THE BROWNS BOARD

WCO

Athensbuck26

i heard numerous times that Holmgren is trying to teach DaBoll the West Coast Offense

if this is true i think if Berry is gone by our pick, you can say hello to Jimmy Clausen

http://walterfootball.com/mattblog091229.php

that might be the greatest article ever written, also dont forget to look at the chart below

Junior Quarterbacks - Jimmy Clausen

I bet you never thought in the past month that Notre Dame junior quarterback Jimmy Clausen is one of the most underappreciated quarterback prospects in the history of the NFL Draft. But after reading this blog entry, you just might change your mind.

First, I am going to tell you why you might not like Clausen, and let's be real here, there is a lot of bias against him. Some criticism is warranted, but a lot isn't.

Notre Dame is the most hated football program in America, period. They are the Duke of the gridiron. Automatically, you hate Clausen because he went to Notre Dame, just like you hated J.J. Reddick because he went to Duke. If you want to make an analysis as objective and professional as possible, then you need to cut the crap and get over the Notre Dame hate if you have it - and a lot of that is out there. Think about it: if you put Sanchez on Notre Dame and Jimmy Clausen at USC, then Sanchez is the hated prospect and Clausen is the beloved underclassman.

Maybe you don't like Clausen because of the blond, spiky hair, or the limo appearance he had when he was a senior in high school to declare for Notre Dame. These aren't "low profile" characteristics and automatically, you might have disliked him.

For whatever reasons you're down on Clausen, please put them in the back seat and have an open mind when reading this blog entry.

Clausen just amassed one of the most impressive junior seasons among pro-style quarterbacks in the past 10-20 years.

Let's remember that Clausen had a very bad offensive line this year for Notre Dame. Sure, he had good weapons, but the running game was poor and receivers Michael Floyd and Kyle Rudolph missed significant action (eight games missed total between them).

When Floyd went out, Clausen stepped up. With a bum turf toe, he didn't play at all in the second half and led the team to a game-winning drive to beat Purdue. The following week, he posted 422 passing yards against Washington. Over the next three games (USC, Boston College, Washinton State), Clausen threw for 774 yards, six touchdowns and zero interceptions.

Clausen is a huge reason for Golden Tate's big season as well. While Tate is a talented player, he couldn't have done it without Clausen's extremely high level of accuracy.

Numerous times, Clausen played through pain this season. He led his team in games in crunch time, and was without a doubt the most clutch quarterback in the nation this year.

Criticizing Clausen because he had talent around him is a very poor argument. It isn't like Clausen was putting up just above average statistics - he dominated opponents. He showed a very high football IQ and rarely forced the ball in coverage. Did he throw some balls up for grabs? Sure, but Peyton Manning does the same thing occasionally to Reggie Wayne. Drew Brees lofts the ball up for Marques Colston in the red zone. Philip Rivers relies on Vincent Jackson. Quarterbacks can't do it all by themselves.

One statistic that can't be discussed enough is Clausen's 7:1 touchdown-intercpetion ratio, which is absolutely unheard of among junior quarterbacks in pro-style offenses. This is just ridiculous. It doesn't happen and it isn't supposed to happen. Give the man some credit where credit is due.

The bottom line is Clausen certainly needs to be looked at as one of, if not the most polished junior quarterback prospect in the history of the NFL Draft. I didn't say the BEST junior quarterback prospects because he doesn't have the physical skill, but he is certainly one of the most NFL-ready.

Analyze the statistics of a select group of quarterbacks in the spreadsheet below; all of these stats were taken from each quarterback's junior season. Aside from Matthew Stafford (I'm including him because I had him No. 1 overall on my big board), these highly thought-of quarterbacks that have gone on to outstanding success in the NFL.

Clausen simply blows everyone out of the water. His touchdown-interception ratio puts Peyton Manning's 1996 season to shame. His completion percentage is a good five points ahead of Philip Rivers and Ben Roethlisberger. Clausen threw six less interceptions than EVERYONE.

Clausen's ranks across the board: 1st, 2nd, 1st, 1st, 1st, 1st.

I just don't understand how someone like Todd McShay can say Clausen is a second-round talent when you consider how his statistics compare to some of the NFL's current greats.

