THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns Sign Watson

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/...enjamin-watson/

Browns sign Benjamin Watson

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 12, 2010 7:05 AM ET

Benjamin Watson is a Cleveland Brown.

Watson, a free agent tight end who played his entire six-year career with the New England Patriots, has signed a three-year deal with the Browns. As first reported by ESPN's Adam Schefter, it's a $12 million contract with $6.35 million guaranteed.

A league source who confirmed the deal to PFT says the $6.35 million guaranteed will be paid out completely in the first year of the deal.

The 29-year-old Watson played in all 16 games for the Patriots last season, starting seven and catching 29 passes for 404 yards and five touchdowns.

He's a solid veteran presence and adds stability to a position that was very shaky last year. Good pickup. Clearly he's not the guy of the future, but he knows what to do and we know what to expect from him.

nice move.Tell Robert Royal to pack his bags.

Ya really get him out of here, I love the move he will be solid and comes from a winning team as well. hopefully he and fujita bring that mentality.

Watson starts moore backs him up and draft a TE

Watson has some amazing hands which is a lot more than you can say for last years TEs, but not sure about his blocking ability.

Great to see a nice 3 year contract to solidify the position, don't have to waste a draft pick on one this year.

Interesting to see Holmgren outbid his former team to get this deal done *(per Shefter)

He's a solid veteran presence and adds stability to a position that was very shaky last year. Good pickup. Clearly he's not the guy of the future, but he knows what to do and we know what to expect from him.

I would say he is the future.

He will play the full term of his contract. Age isn't a factor. Injury is all that will keep him from being the future, but you can peg that on any player at any age.

Is it just me or does anyone else feel like he has been in the league forever? I was truly surprised to see he had only been in the league 6 years and is only 29. I like this signing a lot, more solid players for the field and locker room!

Good, solid player. Has showed flashes of greatness throughout the years but has been somewhat inconsistent.

I like the pickup although the guy from Chicago might have been another option.

Good point Jasont. We already have 3 new starters for this year. That is already a successful offseason. The draft is going to be EXCELLENT. At this point, we can draft by ability rather than need. This is great!

PS. Ben Watson really is a great TE. If he stays healthy, he's like a Todd Heap. I love the signing. NE never uses their TEs and so he kind of flew under the radar on a team that likes to go 4 - 5 wide. On this team, he will be excellent.

Cribbs, Fujita, Watson, we may finally be able to buy jerseys this year!

Is it just me or does anyone else feel like he has been in the league forever? I was truly surprised to see he had only been in the league 6 years and is only 29. I like this signing a lot, more solid players for the field and locker room!

You know what, I used to get him and Ben Coates mixed up. They both played in NE but Coates was drafted in like 91 or something. That's why we tend to think Watson is old. Because of that damn Ben Coates!

Yes, I was just about to say that. Good tight ends often play for 10 or 12 years. So he could be helpful here for quite a long time!

Like it! This was a poor part of our game last season at a time when we had no obvious wide stars on offense, with a season under the rookie belts and now with Watson on the end, we pick up a new dimension to our playbook. Now just need a decent ball chucker to throw to him.

Royal was a big disappoinment - bye bye Robert.

Good point Jasont. We already have 3 new starters for this year. That is already a successful offseason. The draft is going to be EXCELLENT. At this point, we can draft by ability rather than need. This is great!

Lets not get carred away we still have alot of gaps on this team. We still have some holes in the secondary, O-line, D-line, and WR.

I am quickly becoming a HUGE Holmgren fan! He has already added starters in Pashos, Fujica, and Watson. He's thrown out some trash already in DA and Poteat. He's let a few non-factors like Pool and J-Lewis go their own way. He has already put his stamp on this team, and the real offseason fun is just beginning. Perhaps the most important thing he did was to make Cribbs happy! The two regimes previously had alienated him. We need Cribbs! He also has made it clear that winning is very important. He also added Seneca Wallace, who will either be a starter or a very important and solid backup QB and will also (most likely) be included in some wild-cat packages. Is it just me, or has this offseason been more exciting to watch unfold than the season was itself?

I am quickly becoming a HUGE Holmgren fan! He has already added starters in Pashos, Fujica, and Watson. He's thrown out some trash already in DA and Poteat. He's let a few non-factors like Pool and J-Lewis go their own way. He has already put his stamp on this team, and the real offseason fun is just beginning. Perhaps the most important thing he did was to make Cribbs happy! The two regimes previously had alienated him. We need Cribbs! He also has made it clear that winning is very important. He also added Seneca Wallace, who will either be a starter or a very important and solid backup QB and will also (most likely) be included in some wild-cat packages. Is it just me, or has this offseason been more exciting to watch unfold than the season was itself?

it's been as a whole more exciting than the 2009 season. but damn, was i a happy man for the last 4 weeks of the regular season this year.

Archived