THE BROWNS BOARD

Jake WILL take you to playoffs.

Jake Guts

Jake made some nice passes in those highlights and puts nice touch on the ball. in most of those clips he usually had the luxury of great protection and lots of time and was often able to stare down his receivers as they got open, while he pump faked like a mfer.

i like the 18 yard TD run at 0:44 on Vid 1. he didn't hesitate to run and i hope he's still like that. for the most part, they are pretty highlights though. no shots of him just getting the pass off before he gets annihialated...no ridiculous scrambles while finding his man deep downfield...no clutch plays in adverse weather...and most of all no examples of big hits taken.

that's the kind of highlights i'm used to in the AFCN. disheveled muddy jerseys, QB staring down the barrel of the gun and barely getting the pass off before getting clobbered followed quickly by propping himself up on one elbow and watching this fabulous pass make it's mark either for a huge play or a score.

lately we've been getting the elbow prop thing just to get 1st downs, and in a way i guess you could consider those our recent pathetic highlights, cuz that was usually about as good as it got these past couple years.

i'm not saying Jake hasn't or can't do those things, just that those highlights don't reveal that about him (Vid 2 showed McGinnest hurrying him once). when you talk about his presence here, the future of the Browns, and taking us to the playoffs that is directly related with what i'm talking about. he needs to be able to do all those things, cuz that's what happens in the AFCN--no matter who you are, regarless of how fast or how big etc. and the guy needs to do it at 35 years old now.

one cool thing is he throws a very catchable ball. i also like how he leads his receivers. both those things will make life a lot easier for our inexperienced receivers, especially in a young and possibly updated offense.

i just hope his body can hold up physically as he makes the occasional highlight for us from his back. if he gets that Carolina protection in Cleveland things will be good, but if not hopefully the running game can help ease the load for him (or Seneca--or whoever).

[

there you go. some hope.

jake is a MF winner.

you will see

makes plays

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

read the papers. tip of the iceberg

I TRIED TO TELL YOU GUYS

JAKE IS A mf LEADER

A WINNER

HE IS BETTER THEN CHOKER BRET FAVRE

YOU ARE IN FOR THE GREATEST YEAR IN MANY, MANY YEARS WITH JAKE

I KNOW YOUR USED TO GETTING DISAPPOINTED

NOT THIS TIME

JAKE AINT TO TEMPORARY FILL-IN. JUST WATCH.

UTUBE

JAKES PLAY IN RAMS NFC CHAMP GAME

PATS SUPER BOWL

You have no clue how good he is.

You just watch

i told you

Eric Mangini: Browns' Jake Delhomme 'reminds me a little bit of (Brett) Favre'

11:30 AMYahoo! BuzzShare

DiggNewsvineRedditE-mailSavePrintShare14 Comments

Recommend Cleveland Browns head coach Eric Mangini said Wednesday's he's very pleased with the early returns from new QB Jake Delhomme's tenure with the team.

The Browns signed Delhomme, acquired Seneca Wallace and drafted Colt McCoy as part of a total overhaul at the quarterback position. Veterans Derek Anderson and Brady Quinn were jettisoned.

Mangini said Delhomme reminded him of a QB he had during his stint as coach of the New York Jets:

"I don't like making comparisons, but I will. He reminds me a little bit of (Brett) Favre that way.

"He enjoys practice. He enjoys being around the guys. He's able to be serious and still keep things light. He has a good rapport with the offensive guys, defensive guys and you just see it in their interaction in the weight room and all the different areas."

Delhomme is looking to bounce back from a disastrous season in Carolina in which he threw 18 INTs, was benched and then cut less than a year after signing a five-year extension. -- Sean Leahy

The Leader the Browns Need?

This story originally published on theOBR.com

Jack Delhomme By Zac Jackson

FoxSportsOhio.com

Posted May 20, 2010

| More

Fox Sports Ohio's Zac Jackson looks at what Jake Delhomme may mean to the Cleveland Browns. Read Zac every day as he writes about all Cleveland sports on FoxSportsOhio.com.

BEREA -- That he carries some scars from a miserable 2009 doesn't make Jake Delhomme unique in his new locker room.

But a lot of things he brings -- the resume, the twang, enough big-game experience to earn instant credibility in the huddle -- aren't just unique. Ask anyone around the Browns and you'll probably hear that they're needed. Very much so.

Into the game's most important leadership role, the one the Browns haven't been able to quite figure out for 11 years and counting, steps a guy who's not afraid to fling it -- and not afraid to talk about the times he's flung it to the other team. He's a guy who brings a little moxie and a lot of wisdom into what's likely his last NFL chance, and he's not going to allow himself to think about anything other than making the best of it.

"I just want to be a part of helping turn things around here," Delhomme said Wednesday, the Browns' third day of organized team activity (OTA) practices this spring. "I'm 35 years old, I'm going into my 14th NFL season. I play this game for one reason and one reason only -- to win."

He signed with the Browns in March, a time at which he acknowledged "it would have been very easy to walk away and go home or to go hold a clipboard some other place." That's because the guy who pushed the Carolina Panthers' franchise to new heights in seven seasons there was pushed out, and in Cleveland he sees an opportunity where he's not the only guy looking for redemption.

