THE BROWNS BOARD

Derek Anderson Blasts YOU

Earl34

From the News-Herald....

By Jeff Schudel

JSchudel@News-Herald.com

Derek Anderson's contract was terminated on Tuesday.

His parting message to Browns fans will ring long after his passing statistics from the past five years fade into obscurity.

"The fans are ruthless and don't deserve a winner," Anderson wrote Tuesday in a terse e-mail when asked for a reaction to being released. "I will never forget getting cheered when I was injured.

"I know at times I wasn't great. I hope and pray I'm playing when my team comes to town and (we) roll them."

Anderson was cut one day after the Browns traded an undisclosed 2011 draft choice to the Seahawks for quarterback Seneca Wallace.

In the weeks leading up to the trade for Wallace, which occurred on the fourth day trades could be made this winter, Browns president Mike Holmgren remained vague on his assessment of Anderson and Brady Quinn.

He would say Quinn hadn't played enough to be judged fairly and say Anderson had passing skills but threw too many interceptions.

Holmgren said he met with Quinn once after moving into team headquarters in early January. He lamented never having hooked up with Anderson, who headed home to Oregon the day after the 2009 season ended. Anderson was the winning quarterback in the final two games of the four-game winning streak at the end of the season. His overall record as a Browns starter was 16-18.

"I never heard from anyone until today," Anderson wrote in his e-mail response. "Nobody ever tried to reach out to me, which is fine."

Anderson was with the Browns for five seasons after being picked up on waivers from the Ravens in 2005. He always had a strong camaraderie with his teammates in the locker room.

Anderson's high point during his time with the Browns was his Pro Bowl season in 2007, when he was 10-5 as a starter while completing 298 of 527 passes for 3,787 yards and 29 touchdowns. He threw 19 interceptions.

The low point occurred on Nov. 30, 2008, when, with 1:16 to play in a 10-6 loss to the Colts, former Browns tackle Kevin Shaffer gave up a sack to Robert Mathis. Anderson suffered a torn knee ligament on the tackle. Fans at Cleveland Browns Stadium cheered as Anderson lay on the ground in obvious pain.

Earlier in the game, with the Browns leading, 6-3, Dwight Freeney beat Joe Thomas, sacked Anderson and forced a fumble. Mathis picked up the ball and returned it 37 yards for a touchdown.

In 2008 and 2009, Anderson and Quinn were up and down as the starting quarterback. The back and forth changes, by Romeo Crennel in 2008 and by Eric Mangini in 2009, did not work out for the Browns or either player.

"I want to thank Derek for everything that he gave to the Cleveland Browns organization over the last five years," Mangini said in a statement released by the Browns, a kind sendoff that was a sharp contrast to what Anderson had to say a couple hours later. "He did everything we asked of him, and it was a pleasure to coach such a competitive person. I want to wish him all the best in the future."

Anderson never came close to matching that magical 2007 season before or after it, but his success in 2007 earned him a three-year, $24 million contract from former general manager Phil Savage.

In part, the huge contract led to his release. Anderson was due $2 million in a roster bonus a week from Friday and his 2007 contract was for $7.45 million. As Anderson was leaving the locker room after the final game of the 2009 season, he predicted his career in Cleveland was finished.

"They're not going to want to pay me that much money," he said.

This was more than a salary dump, however.

Anderson's strength was throwing the ball downfield, and that does not fit the offense the Browns are transitioning to.

Everything now points to the Browns becoming a West Coast offense — a system that emphasizes short passes to receivers in stride to open the running game. Holmgren coached the West Coast in Green Bay and Seattle for 17 years, and his right-hand man in the Browns' front office, Gil Haskell, was the offensive coordinator for Holmgren in Seattle.

During the scouting combine in Indianapolis last month, Holmgren said Haskell has been going over the nuances of the West Coast offense with Browns offensive coordinator Brian Daboll.

Wallace used the West Coast in 47 games and 14 starts with the Seahawks since 2005. Also, Quinn's talent is best suited for throwing short passes. The pecking order between Quinn and Wallace has not been defined.

General Manager Tom Heckert is expected to look for a quarterback schooled in the West Coast offense in the draft next month.

