THE BROWNS BOARD

Pat Kirwan says Berry will be there

mopaji

1. St. Louis Rams

Sam Bradford, QB, Oklahoma

Bradford has been my pick for the top spot for three weeks and will remain there unless he has a terrible pro day or the Rams acquire a quarterback from the Eagles. You just can't pass on a quarterback with his size and production. The signing of DT Fred Robbins may allow the Rams to focus on defensive tackle in the second or third round with a guy like Lamarr Houston or Tyson Alualu. (Previous pick: Bradford)

2. Detroit Lions

Ndamukong Suh, DT, Nebraska

I still believe Suh will land in Detroit, and he is a great fit for a defense that finished last in the NFL. He made 81 plays behind the line of scrimmage in college (57 tackles for loss and 24 sacks), and he can play all three downs. (Previous pick: Suh)

3. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Gerald McCoy, DT, Oklahoma

He is a perfect fit for the 4-3 defense Tampa plays as the three-technique tackle. McCoy will finish up a notch below Suh on most draft boards, but in any other year would probably be the top defensive tackle. (Previous pick: McCoy)

4. Washington Redskins

Jimmy Clausen, QB, Notre Dame

Russell Okung has been in this spot for the first two mock drafts, but in typical NFL fashion, the quarterbacks rise to the top as we approach the draft. If the Redskins can't draft Bradford, it will be tough to pass on Clausen. He has been in an NFL-style offense and Jason Campbell does not appear to be the answer. The Redskins may move up with Bruce Allen managing the draft or they may feel they can get a left tackle a bit later. (Previous pick: Russell Okung)

5. Kansas City Chiefs

Russell Okung, OT, Oklahoma State

KC has settled for Bryan Bulaga in the first two mock drafts, but the ripple effect of Clausen moving up is Okung moving down. Okung is a fine player and plugs in right away as Brandon Albert moves to right tackle. (Previous pick: Bryan Bulaga)

6. Seattle Seahawks

C.J. Spiller, RB, Clemson

In the first two mock drafts, Seattle grabbed Clausen. This time around, he's gone by this spot and the Seahawks must turn to this year's version of Chris Johnson. Spiller ran a 4.37 in the 40-yard dash at the NFL Scouting Combine (ranking just behind Jahvid Best's 4.35 among running backs). (Previous pick: Jimmy Clausen)

7. Cleveland Browns

Eric Berry, S, Tennessee

Cleveland has been busy in free agency securing quarterbacks, a tight end and a right tackle, which makes it easy to go after a versatile defensive back such as Berry. The Browns could also look at a wide receiver or a pass-rushing outside linebacker at this spot as well. (Previous pick: Berry)

8. Oakland Raiders

Bryan Bulaga, OT, Iowa

This is a change from Rutgers OT Anthony Davis, who held the spot for two weeks, but Bulaga falls to the Raiders. It's time for Oakland to make a solid, conservative pick. Hopefully Tom Cable has some influence on this selection and the Raiders make the wise choice. (Previous pick: Anthony Davis)

9. Buffalo Bills

Dan Williams, DT, Tennessee

The Bills need a lot of help, but they can't convert from a 4-3 defense to a 3-4 defense without a nose tackle. Williams is a force in the middle. There could also be some real interest in a left tackle or a wide receiver such as Demaryius Thomas. (Previous pick: Williams)

10. Jacksonville Jaguars

Earl Thomas, S/CB, Texas

Signing Aaron Kampman helps the defensive end situation, and the young receivers came along nicely last year. The Jaguars would be wise to move down and pick up a second-rounder since they are without one. If they stay put, Thomas is a versatile player who could line up in many spots. (Previous pick: Thomas)

11. Denver Broncos

Rolando McClain, ILB, Alabama

The Broncos have revamped their defensive line in free agency with Jarvis Green, Jamal Williams and Justin Bannan. Now it's time to plug in the big inside linebacker next to D.J. Williams. McClain made 40 plays behind the line of scrimmage last season and had five interceptions after posting a sub-4.7 at Alabama's pro day. McClain revealed that he has Crohn's disease, which is manageable. (Previous pick: McClain)

