THE BROWNS BOARD

Cleveland Browns vs. Jake Delhomme

TheClevelandSound

Guys, Delhomme went 12-4 in 2008 AFTER his TJ surgery. He'll have an occasional bad game, because he'll sling it around. Last year, he lost his long time qb coach (went to Denver as OC), and the new guy tried to work on his "fundamentals", and screwed up his head. Jake tried to think too much last year instead of playing his game. JMHO

He said in a interview that I posted in the other Delhomme thread that he was trying to hard not to make mistakes last year, instead of being the natural gunslinger that he is. Add to that Rip Scherer was his QB's coach and how great he was at making our QB's better, I could see Delhomme returning to form as a Brown especially having Holmgren help im along the way

He said in a interview that I posted in the other Delhomme thread that he was trying to hard not to make mistakes last year, instead of being the natural gunslinger that he is. Add to that Rip Scherer was his QB's coach and how great he was at making our QB's better, I could see Delhomme returning to form as a Brown especially having Holmgren help im along the way

Rip "the butcher" scherer...nuff said about delhommes decline perhaps it isnt age scherer is an absolutely horrible qb coach, lets just hope this regime knows what they are doing im sure holmy didnt sign delhomo for the thrill of it he has to have a plan and that plan looks pretty obvious to me...;)

How is Holmgren going to help? He's Front office not a coach it's been quoted and discussed.

That doesn't mean he cant talk to him, tell him what he thinks he can work on, build his confidence. Also Mangini can go to Holmgren and ask what he would do, throw ideas around, Im sure the coaching staff's going to take full advantage of having a knowlegable guy like holmgren to discuss ideas, situations, and especially QB's and offense's.

as I said in the main thread, a change of scenery can do wonders. I mean, look at the Kurt Warner situation. He was bouncing around from team to team, and was basically all but out of the league. He gets his one last shot to preform in Arizona, and we all know what happened from there.

I realize the circumstances were alot different in many ways, (larry fitz, anuquan boldin) but the gneral idea is the same here. Never count out veteran QB's who are used to winning in their careers. Like i've said a couple times now, I trust Holmgren completely if he feels like Jake is going to give us a chance to win.

That doesn't mean he cant talk to him, tell him what he thinks he can work on, build his confidence. Also Mangini can go to Holmgren and ask what he would do, throw ideas around, Im sure the coaching staff's going to take full advantage of having a knowlegable guy like holmgren to discuss ideas, situations, and especially QB's and offense's.

Alright well I took it as Mike's going to throw on a pair of cleats and watch Jake throw balls through a tire swing all day.

A pep talk is alot different.

How is Holmgren going to help? He's Front office not a coach it's been quoted and discussed.

It has also been quoted and discussed that Holmgren said, if asked, that he would certainly give input into and help out the QB's. I believe it was the same interview you are referring to.

Man, you all are brain dead if you think Holmgren is just going to sit back and let Mangini take total controll of this team. This is Holmgrens name we are talking about here. He may not be on the side lines but you better believe he will be that voice in Mangini's head. he is the boss...PERIOD!

Do I like the fact we got Jake...NO. But the fact is we have him. He's got a chance to make a new start. He has a lot of heart but looked diasterous last year and he knows it. He'll compete with Wallace and I think that can only bring good things for us. He cares about the game and if he cares about it enough to look at himself and make the proper changes (speading the field and not locking on to one guy when the chips are down) and if the BROWNS ORGANIZATION surrounds him with some class WR's (OR Wallace) we'll all be better off in the end.

Good luck Jake...Welcome to Cleveland. We're ready for "Boom" because we've seen enough of "Bust".

Are you that guy?