I'm not a fan of just analyzing statistics, and my evaluation of Clausen really doesn't have very much to do with them. All I am doing is putting his season into perspective.

The perspective proves that Clausen is worthy of much more respect than I feel like he is getting at the moment. We will probably never see a better junior season ever again. Charlie Weis leaving the college game means that there is one less West Coast offense in the NCAA.

Over the next 10 years, I fear that nearly all snaps are going to be taken out of shotgun and NFL front offices are going to be throwing darts and evaluating prospects based on physical tools only since the schemes are so easy to execute.

Clausen isn't executing an easy scheme - he is executing the toughest scheme on the national stage. Every week the camera is on him, and every week he delivered. If Notre Dame's defense was just above average, this team would have won 10 games.

If you don't like Clausen because he is cocky, then that is fine. I just hope you are consistent and also say Rivers is a bad NFL quarterback because he is cocky - because a slightly confident leader can't win games in the NFL, right?

First, Holmgren is not telling his HC what offense to run so let's get that out of the way. Those reports are based on Holmgren's advisor having conversations with the coaches. I ask you, what team doesn't have conversations with their coaches? And if we learned nothing else last year its that the media has no clue what is going on in Berea.

Now, as a well documented hater of all college sports, I will say that where Clausen went to school means to nothing to me. What does hold a lot of water is how he plays football and what he was asked to do in college. The answer to that last question is NOTHING.

He relied on hail mary's (literally) and the 50/50 chance that Golden Tate would beat the terrible college DBs covering him and he did. He also dumped the ball off and relied on YAC which kept his completion % up and his int % down. And he was never required to make a decision; Its a one, maybe two read system much like Brady Quinn did when he was there and much like Tom Brady and Matt Cassel did in NE. Its a one, two read system. You saw them try and do that last year with Quinn because they know he can't handle the NFL game. He had three reads to make. Receiver, and then the flat. After that, he was screwed. Just look at how many times he was sacked compared to DA. Now, the similarities between BQ and Clausen have nothing to do with what color their helmets were in college. It has everything to do with the system and coach they had in college.

"Experts" said Quinn was NFL ready and so is Clausen. They are basing that on nothing else other than the fact that Wiess coached in the NFL. There may be 3 teams in the league where Clausen or Quinn could succeed. NE, Philly,.......and maybe Arizona. The truth is, Wiess' system is great for college QBs who want gawdy numbers. But it does not prepare them for the pro game. That guy has been flashing his SB ring for too long now to recruit High School kids who don't know it but will have about a 3/32 chance of being successful in the NFL. They'll get drafted, they'll get paid, and then they will slip into obscurity unless they end up on one of the 3 NFL teams who run that type of offense.

Keep Clausen the hell away from my Browns!!!

Say GOODBYE to Jimmy Clausen. Unless you are the Bengals, Raiders, or Steelers.

There is NO WAY the Browns will draft this idiot.

Jimmy Clausen Punched, but NFL Draft Status May Have Taken Worst Beating

by Dave Finocchio Senior Writer Written on November 23, 2009 Vote Now! - Author Poll

Will the alleged fight in South Bend impact Clausen's draft status

No Yes, but he'll leave school regardless Yes, best punch ever, he's coming back vote to see results Multiple media outlets are reporting that Notre Dame's junior quarterback Jimmy Clausen was punched outside CJ's, a South Bend burger joint, following ND's 2OT loss to Connecticut on Saturday evening.

Despite accounts that Clausen was supposedly "sucker-punched" by a fan after dinner with his parents and friends, it's fair to speculate that this incident might have an impact on Jimmy's projected draft status, and ultimately, his decision to leave or remain at Notre Dame for his senior year.

We can expect to find out more in the next few days as students will certainly leak the dirt, but regardless of the details, this isn't great news for the Clausen camp.

On the heels of Jay Cutler's prima dona media tour, followed by disastrous on field performance, don't think that NFL GM's won't place an extra emphasis on character this offseason.

Regardless of whether or not Clausen did anything to provoke the dispute, this incident certaintly won't help his already shaky reputation as an arrogant, somewhat immature quarterback.

Remember, Clausen's College Football career started with a much publicized announcement at the College Football Hall of Fame that rubbed many on lookers the wrong way.