"For me it's a fresh start," Delhomme said. "I loved six of the seven years I had in Carolina. Last season just wasn't a lot of fun. Being here, it's very refreshing. I've been here since March 15, since our first day working out. I think we can all gather from my accent that I might have a little battle on my hands, but I feel like I've had some new life injected into me."

In 2008, Delhomme led the Panthers to a 12-4 record and the NFC's second seed. He melted down in the divisional playoffs, throwing 5 interceptions in an Arizona upset.

Starting with that playoff debacle he's 4-8 in 12 starts since, and his sub-60 quarterback rating last fall was by far the worst in any season of extended work in his career. He was released this winter, and he came back to Cleveland after initially visiting and leaving without a contract because he was convinced that he wasn't done playing.

"I played so poorly in that playoff game that I spent my whole offseason convincing myself that I wanted to win back everyone," he said. "That was a little too much. I have to play loose and free and I didn't do that. I wasn't myself."

Another offseason of change for the Browns led them to look past the 8 touchdowns and 18 interceptions Delhomme threw last season and take a chance on a guy who amassed a 58-40 record as a starter in Carolina and took the Panthers to the Super Bowl when the Browns' head coach, Eric Mangini, was coaching the defensive backs on the other side. The Browns saw a guy who'd entered the league undrafted, cut his teeth in his home state of Louisiana as a backup and then handled a variety of things -- even the fallout after his struggles -- remarkably well in Carolina.

“When you bring someone in, you look at the body of work," Mangini said. "Jake has an outstanding body of work.”

He's had an outstanding work ethic, too, and he's gone out of his way to get familiar with his new teammates. That's no easy task considering his projected starting receivers, Mohamed Massaquoi and Brian Robiskie, were playing Pop Warner ball when Delhomme was breaking into the NFL and playing with the Amsterdam Admirals in NFL Europe in 1998. But Delhomme insists he's the one feeling like a kid again.

"We're all overgrown kids," he said. "We're lucky enough to be playing football a long time. I enjoy meeting all these guys...finding out what makes them tick."

Browns Pro Bowl tackle Joe Thomas said Delhomme has been "a consummate team player. He jumped right in, fit right in. He was leaving his family every week to be with the team and try to learn the system. He's a guy who has a great deal of experience in this league. People look up to him and respect him."

"He studies hard, and on the field he slings the ball like a rookie," Thomas said. "He comes in and takes things very seriously but at the same time he fits in really well with the guys."

The Browns believe they're a team entering 2010 with some momentum after winning four straight to cap a 5-11 2009 season. A reborn Delhomme figures to be one of the biggest factors in whether or not they're able to extend that.

"He’s got great energy," Mangini said. "I don’t like making comparisons, but I will. He reminds me a little bit of (Brett) Favre that way, in terms of he enjoys practice, he enjoys being around the guys. He is able to be serious and still keep things light, it is really important to him. He has a good rapport with offensive guys, defensive guys and you just see it in their interaction in the weight room and all the different areas. It’s positive; it’s really positive.”

Delhomme joked that he's enjoyed his short time on the field this week after spending two months "inside lifting weights -- or watching guys lift weights."

"It's been lots of fun," he said. "I'm just excited to help whatever way I can."

Follow Zac Jackson on Twitter @FSOhioZJackson, and check out his reports on all

He says he chose the Browns because he wants to bring a winner to Cleveland, a city he described as "hardworking, blue-collar, gritty, football. That's football, that's America. You just want to win and help be a part of it."

more by Jake Delhomme - 19 hours ago - Boston Globe (3 occurrences)

138397.jpg

We here at The Browns Board make fun of everyone. Not just The Steelers and their fans. Although they do get the most hate from us. I thank you for your posts about Jake and your enthusiasm. At the same time I think it is a little creepy this gay man love you seem to have for Jake. It kind of reminds me of the gay Quinn fans that we just got rid of. I hope Jake does well for the Browns and I hope you get over the loss of your love interest. Remember time heals all wounds. It will be ok man.

they deleted my post about your wife.

you know what?

you sorry loser negative cleveland fans dont deserve jake and you dont deserve winner

no wonder jordan ripped you a new one 100000 times

no wonder elway bicth slapped you 10000000 times

no wonder lebron gonna slam the door on your cesspool loser town

mistake by the lake. i used to not think that until i read this pathetic "fan" forumn

you guys deserve to continue to be the WORST sports town in the USA by far

cleveland

you are the steelers little bicht. its so funny

ben might not be the best when it comes to bar room manners....but you know what?

dude has 2 rings and you know what you have? zip nada

losers

and it will stay that way for ever

i dont think jake can even do it for you

you negative losers will screw it up somehow

cleveland. sad

nice job with Lebron

i guess they will delete this post too

thefumble2.jpg

A web site

Cleveland sports torture

u losers

aint that special

i came in peace

left hating you losers

poor jake

su cleveland

All Rights Reserved by Cleveland Sports Torture. Template by Tina Chen. Powered by Blogger.

