THE BROWNS BOARD

Everette Brown

Guest Aloysius

Guest Aloysius

I've been meaning to watch a Florida State game just to see Everette Brown play. Apparently, I missed quite a performance last Saturday:

Brown Wrecks Hokies

By DOUG BLACKBURN

The Tallahassee Democrat

Published: October 26, 2008

TALLAHASSEE - Everette Brown was disgusted with his play in last week's 26-17 win at North Carolina State.

Florida State's defensive end is feeling a lot better this morning.

Brown was a one-man wrecking crew in FSU's 30-20 victory against Virginia Tech on Saturday, recording three sacks and an additional takedown for a loss among his five tackles.

"I came out with a chip on my shoulder," the 6-foot-4, 248-pound junior said. "I wanted to show I can be a leader on this defense."

He did. Time and again.

For the first time this season, Brown inexplicably found himself facing one-on-one blocking against the Hokies. He attributed it to the pressure being applied by his teammates on the defensive line.

"When I get one-on-one, I have to win," Brown said. "It's a must-win."

FSU coach Bobby Bowden was relieved to see the defense harass Virginia Tech's quarterbacks.

[...]

"Everette Brown is a tremendous athlete," said Verdell, who had a team-high seven tackles. "He's big and he's strong. He was making plays all game long today."

Said Brown: "Once you get one, you start looking for the next one. I kept licking my chops. I was trying to create havoc all night."

Brown, an avid basketball player, initially likened a sack to a dunk. Then he leaned back in his chair in the postgame interview room, smiled and came up with what he thought was a better comparison.

"I call it a breakfast moment," he said. "You know when you come into the kitchen in the morning and you close your eyes and smell breakfast?

"That's what it's like with a sack. You get up and close your eyes and listen to the crowd's reaction."

I also dug up this interesting nugget from when Brown was visiting colleges:
“[Florida State] was very nice,” defensive end Everette Brown said. “I would rate it a nine. The facilities were very nice and I liked the brick-structured stadium. I’m not a big-city guy and I liked the college town atmosphere.”

Defensive end Kamerion Wimbley was his host and he also got to hang around with a fellow recruit in Callahan Bright.

"Kamerion is a real down to earth person,” he said. “We talked about defensive end Coach Jody Allen and he told me he is intense on the field but down to earth off the field. He said he does a nice job of teaching fundamentals. I hung around Callahan and he seemed to really enjoy his visit.”

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Aloysius

Just a quick follow-up from PFW:

Florida State fourth-year junior Everette Brown has turned up the dial the past several weeks. After a relatively slow start, he notched three sacks against Virginia Tech three weeks ago and abused Clemson for the same number last week, showing an array of pass-rush moves, taking the corner with natural bend and quickness and showing he could trim inside and win with counters. He likely will warrant the most interest from 3-4 teams as a rush linebacker.

Archived