Since that time, he's consistently barked at teammates on national television, and he clearly gets discouraged when things don't go this way. From an outside observer's standpoint, he's hardly the type of leader to whom NFL owners would gladly hand over $20-30 million in guaranteed cash.

Again, we'll wait to hear the details of the fight, but I think it's fair to speculate that this punch could cause Clausen to drop out of the top ten in the 2010 NFL draft, and perhaps even further.

If that is indeed the case, it's more likely that he'll return to Notre Dame for his senior season, with the hopes of proving that he's worthy of being one of the tops picks in the 2011 NFL Draft.

Say GOODBYE to Jimmy Clausen. Unless you are the Bengals, Raiders, or Steelers.

There is NO WAY the Browns will draft this idiot.

Jimmy Clausen Punched, but NFL Draft Status May Have Taken Worst Beating

by Dave Finocchio Senior Writer Written on November 23, 2009 Vote Now! - Author Poll

Will the alleged fight in South Bend impact Clausen's draft status

No Yes, but he'll leave school regardless Yes, best punch ever, he's coming back vote to see results Multiple media outlets are reporting that Notre Dame's junior quarterback Jimmy Clausen was punched outside CJ's, a South Bend burger joint, following ND's 2OT loss to Connecticut on Saturday evening.

Despite accounts that Clausen was supposedly "sucker-punched" by a fan after dinner with his parents and friends, it's fair to speculate that this incident might have an impact on Jimmy's projected draft status, and ultimately, his decision to leave or remain at Notre Dame for his senior year.

We can expect to find out more in the next few days as students will certainly leak the dirt, but regardless of the details, this isn't great news for the Clausen camp.

On the heels of Jay Cutler's prima dona media tour, followed by disastrous on field performance, don't think that NFL GM's won't place an extra emphasis on character this offseason.

Regardless of whether or not Clausen did anything to provoke the dispute, this incident certaintly won't help his already shaky reputation as an arrogant, somewhat immature quarterback.

Remember, Clausen's College Football career started with a much publicized announcement at the College Football Hall of Fame that rubbed many on lookers the wrong way.

Since that time, he's consistently barked at teammates on national television, and he clearly gets discouraged when things don't go this way. From an outside observer's standpoint, he's hardly the type of leader to whom NFL owners would gladly hand over $20-30 million in guaranteed cash.

Again, we'll wait to hear the details of the fight, but I think it's fair to speculate that this punch could cause Clausen to drop out of the top ten in the 2010 NFL draft, and perhaps even further.

If that is indeed the case, it's more likely that he'll return to Notre Dame for his senior season, with the hopes of proving that he's worthy of being one of the tops picks in the 2011 NFL Draft.

except that article is a year old and very wrong

First, Holmgren is not telling his HC what offense to run so let's get that out of the way.

couldnt be more wrong

Those reports are based on Holmgren's advisor having conversations with the coaches. I ask you, what team doesn't have conversations with their coaches? And if we learned nothing else last year its that the media has no clue what is going on in Berea.

Now, as a well documented hater of all college sports, I will say that where Clausen went to school means to nothing to me. What does hold a lot of water is how he plays football and what he was asked to do in college. The answer to that last question is NOTHING.

He relied on hail mary's (literally) and the 50/50 chance that Golden Tate would beat the terrible college DBs covering him and he did

Wrong. see article

. He also dumped the ball off and relied on YAC which kept his completion % up and his int % down.

wrong, his YPA was 3rd in the country

And he was never required to make a decision; Its a one, maybe two read system much like Brady Quinn did when he was there and much like Tom Brady and Matt Cassel did in NE. Its a one, two read system. You saw them try and do that last year with Quinn because they know he can't handle the NFL game. He had three reads to make. Receiver, and then the flat. After that, he was screwed. Just look at how many times he was sacked compared to DA. Now, the similarities between BQ and Clausen have nothing to do with what color their helmets were in college. It has everything to do with the system and coach they had in college.

"Experts" said Quinn was NFL ready and so is Clausen. They are basing that on nothing else other than the fact that Wiess coached in the NFL. There may be 3 teams in the league where Clausen or Quinn could succeed. NE, Philly,.......and maybe Arizona. The truth is, Wiess' system is great for college QBs who want gawdy numbers. But it does not prepare them for the pro game. That guy has been flashing his SB ring for too long now to recruit High School kids who don't know it but will have about a 3/32 chance of being successful in the NFL. They'll get drafted, they'll get paid, and then they will slip into obscurity unless they end up on one of the 3 NFL teams who run that type of offense.