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Season ends, craziness begins...

Share The shock of last Thursday's Cavaliers elimination is finally reduced to mere throbbing.

Now comes the guessing, the hurtful rumors (to many people in a rumor I won't repeat, and to the City of Cleveland in the rumors about LeBron's destination), the conjecture, the talk about Calipari and LeBron, etc. etc.

Is there any doubt that despite what most basketball writers want--LeBron returning to the Cavaliers--the big boys at ESPN will do anything to stop? Check this website out.

ESPN's entire site geared around LeBron hysteria--and barely any talk about why he should stay in Cleveland. Not to mention the tons of reasons he would.

Thanks @azv321 for the picture.

Posted by Brian at 2:12 PM Labels: Cavaliers, Lebron

0 comments

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Day of Reckoning (Part One)

Share Okay, Tuesday night was bad. Wednesday may have been worse with the national media LeBron bash-fest, while Cleveland collectively sat around and tried to figure out what the hell just happened. We still don't know. And we may not even find out tonight. But then again...we may. It's Thursday now.

Despite the sudden bluster from New York thinking this is all of a sudden their golden ticket to the LeBron sweepstakes, this series isn't over. True, the Cavaliers have looked listless, but if anybody doesn't think that a national embarassment can't wake a team up, please check again.

Time to focus on the positive. This team won the most games in the league. They have the best player in the world. He's our guy, and he very well might come back tonight.

Go Cavs.

Share “Good night! Can’t grab a f***ing rebound. Allen is hot. Pierce is into it. Sloppy. No chance. No heart. No mental toughness. They can all go to hell.”

---

Such was the “breaking point” moment for CST contributor Froms during last night’s Cavs-Celts Game 5 apocalypse. Froms sent me the above staccato, outrage-fueled text message mere moments after Ray Allen sunk a three-ball near the beginning of the third quarter, when Boston outhustled the lethargic Cavs two possessions in a row to balloon its manageable six-point halftime lead to a seemingly insurmountable 12. At that instant, LeBron James and the Cavs seemed as broken as my melodramatic, text-abusing friend.

What a strange trip this post-season has been. Over my last 20-plus years of Cleveland sports fandom, I’ve seen many inexplicable sights, both good and ill, and have shushed the emotional slalom from its enervating heights to its bone breaking valleys.

Never have I felt such abject dislike for a Cleveland playoff team as I do these Cavs right now. While this fanbase has witnessed its well-documented share of sports disasters, those sickening moments were never due to lack of effort. There is no excuse for the bizarre passivity this team is displaying.

What I saw yesterday – and to some extent throughout these playoffs – is nothing short of mystifying. I have no idea where this roster’s collective head is at. Is it floating in the stratosphere with LeBron James, whose signature Game 3 performance just five days ago now seems like a sweet dream?

LeBron-related rumors of varying paranoia and lunacy are making the rounds on the off day: Local sports blabber Les Levine opined that #23 needs Tommy John-style ligament surgery on his elbow, which would shelve him for the entirety of next year. Message board chatter includes allegations that LeBron is on some kind of talent sapping pain medication, or tanking it on purpose in order to grease the skids of out of C-town, or that he’s otherwise distracted by the champagne wishes and caviar dreams of impending free agency.

Crackpot maunderings aside, there’s certainly something going on with the guy that’s made him a bystander during crucial points of this series. But if LeBron’s elbow is indeed troubling him, then where did that dynamic Game 3 performance come from?

I understand the man is not some basketball cyborg incapable of a bad game. If anything, Cleveland fans have been spoiled by Lebron’s greatness and perhaps unfairly expect a near triple double every time he laces up. LeBron said it himself during last night’s post-game presser: “When you have three bad games in seven years, it's easy to point them out.”

But one underperforming playoff game is not what this is about. No, this is LeBron at least giving the appearance of not giving a damn in what could be called, without hyperbole, the most critical playoff series in franchise history.

Is it his elbow, is it the Celtics’ admittedly stout defense, is it frustration toward Mike Brown’s questionable player rotations and an unhelpful supporting cast? I don’t know, but what we saw last night defied the logic of 600-plus games watching this kid tear up the league:

A tentative LeBron standing motionless on the wing while Anthony Parker or Andy Varejao clomped around the key trying to create their own shots; a timid LeBron deferring again and again even as Boston took control of the game; an impatient LeBron hoisting truly awful looking 20-foot jumpers that clanked off the side of the rim.

Coach Brown, LeBron’s teammates (see Williams, Mo) and a resilient Boston squad are all reasons why Cleveland’s starting down the barrel of elimination today. Still, if the crude saying about “shit rolling downhill” is correct, then that particular ball of excrement was given its first nudge by the King himself.

Posted by Doug at 10:55 PM Labels: Cavaliers

0 comments

Everybody hurts

Share The press today about LeBron and the Cavaliers is absolutely amazing. And totally deserved. And totally perplexing. I wonder if we will find out exactly what is going on with LeBron right now.

