THE BROWNS BOARD

Fujita signed...

BrownsBacker85

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anyone else notice Saints fans are nice as hell? Damn I wish Stooler trolls would take notes... unfortunately that requires the ability to write however :wacko:

We have a thing in N.O. called hospitality. We respect other teams and their forums.

I am embarrassed to be posting here, because I do know I do not belong, but I did so that you would know what a great player Fujita is. I do a apologize if I have over step my intent. I think you will enjoy when we play, we do not hate down in the big easy, its football, fun, food, and friendship. you will be welcome.

We have a thing in N.O. called hospitality. We respect other teams and their forums.

I am embarrassed to be posting here, because I do know I do not belong, but I did so that you would know what a great player Fujita is. I do a apologize if I have over step my intent. I think you will enjoy when we play, we do not hate down in the big easy, its football, fun, food, and friendship. you will be welcome.

No reason to be embarrassed you're welcome here any time.

I browsed the Saints forums and saw how impactful Fujita was to your club/city. No need to worry because he will be quickly embraced by Cleveland based on his character/class alone. We love blue collar guys.

Good luck to your team next season, minus the Browns game ;)

I love this signing!

This is the type of signing that free agency was made for. A low-risk, consistant, hard working, veteran with 4 to 5 years left in him. Perfect! I know a lot of fans want to sign guys who will eventually make the cover of Madden, but this Fujita signing is perfect. Everytime this guy was a free agent I wanted him, and now, he's here. Solid, solid choice. And now for Saints fans to make it a point to come in here and praise him, I feel 10 times better about it. This is the signing that Jamir Miller, Willie McGinnest, and Chris Spielman were suppost to be. I think that in and of itself should tell us fans how much better equipped this new regime is at building a team.

Wow. This thread has morphed to talk about Grass Stained Ass Jackson? It is amazing to me that he has any fans at all. GSA is the current version of Wali. Certain fans love him (them) because of where he was (they were) drafted and/or because of his (their) stats on a lousy defensive team.

This signing was a good move. GSA Jackson is a special teamer on most NFL rosters.

Right. The post title is "Fujita signed...". WTF, talk about getting off track. I think Fujita will be a great addition.

Probably not the big splash that everyone's looking for, but he's a solid player.

Gret addition welcome aboard!

Nothing wrong with 'solid' players. Every team needs them. You can layer the 'exceptional/skill' players on a foundation of solid players. This one is only 30 years old.

Another upgrade.

Hey all, Saints fan here. Just wanted to comment on your pick up of Fujita. He is a solid starter, and a very inelligent football player. He lacks the physical talent to ever be a superstar LB, but he makes up for it with his knowledge and leadership on the field. I was sorry to see him go, but thats how football goes these days. Not only is he a leader on the field, but he was also very active in the community here, I think you will find this to be a very good pick up for yall. I'm glad yall threw some decent money at him so at least now we can sign a free agent. I really hate the limitiations put on the top 4 finishing teams, but I guess thats the price you pay for finally winning a Superbowl. Anyway, good luck to yall and hope Fujita does well for yall.

:ph34r:

^^^^^ hits like that are a dime a dozen in the NFL. heck even Elam and Adams make them occasionally. i wonder how expensive the top 10 picks will be without a cap in place? let's just get the hell away from them altogether, save some contract headaches.

on topic: great signing.

Fujita will make the whole LB core better, including D'Q J.

a HUGE addition with value in many ways>>ferocious starting LB, a leader on the field, a leader off the field, great teammate, a mentor, a model citizen with history of heavy community involvement, a former Saints team captain and defensive signal caller who donated half his postseason paycheck to charity.....at 4.75 M per year? what a steal. good job EM/H3.

Wait until the bandwagoners show up.

Cleveland Browns sign linebacker Scott Fujita, who helped New Orleans Saints win the Super Bowl

By Tony Grossi

March 07, 2010, 4:41PM

NewOrleansSaints.comScott Fujita is expected to play a key role at linebacker in the Cleveland Browns' 3-4 defense.The Cleveland Browns have confirmed the signing of former New Orleans Saints linebacker Scott Fujita.

Fujita, 30, was an unrestricted free agent. He started at outside linebacker the last four seasons, including last season, when the Saints won the Super Bowl. The Saints did not believe he would leave them because of his strong ties to the New Orleans community.

The 6-5, 250-pound Fujita was picked by the Kansas City Chiefs in the fifth round of the 2002 draft out of California. He played three years with the Chiefs and one with the Dallas Cowboys before going to New Orleans.

Fujita could be a candidate to move to the inside in the Browns 3-4 defense. Terms of the contract were not immediately known.

4 Games all yr. under 20 Points. One game all yr/ Under 300 yrs Tot Defense (add One in playoffs)The Saints aint exactly a Defensive Haven. (12 games they forced or at least Received Turnovers) That was their nitch. Though 2 games in the Post season were in the Teens. Fujita a Good LB ... but idk how good.