Brett Farve

Chad Pennington

Kerry Collins part II

Curt Warner

Jeff Garcia

Rich Gannon

Tommy Maddox

Jon Kitna

Kerry Collins

Chris Chandler

Vinny Testaverde

Doug Flutie

Randall Cunningham

Boomer Esiason

Phil Simms

Jim Harbaugh

Tommy Kramer

Doug Williams

Craig Morton

Jim Plunkett

Fran Tarkington

Joe Namath

Roman Gabriel

Earl Morrall

George Blanda

I'm not sure... but I believe there may have been a couple of Quarterbacks in the history of the NFL...

that had some pretty good seasons....after some pretty bad ones

Lets give the guy a chance

Man, you all are brain dead if you think Holmgren is just going to sit back and let Mangini take total controll of this team. This is Holmgrens name we are talking about here. He may not be on the side lines but you better believe he will be that voice in Mangini's head. he is the boss...PERIOD!

True, a big reason they brought Holm in was to speak the loudest. Mangini had complete control for the first three quarters of last season, and you know the result. Though Holm is the main man, theres at least a real system checks and balances between the coach, gm, and president now.

It has also been quoted and discussed that Holmgren said, if asked, that he would certainly give input into and help out the QB's. I believe it was the same interview you are referring to.

Don't think he referred to a certain position, just football in general.

What do you mean by total control?

4th and goal, ball on the 1yd line, down by 5, with 2 seconds left on the clock are you saying Mike Holmgren is on the red phone calling in the last play? I don't see it, he was a head coach and I doubt he will be stepping on Mangini's toes.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, everyone, I just joined this board two minutes ago. Is there a special place to introduce myself? Didn't see one. Anyway, I live in South Carolina and have been a rabid devoted Jake Delhomme fan for years. I watched him take our team to the Super Bowl, I watched him have Tommy Johns surgery and then come back to win the division championship the same year, and I watched the sad mess that began with the ill-fated Arizona playoff game that continued into last season. Now that Jake has taken the step of moving on to the Browns' team, I am following him there. Oh, no, Carolina is still my team, but Jake is my QB, and I'll watch him no matter where he goes. Say what you want about the last few games he played, but look at all the games before that, and you will realize that he is NOT done yet by a long shot. Jake is a leader; he's respected and admired by all the folks he has worked with. I've not heard one negative word about Jake Delhomme from anyone anywhere. He keeps his nose clean. He works hard. And I believe that his move to Cleveland will jump-start his mojo. I'm so confident that Jake will turn it on for the Browns that I have already bought a Browns jacket and tee shirt. And I will buy a Delhomme tee when I see one. You're getting something special. I cannot WAIT for this next season to begin. I doubt many of the games will be broadcast where I live, but I'll watch the ones that are, and I'll check the Browns site for the recap. Nice to meet you..........

Hello, everyone, I just joined this board two minutes ago. Is there a special place to introduce myself? Didn't see one. Anyway, I live in South Carolina and have been a rabid devoted Jake Delhomme fan for years. I watched him take our team to the Super Bowl, I watched him have Tommy Johns surgery and then come back to win the division championship the same year, and I watched the sad mess that began with the ill-fated Arizona playoff game that continued into last season. Now that Jake has taken the step of moving on to the Browns' team, I am following him there. Oh, no, Carolina is still my team, but Jake is my QB, and I'll watch him no matter where he goes. Say what you want about the last few games he played, but look at all the games before that, and you will realize that he is NOT done yet by a long shot. Jake is a leader; he's respected and admired by all the folks he has worked with. I've not heard one negative word about Jake Delhomme from anyone anywhere. He keeps his nose clean. He works hard. And I believe that his move to Cleveland will jump-start his mojo. I'm so confident that Jake will turn it on for the Browns that I have already bought a Browns jacket and tee shirt. And I will buy a Delhomme tee when I see one. You're getting something special. I cannot WAIT for this next season to begin. I doubt many of the games will be broadcast where I live, but I'll watch the ones that are, and I'll check the Browns site for the recap. Nice to meet you..........

Welcome to the Board! I also believe the change in scenery will not only work wonders for Jake, but for the Browns. It's been a long time since we have had a QB bringing a pretty successful career with him. Forget the last year or so, I'm looking for him to provide the leadership that he has in the past. I think he'll be ok.

Mike

Hello, everyone, I just joined this board two minutes ago. ...... , and I'll check the Browns site for the recap. Nice to meet you..........

Welcome. Your insight will be appreciated now and when we start seeing him in our offense.

Archived