I'm not piling on, I'm not hating. I'm confused, and hurting.

Breakdown of Game 5.

Horribly true analysis from Adrian Wojnarowski and Brian Windhorst, too.

Posted by Brian at 6:53 PM Labels: Cavs, Lebron

0 comments

Game 6 - it's kinda big

Share Sports Guy thinks it's huge.

(Game 6 will be...) a game in which LeBron James and the Cavaliers will have more pressure on them than any team in the history of the second round, and also a game that could determine how the next 12 years of NBA titles unfold and possibly assassinate professional basketball in Cleveland

Posted by Brian at 3:29 PM

0 comments

Game 5 Catastrophe

Share I am still too much in pain to put much thoughts into words, but guest Todd sums it up pretty well:

that game was bullshit.

1. jamison cannot guard garnett. Varejao is the only option, but he's a good and proven one. I still think Jamison should play the 3 and guard Pierce

2. Parker blows anything that walks near him. He's a 25 cent hooker.

3. Moon should be playing until Mo can make a jump shot, drive, or not turn the ball over

4. Shaq can get the entire celtics team to foul out by the third quarter if Brown gives him the minutes.

5. LeBron needs to pull his head out of his ass and drive to the basket. The problem is that the celtics know that Mo and Parker can't shoot for shit, so they all sag off and double/triple him. This is why Moon, Varejao, and Gibson should be used more to bring energy and to keep the defense honest.

6. If Ray Allen doesn't have to play defense or rebound, he saves all his energy to run off screens and shoot 5-6 from 3 pt range. See item 2. Parker and Mo couldn't guard me, and combining that with Jamison on Garnett and it all makes sense.

This is a match-up series and Brown refuses to accept that his beloved Parker and Mo are not getting the job done. They aren't bad players, they're just horrendous match-ups in this series. Jamison is good against most 4's, but Garnett is just too long for him. He's got to adjust and start wearing those old bastards down with some young legs running them all over the floor. At least Moon, Gibson, and Varejao run like crazy. They cut to the basket. They get in your face on defense. They are annoying to guard and to score against. That counts.

Of course all this is irrelevant if LeBron shoots well, but it would be nice to get a tactical win in this series instead of having to rely upon LeBron to just dominate all the time. How many fast breaks did Cleveland have? Steals? How much did they press the ball on either end? How many horrible box outs did Mo and Parker have? At least if Booby misses a box out he is capable of hitting an open 3. The turnovers...puke. Those were a symptom of the horrible spacing and lack of respect that Boston had for Parker and Mo/West to hit open jumpers.

Starting 5:

Shaq

Andy

Jamison

LeBron

Moon

How annoying would it be to have to play against those 5? You've got long, quick defenders around Shaq. They have mismatches all over the floor. Allen gets Moon or LeBron. Pierce can try and post up Jamison. Andy will annoy the crap out of Garnett. Moon or LeBron gets Rondo, both of whom are quick enough and jump high enough to give him trouble shooting. That saves Mo/West/Parker/Z/Hickson to come off the bench. If you only have one of those guys in at a time it won't kill you. I think Z is a good fit in this series as long as Hickson or Andy is out there with him to take Garnett.

The good news? LeBron has to be really pissed off at himself right now and the winner of game 6 wins the series. Boston is not going to go into Cleveland and win a game 7 if the Cavs play like they should in game 6. The bad news? If they lose game 6 it takes LeBron from 90% back in Cleveland to 30% back in Cleveland. That's a lot worse than a stupid playoff game.

Posted by Brian at 8:20 AM

1 comments

Sunday, May 02, 2010

A Game One to Remember

Share Everyone's blood pressure was rising during Game One, and it was an amazing game to be sure. Even in the first half, I was never panicky, because it seemed the Cavs missed a ton of layups--and that is a lot better sign than missing a ton of jump shots, because you know that layups are eventually going to fall, and the fact that the Cavs were getting good looks was a good sign. Not as good a sign, that Rajon Rondo was absolutely unstoppable--again against the Cavs. I don't know what the secret is to stopping Rondo, but my gut says it's initials are D.W.

Anyway, so many amazing moments, from Delonte's swinging dunk, to LeBron's 3rd quarter ending shot, to Shaq's takeoff and throwdown. But of course, it was "Air" Mo Williams huge dunk that got the game totally turned around. It was so unexpected that I didn't realize what happened--it was too loud for me to hear the announcers and I couldn't tell if the layup that I figured Mo was trying to get off actually made it to the rim. But wow--that's the Mo that we wanted to see last year, and the Mo we know we have.

This might be a collection of highlights we want to see for a long time...

Posted by Brian at 7:46 PM Labels: Cavaliers

0 comments

Saturday, May 01, 2010

Round Two

Share Well some are playing this up as a possible payback for 2008, where the Celtics knocked the Cavs out in 7 thrilling games, on their way to a bought NBA title. Me, I think it's just payback to a team that the Cavs hate as much as their fans. Between the mindless trash talking of Kevin Garnett, the peskiness of Rajon Rondo, the thumb-twistiness of Glen Davis, the old man camped out shooting threes, and everything else on that team, LeBron can't stand them as much as I can't. So here we go. Twelve to go.

