THE BROWNS BOARD

Big Bang Theory VS God's Word VS Evolution

Rust Belt

My buddy recently sent me a website called "The Way Of The Master" due to my ignorance in the bible, ten commandments, and the religion in a whole (Catholic). It would be difficult to convince me that God just randomly showed me and created the world we live in now. Sure - something started from somewhere and there must be a creator ... but if God just "appeared"... why couldn't a big bang just suddenly appear?

Well, I have always said, religion is the worst thing that even happened with Christianity...

but I will say this:

I do understand God is there. And, to understand God is really there, you kinda need to figure

that God always was, and always is.

I figure God is a a universal intelligence that always is, always was. It is mankind's inherent need to

explain our existence, etc, that leads so many to look to a far, far superior, incredibiy powerful

existence that created it.

but I look around, and in so many of the smallest, and largest things on this earth, from an egg and sperm,

to majestic mountains, and I "know" that such grandeur is an incredible miracle that "spontaneous"

can't possibly explain.

Great question - and I'm probably not any kind of legit source for a real answer, but I have my own

understanding...

Well, I have always said, religion is the worst thing that even happened with Christianity...

but I will say this:

I do understand God is there. And, to understand God is really there, you kinda need to figure

that God always was, and always is.

I figure God is a a universal intelligence that always is, always was. It is mankind's inherent need to

explain our existence, etc, that leads so many to look to a far, far superior, incredibiy powerful

existence that created it.

but I look around, and in so many of the smallest, and largest things on this earth, from an egg and sperm,

to majestic mountains, and I "know" that such grandeur is an incredible miracle that "spontaneous"

can't possibly explain.

Great question - and I'm probably not any kind of legit source for a real answer, but I have my own

understanding...

I totally understand you... but then comes heaven and hell. What proof is there?

This is why it is hard for me to believe. Maybe the bible says there is - but who actually wrote it?

How did one man die for everyones sins?

I totally understand you... but then comes heaven and hell. What proof is there?

This is why it is hard for me to believe. Maybe the bible says there is - but who actually wrote it?

How did one man die for everyones sins? Rust

Ah, there's the tougher part.

There isn't proof, per se. But when you consider the incredible informaiton in the Bible, that

just keeps getting proven via legit discoveries again and again, the writers are deemed to have

been instructed, influenced profoundly, and inpired by God.

Heaven/Hell is an extension belief, imho - from the angelic conflict (the God vs Satan confrontation outlined in the Bible).

According to what I was taught, the Old Testament rules for ascending to salvation and Heaven, were

so impossible to follow - that is ALL of them, all the time, the point being, is that mankind could not help but fall short

of "perfection" to be with God, so his Son, Jesus, died for mankinds' sins to give us a gateway to salvation and

Heaven. IOW's, the point is, we cannot work our way to Heaven.

We simply have a free will to choose. The reason for that, is said to be the ultimate glory to God, and the ultimate

slapdown of satan, going back to the Angelic Conflict.

To what degree the Bible is written literally, and to what degree it is written figuratively, no one knows.

That's about all I have, my dumb opinions, etc, ... I am strictly a farmer computer guy.

but, two things:

1. If you consider reading, if you have time, a profoundly brilliant work, Joseph Campbell's "Hero of a Thousand

Faces", it universally explains his theory about the monomyth, the basic eeriely similar elemental patterns of thought

in adventure literature throughout mankinds' history. From ancient asian legends before books, etc, in every part of the world, completely different cultures/societies/georgraphies/era's ... to present day.

This is a way I see the miracle of human beings. we are all unique, and a fascinatingly similar species at the same

time. Which leads me to understand that it took a Deity - God, for us to have occured in the universe.

2. More simplisticly, many decades ago, I was a lad in the fifth grade. We lived on a farm by ourselves, no other farm for at least 3-5 miles away. The short version is, I went each morning in the winter, and broke the ice in a spring down in our woods, about oh... 200 yards away from our yard.

One wintry morning, a record cold temp, the ice wouldn't break. So, being a stubborn turkey even then, @@,

I used both feet, holding onto a frozen root at the edge.

The spring was about 6' deep, about 4-5 ' wide. All of a sudden, the ice shattered, and I went in.

I was all alone, and though I didn't realize what hypothermia was, I learned later, I went through all the stages

of being cold, shaking, violently shaking, couldn't get out of the spring per the water displacement and rounded, frozen edges...

until I wasn't so cold anymore, and was sleepy. I was underwater. And something deep down inside, I freaked

to fight back, and thrashed in a total, terrified panic, getting my head above water again, screaming for help, asking God to please help me.

No sound came out.

I didn't get out myself, and I left the house about 5 AM, there was no one to hear me.

No person rescued me, and I couldn't rescue myself. This short version leaves out my buddy Chico,

the burgundy burrow over in the barn. I had, this one time, left him in the barn instead of getting him first.

Well, I didn't know if I could break the ice, and if I couldn't, I'd leave him in the barn.

I am here today, and just know, it is only by God's grace, and the love and friendship of Chico.

He came over by himself, all the way down the hill, into the woods.

It grabs at me whenever I tell this story, even today.

In all this, I know God is there. but all the truths and figurative lessons? We surely will know it all

one day.

Just what I believe. I owe my life to Chico, my hiking buddy on our 147 acres. The love of a burrow? and the love of

the wonderful pups in our lives? Life is a miracle, I just don't see it being a quirk in the universe..

I have to go have a root beer now. @@

God isn't incompatible with the Big Bang or evolution, rather one could view these as the processes via which God has created everything. This isn't my personal belief, but it's a perfectly rational one to hold.

personally I go with we dont know and it is possible for anything. the Big bang is like any other problem we dont fully understand...... you dont make up fairy tales and stories to fill in the gap because you are afraid of the unkown. It is ok to be afraid of the unknown but still seek an answer or understanding.

• 2 years later...

Archived