THE BROWNS BOARD

Delhomme signs with the Browns

jrb12711

Well, I am certainly not leaping up and down by our latest QB addition, he is just a older Slightly better version of DA, and Wallace is just a 7 year perennial Back Up at best, if Wallace was anything more than that the magic that Holmgren supposedly draws out of QB's would have had some teams chasing his Wallaces signature over the last few years, but all he has been is the quiet reliable Backup in Seattle not even pushing Hassleback to start. So all I can see from our QB moves so far is an improvement from Poor to mediocre at best.

My thoughts towards this draft were getting tht solid DB/S to sort our secondary, but now I am leaning towards hoping they are going to use or # 7 to trade down and pick up McCoy QB from Texas.

and the sooner we let BQ get out the door the better for both us and him,I still see him proving himself better than we have seen in a year or two, but hopefully by then we will have our own decent QB and not give a toss, so it soon going to be time to start bitching about our new QB controversies, question being which side are the DA and BQ fans going to go with this time. the joys of being a Browns fan.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Obviously not the long term answer, so is he here to mentor Quinn, or start while we enter the annual draft crapshoot for the real deal?

I wondered the same thing. The one thing he does do is eliminate the Quinn vs. DA nonsense and any lockerroom allegiances that may have caused a distraction.

Whats with peoples infatuation with Quinn. What has the guy done?... I mean honestly. Phil Savage really screwed the pooch on that one. Theres a reason why he fell in the draft. Mike Holmgren is a QB guy and he obviously isnt impressed with Quinn.

Im not estatic about the signing either, but at least Delhomme has done some things.

2010 NFL Draft: Cleveland Browns Will Have a New Franchise QB Starting in 2011

by Daniel Wolf Written on March 14, 2010

Who will be the Browns' franchise QB?

Tim Tebow Colt McCoy Sam Bradford Tony Pike Jarrett Brown Dan LeFevour John Skelton Jevan Snead Sean Canfield Zac Robinson vote to see results New Cleveland Browns President Mike Holmgren was brought into the organization to not only help a team that has been hurting the past decade, but to find the team a franchise quarterback they have lacked since the memories of Bernie Kosar.

Newly acquired quarterback, Jake Delhomme, is not the new franchise quarterback, but according to the $7 million salary he will receive for the 2010 season, he will be the starter come opening day of the regular season.

Former franchise quarterback Brady Quinn, may or may not fit into Holmgren's plan and is easily trade bait now with not only the acquisition of Delhomme, but with the addition of Holmgren's former backup quarterback while he was in Seattle in Seneca Wallace.

So to recap, there will probably be a 99 percent chance that Delhomme starts in 2010, Wallace is his backup and Quinn will most likely be a backup (or competing for a starting job) while wearing different teams colors.

This leaves a hole in the area of who will be the future franchise quarterback for the Browns.

That is what the 2010 NFL Draft is for.

There is a slim chance that the Browns could make a move up in the first round if Holmgren likes Sam Bradford and the both Rams pass on him with the No. 1 overall pick and No. 4 overall picks respectively.

The cost for the Browns to trade up into the No. 5 slot with the Chiefs would only be a third round pick, and the Browns have two of those right now.

It may be doubtful that Holmgren will use the first round pick on a quarterback since there are glaring holes in the secondary with openings in the starting positions at both cornerback and safety, but the second or later may be where a quarterback is chosen.

The Browns currently hold eight draft picks between Nos. 39 and 162 (second through fifth rounds) and this is were Holmgren will most likely find the future franchise quarterback of the Browns.

With many quarterback names who will be available throughout those picks, Holmgren will have a good selection of players who will be the Browns' third-string quarterback in 2010, but then have his chance to be the starter when the 2011 regular season rolls in.

Whether it's Colt McCoy, Tim Tebow, Dan LeFevour, Tony Pike, Jarrett Brown, John Skelton, Jevan Snead, Sean Canfield, Zac Robinson, or another to be named later quarterback from the draft, one of these men will be the future of the organization.