Posted by Brian at 6:27 PM

0 comments

Friday, April 30, 2010

The Funniest Team in the NBA

I mean, we knew that the Cavs had to be one of the closest teams in the NBA. And it isn't just this year, it's every year. LeBron James is like the glue to a team that is so close and so happy, it's infectious. As shown in the famous LeBron-jumps-into-Z's-arms photo after Game 6 of that Detroit series. (That still brings a tear to my eye.

And last year, into this year, it's shown how funny the Cavs are, when it comes to the pregame intro poses, to the music videos that the players randomly put onto YouTube. (Maybe not Cleveland Indians pie-in-the-face funny, but nonetheless.)

A video of Shaq (poorly, but hilariously) lip-syncing to Rick Springfield's "Jesse's Girl" came out today, and it made me laugh out loud. Shaq is hilarious.

And let's not forget Delonte's famous rap...Iced TEA!!!!!!

...and LeBron's acting...

....and of course the LeBron and Kobe puppet...

And Shaq and LeBron dancing...

Posted by Brian at 1:27 PM Labels: Cavaliers, Lebron

0 comments

M-V-P!! M-V-P!!

Share To no one's surprise, the Associated Press is reporting that a source says that LeBron James will receive his second MVP award in a ceremony at the University of Akron on Sunday.

Here's to many more in Cleveland, LeBron!

Posted by Brian at 12:03 PM

0 comments

Monday, April 26, 2010

Haiku of the Day

Share #Cavs need game 4 win /

LeBron says "Get on my back" /

Not Boobie or Z.

Posted by Brian at 9:28 AM

0 comments

Sunday, April 25, 2010

That's better

Share If the Cavaliers' confounding Game 3 loss to Chicago on Thursday night was a "wake-up call," then LeBron and friends spent the first quarter-and-a-half of Game 4 responding to this hypothetical alarm by blearily slapping the snooze button and rolling over for a little extra shut-eye.

When the Cavs finally did come to, however, they did so with a bloody vengeance and played their best game of these young playoffs. As usual with this team, the offense thrived when the defense was making stops. The Cavs strangled the guard penetration and open shots the Bulls used to dice the defense over two-plus games, leading to the smooth transition game that is Cleveland's offensive strength. The half-court offense still needs work as ever - Shaq must go into his move set quicker and the team is taking too many threes. Still, I always enjoy a balanced scoring attack that doesn't include LeBron taking jab-step jumpers with two seconds left on the shot clock.

Really, this was precisely the convincing win this squad needed. Victory is inevitable at this stage of the post-season, meaning how the Cavs compete is just as important as the results. If Thursday's disheartening game ends up being the cold shower that awakens the Cavs for the rest of the playoffs, then so be it.

P

Wow you are pathetic. One person says something and you freak out. If your post got deleted sorry. I would have loved to read it and laugh. i guess the man love comments hit a little to close to home. LOL. You are just jealous that you don't have true and knowledgeable fans like Cleveland. And I know you are still grieving the loss of your man.

It will be ok.

I enjoyed Jake Guts posts and ageed with most of them, but you went sour on one poster and threw all Cleveland fans under the bus?

You have no right to comment on any Cleveland sports History, the Browns have more Hall of Famers than your team has years in the league.

So what about your history? Oh yea u have none, how bout basketball?...nope, baseball?......nope

Did anyone actually read that extra long post? I know I sure as hell didn't. The Cavs also should have gone deeper in the playoffs than they did. I think real credence can be placed on the lebron mom and Delonte West fiasco. What a damn shame to because this year was as good as any for Lebron to get that ring that Cleveland has wanted for a long, long time.

<------ Cavs fan thanks to Kent State University and Mark Price back in the day. (Also proxy)

A web site

Cleveland sports torture

u losers

aint that special

i came in peace

left hating you losers

poor jake

su cleveland

All Rights Reserved by Cleveland Sports Torture. Template by Tina Chen. Powered by Blogger.

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Season ends, craziness begins...

Share The shock of last Thursday's Cavaliers elimination is finally reduced to mere throbbing.

Now comes the guessing, the hurtful rumors (to many people in a rumor I won't repeat, and to the City of Cleveland in the rumors about LeBron's destination), the conjecture, the talk about Calipari and LeBron, etc. etc.

Is there any doubt that despite what most basketball writers want--LeBron returning to the Cavaliers--the big boys at ESPN will do anything to stop? Check this website out.

ESPN's entire site geared around LeBron hysteria--and barely any talk about why he should stay in Cleveland. Not to mention the tons of reasons he would.

Thanks @azv321 for the picture.

Posted by Brian at 2:12 PM Labels: Cavaliers, Lebron

0 comments

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Day of Reckoning (Part One)

Share Okay, Tuesday night was bad. Wednesday may have been worse with the national media LeBron bash-fest, while Cleveland collectively sat around and tried to figure out what the hell just happened. We still don't know. And we may not even find out tonight. But then again...we may. It's Thursday now.

