THE BROWNS BOARD

Released Cleveland Browns QB Derek Anderson will not have trouble finding a new team

daydawg19

Tony Grossi's blog: Released Cleveland Browns QB Derek Anderson will not have trouble finding a new team

By Tony Grossi

March 09, 2010, 3:17PM

Derek Anderson heard his share of boos in Cleveland despite providing Browns fans with one of the best offensive seasons in 20 years.CLEVELAND -- Say what you want about Derek Anderson's inconsistency, his penchant for turnovers near the goal line, his inaccurate throws on short passes, his questionable decision-making in pressure situations.

Anderson, who was unceremoniously released in a two-paragraph statement by the Browns today, made a lot of people a lot of money with his rifle arm.

Himself, Phil Savage, Romeo Crennel and Rob Chudzinski -- to name four.

Anderson rescued the Browns in 2007 when he took over for starting quarterback Charlie Frye in the second half of the first game of the season. Unburdened by a nagging, pre-season competition with Frye, Anderson materialized, seemingly out of nowhere, to have a Pro Bowl season.

He won 10 of his 15 starts, threw for 3,787 yards and 29 touchdowns (against 19 interceptions), posted an above-average passer rating of 82.5, and earned a trip to the Pro Bowl after other QBs dropped out because of injuries.

Anderson was scheduled to become a restricted free agent the following March. But rather than tag Anderson with the contract tender that would have netted the Browns first- and third-round draft choices in compensation if they lost him, Savage panicked and re-signed Anderson to a contract befitting an established star quarterback.

Savage later said he suspected Dallas would sign Anderson to an offer sheet with the intention of trading him to Bill Parcells and the Miami Dolphins. Obviously, he should have called the bluff.

Anderson signed a three-year deal for about $24 million, including about $14 million in guarantees.

Distributing the ball to Braylon Edwards, Kellen Winslow and Joe Jurevicius on a regular basis, with Jamal Lewis kicking in 1,304 yards rushing, Anderson led the Browns to their best offensive showing in 20 years and within one win of the playoffs.

After the season, owner Randy Lerner gave three-year contract extensions to Savage, the GM who brought Anderson from Baltimore in a shrewd waiver pickup; to Crennel, who posted his only winning season as coach; and to Chudzinski, the offensive coordinator who was being wooed by Baltimore for a head coach interview.

Anderson's breakout year, ultimately, had a negative effect on the Browns' fortunes.

It forestalled the original plan to turn over the team to 2007 first-round draft pick Brady Quinn and no doubt impeded Quinn's growth as an NFL quarterback.

It was still Anderson's team when everyone returned for the 2008 training camp. Everything started unraveling in the second preseason game against the Giants when Anderson suffered a concussion and numerous other regulars on offense were injured. Most of the main playmakers did not play the following two exhibition games. The season-opener against Dallas was like the resumption of preseason.

The 2008 season blew up in everyone's faces and at the end, Lerner fired Savage, Crennel, and Chudzinski. Everybody but Anderson, who was never the same. Like Quinn, he regressed in the new offense brought in by new coach Eric Mangini.

Anderson wanted out of Cleveland and did not even visit with Mike Holmgren in the six weeks he had been on the job as president. Holmgren released Anderson less than 24 hours after trading for Seattle backup Seneca Wallace.

Anderson's contract had a huge escalation in 2010, to $7.45 million in base salary, plus a $2 million roster bonus owed on March 19. That made it impossible to trade him.

But don't think he will be ignored on the open market. He's big, young (still only 26) and his arm is easy to love. He's a seasoned NFL starter now and should appeal to many coaches. Possible destinations include Arizona, Seattle, Carolina and St. Louis.

I think DA will be a starter if he goes to AZ, SEA, or STL. He got ripped here by over eager BQ fans and got frustrated and tanked. It didnt help he had an inept OC and WRs that couldnt catch AIDS in a whore house.

I didnt like seeing how after he threw a pick he would just put his head down and walk to the sidelines like the play was over.

With a good coaching staff he will be at worst a really good backup some where else. I wish him the best.

I think DA will be a starter if he goes to AZ, SEA, or STL. He got ripped here by over eager BQ fans and got frustrated and tanked. It didnt help he had an inept OC and WRs that couldnt catch AIDS in a whore house.

I didnt like seeing how after he threw a pick he would just put his head down and walk to the sidelines like the play was over.

With a good coaching staff he will be at worst a really good backup some where else. I wish him the best.

I wish you a return to reality.

Derek Anderson is what he is a big armed QB..................destined for medicocrity. The funny thing about releasing Anderson is what it was, POLITICS. Brady Quinn sucks huge and Anderson is better but it is huge to make the fans believe loser Quinn is real. HE SUCKS. PROVEN IN EVERY BIG GAME HE PLAYED.