What an ass. Burn whatever bridge you had Derek. Go right ahead.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, didn't see that coming. Unfortunately you have to have thick skin in order to survive in the NFL... crying like a little girl after your're cut doesn't look good to teams looking to sign.

No wonder he failed, he couldnt handle the fire in the kitchen and it obviously affected his game

I wasn't a huge DA fan like most of you and he seems to be just another QB chewed up and spat out by the new Browns. Our shitty teams in the past have ruin the careers of men. That said I hope we got it right this time and can start to look forward to wins instead of what d-bag chump change we cut.

Didn't we laugh at Tim Couch when he got hurt too. We r fans and we pay damn good money to watch these players do their job, if its cheering for a td or for someone getting hurt, it dont matter, we still put money in their pockets. DA you have always blamed the other person for your wrong doing's. Now you are gone, and I am happy for that, thanks for the 1st Cincy game in 2007 and go F**k yourself for the 2nd one.

Didn't we laugh at Tim Couch when he got hurt too. We r fans and we pay damn good money to watch these players do their job, if its cheering for a td or for someone getting hurt, it dont matter, we still put money in their pockets. DA you have always blamed the other person for your wrong doing's. Now you are gone, and I am happy for that, thanks for the 1st Cincy game in 2007 and go F**k yourself for the 2nd one.

lol heard that

Anderson in 2008: 10 games, 9 TDs, 8 INTs, 66.5 QB rating.

Anderson in 2009: 8 games, 3 TDs, 10 INTs, 42.1 QB rating.

And he's upset with the fans? I hope he goes to Buffalo so he can deal with the same type of pissed off fans and we can beat his ass this upcoming season. Don't go away angry DA, just go away.

DumbAss proved that he is a pouty, little weakling quarterback mentally,

who was good at throwing interceptions to keep from being hit...

then, he'd laugh like he didn't care.

I hope we do play a team and he's starting...

we could get 5 or 6 interceptions and listen to his stupid excuses.

I hope the door hit him in the buttuski on the way out.

Guest Metcalf_FTW

DEREK HAS A RIGHT TO BE MAD. I love the Browns and am as loyal of a fan as there is, but you don't cheer the guy for getting injured, especially after he gave you the best season in over a decade. Browns have wonderful fans, and we also have A LOT of white trash hillbillies who don't know squat about the game that love to just act like a drunken fool in the stands on Sundays.

Everyone always talks about our great, loyal fan base, but we are not good fans as a whole. Same with the Cavs and Indians, when we are winning we love our team and fill the seats, but when we lose, we don't give a crap. The tribe may not sell out a HOME OPENER and if Lebron leaves Cleveland the Cavs would go under!

Cleveland sticks with their teams and never roots for a new squad, I will give them that, but we have way to many rude drunks representing US, THE GOOD FANS. I would venture to say that a majority of people on this board can be respected, coming to a forum like this to discuss detailed football topics. YOU GUYS KNOW WHO I AM TALKING ABOUT, and whether you want to admit it or not, you know that our fans are not what we make them out to be.

I was ashamed to be a Browns fan when we cheered D.A. getting hurt. That's something Philly would do.

Remember the Cincy coach yelling at his fans, this isn't Cleveland -- he had a point.

Bottlegate, as well.

I am just sick to my stomach again, remembering how terrible we really are.

the fans were cheering because romeo was too stupid to pull his lousy butt, and because of the injury we finnaly didn't have to watch him stink it up. that combined with being able to finnaly see BQ play was what the cheering was about, not that he was injured.

The timing said, the crowd cheered to see Quinn warming up. They were tired of Anderson's stupid interceptions.

If his ints upset him, I wouldn't be so freakin disgusted with him.

but, he just didn't care.

give me Sipe and Kosar any day. They freakin CARED.

Guest Metcalf_FTW
The timing said, the crowd cheered to see Quinn warming up. They were tired of Anderson's stupid interceptions.

If his ints upset him, I wouldn't be so freakin disgusted with him.

but, he just didn't care.

give me Sipe and Kosar any day. They freakin CARED.