Despite the sudden bluster from New York thinking this is all of a sudden their golden ticket to the LeBron sweepstakes, this series isn't over. True, the Cavaliers have looked listless, but if anybody doesn't think that a national embarassment can't wake a team up, please check again.

Time to focus on the positive. This team won the most games in the league. They have the best player in the world. He's our guy, and he very well might come back tonight.

Go Cavs.

Share “Good night! Can’t grab a f***ing rebound. Allen is hot. Pierce is into it. Sloppy. No chance. No heart. No mental toughness. They can all go to hell.”

---

Such was the “breaking point” moment for CST contributor Froms during last night’s Cavs-Celts Game 5 apocalypse. Froms sent me the above staccato, outrage-fueled text message mere moments after Ray Allen sunk a three-ball near the beginning of the third quarter, when Boston outhustled the lethargic Cavs two possessions in a row to balloon its manageable six-point halftime lead to a seemingly insurmountable 12. At that instant, LeBron James and the Cavs seemed as broken as my melodramatic, text-abusing friend.

What a strange trip this post-season has been. Over my last 20-plus years of Cleveland sports fandom, I’ve seen many inexplicable sights, both good and ill, and have shushed the emotional slalom from its enervating heights to its bone breaking valleys.

Never have I felt such abject dislike for a Cleveland playoff team as I do these Cavs right now. While this fanbase has witnessed its well-documented share of sports disasters, those sickening moments were never due to lack of effort. There is no excuse for the bizarre passivity this team is displaying.

What I saw yesterday – and to some extent throughout these playoffs – is nothing short of mystifying. I have no idea where this roster’s collective head is at. Is it floating in the stratosphere with LeBron James, whose signature Game 3 performance just five days ago now seems like a sweet dream?

LeBron-related rumors of varying paranoia and lunacy are making the rounds on the off day: Local sports blabber Les Levine opined that #23 needs Tommy John-style ligament surgery on his elbow, which would shelve him for the entirety of next year. Message board chatter includes allegations that LeBron is on some kind of talent sapping pain medication, or tanking it on purpose in order to grease the skids of out of C-town, or that he’s otherwise distracted by the champagne wishes and caviar dreams of impending free agency.

Crackpot maunderings aside, there’s certainly something going on with the guy that’s made him a bystander during crucial points of this series. But if LeBron’s elbow is indeed troubling him, then where did that dynamic Game 3 performance come from?

I understand the man is not some basketball cyborg incapable of a bad game. If anything, Cleveland fans have been spoiled by Lebron’s greatness and perhaps unfairly expect a near triple double every time he laces up. LeBron said it himself during last night’s post-game presser: “When you have three bad games in seven years, it's easy to point them out.”

But one underperforming playoff game is not what this is about. No, this is LeBron at least giving the appearance of not giving a damn in what could be called, without hyperbole, the most critical playoff series in franchise history.

Is it his elbow, is it the Celtics’ admittedly stout defense, is it frustration toward Mike Brown’s questionable player rotations and an unhelpful supporting cast? I don’t know, but what we saw last night defied the logic of 600-plus games watching this kid tear up the league:

A tentative LeBron standing motionless on the wing while Anthony Parker or Andy Varejao clomped around the key trying to create their own shots; a timid LeBron deferring again and again even as Boston took control of the game; an impatient LeBron hoisting truly awful looking 20-foot jumpers that clanked off the side of the rim.

Coach Brown, LeBron’s teammates (see Williams, Mo) and a resilient Boston squad are all reasons why Cleveland’s starting down the barrel of elimination today. Still, if the crude saying about “shit rolling downhill” is correct, then that particular ball of excrement was given its first nudge by the King himself.

Posted by Doug at 10:55 PM Labels: Cavaliers

0 comments

Everybody hurts

Share The press today about LeBron and the Cavaliers is absolutely amazing. And totally deserved. And totally perplexing. I wonder if we will find out exactly what is going on with LeBron right now.

I'm not piling on, I'm not hating. I'm confused, and hurting.

Breakdown of Game 5.

Horribly true analysis from Adrian Wojnarowski and Brian Windhorst, too.

Posted by Brian at 6:53 PM Labels: Cavs, Lebron

0 comments

Game 6 - it's kinda big

Share Sports Guy thinks it's huge.

(Game 6 will be...) a game in which LeBron James and the Cavaliers will have more pressure on them than any team in the history of the second round, and also a game that could determine how the next 12 years of NBA titles unfold and possibly assassinate professional basketball in Cleveland

Posted by Brian at 3:29 PM

0 comments

Game 5 Catastrophe

Share I am still too much in pain to put much thoughts into words, but guest Todd sums it up pretty well:

that game was bullshit.

1. jamison cannot guard garnett. Varejao is the only option, but he's a good and proven one. I still think Jamison should play the 3 and guard Pierce

2. Parker blows anything that walks near him. He's a 25 cent hooker.

3. Moon should be playing until Mo can make a jump shot, drive, or not turn the ball over

4. Shaq can get the entire celtics team to foul out by the third quarter if Brown gives him the minutes.

5. LeBron needs to pull his head out of his ass and drive to the basket. The problem is that the celtics know that Mo and Parker can't shoot for shit, so they all sag off and double/triple him. This is why Moon, Varejao, and Gibson should be used more to bring energy and to keep the defense honest.

