THE BROWNS BOARD

What Peyton Hillis Brings the Browns-From a Bronco Fan

BRONCOSFAN

Peyton Hillis is a throwback player. He's 250 pounds of hard running attitude. He can play FB, RB, KR and while he won't outrace too many, he will occassionaly run them over and smile while doing it. He'll try his best to make a tackler pay for the hit. He'll fight for every inch, and he's a team guy. He was put in McDaniels doghouse early last season and never got out. None of us seem to know exactly what he did, it just happened. Hillis had some of the best hands on the Broncos team. The kid can flat out catch. You guys are getting a hard-nosed, country boy that will fight for everything he gets and plays with a chip on his shoulder. I hope he gets a chance to play there, because he's fun to watch. He got traded because of the doghouse, not his contributions to the team. He was a fan favorite here and will be a fan favorite in Cleveland if he gets his chance. Very good pick up Browns fans, you're going to love him

Peyton Hillis is a throwback player. He's 250 pounds of hard running attitude. He can play FB, RB, KR and while he won't outrace too many, he will occassionaly run them over and smile while doing it. He'll try his best to make a tackler pay for the hit. He'll fight for every inch, and he's a team guy. He was put in McDaniels doghouse early last season and never got out. None of us seem to know exactly what he did, it just happened. Hillis had some of the best hands on the Broncos team. The kid can flat out catch. You guys are getting a hard-nosed, country boy that will fight for everything he gets and plays with a chip on his shoulder. I hope he gets a chance to play there, because he's fun to watch. He got traded because of the doghouse, not his contributions to the team. He was a fan favorite here and will be a fan favorite in Cleveland if he gets his chance. Very good pick up Browns fans, you're going to love him

Sounds like what we (Panthers) just lost in Brad Hoover.

First, I'm glad we got Hillis. If he's healthy, this guy can see 10-20 touches a game.

But to my point. Does this mean the trade of J. Harrison is a sure thing? EIther Jennings is going back down the practice squad or Harrison really is on the block. I remember a thread here las tweek about 9 teams contacting JH agent offering a 5th. We were never able to confirm this but with the acquisition of hillis, one of our backs is gone. EIther to the practice squad or in a trade. I mantain, I would LOOOOVE to get a 3rd for him. And at this rate, we are better poised to trade up in the draft than anyone else in the league. We could easily move up 20 spots in the 3rd round by packaging our picks. If we package Harrison and a 4th or 5th, we could get ourselves another 2nd!

This draft is going to be better than the finale of the Sopranos!

First, I'm glad we got Hillis. If he's healthy, this guy can see 10-20 touches a game.

But to my point. Does this mean the trade of J. Harrison is a sure thing? EIther Jennings is going back down the practice squad or Harrison really is on the block. I remember a thread here las tweek about 9 teams contacting JH agent offering a 5th. We were never able to confirm this but with the acquisition of hillis, one of our backs is gone. EIther to the practice squad or in a trade. I mantain, I would LOOOOVE to get a 3rd for him. And at this rate, we are better poised to trade up in the draft than anyone else in the league. We could easily move up 20 spots in the 3rd round by packaging our picks. If we package Harrison and a 4th or 5th, we could get ourselves another 2nd!

please don't trade Harrison.

These two would compliment each other nicely. If anything, Jennings is the odd man out here.

do you know why he was in mcdaniels doghouse?

I'm new to the Browns because Peyton Hillis is now here. as for your question. I'm sure someone knows the right answer but basically it came down to 2 things. McDaniels first pick was Knowshon Moreno running back out of Georgia. So that was his mark. However, he did not go to one press conference without being asked about Hillis. He would always say the right things in coach speak, but never followed through. Hillis did fumble a kickoff return and never saw the light of day after that. Moreno had 4 fumbles and was given every oppurtunity to succeed as McD's guy.

Secondly, since Hillis hardly ever saw the field when he did he pressed a little too hard instead of playing his game. IMO. Like others I am from Arkansas and have been following Hillis for a long time. You have gotten a player with a great attitude, work ethic and a toughness that is contagious. Also, as can be seen from the other posts he is a pass catching fool and knows what to do with it after he catches it.

Mopaji:

Here's the interesting thing. There was a story about two weeks ago that the Browns made an offer to fullback Leonard Weaver. The Eagles had tendered him at the second round level! Weaver apparently didn't sign the offer sheet because he wanted to stay in Philly and knew they wouldn't match the Browns' offer. http://www.2minutestomidnightgreen.com/201...ved-better.html

Now if that's true, it would seem that either the Browns don't see a role for Vickers or they have a trade lined up. They tendered him at the second round. How many fullbacks do you need?? Seldom does a team even carry two on its active roster.

I hope we hold on to Vickers, he's one of the best blocking FBs around and a large reason for Harrison's success at the end of the year. From what I understand, Hillis has been utilized in the past as a pure RB, not just a FB, so maybe we'll see him in that role as a 3rd down/short yardage back, with Harrison as the feature back and Vickers as the traditional blocking/catching FB.

I hope we hold on to Vickers, he's one of the best blocking FBs around and a large reason for Harrison's success at the end of the year. From what I understand, Hillis has been utilized in the past as a pure RB, not just a FB, so maybe we'll see him in that role as a 3rd down/short yardage back, with Harrison as the feature back and Vickers as the traditional blocking/catching FB.

Hillis is a good receiver too, so your third down thought appears to make sense.

I would also like to keep Vickers, but we'll see.

Mike

if his hands are so good why not use him as a TE hybrid?

i'd like to see if Hillis could possibly fill some of Heiden's old role. in that capacity we'd still use all our current backs and he could release and catch passes too. i hope he becomes another weapon.

Holy crap. Sounds like we should just stitch "MANGINI" on the back of this guy's jersey.

And thank you, BroncosFan, for that information. By the way, John Elway can die of gonorrhea and rot in hell.

From some of the Mangini interviews I have read, he is not putting Hillis and Vickers in an either - or situation. He has described plans for both of them to be in the same bacvkfield, Hillis with Harrrison, and Vickers with Harrison. Sounds good to me.

BTW, Mangini was "present" when Hillis had the best rushing performance of his career in 2008 against the Jets. That may be why Mangini speaks well of what Hillis brings to the Browns.

We are going to love this kid.

He can catch & opposing Ds had better be prepared to hit him more than once to take him down. Looks like a TANK on short yardage plays, although he appears to be a solid "every down" power back. I am very partial to this kind of back.

Mike

He can catch & opposing Ds had better be prepared to hit him more than once to take him down. Looks like a TANK on short yardage plays, although he appears to be a solid "every down" power back. I am very partial to this kind of back.

Mike

Same here Mike, this kid is a player and kudos to the boys for getting Denver to give him up. I am very excited about what he brings to the table. I can easily see him being a fan favorite in no time.

He is a perfect compliment for Harrison and teamed with Vickers (hopefully) will give us a power set to be reckoned with.

The kid is versatile, smart, powerful, a great pass catcher and has some wheels. He loves to hit too. You can win in this league with guys like him.

if his hands are so good why not use him as a TE hybrid?

Before he got fired, Shanny publicly mused about using Hillis in that type of role: not limiting him to TE, but allowing him to use his versatile skill set at a couple different spots.

I hope we see his skill set maximally utilized in that way in Cleveland.

Archived