YOU GUYS ARE ALL WRONG. QUINN WAS ALREADY OUT FOR THE SEASON WHEN DEREK GOT INJURED. THEY CHEERED TO SEE HIM INJURED BECAUSE WE ARE A BUNCH OF HILLBILLY, DRUNKEN FANS. QUINN WAS OUT AFTER THE TEXANS GAME, THIS WAS THE COLTS GAME (2008). THEN CAME KEN DORSEY.

Anderson, oh Anderson, you were bad before we got you, and bad when you left us. You only made the pro bowl because someone got hurt. you can't throw a 5 yard pass to save your life!! I hope you do go to a contender, bc you will get CUT!!! The fans in Cleveland booed you bc we were tired of seeing you throw ints!! Tell Jim Brown that we don't deseverve a Super Bowl!! Good Luck!!

P.S. Go ahead and try to blame it on Bralyn or Romeo!

My bad, then.

The crowd was cheering for ANYBODY else to come in at qb.

Goodbye, bigfoot. Glad to see you go.

..must really suck to be Lums right now. ROF,L !

(Lums was Stan, right? @@)

less than 10% of the fanbase is at the game, and less than 10% cheered. i wish Derek wouldn't blame everyone for the 1% who were acting impetuous at best. shows he's still pretty young and somewhat fragile if he's resenting the fans like that.

three-year, $24 million contract with 14 million guaranteed. his 2010 contract was for $7.45 million.

"They're not going to want to pay me that much money," he said.

"I never heard from anyone until today," Anderson wrote in his e-mail response. "Nobody ever tried to reach out to me, which is fine."

um Derek, if you wanted to be here you coulda picked up your phone at any time. you even said they're not going to want to pay. don't play coy, you knew the score.

we don't deserve a winner? bad move, Derek. with these actions you scorn the rest of us with irresponsible generalization.

now personally i'm not the type to pile on but you may get booed loudest all time in CLE now, just sayin'. it got deafeningly loud for Joey Porter and that was nothing.

if the cheers bothered you, you'll probably be brought to crippling tears if you ever play on Cleveland grass again. seriously, what the fu@k were you thinking?!?

Didn't we laugh at Tim Couch when he got hurt too. We r fans and we pay damn good money to watch these players do their job, if its cheering for a td or for someone getting hurt, it dont matter, we still put money in their pockets.
how does he know it wasn't the Colts fans cheering anyway? the cities aren't that far away, i'm sure quite a few made the trip.

hear that Colts fans, i'm throwing you under the bus!

sadly, Horseballs he is no longer...

um Derek, if you wanted to be here you coulda picked up your phone at any time. you even said they're not going to want to pay. don't play coy, you knew the score.

we don't deserve a winner? bad move, Derek. with these actions you scorn the rest of us with irresponsible generalization.

now personally i'm not the type to pile on but you may get booed loudest all time in CLE now, just sayin'. it got deafeningly loud for Joey Porter and that was nothing.

if the cheers bothered you, you'll probably be brought to crippling tears if you ever play on Cleveland grass again. seriously, what the fu@k were you thinking?!?

three-year, $24 million contract with 14 million guaranteed. his 2009 contract was for $7.45 million.

Well, go back to Scappoose, and live in luxury. The Browns made you a freaking millionaire several times over. For that kind of money, I'd let fans throw turds at me if I blew out a knee. Comments? I suppose the fans should cheer you on wildly after you were on track to set the record for worst qb rating in the history of the NFL. What? The fans don't have the right to boo after lousy performances anymore?

EDIT: his 2010 contract was for 7.45 Mil

-The cost of retaining Anderson was secondary. He doesn’t leave empty-handed, having made $6.45 million in salary and bonus in 2009, his fifth year as a Brown.- from Canton Repository article

Well, that was my point- the guy made millions in Cleveland, but according to DA, those darn lowlife fans just don't love my '09 quarterback rating of 42 enough. Dulldurn, I won 16 games as a starter, about $1 million per win. Yall hate us-& Holmie says you're an interception machine with an erratic cannon of an arm- go prove him wrong- and the betting odds say you can't.

i got you hoorta, i just had to fix the stat i was butchering. in the OP it said 2007 lol.