6. If Ray Allen doesn't have to play defense or rebound, he saves all his energy to run off screens and shoot 5-6 from 3 pt range. See item 2. Parker and Mo couldn't guard me, and combining that with Jamison on Garnett and it all makes sense.

This is a match-up series and Brown refuses to accept that his beloved Parker and Mo are not getting the job done. They aren't bad players, they're just horrendous match-ups in this series. Jamison is good against most 4's, but Garnett is just too long for him. He's got to adjust and start wearing those old bastards down with some young legs running them all over the floor. At least Moon, Gibson, and Varejao run like crazy. They cut to the basket. They get in your face on defense. They are annoying to guard and to score against. That counts.

Of course all this is irrelevant if LeBron shoots well, but it would be nice to get a tactical win in this series instead of having to rely upon LeBron to just dominate all the time. How many fast breaks did Cleveland have? Steals? How much did they press the ball on either end? How many horrible box outs did Mo and Parker have? At least if Booby misses a box out he is capable of hitting an open 3. The turnovers...puke. Those were a symptom of the horrible spacing and lack of respect that Boston had for Parker and Mo/West to hit open jumpers.

Starting 5:

Shaq

Andy

Jamison

LeBron

Moon

How annoying would it be to have to play against those 5? You've got long, quick defenders around Shaq. They have mismatches all over the floor. Allen gets Moon or LeBron. Pierce can try and post up Jamison. Andy will annoy the crap out of Garnett. Moon or LeBron gets Rondo, both of whom are quick enough and jump high enough to give him trouble shooting. That saves Mo/West/Parker/Z/Hickson to come off the bench. If you only have one of those guys in at a time it won't kill you. I think Z is a good fit in this series as long as Hickson or Andy is out there with him to take Garnett.

The good news? LeBron has to be really pissed off at himself right now and the winner of game 6 wins the series. Boston is not going to go into Cleveland and win a game 7 if the Cavs play like they should in game 6. The bad news? If they lose game 6 it takes LeBron from 90% back in Cleveland to 30% back in Cleveland. That's a lot worse than a stupid playoff game.

Posted by Brian at 8:20 AM

1 comments

Sunday, May 02, 2010

A Game One to Remember

Share Everyone's blood pressure was rising during Game One, and it was an amazing game to be sure. Even in the first half, I was never panicky, because it seemed the Cavs missed a ton of layups--and that is a lot better sign than missing a ton of jump shots, because you know that layups are eventually going to fall, and the fact that the Cavs were getting good looks was a good sign. Not as good a sign, that Rajon Rondo was absolutely unstoppable--again against the Cavs. I don't know what the secret is to stopping Rondo, but my gut says it's initials are D.W.

Anyway, so many amazing moments, from Delonte's swinging dunk, to LeBron's 3rd quarter ending shot, to Shaq's takeoff and throwdown. But of course, it was "Air" Mo Williams huge dunk that got the game totally turned around. It was so unexpected that I didn't realize what happened--it was too loud for me to hear the announcers and I couldn't tell if the layup that I figured Mo was trying to get off actually made it to the rim. But wow--that's the Mo that we wanted to see last year, and the Mo we know we have.

This might be a collection of highlights we want to see for a long time...

Posted by Brian at 7:46 PM Labels: Cavaliers

0 comments

Saturday, May 01, 2010

Round Two

Share Well some are playing this up as a possible payback for 2008, where the Celtics knocked the Cavs out in 7 thrilling games, on their way to a bought NBA title. Me, I think it's just payback to a team that the Cavs hate as much as their fans. Between the mindless trash talking of Kevin Garnett, the peskiness of Rajon Rondo, the thumb-twistiness of Glen Davis, the old man camped out shooting threes, and everything else on that team, LeBron can't stand them as much as I can't. So here we go. Twelve to go.

Posted by Brian at 6:27 PM

0 comments

Friday, April 30, 2010

The Funniest Team in the NBA

I mean, we knew that the Cavs had to be one of the closest teams in the NBA. And it isn't just this year, it's every year. LeBron James is like the glue to a team that is so close and so happy, it's infectious. As shown in the famous LeBron-jumps-into-Z's-arms photo after Game 6 of that Detroit series. (That still brings a tear to my eye.

And last year, into this year, it's shown how funny the Cavs are, when it comes to the pregame intro poses, to the music videos that the players randomly put onto YouTube. (Maybe not Cleveland Indians pie-in-the-face funny, but nonetheless.)

A video of Shaq (poorly, but hilariously) lip-syncing to Rick Springfield's "Jesse's Girl" came out today, and it made me laugh out loud. Shaq is hilarious.

And let's not forget Delonte's famous rap...Iced TEA!!!!!!

...and LeBron's acting...

....and of course the LeBron and Kobe puppet...