So here we are again! Will Holmgren cease the politics and things move forward................or just another dumbass as Savage

It will be fun to let this play out...........................sorry to say.................who he owns better have smarts whispering or he owns will just keep filling the spaces with feces

Look for DA to get an MRI/CT scan to prove the concussion and knee are OK, then have several interviews, and in a few weeks he'll be making a few mil a year again.

Some people here act like it was DA holding the Browns back. Hardly the case.

Good luck to him wherever he ends up. Now it'll be interesting to see if another big move is made at QB, I think it might be likely.

Derek Anderson is what he is a big armed QB..................destined for medicocrity. The funny thing about releasing Anderson is what it was, POLITICS. Brady Quinn sucks huge and Anderson is better but it is huge to make the fans believe loser Quinn is real. HE SUCKS. PROVEN IN EVERY BIG GAME HE PLAYED.

So here we are again! Will Holmgren cease the politics and things move forward................or just another dumbass as Savage

It will be fun to let this play out...........................sorry to say.................who he owns better have smarts whispering or he owns will just keep filling the spaces with feces

Unless Holmgren strikes out on several fronts, Quinn will not be on the Browns' opening day roster. Nobody is as inept as Savage. How many times did he get hosed by his favorite trading partner Jimmy Jones?? The same Jimmy Jones that gave up the bank for Roy Williams!!

Politics? The Browns desperately wanted DA to be the man, and he failed. As Grossi noted, it cost a few people their jobs.

He had a great run in 2007, until he died down the stretch (AZ, Cin). His big arm simply never was good enough for basic touch passes most NFL QBs can make. Most Browns fans, including myself, thank DA for a great 2007 season, but he never regained that form.

Let's see if DA lands in AZ, and can flourish there...he would have fantastic WRs, and a running game. He would be playing in immaculate conditions in Glendale.

He had a great run in 2007, until he died down the stretch (AZ, Cin). His big arm simply never was good enough for basic touch passes most NFL QBs can make.

you mean like those that quinn throws? under 15 yards and the receiver better have a bulletproof vest. over 15 and you don't have to worry about it. the receiver will be in the end zone while the ball lands listlessly in the first row of the stands off the 20 yard line.

It was time we parted ways with him. If he has Larry Fitzgarald to throw to, he will be fine. The crazy thing is he is only 26 years old, he can still be taught a few new things. As much as i hated you for all your int's, the 2007 season was fun to actually watch as a browns fan.

Politics? The Browns desperately wanted DA to be the man, and he failed. As Grossi noted, it cost a few people their jobs.He had a great run in 2007, until he died down the stretch (AZ, Cin). His big arm simply never was good enough for basic touch passes most NFL QBs can make. Most Browns fans, including myself, thank DA for a great 2007 season, but he never regained that form.Let's see if DA lands in AZ, and can flourish there...he would have fantastic WRs, and a running game. He would be playing in immaculate conditions in Glendale.

hey Bob-O. forgive me for being presumptuous, but what can you tell us about Seneca?

do you know if he is Native American?

hey Bob-O. forgive me for being presumptuous, but what can you tell us about Seneca?

do you know if he is Native American?

Over my head on that one....

you mean like those that quinn throws? under 15 yards and the receiver better have a bulletproof vest. over 15 and you don't have to worry about it. the receiver will be in the end zone while the ball lands listlessly in the first row of the stands off the 20 yard line.

Uh oh, another DA vs. BQ thread...ain't going there.

ok, well do you have any interesting anecdotes then? an unremarkable story even?

or was that just the last avatar available?

I happen to like that avatar, it was here long before Holmgren came from Seattle. I happen to hate the Seahawks (along with about 31 other NFL teams), so I thought is was funny.

What the hell? I have no idea.

He's calling him an AZZHOLE!

That's shit I learned on the bus in grade school.

Kinda Funny though.

Sounds all well and good for a movie, but the fact is, that team respects the hell out of him. Remember he was voted their MVP in 2007. Granted, their will be about a 99% roster turnover from 2007 but again, he didn't bash the team, he bashed the clueless fans that cheered his injury.

Want to retract any of that statement?

I think the pressure really got to DA. He couldn't handle it all to well.

That is why the late season collapse in 2007 and after. Anytime people expected something from him, he couldn't deliver.

When no one was looking, he could play.

He's calling him an AZZHOLE!

That's shit I learned on the bus in grade school.

Kinda Funny though.

That could be it, but it could be that he's just playing the world's smallest violin. That's what my father used to do to me whenever I complained about something or was bitching like a baby over something that was out of my control.

He would just rub his forefinger and thumb together and say, "I'm playing the world's smallest violin".

Or it could be some sort of inside joke between them.

Archived