THE BROWNS BOARD

Steelers stay in Super Bowl Hunt

bennyboone

UHM, you are right about 1947, but I have never seen where Pittsburgh ever played any tie-breaker in 1963.

Perhaps it was a final regular season game that had they won they would have been in the playoffs, but I find no postseason play. If you have info on that please share it.

And I disagree that 1970 was that significant in terms of actual competition. No more so than 1966 and 1967 when expansion occurred. No more than 1976 or 1995 when expansion occurred. No more than 1950 when another merger occurred. (The biggiest significance was to the Browns, Steelers, and Colts, not to the league per se).

And by your thinking then, Baseball should only count anything that happened post 1969. That is the year that the leagues split into divisions, when major expansion occurred in both league with the addition of 4 teams, and when divisional play began. Are you saying that baseball's history only begins on that date?

Or are you saying that the NBA should only count history when it merged with the ABA in 1976? Wipe out the entire Celtic dynasty?

No, there was some slight change, but it wasn't any more earth shattering than changes that occurred at other times or in other sports such that the entire history of the leagues should be discounted.

The atomic bomb was invented in 1945. That significantly changed things

Perhaps by your method of thinking this should only be year 65 of the "Third Age". (the first two ages being pre-Christianity, then the Christian era, and then the Atomic Age.) Is that what you want?

My description of the 1963 game was off a good bit, as it was off the top of my head. Here's a link that clears it all up.

There are some distict and major differences between the 1970 merger and everything else you mentioned. The 1970 merger wasn't just a few teams entering an already stable league. Nor was it a bigger league adding very small leagues into their own in order to expand and eliminate competition. It was two of the biggest pro football leagues of the time evenly combinding together to create one huge league.

Imagine the Big East and ACC merging (men's basketball wise). Thats much different than the Big East adding a team such as Robert Morris. Or some other no name league being taken over by the Big East. Winning the ACC or BE championship would be much different after the merger than prior to it. It would be a much greater accomplishment since you would have to win in a league twice the size with twice as much elite competition.

Now let me be clear, I'm not saying the history of the two league prior to 1970 should be forgotten. I just want the current league and any successes or failures to not be considered in ratio with what happened prior to the merger.

Adding a few teams or buying out small, minute leagues were making small changes. The AFL and NFL merging as one giant league was by far the biggest, most dramatic expansion for any two leagues to undergo in US pro football history.

OK, what Silverback is talking about is that the Steelers appeared in the "Bert Bell Playoff Bowl" after the 1962 season, which was a funny little thing the NFL held between 1960 and 1969.

The Steelers did finish as runnerups in the NFL East in 1962 (not 1963...in 1963 they were in 4th place) to the Giants, and played and lost to the Lions in that game. (In fact, it was the Browns who played in that game in 1963. The Browns played in 3 of the 10 games held.) Neither the NFL nor any reporting organization consider these game "postseason" games in the sense that they were "playoff" games in the true sense of the word....even though they were held after ("post") the season, and it was called the "Playoff" Bowl. In essence, it was the "Consolation Bowl" for third place.

But in any official counting of post season play, these games are not included. (for any team, not just the Steelers or Browns.) In fact, here are the results of that games 10 seasons:

Playoff Bowl results

All ten games were played at the Orange Bowl in Miami, Florida.

Season Date Winner Score Runner up

1960 January 7, 1961 Detroit Lions (1) 17-16 Cleveland Browns

1961 January 6, 1962 Detroit Lions (2) 38-10 Philadelphia Eagles

1962 January 6, 1963 Detroit Lions (3) 17-10 Pittsburgh Steelers

1963 January 9, 1964 Green Bay Packers (1) 40-23 Cleveland Browns

1964 January 8, 1965 St. Louis Cardinals (1) 24-17 Green Bay Packers

1965 January 9, 1966 Baltimore Colts (1) 35-3 Dallas Cowboys

1966 January 8, 1967 Baltimore Colts (2) 20-14 Philadelphia Eagles

1967 January 7, 1968 Los Angeles Rams (1) 30-6 Cleveland Browns

1968 January 5, 1969 Dallas Cowboys (1) 17-13 Minnesota Vikings

1969 January 3, 1970 Los Angeles Rams (2) 31-0 Dallas Cowboys

My description of the 1963 was a bit off, as it was off the top of my head. Here's a link that clears it all up.

There are some distict and major differences between the 1970 merger and everything else you mentioned. The 1970 merger wasn't just a few teams entering an already stable league. Nor was it a bigger league adding very small leagues into their own in order to expand and eliminate competition. It was two of the biggest pro football leagues of the time evenly combinding together to create one huge league.

Imagine the Big East and ACC merging (men's basketball wise). Thats much different than the Big East adding a team such as Robert Morris. Or some other no name league being taken over by the Big East. Winning the ACC or BE championship would be much different after the merger than prior to it. It would be a much greater accomplishment since you would have to win in a league twice the size with twice as much elite competition.

Now let me be clear, I'm not saying the history of the two league prior to 1970 should be forgotten. I just want the current league and any successes or failures to not be considered in ratio with what happened prior to the merger.

Adding a few teams or buying out small, minute leagues were making small changes. The AFL and NFL merging as one giant league was by far the biggest, most dramatic expansion for any two leagues to undergo in US pro football history.

