring RAC was a done deal and Savage had to agree to it or he would not have been hired as GM.

Thus, came the conflict between Savage and Collins, because Collins felt he had Lerner's ear and could tell Savage what to do. We all know the story from there.

It's unfortunate this happened, As much as I support and like Savage, this is a ding against him. Yes, I like his passion, but it was a political no-no. Do I think he needs to be fired? Absolutely not. But I still wish this didn't go down like this.

I'm all for the response. For all the whining you hear about spoiled players, primadonnas and the like (BTW, whatever happened to Prima from the old board?) etc., if you look at it terms of maturity-demands-petulance>actually doing something, you can't beat an NFL fan. My guess is that the tool who sent the e-mail to Savage was honestly expecting a "Sorry that the team isn't meeting your (and my) expectations, but please be patient" response. Screw that. The moron sent a whiny e-mail and got smacked for it. As Savage said, he can go screw himself.

Dennis

Although if I were in Savage's position, I might have pointed out that I don't go to his place of work and knock the French Fry basket out of his hands.

It's unfortunate this happened, As much as I support and like Savage, this is a ding against him. Yes, I like his passion, but it was a political no-no. Do I think he needs to be fired? Absolutely not. But I still wish this didn't go down like this.

Savage is incompetent and is running the team into the ground.

Laughing stock around the league: one debacle after another. Just a couple of weeks ago, it was the Winslow Soap Opera. Now he acts like a petulant child and embarrasses not only the team but the league at large.

Savage could never carry Newsome's jock strap.

Please sell, Little Lerner.

Guest ATENEARS

My problem with these things is that the local news was calling for Savage's head last night BECAUSE of this e-mail. I'm so tired of this attitude here in America.

Who gives a shit about a God damn e-mail .... You know who should lose their job? The Defenders who are pointed out on film standing flat footed as a ball carrier runs past them, that's who. McDonald should be canned, Wright should be canned and our entire LB-corp should be canned ... then we look at who's dropping passes and who's sitting out with wussy injuries, and that's who loses their jobs too ... this is a bullshit topic.

This franchise is a skitterish one, Not because of Randy Lerner, Not because of Phil Savage, Not because of Romeo Crennel, Not because of Derek Anderson, because we have the Worst fans in all of Pro Sports. We are a whiney little spolied brat fan base that won a decision using a fax machine a dozen years ago, but lost the war and have become a never-was-who-think-they-were.

Browns fans suck and are minor leaguers.

To a point I agree with Atenears. It's an email, the people calling for Savage's job because of an email need to put things in perspective. Sure, he needs to hire a skilled PR person to screen his emails. . . so he can continue to do the work he is good at (talent evaluation, salary cap management, etc).

But to lose a job over an email like this, just silly.

We are a whiney little spolied brat fan base that won a decision using a fax machine a dozen years ago, but lost the war and have become a never-was-who-think-they-were.

Browns fans suck and are minor leaguers.

Speak for yourself.

There's nothing spoiled brat about the Browns fans I know. They don't suck and are very knowledgable about football.

Is there some portion of the fanbase that meets your definition? Sure. Probably a similar percentage for every franchise.

Sheesh, talk about hyperbole.

Archived