Delhomme was obviously brought in to not only start, but to mentor one of the names listed above since his salary is that of an NFL starting quarterback and look for a full year of development to prepare the future franchise quarterback of the Browns for the 2011 season and beyond.

I wondered the same thing. The one thing he does do is eliminate the Quinn vs. DA nonsense and any lockerroom allegiances that may have caused a distraction.

My guess is we'll know the answers to these questions soon enought. Gotta think that there is a plan in place that will play out. Glad we gave up nothing in picks or players, we need all that we have. Any similarities between this signing and another F.A we got years ago. He could also be an interception machine, although ealier in his career not so much later. Dare I mention Vinny T.

as with most people, I do have some mixed feelings on Jake coming here. Over the past two years he has looked worse and worse by the game. But, it's amazing how a change of scenery can change a player back to his old form (does a now retired Cardinals QB ring any bells)

Now I understand Warner's situation is a lot different (dominant receiving corp), but at the same time almost everyone wrote this guy off. I think Jake will come here with a harder work ethic and understanding this will be his last hoorah.

The overall fact of the matter is I completely trust Holmgren when it comes to QB's. Some of you may think Delhomme is over the hill and losing it, and I do understand why. But Holmgren obviously thinks the man can still play, and we all should realize he's probably got it right.

At this point, I'd be shocked if we don't use our 2nd or early 3rd round pick on the QB holmgren thinks is best. Let Delhomme get him better for a year or two, then pass the torch.

Jake had a tough time with confidence at the Panthers and the Browns believe our fans will allow this guy the latitude to build his confidence here ? Get serious, 2 bad games and the fans will be calling for his head just like DA. Bottom line is, Quinn never got the chance to show what he had without the DA thing making him play 'careful'. However an NFL QB, especially one that has had 3 seasons to get ready, should be able to handle that type of pressure AND perform. BQ likley has proven to management that he can't step up, so he's likely gone. Hope he doesn't turn out to be another one that was dropped to become a star elsewhere.

If Delhomme is brought in to mentor Quinn, great, a guy with confidence problomes coming in to mentor a guy with confidence problems ??? The oxy moron of QB situations. Starting to have concerns about Holmgren's decision making. This guy has yet to prove he's a Parcells.

Social football fans liked Delhomme, serious football fans could'nt stand him at Carolina. He shows work ethic and fortitude, but so did DA at times and look how that worked out.

This is a rough move at best. I really hope Seneca can become a great player.

Hey how about Jake mentors Tebow at Cleveland for the next year or two !!!! Tebow has work ethic, he just needs toning of skills.

As much as i like the thought of Quinn being our franchise Qb it is time for the organization and the fans to realize he doesn't have that ability. I was happy when we traded up for him and it was a great story but sometimes you just have to admit your first round mistakes and move on. Delhomme by all means isn't the answer as a franchise Qb but he is a serviceable one until our franchise(savior) QB is found.

well said. Delhomme took a team to the Super Bowl. He knows what it takes to be a consistent winner. He may never regain his previous form but at least if he's in the game, I don't have to wonder if he knows how to read the coverage or whether he can throw the deep out.

How can anyone be excited that we got Jake D?? I think Quinn has been terrible but at least he is young and cute.. That has to account for something??

My biggest problem with the Brownies is our WR's. We have such a young core. We need to bring in a veteren if not to at least teach these players how to prepare.

I mean C Stucky? Really?? A 7th round putz is going to get playing time.. Really?? Really??

We brought in some veteren players and now it is time to add a prima donna WR. Big game Tory Holt, sure he is washed up but DEF has more left in the tank than Jaky poo. Also he is a good professional and would be great mentoring our WR. Damn Andre Rison would help us out.

Uhmm no I am very much a male and I hate the freakin Steelers.. I am not gay either but Quinn is much prettier than Jake..

Now if you were talking Jake Ryan from sixteen candles it would be much different story..

We should boycott the Browns unless they make a major move for a WR!!!

Uhmm no I am very much a male and I hate the freakin Steelers.. I am not gay either but Quinn is much prettier than Jake..

Now if you were talking Jake Ryan from sixteen candles it would be much different story..

OooooooohhhhKay .......... :blink:

This "guy" need to be thrown off just under principle.