yeah that's a lot of bread. Cribbs might not make that in his entire career. surely Mike Adams and Abe Elam won't. actually, a ton of guys in the NFL won't make 14M in their careers.

in my opinion DnS he shoulda held his tongue a bit longer and waited for the right audience, like the fans who cheered for whatever reason. he may have held it for a long time but he sure let it go at the first opportunity.

he got paid HUGE and now he's getting a fresh start--to me it seems ideal for him. so why the immature angst? i hate that it's ending like this, even Braylon and Kellen left quietly.

that was a personal blow too, like he's been waiting to say it. it's a shame.

i could be reading into it but he acts like we owe him something.

DA, no one feels sorry for you, you made more money thanks to the Cleveland Browns than 99% of the average Browns fan will make in a life time.

Your lack of commitment to the organization that made you richer than you ever deserved to be deserved more than your smart-ass smile after another game changing turnover game after game.

How many times can you rocket a pass 7 yds to a wide open RB in the flat or a WR under zone coverage?

How many times did you throw into double or triple coverage down field when you had someone that was wide open on the field?

How many BQ or Ratliff fans for that matter do you think you made over the years with your disgusting play?

Due to a long arduous deployment in 2007, the first game of the year I saw was the 2nd Cincy game and even then I didn't hate you even though that game disgusted me...

Then Phil made the mistake of overpaying you, the 2008 season spiraled out of control and dumb ass Crennel wouldn't bench you so after you already cost us the game vs Indy and got injured the real fans of the Browns (including myself) were cheering because a change in QB was finally forced on coin-flipping, slow to make a change, camp cupcake Crennel! I couldn't care less at that point who the back up was I was just tired of seeing you lose game after game.

Wallow in your self-pity and hatred for the fans of Cleveland if you want even though you are a very rich man thanks to our hard earned money you ingrateful A$$.

You were nothing but a one hit wonder now that I think about it...Kind of like that group in the '80's - Planet P - big things were expected of them too but their only hit song was "Why Me?"

I hope you do come back to Cleveland next year so we can finally share in your joyous smile as you are walking off the playing field after throwing (another) INT! and you can hum in you head all you want "Why Me?" but I don't feel sorry for you, good riddance!

DEREK HAS A RIGHT TO BE MAD. I love the Browns and am as loyal of a fan as there is, but you don't cheer the guy for getting injured, especially after he gave you the best season in over a decade. Browns have wonderful fans, and we also have A LOT of white trash hillbillies who don't know squat about the game that love to just act like a drunken fool in the stands on Sundays.

Everyone always talks about our great, loyal fan base, but we are not good fans as a whole. Same with the Cavs and Indians, when we are winning we love our team and fill the seats, but when we lose, we don't give a crap. The tribe may not sell out a HOME OPENER and if Lebron leaves Cleveland the Cavs would go under!

Cleveland sticks with their teams and never roots for a new squad, I will give them that, but we have way to many rude drunks representing US, THE GOOD FANS. I would venture to say that a majority of people on this board can be respected, coming to a forum like this to discuss detailed football topics. YOU GUYS KNOW WHO I AM TALKING ABOUT, and whether you want to admit it or not, you know that our fans are not what we make them out to be.

I was ashamed to be a Browns fan when we cheered D.A. getting hurt. That's something Philly would do.

Remember the Cincy coach yelling at his fans, this isn't Cleveland -- he had a point.

Bottlegate, as well.

I am just sick to my stomach again, remembering how terrible we really are.

Careful there Metcalf. Your speaking the truth. You could get banned for that here. It doesn't matter how big a browns fan you are, never speak negative . Drink the kool-aid and pretend. The admins around here don't take kindly to negative remarks about the browns no matter how true. Heck, I finally signed up to post this warning after lurking here for a long time and I'll probably get banned for saying this. Sad

Good riddance 3 years overdue imho...as for ruthless fans 10 years of ruthless losing and ruthless poor almost non existent football culture from inside the organization will do that, we not only deserve a winner but with anderson gone assures us we will have a winner...

Good luck DA i hope you enjoy your new role as a backup qb on some other team, its all you should have been in cleveland...

Archived