Keep Clausen the hell away from my Browns!!!

First of all ,I think Daboll is a pretty bright guy...Why would he not be "upstairs" picking Mike Holmgren's brain?..of course he is and should be. The Browns are a multiple formation team. They aren't married to one system, with of course the understanding that playing in Cleveland will for the month of December require you to line up and run that rock..(which by the way they did quite will from Dec 1st to the 31st) there will be element of the WCO this year..why the f**k not?

How could the Browns tolerate a QB who would hang with a couple of skankapottamuses like the following: (at least BR had some taste in the women he allegedley assaulted):

bbdbadca89bd1090355253c2662c53d4.jpeg

Maybe he was just posing for a couple of gals who just wanted to have their picture taken with them.

Plus....Clausen isn't exactly GQ material.

Maybe he was just posing for a couple of gals who just wanted to have their picture taken with them.

Plus....Clausen isn't exactly GQ material.

Yea, actually, I think he is right in with his own level on the beauty scale with those girls.

If we would rate these girls a 1 or a 2 on the beauty scale, I suspect Clausen would rate a 1 or a 2 on the handsome scale.

I think we need a female perspective on this.

Any help by the women on the board out there would be greatly appreciated.

You know, no matter how many times people say it, or Holmgren himself says it, the WCO is a lazy term.

There are essentially two styles of offense being run in various forms in the NFL today. Don Coryell's offense, and Bill Walsh's offense, which he learned from Paul Brown. Strangely enough though, didn't Bill Walsh incorporate some of Don Coryell's ideas into the offense he learned from Paul Brown?

Over the next 10 years, I fear that nearly all snaps are going to be taken out of shotgun and NFL front offices are going to be throwing darts and evaluating prospects based on physical tools only since the schemes are so easy to execute.

Hey Athens, read the bold type above. He agrees with me. The scheme is simplified at the college level an it makes QBs look better than they are. Look at Clausens' abilities. No arm so he floats balls passed 15 yards, can't make decisions. Bradford got a 38 on the wunderlic-sp? Clausen got a 23. The max is 50.

Aaaand read the bold type below....He says he runs the toughest scheme because he is on national TV every week and has to perform.

Clausen isn't executing an easy scheme - he is executing the toughest scheme on the national stage. Every week the camera is on him, and every week he delivered. If Notre Dame's defense was just above average, this team would have won 10 games.

Hey Athens, read the bold type above. He agrees with me. The scheme is simplified at the college level an it makes QBs look better than they are. Look at Clausens' abilities. No arm so he floats balls passed 15 yards, can't make decisions. Bradford got a 38 on the wunderlic-sp? Clausen got a 23. The max is 50.

strongest arm out of the past 2-3 draft classes

Brett Farve got a 15

Aaaand read the bold type below....He says he runs the toughest scheme because he is on national TV every week and has to perform.

and he has had the best year out of any JR QB in NCAA history TD-INT ratio wise

Great. Now this board has Clausen fags.

They got to gloat for 24 hours after DA was cut. And now, with Quinn getting shopped around, they are on to the next metrosexual with a golden dome. But don't worry, this guy is not coming anywhere near Berea. Heckert/Mangini/Holmgren have already shown that they know QBs and if Seattle doesn't take him at 6, he will drop like a stone. (remember Brady Quinn?)

They got to gloat for 24 hours after DA was cut. And now, with Quinn getting shopped around, they are on to the next metrosexual with a golden dome. But don't worry, this guy is not coming anywhere near Berea. Heckert/Mangini/Holmgren have already shown that they know QBs and if Seattle doesn't take him at 6, he will drop like a stone. (remember Brady Quinn?)

