THE BROWNS BOARD

Seneca Wallace traded to Cleveland

DAWGPOUND16

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I honestly believe that he was brought in to compete for the starting job with Quinn. If you really look at his spot start stats he is not a bad QB. He is very smart, accurate QB but seemed to take quite a bit of sacks. The sacks things can be be fixed with a good O-Line, a running game and quicker reads. I am content dropping Andersons overpaid butt along with the Ratt and moving on with Quinn, Wallace and a drafted Qb that can develop. Once again Holmgrem going after needs!!!!! I think we finally got a FO that actually gets it!!!!!!

Too many people doubt the undersized Qb's such as Jeff Garcia, Drew Brees. One thing that short Qb's usually have going for them is their accuracy which is verrrrrrry important.

but you see you can nabe 3 or 4 guys that can play at that height and make it work in the nfl, problem is: one guy won the suoerbowl, one guy's basically out of football and the other guy is selling'ring-dings' out of his ice cream truck.

each individual coming from other teams to come here and join the new sea elephant/lion/manatee front orrifice has their own blow boys. mangini will go undercover to the jet's lockerroom and try to lure his 'boys' back to cleveland. now we got the walrus gut clenching the carpet in the film room and when one of his miscreants from seattle or grn bay or sanfran says something positive he'll clap with those two big fins of his and do the honk honk laugh, which means heckert has to wait another week to talk the walrus into kolb or vick, all thewhilst mangini is peering around the corner of the bleachesr hoping he can snag a little one on one with mangold. gosh! i love these fags!

As i said in the other thread, looking at his progression, i think the guy is ready to step his game up a notch and be a pretty good NFL QB.

Reminds me a bit of Gerrard in Jville.

The countdon to DA's departure has begun...I think the only way DA remains in Cleveland now is if he tells MH he is willing to renegotiate his contract for the NFL minimum plus incentives to stay with the team (not likely) or he gets snowed in at Hopkins and can't leave (more likely).

To be honest I didn't know much about Wallace a few weeks ago when the rumors about him started circulationg but after looking at his stats he has played roughly a season worth of football (14 games) with at least slightly above average numbers. If someone were to just look at the stats alone I think he would be the clear starter right now but let's wait to see what he can do with the guys on our team before that decision is made.

IMO BQ will be holding the clipboard again this season or traded unless he shows a lot of improvement.

I honestly believe that he was brought in to compete for the starting job with Quinn.

Holmgren has said there won't be a competition this year. The only way Brady stays is if he is going to accept being a backup imho. It is possible that Wallace is going to be the backup with someone else coming in but I doubt it.

SI_PeterKing RT @peterzefo:What does acquisition of Seneca Wallace mean for Browns current QBs? ... Simple. Wallace will be No. 2--to someone.

2 minutes ago via TweetDeck

also, for the hell of it

SI_PeterKing RT @ironcitypat: I wonder if a guy like Roethlisberger ever thinks about the little kids wearing his jersey? ... Doubt it. But he should.

2 minutes ago via TweetDeck

Just had a thought. First I thought we must have dealt one of our QBs because why would Seattle get rid of their backup with such a fragile QB at the healm? Since we didn't, it must mean Seattle is going for QB with their first pick. This very well could mean Berry falls to us. Pat Kirwan actually has Berry going at #10.

I have followed the Seahawks the past couple of years as I tend to follow Notre Dame players in the NFL. Seneca Wallace is a solid backup (I don't know about best in the league), is a kind of Tony Romo-lite kind of guy. He certainly doesn't suck, is athletic, and has put up nice numbers in the WCO. I'd start him over Anderson in a heartbeat. He does have a problem getting it in the endzone though. He tossed only 1 TD per 40 attempts last season, while Hass was better than 1/30, and even Quinn was better. And Wallace had a much better receiving corps.

Is the thought that this means the Browns will draft a QB and develop him under Wallace? I'm not even certain Wallace would win out a QB competition against Quinn, even if Wallace is comfy with the offense. And he's widely regarded as having a low top-end. So I'm not sure what to make of the move.

I like the move. Seneca Wallace helps add to the QB depth and will come in and be a solid backup at the very least. He might not be the best but it is already an upgrade over Ratliff.

At his best, he ends up taking over the reigns of the Browns and plays solid ball.

At his worst, he'll be a solid back-up who know's his role.

the only thing that it shows me is that anderson is gone. other than that, it's only march so it's useless to speculate unless quinn goes before the draft.

i wouldn't be surprised at all to see DA restructure his contract to stay here. Cutting him is one thing but then you would have to keep Quinn.

Let me put on my GM hat for a second. I have DA who is due money that he just doesn't deserve. I have shown that I am fair by giving Cribbs a new deal although he has 3 years left. Now I can approach DA with a lower contract and job security. If he takes it, Quinn can be dealt for a 4th or 5th rounder or packaged with another player in a deal. Afterall, DA has almost no value in the trade market. Still, I want a legit backup on this team with knowledge of this complex offense, I gotta keep one of them. If DA doesn't take the new deal, I cut him and try and trade Quinn for a vet like Pennington as he knows this offense. If he does take the deal, I package Quinn and try and get another vet in here.