And Shaq and LeBron dancing...

Posted by Brian at 1:27 PM Labels: Cavaliers, Lebron

0 comments

M-V-P!! M-V-P!!

Share To no one's surprise, the Associated Press is reporting that a source says that LeBron James will receive his second MVP award in a ceremony at the University of Akron on Sunday.

Here's to many more in Cleveland, LeBron!

Posted by Brian at 12:03 PM

0 comments

Monday, April 26, 2010

Haiku of the Day

Share #Cavs need game 4 win /

LeBron says "Get on my back" /

Not Boobie or Z.

Posted by Brian at 9:28 AM

0 comments

Sunday, April 25, 2010

That's better

Share If the Cavaliers' confounding Game 3 loss to Chicago on Thursday night was a "wake-up call," then LeBron and friends spent the first quarter-and-a-half of Game 4 responding to this hypothetical alarm by blearily slapping the snooze button and rolling over for a little extra shut-eye.

When the Cavs finally did come to, however, they did so with a bloody vengeance and played their best game of these young playoffs. As usual with this team, the offense thrived when the defense was making stops. The Cavs strangled the guard penetration and open shots the Bulls used to dice the defense over two-plus games, leading to the smooth transition game that is Cleveland's offensive strength. The half-court offense still needs work as ever - Shaq must go into his move set quicker and the team is taking too many threes. Still, I always enjoy a balanced scoring attack that doesn't include LeBron taking jab-step jumpers with two seconds left on the shot clock.

Really, this was precisely the convincing win this squad needed. Victory is inevitable at this stage of the post-season, meaning how the Cavs compete is just as important as the results. If Thursday's disheartening game ends up being the cold shower that awakens the Cavs for the rest of the playoffs, then so be it.

P

Jake fag.

I came in peace.

reaching out to you guys

having my bro Jakes MF back when others have forgotten what he has done.

all i got was hate-o-aid from you negative fukcs

read the posts.

now you turn on me

u guys need to look in the mirror

go ahead, trash me. i don't give a fukc

you guys shd be ashamed how u treated someone reaching out

i got nothing to prove to you losers.

yea, i'm huge steelers fan. my dad is terry bradshaw. fu

i have ben posters on my wall.

FU. you attack me cause you cant look at what loser dicks you are

I'll still root for jake. you don't deserve him

Wow.

Jake Guts I love you. I'm from SC and a Panthers fan since the franchise started, albeit to a very rough start. Jake is the man. He will become the Cleveland Cajun, get his mojo back, and I will rejoice to see him back to his confident awesome self. I still pull for the Cats; no way will my loyalties leave my home team. But I'm a Jake fan through and through and that won't change until he leaves the NFL. The November game will be touchy....... He has "it." Watch for "it." Hey, rehab dude, that was funny as crap........

Jake Guts, i appreciated the Delhomme praise and the positive posts but seriously, you need some thicker bark if you're gonna hang out here.

i can only speak for sisky but if you want to delete those posts, i'll be more than happy to turn my head and act like i never even saw it.

now raise your damn cup up and let's clink to Jake 2010.

Jake Guts, i appreciated the Delhomme praise and the positive posts but seriously, you need some thicker bark

bark this.

want to hang here?

I gotta wash my MF after posting in this hell hole. Some of your self loathing neg mojo might wear off on me

to the little wanna be hom% quoting his jerking off fantasy stats to show that Jake will suck

the giants cut curt warner

some of you guys know im right

i can tell by the posts

the post on the steelers

spot on

you losers have MORE posts on your big daddy The pittsburgh steelers

your loser insecurity is disgusting

the steelers own you and they own your SOULS

the are winners

and you will keep being their little slu# until you change your attitudes

im the tough love you negative xxxxs need

this is by far the most hopeless, negative NFL on the planet

you guys are pathetic

read the stuff

you dudes LOSE everything before they even play the GD games

ever move one of your teams make...you trash.

you're so used to getting bihcth slapped up the as%.....you save the hope and any chance of let down.

you start out with the hate.

IM THE TOUGH LOVE DADDY YOU GUYS NEED. YOU SHOULD BEG ME TO RUN THIS GD FORUM. ID GET YOU A MF RING

YOU NEED ME. I AM YOUR DADDY.

bark this.

want to hang here?

I gotta wash my MF after posting in this hell hole. Some of your self loathing neg mojo might wear off on me

to the little wanna be hom% quoting his jerking off fantasy stats to show that Jake will suck

i can tell by the posts

the post on the steelers

spot on

the are winners

you guys are pathetic

read the stuff

you're so used to getting bihcth slapped up the as%.....you save the hope and any chance of let down.

IM THE TOUGH LOVE DADDY YOU GUYS NEED. YOU SHOULD BEG ME TO RUN THIS GD FORUM. ID GET YOU A MF RING

Self delusion is great. Go away, xxxxhole.

bark this.

want to hang here?

i can tell by the posts

the post on the steelers

spot on

the are winners

you guys are pathetic

read the stuff

I can picture him, sitting by his computer, drool coming from his mouth, with a slight grin.

Archived