THE BROWNS BOARD

Haden Improves 40 Time

next2nothing

Joe Haden improves his time

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on March 17, 2010 11:34 AM ET

Even the official forty times at the Scouting Combine don't seem that official.

So the times we get from various Pro Days are even more suspect. Some tracks are faster than others, and we don't know how to convert the times like the scouts.

With that preamble out of the way, multiple NFL reporters at Tebowfest Florida's Pro Day write that cornerback Joe Haden ran in the high 4.3's/low 4.4's.

That is a huge improvement on Haden's sssslow time he ran at the combine. Whether it erases the perception Haden lacks speed is another matter.

We're far more interested in a comment former scout Daniel Jeremiah made on his Move The Sticks podcast. He said Haden was a "boundary" corner at Florida. The theory is that's a position where teams can cover up a lack of deep speed, especially with wider hashmarks in college.

Haden's time today should help his case, but there is a lot of debate about whether he will be the first cornerback taken in April. That debate didn't seem to exist a month ago.

I really don't think Haden's stock dropped too much because of his 40 at the combine but I figured some would like to read this.

We should trade back into the first and pick him up along with berry. B)

As unlikely and as MADDEN 2009 as it sounds, that would be incredible!

If Berry is there at 7, I would be fine with fielding trade offers and taking Haden a few spots later in the 1st. However, I would be as; if not more happy to just grab Berry.

As unlikely and as MADDEN 2009 as it sounds, that would be incredible!

If Berry is there at 7, I would be fine with fielding trade offers and taking Haden a few spots later in the 1st. However, I would be as; if not more happy to just grab Berry.

It would be like that feeling when we traded back up to get Quinn after drafting Joe Thomas.

Except this time both of the picks will be good and we won't give up so damn much.

I have the same mindset now as I had before, during, & immediately after the Combine...If Haden is there at 7, DRAFT him! IUnless, of course, if our braintrust sees a QB they just can't pass up. I have seen a lot of speedsters over the years who may have top end speed but lack the knowledge of the game it takes to instinctively react......Too many have to think & THEN react (often too late)..the great ones just DO IT!

Mike

I have the same mindset now as I had before, during, & immediately after the Combine...If Haden is there at 7, DRAFT him! IUnless, of course, if our braintrust sees a QB they just can't pass up. I have seen a lot of speedsters over the years who may have top end speed but lack the knowledge of the game it takes to instinctively react......Too many have to think & THEN react (often too late)..the great ones just DO IT!

Mike

This is very true and the Browns hopefully focus on rebuilding the defense in this draft. You can't succeed running a 3-4 scheme with a weak nose, mediocre linebacking corps, and a weak secondary. Now that the AFC North has Anquan Boldin and Antonio Bryant added to the mix, now is the the time to build a defense that can hang.

Archived