even though the facts 100% disagre with you

Holgren has pretty much said himself Clausen is the pick if berry is not there

and he has had the best year out of any JR QB in NCAA history TD-INT ratio wise

I will never argue the stats athens, they are accurate. The problem is, and what you're not seeing, is the reason WHY he has those stats. I hate repeating myself but I will. When evaluating college QBs all the stats do is get scouts to pay attention. What you really look for is intelligence, arm strength, poise, leadership, accuracy, and how much of the field they use when completing passes. Clausen cannot make every throw in the NFL. He will get picked off 30 times a year if he tries that "flutter ball" crap in the NFL. And if you live and die with bubble screens and flats, you will never get a first down in the NFL. We saw that in the 2nd Baltimore game last year with Quinn. They played with one saftey all day and dared Quinn to take a shot. He can't and so he didn't and we couldn't move the ball. Do you want to know why Quinn gets sacked so much? Because he will not attempt a pass 15 yards or further because it will take too long to get there and will get picked. He knows this. And when the play calls for a deep shot, it goes out of bounds because he cannot control his "flutter ball" and he would rather throw an incomplete than an int. And yet, he had excellent numbers in college. And oh yeah, it was the same system Clausen played in.

I'm sorry Athens but Wiess' system is great for the college game but college football and the NFL are like two different sports. Every one of us on this board have been wrong or have had our minds changed by other members. We have all admitted it and given credit where it's due. Maybe it's your turn.

even though the facts 100% disagre with you

Holgren has pretty much said himself Clausen is the pick if berry is not there

So he said we're taking Berry and if not him then Clausen? Wow, that's pretty specific Athens are you his landscaper or something? How do you know that? When did he say that? And considering you misinterprated the original article, I'm banking on the fact that you're spinning something Holmgren may have said. Not to mention, he's not drafting anybody and if he were, he wouldn't tell anybody. AND if he were to tip his hand it's a bluff to get offers when Clausen falls. Nobody announces who they are going to pick unless they are #1 and it doesn't matter.

One statistic that can't be discussed enough is Clausen's 7:1 touchdown-intercpetion ratio, which is absolutely unheard of among junior quarterbacks in pro-style offenses. This is just ridiculous. It doesn't happen and it isn't supposed to happen. Give the man some credit where credit is due.

Unfortunatly no corners from Air force or Navy will be playing in the NFL. Hey Clausen is going to get his shot.no doubt, but to think he is a lock for the Browns is a bit of a reach. I'm also concerned his Wonderlic wasn't great.

Unfortunatly no corners from Air force or Navy will be playing in the NFL. Hey Clausen is going to get his shot.no doubt, but to think he is a lock for the Browns is a bit of a reach. I'm also concerned his Wonderlic wasn't great.

I agree. The issue isn't whether he's worth a high draft pick. In my mind he's certainly one of the top three QBs in this draft and possibly the second best after a healthy Sam Bradford. While there are things to like about him like the one great junior season that he had and the toughness that he plays with I am very concerned about his deep throws which he puts a lot of air under and his decision making.

Lastly, while the article referencing his immaturity is a year old, I would hardly call it irrelevant Athensbuck. On the contrary, if you are making this guy a top ten pick in the draft his character issues need to be acceptable. The same issues from that article were brought up in the case of Ryan Leaf and the Chargers paid dearly for ignoring it. As a matter of fact, they were lucky because it only set them back 4-5 years.

I can't help but notice your repeated use of absolutes in describing Clausen and your insistence that he's not like the media portrays. Absolutes are not the best way to sway the undecideds towards your argument and they give those whose opinion differs easy ammunition. The insistence that the old article is wrong and that he's a "changed" or different guy is to suggest that you know him personally which would either help or hurt your credibility on the issue.

The numbers don't lie but they can certainly be skewed. I could sit here and whine about my guy Colt McCoy's 45 career wins or Tebow's 2 National Championships (or his Tears of Healing) but that certainly hasn't convinced any skeptics regarding their causes so far.

Yea, actually, I think he is right in with his own level on the beauty scale with those girls.

If we would rate these girls a 1 or a 2 on the beauty scale, I suspect Clausen would rate a 1 or a 2 on the handsome scale.

I think we need a female perspective on this.

Any help by the women on the board out there would be greatly appreciated

Well, I've never considered myself much of a beauty so I'm not too critical of others in the appearance department. The only exception is beauty pageants. Anyone in a pageant is there for the purpose of being judged so I'm happy to oblige.

As for prospective QBs, I'd love some eye candy a la Brian Sipe but I'd settle for football talent over looks any day of the week and twice on game day.

Archived