This "guy" need to be thrown off just under principle.

Come on now, I made some serious points in between some sarcasm..

REALLY? Really?? coming from the "douche" that has a Hasslehoff avatar??

One again my point was we need help at WR!

How can anyone be excited that we got Jake D?? I think Quinn has been terrible but at least he is young and cute.. That has to account for something??

My biggest problem with the Brownies is our WR's. We have such a young core. We need to bring in a veteren if not to at least teach these players how to prepare.

I mean C Stucky? Really?? A 7th round putz is going to get playing time.. Really?? Really??

We brought in some veteren players and now it is time to add a prima donna WR. Big game Tory Holt, sure he is washed up but DEF has more left in the tank than Jaky poo. Also he is a good professional and would be great mentoring our WR. Damn Andre Rison would help us out.

FYI Terrell (Franchise wrecker) Owens is still available. just kidding.

Come on now, I made some serious points in between some sarcasm..

REALLY? Really?? coming from the "douche" that has a Hasslehoff avatar??

One again my point was we need help at WR!

I'll side with you on this one- just because guys wanted Quinn to succeed and like the guy doesn't mean they're gay. You want to talk gay, that would be Lumbergh's unrequited love for DA.

And it's not going to matter for much longer anyway- Holmgren isn't bringing in JD, and payining him $7 million to ride the pine- he brought him here to start- so IMHO Quinn's days in Cleveland are numbered. He'll be gone on draft day, or sooner- for whatever Holmgren can get for him.

I like it.

Altohugh this means another jersey thrown in the trash. It's number 10 this time...

Dawg, I feel your pain, and everytime this comes up I offer this suggestion. I have a Tim Couch jersey hanging in the basement, and I promised myself I wasn't going to get burned that way again. So get yourself a custom jersey #46 (very few people know it's retired) & it's also the year the Browns were founded (pretty cool) and stick YOUR NAME on the back. It will never go out of style. :)

PS, even though he's the greatest Cleveland athlete by a country mile since Jim Brown, I'm not bujying a LeBron #23 until he wins a Championship and re-ups with the Cavs.

Dawg, I feel your pain, and everytime this comes up I offer this suggestion. I have a Tim Couch jersey hanging in the basement, and I promised myself I wasn't going to get burned that way again. So get yourself a custom jersey #46 (very few people know it's retired) & it's also the year the Browns were founded (pretty cool) and stick YOUR NAME on the back. It will never go out of style. :)

PS, even though he's the greatest Cleveland athlete by a country mile since Jim Brown, I'm not bujying a LeBron #23 until he wins a Championship and re-ups with the Cavs.

Isn't Lebron changing his number to #6 anyway?

5 posts in and YOU are trying to decipher who's sarcastic, you win one free internet.

39610_you_win_inet.JPG

What I am saying was the hasslehoff avatar was funny 10 years ago buddy... Wow i am impressed you can find images off the internet. Here is an idea, get an origanl thought and write it down.

HAHA 5 post's in.. Do you get a degree after you reach a certain amount of post's? Or get a free watch or something..

Now how bout talking about our lousy WR's??

post-2024-1268598082_thumb.jpg

There were people like all you pushing Drew Brees out of San Diego too. Not saying Quinn is Drew Brees, but your hatred for him and Notre Dame coupled with the frustration of the rebuilding process, you yourselves forgot to ever give him a chance. I dont post very much (mostly due to low bandwidth on a navy ship!), mostly because people from your side will never admit to even the possibility that Brady Quinn could be a good QB. With that said, I'm glad Jake decided to sign. He will do wonders for Seneca or whoever we decide to bring in through the draft, if not Brady Quinn himself.

Sorry Brady Quinn, from an actual fan who isn't out for your throat and just wants to see his team win.

(BTW, Good riddance Horse balls. Thank f!cking god he is gone. If I had to watch him throw one more pass to the Baltimore secondary I might have bashed my head into a steel bulkhead.)

Hey Petty Officer Mikey! Haven't seen you on here in along time. WESTPAC must be just about over by now. Enjoy!

Archived