No reason to be embarrassed you're welcome here any time.

I browsed the Saints forums and saw how impactful Fujita was to your club/city. No need to worry because he will be quickly embraced by Cleveland based on his character/class alone. We love blue collar guys.

Good luck to your team next season, minus the Browns game ;)

Hey thanks Koa,

Same to you as well, hope you guys have a great season with no injuries. Makes me feel a little better knowing Fujita and his family will be surrounded by classy fans with a love for the game.

Wait until the bandwagoners show up.

ya we know, it has already started, so sad and there not even from New Orleans, aahh well , we bane and attack then on others boards when we can. If one shows up here for our game just tell him "you better hope a real saints fan doesn't show up". We have a code of fan conduct posted on the saint team site, tell them to read it.

Fujita embraces Cleveland’s turnaround mission

By BRETT MARTEL, AP Sports Writer

In 2006, against the advice of friends and loved ones, he chose to join a New Orleans Saints team coming off a 3-13 campaign and playing home games in a disaster-stricken city under a rookie coach.

Four years later, Fujita was starring in a commemorative video released this week chronicling the Saints’ uplifting run to the first championship in the franchise’s 43-year history.

“I’ve always enjoyed the process of trying to turn teams around,” Fujita said by phone from his offseason home near Monterey, Calif. “We did that in New Orleans and I’m so excited about the opportunity to try to do that again.”

On Sunday, Fujita agreed to a three-year, $14 million free-agent contract with the Cleveland Browns, with $8 million guaranteed.

Fujita, who’ll be 31 next season, said he wasn’t looking to leave New Orleans, a city for which he’s repeatedly professed his affection.

Rather, he was courted by the Browns, who offered a generous contract, a more central role in their defense than he had in New Orleans—and the chance to be part of another uplifting story in a place that could use more of them.

“It’s obviously tough leaving because everyone knows how much we love New Orleans. … My affection for the city will never change,” Fujita said. “Realistically, making this decision wasn’t all that difficult because the Saints made the decision easy for me. They didn’t put forth too much effort and I understand that completely.

“They have a lot of young guys now that they need to start paying some money to and that’s just part of the business,” he continued. “The Browns had a demand and I think they see a good role for me to come in and help turn that team around.”

For Fujita, New Orleans’ recovery from Hurricane Katrina was something to experience rather than avoid. Even as he returns to grab some things from his residence in New Orleans’ warehouse district in the next few weeks, he’ll be continuing his community service efforts on behalf of the city. Fujita said he’ll be donating half of his $83,000 player’s share from the Super Bowl to two charities, one in Haiti and one in Louisiana that is dedicated to coastal restoration.

He also plans to appear in public service announcements promoting coastal restoration efforts, which are critical to south Louisiana’s defense against tidal surges caused by hurricanes.

“We love New Orleans whether we were going to be there or not, so we wanted to help any way we can to protect the city,” Fujita said. “We plan on keeping a home there, and when I’m there, I’m there to serve.”

Cleveland fans can look forward to Fujita taking a similar approach in their city.

Fujita is well aware of the economic hardship that has hit Cleveland and double-digit unemployment rates across much of Ohio.

“I do know the city to a certain extent is suffering right now,” Fujita said. “Unemployment is really high and I know they’re craving to have football be big again. You always hear about Cleveland fans. It’s a storied franchise, a lot of championships back in the day. And they want great football again.”

In some ways, Fujita is coming into a situation in Cleveland that was more promising than the one he first joined in New Orleans. Although the Browns went 5-11 last season, they appeared to be moving in the right direction when they closed the season with four straight wins. When Mike Holmgren was hired as team president, he saw enough evidence of improvement to retain head coach Eric Mangini.

Fujita also has a history with Browns defensive coordinator Rob Ryan, who was a linebackers coach with the Patriots when Fujita entered the league in 2002. Fujita expected to be drafted by the Patriots, but Kansas City took him in the fifth round. While with Oakland in 2006, Ryan made another push for Fujita, who chose New Orleans instead.

“Now it’s a chance for me to go and work with (Ryan), a guy I’ve respected for a long time,” Fujita said.

Saints quarterback Drew Brees(notes) said Fujita will be missed in New Orleans, where he was considered “a great leader, a great locker room guy.”

“When we talk about our core guys, it was the guys there from that 2006 team,” Brees said.

Fujita will miss out on the Saints’ quest to repeat as champions. Instead, barring an unforeseen setback, he’ll be lining up against Brees in the Louisiana Superdome when the Browns visit the Saints next season.

“To not be a part of that repeat challenge, am I saddened by it? I kind of expected to be there and be able to help with that,” Fujita said. “But now I’m on to the same mission, which is to win a championship and try to bring that to Cleveland.”

Archived