THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns QB Carousel since 1999

bonedawg

With all the shake-ups at QB already this off-season I figured it was a good time to break down how absolutely pathetic our QB situation has been since 1999. Here goes...

Since 1999:

Number 1 draft Tim Couch was supposed to be the cornstone of rebuilding the Browns franchise, well, he wasn't nor could anyone have been at that point. Couch flounders for awhile gets sacked a whole hell of a lot and Coach Palmer replaces him and goes with Ty Detmer (remember him?). This goes on for awhile and then enters Doug Pederson (who?). He was replaced by Spergon Wynn, and all Browns fans said collectively WTF? Just for shits and giggles, we drafted Wynn before Tom Brady was chosen in the draft. After the Wynn experiment new coach Butch Davis went back to Couch (he stayed because he signed a $48mil 7 year deal with us). Couch decides to continue his tradition of sucking. Enter Kelly Holcomb. Couch and Holcomb play QB carousel for awhile until Couch joins Ryan Leaf territory and is gone and our hopes rest on Holcombs right arm. Enter Jeff Garcia (also a complete douchebag). He hops on the carousel with Holcomb and they take turns sucking until Luke McCown gets brought in to join in on the fun and Davis resigns. Enter huggable Romeo Crennel and a reboot of the QB position. All hopes turn to the pride of akron Charlie Frye, fans delusionally think that Frye is an NFL caliber QB just because he is from northeast Ohio. Frye waffles and then goes limp (see what i did there?) and we turn to low IQ high velocity Derek Anderson who we picked up from the ratbirds. Here is where the story gets familiar. After a QB competition, and I am assuming many coin flips, Crennel goes with Frye to start the 2007 season. Frye turns in a performance that was such a spectacular failure that he he jettisoned from the team less then 48 hours later. Anderson goes on to have an insane season and Browns fans think they have the QB of the future. Enter Brady Quinn. Its Charlie Frye deja vu except with bigger biceps. Anderson crashes back to earth after 2007, fans are screaming for their new local savior Brady Quinn. Romeo appears deaf to these screams and sticks with DA. Injuries and basic failures keep Quinn and Anderson going back and forth in the starting roll. The doors get shut on club romeo after crushingly disappointing season. Enter Mangini, he thinks it's cute to not name a starter, but eventually goes with Quinn. Quinn refuses to throw the ball over 5 yards and gets replaced with Anderson who refuses to throw the ball to his own team. After a dismal season, the Browns break with tradition and keep mangini but give him a new daddy named mike holmgren. Holmgren decides that he doesn't like interceptions and releases derek anderson and brings in 2nd stringer Seneca Wallace to not compete for the QB position in 2010. To be continued....

Edit: Forgot about Trent Dilfer, he was brought in in 2005 to "mentor" Charlie Frye. Great job Trent!

Oh god, I remember I was happy we got Jeff Garcia and I thought DA was alright. You know, he was like being the tallest midget. I hated Charlie Frye and Couch. Couch's release was so long that by the time it got there, so did the DB. Frye was scared to death and had no arm. But he helped his homey out in KII by dumping it off all day.

What a joke this has been. I remember fans burning Tim Couch jerseys on the way out of the stadium. They thought Holcomb was the man. I thought out of the two, he was the lesser of the two evils. These QB controversies are very similiar to the Primary Presidential elections. One side is blindly following their guy because he reminds them of themselves, the other side is looking at it logically and supports the guy who is less likely to screw us over.

YOU FORGOT THE EPIC TRENT DILFER! How could you?!

Its Charlie Frye deja vu except with bigger biceps.

I lol'd at this. That was good stuff.

With Jeff Garcia, they tried to put a West Coast QB into a non-West Coast offense.

Two years later, he went on to fill in for McNabb and do a nice job of leading a talented Eagles team to the playoffs. He was a total jerk in Cleveland though and I was glad when the Eagles lost that year.

That reminds me, why in the hell would you use your first ever draft pick on a QB?!??!?! Why in the hell didn't you trade it away for either a ton of picks, or a couple of 25 year old starters from another team? If I was the GM of an expansion team, I'm trading ALL of my day 1 picks for starting O-lineman and some starting LBs in their 20's. What a joke 99 was. I remember shaking my head saying "well, at least they're back".

That reminds me, why in the hell would you use your first ever draft pick on a QB?!??!?! Why in the hell didn't you trade it away for either a ton of picks, or a couple of 25 year old starters from another team? If I was the GM of an expansion team, I'm trading ALL of my day 1 picks for starting O-lineman and some starting LBs in their 20's. What a joke 99 was. I remember shaking my head saying "well, at least they're back".

i agree totally. we had noone to anchor either side of the ball. i almost think it was a pr move to get the fans behind the team right away and avoid a mutiny if told we were in for a long rebuilding phase with three years of total sucking ahead. well, look how it turned out. we've had ten years of sucking.

i thought couch could have been really good if he had had some protection. after seeing him float that perfect touch pass over the head of the receiver (who was it, k. johnson?) and land in his arms, (the 1999 preseason hall of fame game vs. the cowboys) that we had a serious franchise quarterback. my friends here in ny said the same thing the next day at work. that was short-lived. just another dream shot down in flames. HEY! MAYBE THIS YEAR!! (or next).

brings in 2nd stringer Seneca Wallace to not compete for the QB position in 2010. To be continued....