The only thing that differs about the NFL/AFL thing is an identifiable point in time in which an event occurred. The events in baseball were just as drastric really. Like the AFL/NFL a bunch of teams were added: Astros, Royals, Angels, Brewers, Mets, Padres, Expos/Nats, Rangers. The playoffs were expanded. Divisions created. The only difference is that in baseball, there already were 2 competing leagues who had already years before decided to have their "Super Bowl", except it remained to be called the World Series, despite the radical changes that occurred in 1969.

I hate the Browns with a burning passion, but the fate of our team rests in the hands of a bunch of hicks from Sticks, Ga. We are in no shape to be criticizing the Browns at this point of time. Especially when they are making more moves than Ex-Lax in free agency and are improving by the hour.

I concur !!

Steelers have resigned two super bowl veterans - Larry Foote and Randell El.

Good moves

Smart moves and not over paying for great talent.

this is what gives us the edge over the Browns who are seemingly lost with all of their moves. Jake Delhomme? his career is over. He was a laughingstock his last two years in Carolina. He is one of the last holdovers from the defunct NFL Europe experiment.. Talk about an interception machine..

This play zoomed way over your head. They cleared the air got rid of two bums following getting rid of other bums in the Sewage era, they are cleaning house and making a competitve team. They are not looking for Delhomme to lead them anywhere just keep em repectable which he can, and hoping Wallace can step up, and They WILL draft a QB of the future high. All smart moves. This management is formidable by what they have done so far after ten years of dysfunctional. With a little bit of luck Brownies will be back big time

Seneca Wallace? 2003 draft choice who was pegged as a receiver. His highlight is winning two pre-season games in 2008.

Ben Watson? Brady never threw to him. He is slow and average and the Pats gladly gave him to the know nothing about football Browns.

Watson is a player good move Browns

I love to see the Browns making their yearly blunders, it solidifies the basement position in the AFC North.

Tell me that again after 2011

Steelers are still the big bully on the block and playing the Browns has become a scrimmage game on our way to division titles, championships, and super bowls.

You bet uraass the Steelers are the bully on the block and deservedly so. I applaud that. They quite well could be awesome this year. But the Brownies will be formidable challengers no later than 2011

Holmgren? what a joke - he was fired as the GM of Seattle..seems like he surrounds himself with losers..and he got a spanked by Pittsburgh in super bowl XL.

talk about putting a team of shitheads together...funny!

Lerner is just a big bank account for the washed up players and coaches in this league.

When we got Holmgren I was ambivalent, and when we got Mangini I was ambivalent, more adulating about Heckert..................

so far these guys are being a wrecking crew in dumping garbage and getting talent and good picks in return....................HAPPY AS A CLAM IS ME

Solid veteran depth, nothing less, nothing more. Sweed is obviously a problem as of now and Hines may be more banged up than anyone is leading on, we'll see when the season begins. I'm happy both are back because it's much needed depth with two guys that have a great deal of knowledge on the Pittsburgh system. Super Bowl bound signings? no. Solid signings yes. The Steelers get to the Super Bowl year after year through the draft and I doubt this year will be any different.

Just the facts, Ma'am.

Leave this sh.it alone. Not a human being on the planet besides those that reside in Cleveland or previously did give any sort of legitimacy to those titles as far as "franchise credibility" is concerned. When people talk Championships they talk Super Bowl ERA. Now I'm not saying those Championships aren't impressive but Football was/is drastically different in the Super Bowl era and the Browns have done nothing. The end.

Leave this sh.it alone. Not a human being on the planet besides those that reside in Cleveland or previously did give any sort of legitimacy to those titles as far as "franchise credibility" is concerned. When people talk Championships they talk Super Bowl ERA. Now I'm not saying those Championships aren't impressive but Football was/is drastically different in the Super Bowl era and the Browns have done nothing. The end.

Well, then you are one dumb sumbitch asshole who don't know shit about what other people think, know or do or who gives credibility to what.

In fact, it is ONLY Pittsburgh dipshits that don't give those titles credibility.

You wanna lay a thousand dollars on it?

Or are you another Eunuch jelly thou?

I will give you all the cites you need.

They don't count to them because pissburg was the shittiest team on the planet in those years. If the Steelroids had won anything they would count to them. Just like sliverdick who had to correct a poster who said they had never made the playoffs. Apparently it does matter to her because she felt the need to make a correction.

Wow they're here too? I think theres more Steelers trolls in the world than there are Steelers fans to be honest.

It's an inferiority complex. They are so inferior they have to go to other teams boards to try to prove their team's (this year, anyway) worth, which for some odd reason they connect to their own self worth.

It's an inferiority complex. They are so inferior they have to go to other teams boards to try to prove their team's (this year, anyway) worth, which for some odd reason they connect to their own self worth.

That's pretty low worth you're talking about. I just thought there was nothing better to do in pittsburgh during the offseason than roam the internet being an ass

steeler fan has had their reality world rocked to it's hillbilly core by the sociopathic QB from the nw of ohio of all effin places. seems he ain't quite the panty closer whether in the far west or the deep south. the boy is ugly as homemade soap so i can sort of understand why he has to strongarm the ho's that show him the least bit of attention..the po boy just can't close on some pus. certainly, not the typical ohio stud. whatever at least he has two rings to sport. western pa has produced classy athletes in abundance over the , years......QB's whom are respected across the land....I encourage my sons to read the biographies of these great PA athletes. we all know who they are....your rapist steeler qb hero soils the image of alll that is good coming out of Pissburgh. how much longer are you folks going to support this shitbird?

Archived