THE BROWNS BOARD

Fujita signed...

BrownsBacker85

Cleveland Browns sign linebacker Scott Fujita, who helped New Orleans Saints win the Super Bowl

By Tony Grossi

March 07, 2010, 4:41PM

NewOrleansSaints.comScott Fujita is expected to play a key role at linebacker in the Cleveland Browns' 3-4 defense.The Cleveland Browns have confirmed the signing of former New Orleans Saints linebacker Scott Fujita.

Fujita, 30, was an unrestricted free agent. He started at outside linebacker the last four seasons, including last season, when the Saints won the Super Bowl. The Saints did not believe he would leave them because of his strong ties to the New Orleans community.

The 6-5, 250-pound Fujita was picked by the Kansas City Chiefs in the fifth round of the 2002 draft out of California. He played three years with the Chiefs and one with the Dallas Cowboys before going to New Orleans.

Fujita could be a candidate to move to the inside in the Browns 3-4 defense. Terms of the contract were not immediately known.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
New Orleans Saints run defense plays with "swagger,'' stuffs offense in 9-on-9 goal line

Strongside linebacker Scott Fujita credited the defensive line for setting the tone.

"When you get down to goal line, it's about d-line play and how they step up and how they knock back the offensive line,'' Fujita said. "There wasn't a whole lot for anybody else to do today because they were knocking them back 3 yards off the line of scrimmage. When you do that, it makes goal line defense pretty easy.''

Goal Line Stand

I hope he can bring some of that swagger with him to Cleveland.

I like the move. Last year towards the end we had no playcalller on the field. Im still hoping to keep Jackson. This definately solidifies our LB corp. Our starters are now:

Wimbley, Jackson, Barton, Fujita. We also have great depth with: Roth, Maiava, Vekune, Bowens, Trusnik

I like the move. Last year towards the end we had no playcalller on the field. Im still hoping to keep Jackson. This definately solidifies our LB corp. Our starters are now:

Wimbley, Jackson, Barton, Fujita. We also have great depth with: Roth, Maiava, Vekune, Bowens, Trusnik

Roth's are best linebacker he'll start for sure, Im hoping Jackson signs with somebody else so we can get that 2nd rd. pick then we end up with Wimbley, Fujita, Maiava, Roth starting

Bowens, Barton, Veikune, Trusnik backing up

Roth's are best linebacker he'll start for sure, Im hoping Jackson signs with somebody else so we can get that 2nd rd. pick then we end up with Wimbley, Fujita, Maiava, Roth starting Bowens, Barton, Vekune, Trusnik backing up

Jackson leaving is the last thing we need

just makes another hole at ILB

Roth's are best linebacker he'll start for sure, Im hoping Jackson signs with somebody else so we can get that 2nd rd. pick then we end up with Wimbley, Fujita, Maiava, Roth starting Bowens, Barton, Vekune, Trusnik backing up

David Bowens(LILB) Scott Fujita(RILB)

Matt Roth(LOLB) Coleman(LE) Rogers/or Rubin (DT) Smith(RE) Kamerion Wimbley(ROLB)

That's the projection for next year's starting lineup, assuming everyone stays, including Big Baby.

David Bowens(LILB) Scott Fujita(RILB)

Matt Roth(LOLB) Coleman(LE) Rogers/or Rubin (DT) Smith(RE) Kamerion Wimbley(ROLB)

That's the projection for next year's starting lineup, assuming everyone stays, including Big Baby.

Not exactly a menacing group, but solid none the less! I definitely can get excited about the direction we are starting to move in.

I think we have the depth that we can afford to lose him for a second round pick. You can find good ILB's in the 4th and 5th rounds if needed, then you can use that 2nd rd. pick to address another position

I am not so sure I would be completely willing to give up on Jackson yet. I still think he has the potential to be a good ILB for us. Now "potential" is a dangerous word! Anyone who has coached or has been around any sort of athletics knows alot of potentially great athletes that just never reached the ability everyone thought they had. So I would side with the camp that would keep Jackson and give him a chance to play healthy and see if he can reach his potential!

I think we have the depth that we can afford to lose him for a second round pick. You can find good ILB's in the 4th and 5th rounds if needed , then you can use that 2nd rd. pick to address another position

:rolleyes:

why make another hole? why not use that pick to fill a diffrent hole on top of losing our best LB (yes he is better then Roth who played great a whole 5 games, Jacksons been great since he was drafted)

Roths definitely gonna start on the outside in my opinion. I think Fujitas going to be our run-stopping ILB.

Big guy, 6'5", 250, and Heckert said he can play either. I like the pick up, SMART move

Wimbley, Jackson, Fujita, and Roth would be a great group of starters. Our linebacking corps looks pretty solid. The secondary is by far our biggest problem, er... besides QB anyway.