I registered here to post the other day about seneca, from a seahawks fan perspective. I really think some of you guys are underestimating him. Wont make any guarantees but I wouldn't be surprised if he's your starter for most of the season, and I wouldn't be surprised if he exceeds expectations by a long shot.

I registered here to post the other day about seneca, from a seahawks fan perspective. I really think some of you guys are underestimating him. Wont make any guarantees but I wouldn't be surprised if he's your starter for most of the season, and I wouldn't be surprised if he exceeds expectations by a long shot.

i hope is saving grace of this franchise, but, so far his #'s don't pan out. i know he didn't play all that much and he's a fierce competitor...........who knows? really didn't get a chance to see all that much of him. if holmgren is such a QB 'guru' there must be something there he likes. for all we know he brought him in as a competent backup or even a stop gap starter. i hope this kid comes in and plays lights out but my feeling is that now with all this quinn trade talk and maybe signing a vet like delhomme (please god no) that they'll draft someone that they groom to be the starter sooner than later.

No knock against Seneca, I hope he lights the world on fire. I was referring to the fact that Holmgren said there was going to be no QB competition.

There is no other way but up. We have had either had an ok QB with no Oline or and Oline with no QB. This year will be more of the same guys on the Oline that started to gel at the end of last season, but now a new QB, who is the smallest in our division. Im not saying that he wont be great, but Im a little worried that he is going to have some trouble seeing over our big guys, You can't compare his height to Drew Brees either, they are 2 different QBs. Im trusting in MH and I hope he has something up his sleeve to draft a QB.

Remember that the majority of Browns fans thought that at least half of those guys were the next savior.

The problem is not one of those Quarterbacks were put into a good situation. Anderson got some hot weapons in 2007. Holcomb got hot for a year. But in general, the team has never been ready for a QB to excel.

You can't expect things to go this way forever or you'll just depress yourself.

Like cambridgeho said, at least we have an O-line. You can't deny that. It's taken 11 years. Let's hope it doesn't take another 11 to get some weapons, because when that happens we might be ready for a good Quarterback.

I posted a list a while back showing that of the 32 NFL teams, 18 of their starting QBs were players that that team drafted in the first round. And a couple of others were QBs that other teams drafted in the first round.

So....obviously there IS a reason to draft a QB in the first round.

I posted a list a while back showing that of the 32 NFL teams, 18 of their starting QBs were players that that team drafted in the first round. And a couple of others were QBs that other teams drafted in the first round.

So....obviously there IS a reason to draft a QB in the first round.

Yes there is Gipper but on an expansion team, you follow a different blueprint. 1st round QBs are the final piece to the puzzle, not the 1st. They did it backwards because it got fans excited. They knew thay had a 3 year grace period before we would get sick of sucking and they abused it, and us. It was a joke.

There's a pretty common rule:

If you don't have a franchise QB and you're given the opportunity to draft what you believe is a franchise QB, you draft him.

I wasn't watching football in 1999 much, but after looking at Couch's college career, I have to believe that most everyone at that point was looking at Couch as the franchise QB. Much like Alex Smith, Matt Leinart, Ryan Leaf, JaMarcuss Russell, there have been some busts/semi-busts. And there's been lots of success also (Manning, McNabb, Eli Manning, Phillip Rivers, Joe Flacco) to name a few of the many.

I think Tim Couch was a good QB coming into the league. He came into a bad situation, with a rebuilding team that had no leadership. He got injured, and reinjured, and reinjured. That takes a toll on a QB when his team can't protect him. Successful QBs stay healthy (Favre, Peyton Manning, Romo, Brady) and a large part of that comes from the leadership of the team's desire to protect them. After a few seasons, and then more bad decisions (coaching changes, QB carousel) Couch has lost all confidence in his ability to play and really starts to live up to the QB bust expectation. By that point he's so ruined that he can't keep from getting injured, regardless of what team he goes to, and he's out of the NFL after only a handful of years.

So really you can't look at drafting Tim Couch #1 overall as bad becasue he was a bad football player or a bad guy. Maybe he was all those things. But you also have to look at it from the perspective of what team he went to, and all the bad leadership decisions that ultimately contributed to his decline. I think Tim Couch could have done more to improve himself, but I think he was also a victim of a bad team and a bad front office, like many other players. Although there are many who were just trash (William Green, Gerrard Warren).

Archived