THE BROWNS BOARD

Bill Cowher

titleist585

Assuming Bill Cowher becomes the Browns coach...what happens to Phil? I heard ESPN say Kevin Colbert would come along with Cowher. Would a Pittsburgh born person (that being Colbert) leave his hometown team?

Do they have an official story on it? Link? I've chalked this Cowher thing up to blogesphere (ProFootballTalk.com) chatter so far.

Do they have an official story on it? Link? I've chalked this Cowher thing up to blogesphere (ProFootballTalk.com) chatter so far.

Nothing on Foxsports.net or ESPN.com...it is on NBCSports.com although it looks like they have them as "courting" him. I think I may have had ESPN First Take on in the background...is that a reliable source?

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/27833751/

There's a link but it credits PFT as the source..

Sorry to appear to be talking to myself on this topic...but assuming someone did call Cowher, who would it have been? I assume not Lerner because he likes the ohter game of football. Bob Kain?

I googled this....and every report out there ties back to the PFT report. In other words....PFT is the only source for this report.

Now, I am not saying that this makes it a 'false' claim...but they have run with a thing or two in the past that have not exactly panned out in the light of day.

As for the realistic possibilities of the Browns going after Cowher....

1. As stated elsewhere....Savage would have to take a major reduction in his role (or be gone) as Cowher is going to want his own poeple.

2. Savage has, in reality, brought in more talent in his tenure than we have had at any point since the return

3. Despite the losses this year...the team shows the ABILITY to be a top team...with just a few additions

4. Coaches have a tendency to want their own AC's...which means Chud is likely gone....and the offense starts over...and this is FAR more likely if the HC also has GM powers

5. The last time we gave a HC the GM duties, it was an unmitigated disaster...and Lerner is unlikely to want to revisit that

I think that the Browns have made some overtures to Cowher...to see if he would play nice within the system...and to get a general feel if he would be open to it IF they decide to go looking....but I doubt there was more than a feeling out process in play.

Besides, there are several other teams that would READILY give Cowher all the power...and a warmer place to live...than the Browns can offer.

I would be satisfied with Spagnola of the Giants. Then Chud would probably be retained, but the defensive system and players would certainly change. I don't have a real problem with Savage. He has made some mistakes, but he has also brought in some good players. I believe the bigger problem is that the coaching staff is not using the talent here.

I look at the roster and see a team that should be winning.

Assuming Bill Cowher becomes the Browns coach...what happens to Phil?

My first inclination would be to think adieu Phil.

BUT, if Phil is the one to shitcan RAC, then I guess he'd be the one to hire Cowher, and therefore stay on. If Lerner is the "one" who shitcans RAC, then that would tell me he's taking over football decisions and will therefore fire Phil as well.

Who the hell knows with this fucked up org any more...makes me sad.

I would like to point out that savage has done a good job of catering to romeo crennel who asked phil for used up old wiley veterans to round out the team and savage got them for him i dont see why this approach wouldnt work.. with phil and cowher working together on (drafted)talent we would be badass in short order(theoreticaly speaking)

The biggest differences in rac and BC is cowher understands talent and can truly evaluate talent across the board rac cannot cowher is also a motivator of both players and his assistants rac is niether cowher will want top flight talent around him romeo doesnt really seem to care that he is surrounded with football flunkies..

I hope this is true but since theres only one source i remain skepical...

Maybe Cowher will coach in Oakland?

Cowher's got a better chance at showing up on the cover of Vogue than patrolling the Raiders' sidelines.

He's not an idiot.

you guys have imagination I'll give you that. Cower is not coming to coach vs the steelers in the same division.. NO WAY. I like him for a coach.. I just do not see him coming here. If he wants the GM job too... Then I guess I don't want him. It is fairly well proven. Those jobs need to be separated.

Assuming Bill Cowher becomes the Browns coach...what happens to Phil? I heard ESPN say Kevin Colbert would come along with Cowher. Would a Pittsburgh born person (that being Colbert) leave his hometown team?

Bill Cowher himself IS a Pittsburgh Born and Bred person !!

Bill Cowher himself IS a Pittsburgh Born and Bred person !!

That may be true but he did his NFL teething in Cleveland just like Chuck Noll. You could say they became the Christopher Columbus of Pittsburgh Steeler football even though there might be a couple natives arguing they had Pro Football before Noll. You can't argue with football follies.

- Tom F. (All of the AFC North roots trace back to Paul Brown. So do dynasty coaches like Bill Walsh and Don Shula. It's not just a coincidence - it's a reality of life)

Archived