Eric Berry would be fantasic!... Im keepin hope alive, i hope he falls. Haden worried me wih his forty time. I usually dont pay attention to that crap but over 2.5...cmon buddy, they have months to get ready. they know the drills

Roths definitely gonna start on the outside in my opinion. I think Fujitas going to be our run-stopping ILB.

Big guy, 6'5", 250, and Heckert said he can play either. I like the pick up, SMART move

Wimbley, Jackson, Fujita, and Roth would be a great group of starters. Our linebacking corps looks pretty solid. The secondary is by far our biggest problem, er... besides QB anyway.

Eric Berry would be fantasic!... Im keepin hope alive, i hope he falls. Haden worried me wih his forty time. I usually dont pay attention to that crap but over 2.5...cmon buddy, they have months to get ready. they know the drills

Don't get me wrong, i am not a big Joe Haden fan at all, truthfully don't really think he is the guy. But, many analyst have stated that his technique was horrible out of the gate when running his 40, and when you are talking tenths of a second that surely can make a huge difference. My worry with Hadden is the talk of him and how stiff he was during drills, if he is that tightly wound for the combine just what is he going to be like lining up opposite some of the recievers in just our division alone.

I think Roth showed alot in the role he played last year, I would want to see the same continue through camp before I commited to starting him.

As for Berry, I would be more than a little giddy if he fell to us at #7, He is IMO the biggest immediate impact player in the draft. You better have them laced up tight when he unloads on you!

:rolleyes:

why make another hole? why not use that pick to fill a diffrent hole on top of losing our best LB (yes he is better then Roth who played great a whole 5 games, Jacksons been great since he was drafted)

Because I dont think its a significant drop off from Jackson to Barton, Fujita, Maiva. Sure Jackson might be a little better but I'l take a slight dropoff at ILB to pick up a extra 2nd round pick to draft a CB or S. CB's are on a island every play so if there bad you'll get exposed like we have. LB's weaknesses can be hidden in schemes and stunts. JMO

Because I dont think its a significant drop off from Jackson to Barton, Fujita, Maiva. Sure Jackson might be a little better but I'l take a slight dropoff at ILB to pick up a extra 2nd round pick to draft a CB or S. CB's are on a island every play so if there bad you'll get exposed like we have. LB's weaknesses can be hidden in schemes and stunts. JMO

LOL oh boy thanks for the laughs

do the steelers have a great secondary? no they do their damage with their front 7

how about balitmore? Indy? Jets? Eagles?

the Front 7 wins games, not secondary

CB's are on island, but that island can have a whole different look depending on the job of your front! It can either mean you are on vacation in paradise or stranded and LOST! If you can get pressure on the QB your CB's have less time to cover and can make plays easier. Take the Jets philosophy when they signed Cromartie, they said basically with the pressure they can put on a QB, their Corners only have to lockdown for 2-3 seconds rather than try to cover a reciever all over the field. So IMO you start improving your secondary by making your line good and build it with players stout against the run and able to quickly get pressure on the QB from the ends.

oh, lets get rid of the guy that has led our team in tackles for 3 straight years, (not including last year). Some Browns fans just dont get it, I've heard too many assnine statement lately.

Maiava?... are you serious?...

Thats a Gigantic drop-off

oh, lets get rid of the guy that has led our team in tackles for 3 straight years, (not including last year). Some Browns fans just dont get it, I've heard too many assnine statement lately.

bu...bu....but we would get an unknown, unproven player with that 2nd round pick :rolleyes:

CB's are on island, but that island can have a whole different look depending on the job of your front! It can either mean you are on vacation in paradise or stranded and LOST! If you can get pressure on the QB your CB's have less time to cover and can make plays easier. Take the Jets philosophy when they signed Cromartie, they said basically with the pressure they can put on a QB, their Corners only have to lockdown for 2-3 seconds rather than try to cover a reciever all over the field. So IMO you start improving your secondary by making your line good and build it with players stout against the run and able to quickly get pressure on the QB from the ends.

I'd agree with some of that but Rex Ryans philosophy is to send more players than they can block. In order to do that you have to have corners that can cover man to man. Revis is probably the best in the game and Cromartie is a damn good #2. When you dont have to use LB's to help in pass coverage it makes it alot easier to stop the run and get pressure on the QB

Andra Davis led us in tackles every year to, thats not saying much

its not lke our defensive production suffered without jackson.....we actually got better....

lets not over-value him....bowens played better outta place.

another second would be a blessing.[/quote]

we were giving up 126 rushing YPG with DJ

without him.............163

all another 2nd does is put an unproven unknown player on the team its not a blessing

sounds like you under-value him and show your clueless

Archived