12. Miami Dolphins

Sergio Kindle, OLB, Texas

Kindle is the type of pass-rushing outside linebacker that Parcells and Co. have taken in the past. A 6-foot-3, 250-pound force who runs 4.7 in the 40 and had 59 plays behind the line of scrimmage in his UT career is hard to pass up. (Previous pick: Jared Odrick)

13. San Francisco 49ers

Trent Williams, OT, Oklahoma State

The Niners need an offensive tackle for the right side, and with two picks in the first round they can resolve that issue here. San Francisco has been quiet in free agency, and will presumably rely on the draft to fill the gaps on its roster. (Previous pick: Williams)

15. New York Giants

Sean Weatherspoon, LB, Missouri

The Giants need linebacker help and Weatherspoon is a guy with nearly 400 tackles in college who runs 4.6 in the 40. He can call a defense and play middle or weakside linebacker. (Previous pick: Sergio Kindle)

16. Tennessee Titans

Derrick Morgan, DE, Georgia Tech

Kyle Vanden Bosch and Jevon Kearse are gone and the Titans always build around defense. Morgan, who had 12.5 sacks and 18.5 tackles for a loss last season, is a solid player in a very average class of defensive ends. The Titans will also look very closely at South Florida's Jason Pierre-Paul. (Previous pick: Morgan)

17. San Francisco 49ers

Joe Haden, CB, Florida

Haden's disappointing 40-yard dash time at the NFL Scouting Combine has impacted his draft status, but his game tapes suggest he's a faster player than runner. (Previous pick: Taylor Mays)

I still think Detroit is going Okung over a DT and Washington will take Spiller while Seattle takes Clausen. But he and I agree that either way, Berry will be there at #7. Another interesting possibility would be to trade that pick away and just take Haden later while picking up another 2nd round pick. Which I would be really happy with.

[/b]

I still think Detroit is going Okung over a DT and Washington will take Spiller while Seattle takes Clausen. But he and I agree that either way, Berry will be there at #7. Another interesting possibility would be to trade that pick away and just take Haden later while picking up another 2nd round pick. Which I would be really happy with.

Problem is, I don't see first round ability out of Haden. His in-game performance shows me a guy who doesn't change direction well. He's a marginal tackler and quite honestly he doesn't seem like the kind of guy who's going to cover an NFL receiver adequately.

there's just one problem: the browns may be trading up to get one of quarterbacks, a decision that will piss me off thoroughly and make me want to hurt everyone around me. we need play makers on this team, not projects.

I relly dont see us moving up or getting a QB in the first round, theres going to be very good qb talent available in the second/third round and MH im sure already knows which guy/guys he has targeted there..

Problem is, I don't see first round ability out of Haden. His in-game performance shows me a guy who doesn't change direction well. He's a marginal tackler and quite honestly he doesn't seem like the kind of guy who's going to cover an NFL receiver adequately.

we will know more after today. it's florida's pro day. i stand by my previous statement: i will beet anyone that he beats a 4.5. it's going to happen.

[/b]

Why would they take Spiller? They have Larry Johnson and Clinton Portis. I actually see Washington taking a QB, as I'm sure Shannahan is not happy with Jason Campbell.

we will know more after today. it's florida's pro day. i stand by my previous statement: i will beet anyone that he beats a 4.5. it's going to happen.

You would have won that bet. The times are saying high 4.3 to low 4.4, which is good for a CB. This info is per PFT.

Why would they take Spiller? They have Larry Johnson and Clinton Portis. I actually see Washington taking a QB, as I'm sure Shannahan is not happy with Jason Campbell.

I think they'll take Spiller because they have Johnson and Portis. Spiller may be to good to pass up and Shanahan has shown that he likes to run the ball and throw to his RB. Portis and Johnson are at the end of their careers and this could be Campbell's last chance. I'm thinking they'll want to give him a weapon before they decide to cut ties with him and in the process, instantly add a threat to that offense. Which, they just don't have. But you're right, they may opt for Clausen but I think Seattle is Clausen's best chance of being taken in the top 15.

On a side note, per NFL.com the Browns showed, by far, the most interest in Clemson's pro day. They had the most scouts and they spent time working out a number of players.

Archived