Either way I see it, I don't want Quinn on my roster unless he's starting as he is a MAJOR distraction when in the bench. And I don't feel comfortable making him the starter because he is just as bad as DA. I have to trade him. DA can only stay if he takes less money.

PS. Although Seneca isn't Drew Brees or D. McNabb, he is better than either of our guys right now and if I were coach, out of the 3 he is the most worth-while project to get behind as a starter.

i wouldn't be surprised at all to see DA restructure his contract to stay here. Cutting him is one thing but then you would have to keep Quinn.

Let me put on my GM hat for a second. I have DA who is due money that he just doesn't deserve. I have shown that I am fair by giving Cribbs a new deal although he has 3 years left. Now I can approach DA with a lower contract and job security. If he takes it, Quinn can be dealt for a 4th or 5th rounder or packaged with another player in a deal. Afterall, DA has almost no value in the trade market. Still, I want a legit backup on this team with knowledge of this complex offense, I gotta keep one of them. If DA doesn't take the new deal, I cut him and try and trade Quinn for a vet like Pennington as he knows this offense. If he does take the deal, I package Quinn and try and get another vet in here.

Either way I see it, I don't want Quinn on my roster unless he's starting as he is a MAJOR distraction when in the bench. And I don't feel comfortable making him the starter because he is just as bad as DA. I have to trade him. DA can only stay if he takes less money.

PS. Although Seneca isn't Drew Brees or D. McNabb, he is better than either of our guys right now and if I were coach, out of the 3 he is the most worth-while project to get behind as a starter.

Why do you want to trade BQ so much?

He sucks.

BQ made the unfortunate mistake of wanting to play for the browns and thats why he sucks..just like every other qb we have had for 10 years cleveland is a graveyard for rookie quarterbacks...

Heres to hoping holmgren can rid us of this qb curse and the pathetic football culture that leads to it with or without bq but i wouldnt bank on it.

Why do you want to trade BQ so much?

If Wallace was definitely brought in to be the starter and Quinn the backup, it might make sense to keep Quinn. If Wallace was brought in with the idea of him being a backup to someone, then it makes sense to trade Quinn. Quinn as a starter? What's the sense in starting an NFL Qb that hasn't shown much of an ability throw more than 3-7 yards downfield? Anderson did quite well behind a healthy line with receivers that can catch the ball, still won more (and a higher percentage) games than any QB on the Browns roster when the team had neither a line or receivers that could catch. It'd be a crap shoot to keep him, but if they can't bring in a legit starter he might be worth negotiating a cheaper deal and giving a full preseason (he's NEVER had that) and 10 games to coach up with the idea that he's benched for Wallace and gone if he doesn't pan out. It all depends on whether the team brass is looking at a one year turnaround or a 2-3 year project. Holmgren's said that no QB would thrive when the line can't protect and the receivers can't catch, sounds like QB isn't his top priority to me.

Odds are fair that the Browns bring in another QB, dump all of last season's QBs, and draft a potential future QB, but if they're keeping one QB on the roster it makes more sense to keep Anderson if they can get the price down or intend to try him as a starter.

Now we need to draft a solid mid-round qb and let Holmgren work his magic!!!

holmgren said he's not going to coach, so it will be up to brian daboll and carl smith to work the 'magic'. (god help us!)

acquiring wallace just seems like a lateral move. nothing really gained. now we get to watch a midget run around for an hour and toss up a couple int's every game. it's looking more and more like we'll have to draft a lefevour or pike and hope quinn or whoever can last a while so the kid doesn't have to go in the game and get killed, ala tim couch.

It seems to me that they've just brought in a solid backup. Now they're free to get rid of one of the two guys they've done the revolving starter thing with. There still may be another QB in the picture soon, then both DA and BQ are gone, but for now it's a good move.

holmgren said he's not going to coach, so it will be up to brian daboll and carl smith to work the 'magic'. (god help us!)

acquiring wallace just seems like a lateral move. nothing really gained. now we get to watch a midget run around for an hour and toss up a couple int's every game. it's looking more and more like we'll have to draft a lefevour or pike and hope quinn or whoever can last a while so the kid doesn't have to go in the game and get killed, ala tim couch.

While it is true that Daboll will be the coach of whatever qb's we get, I bet that Both him and mangina have strings tighly wrapped around there balls to make sure they are doing what the "Prez" wants lol

While it is true that Daboll will be the coach of whatever qb's we get, I bet that Both him and mangina have strings tighly wrapped around there balls to make sure they are doing what the "Prez" wants lol

Greatest line I have heard in this whole thread. Daboll is going to have a Holmgren in his ear every game telling him exactly what to call and the plays will be called out of the 'holmgren' play book definitely not Dabolls.

Archived