THE BROWNS BOARD

The health care bill explained

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And here's what goes into effect immediately:

- No child under 19 will be excluded from plans because of preexisting conditions.

- No more caps on how much care the insured will be able to receive in a single year.

- Adults with preexisting conditions will be able to start shopping online for a plan in a national high-risk pool while waiting for insurance exchanges to get started.

- Small business can deduct as much as 50 percent of employees’ health benefits for tax purposes in 2009 and 2010.

- No more “donut hole” of Medicare prescription drug coverage with a rebate.

- Insurers will have to post their balance sheets online, listing administrative costs, executive compensation packages, and benefit payments.

- You can no longer be dropped from your insurance plan just because you get sick.

The HORROR!

Here's a good look at the health care bill, what it does, when the varying parts kick in, and who is paying for it. Hopefully it will help talk some of you down off a ledge. You may disagree with it, but it's really not that scary.

Health care graphic

So say I make 46K a year I pay around $250/mo? Where I was working before I was paying $120/mo through work. How does help me Heck. This is more confusing then my HMO plan. What about COBRA?

I mean I guess this will help business, but the cost is thrown onto the employee? Right?

Heck I have been trying to say objective, I am sure you have noticed that. I saw some specifics, but this looks like the shit end of the stick for the middle class and upper.

So say I make 46K a year I pay around $250/mo? Where I was working before I was paying $120/mo through work. How does help me Heck. This is more confusing then my HMO plan. What about COBRA?

I mean I guess this will help business, but the cost is thrown onto the employee? Right?

Heck I have been trying to say objective, I am sure you have noticed that. I saw some specifics, but this looks like the shit end of the stick for the middle class and upper.

This is what ALWAYS happens when the Government gets involved.

I haven't studied it enough to give an educated answer. However, you might be mixing up how much the plan/policy, itself, costs vs. the % of that cost paid by the company vs. the % paid by the employee. Truth be told, I am a bit confused by that after looking at the LA Times piece. Don't even know if or how I will be impacted by my (wife's) current plan.

PS Although Heck has been annointed official 'subject matter expert' on this bill, it's a bit unfair to expect him to explain every feature. In time, I believe, better and more comprehensive explanations will be provided.

Just my stupid 2-cents.

You know what's going to happen. People are going to pay the $695 and still use emergency rooms as their clinic. It's cheaper that way. Instead of the lower class doing this or people without insurance, you are going to see visits from the middle class paying the $695 fine because it's cheaper. What will that do to credit rating for the middle class? Who's going to by that foreclosed home now?

Disclaimer: Just speculation based on what I have read.

I haven't studied it enough to give an educated answer. However, you might be mixing up how much the plan/policy, itself, costs vs. the % of that cost paid by the company vs. the % paid by the employee. Truth be told, I am a bit confused by that after looking at the LA Times piece. Don't even know if or how I will be impacted by my (wife's) current plan.

Thanks John, I guess i don't understand well at this point. I wish people would stop fighting over shit they don't understand and start explaining why they feel the way they do in terms of the actual bill.

I can't really tell what you're saying in your example. You're self-employed now and making $46,000 and paying $250 a month? And before you were making _____ and paying $120?

If you're still employed, nothing changes for you. Except your coverage is more secure.

If you're in the individual market nothing really changes either, unless you qualify for subsidies. And that makes the coverage more affordable, not less.

But again, I can't really tell what you're saying.

T, please be objective here, how does this effect your business? It's done with, let's speak business here, how does this help you and people looking for jobs and your hiring outlook.

Well due to the lack of business and how its has not been stimulated, when I strat to hire folks they will only be part timers or maye I can go the route of hiring contract workers.

I can't really tell what you're saying in your example. You're self-employed now and making $46,000 and paying $250 a month? And before you were making _____ and paying $120?

If you're still employed, nothing changes for you. Except your coverage is more secure.

If you're in the individual market nothing really changes either, unless you qualify for subsidies. And that makes the coverage more affordable, not less.

But again, I can't really tell what you're saying.

Sorry Heck. I used to make 46k, I don't give a shit, I tell everyone what I make/made, I never understood people are secretive about that shit. I paid $120/mo with the employer paying about $240/mo.

Now I'm unemployed making about 35% of that and pay $132/mo for the COBRA plan with the government picking up 60% of the bill. So I am making 35% of what I used to now, and pay more for health care then I did with my old job.

Thanks

How long ago was your old job? This is sort of the point - health care costs keep going up year after year. It's no surprise that you're paying more, even with the government picking up some of your tab.

You'd also have to figure that you got less money in salary from your former employer because he also paid you in health benefits.

Tough to extract everything in terms of cost. But it seems pretty clear that if you're making 35% of your former pay you're going to be eligible for subsidies. And that will make your coverage less expensive than it would have been.

Health care insurance will always be expensive. This isn't a magic pill. It's an effort to extend coverage to those who can't afford it, and to make everyone's coverage more secure. In return for that, the insurance companies get lots of new customers.

Not sure, but we shall see. MeanwhileI need to get back to work, my mexicans got deported last night.

Just let me know T. I am sure those Mexican's can't process advanced variable print, CASS certify mail, set up PURLS, plan and implement marketing campaigns, run pre-press, run and upkeep every type of digital equipment in their sleep or perform advanced graphic design and design websites.

Just let me know T. I am sure those Mexican's can't process advanced variable print, CASS certify mail, set up PURLS, plan and implement marketing campaigns, run pre-press, run and upkeep every type of digital equipment in their sleep or perform advanced graphic design and design websites.

Well they were working on that, they have been atending the local community college for cheap.

Profits will supersede, when it all boils down, so will we see more factories close up and go to foreign countries?

The progressives are not done yet, this is just one step of legislation/programs to be forced be upon the american people against their will.

At the present time, we have seen how progressive politicians will employ their own ideology over practicality.

In the next few months we will see Cap n Tax, Immigration reform, Gun control. The progressives twisted the arms of all of those in the democratic party to get HC reform passed. All you had to do is look at the face of Stupak as he sold out America, and how he sold out his vote along with the supposed other pro life democrats to see what is going on here.

So Heck is following his marching orders and showing everyone all of the Free Candy that we will be getting! Hoping to sway public opibion into excepting that the will of the people was not met.

And you want to know how this will effect jobs? Just wait they are not done yet. And how long will it be before we are enslaved to the government to pay nothing more than Higher taxes while the jobs will be leaving.

So lets here more about all the free candy!!!!!!! And while your at it tells us how will it be paid for. May I remind you this is a 1 Trillion dollar spending law!

It's a farce dude....most of the people making in the higher end don't pay that much now.

In time employers are going to figure out it is cheaper to pay the fine then it is to offer insurance....so the top end earners....88K a year will be paying much more for insurance.

Sorry....88K is shit for a family of 4 and in no way is it in what I consider the elite class.

You people make me sick.

You need to set your sights higher then a measly 88K per year household income.

A person making minimum wage and working 50 hours a week make nearly half the 44k figure.

This is the fleecing of the middle class by the FREELOADER class.

It is also going to encourage even more freeloaders. Once people figure out if they make more and have to pay more, the morons are going to sit on their ass.. Subsidized housing and foodstamps prove that...if people start getting close to making too much money, they quit long enough to keep the freebies coming in.

As long as the Dems give stuff to the morons of the country, you'll stay in control a long, long time.

So what's your interest in the game....are you young and dumb or are you getting something??

Also....what about the breeder families...5-6-7 kids...what the hell are they going to have to pay. There has to be some scale taking them in to account.

I am sure at some point we will actually pay some class of individual a bonus check for signing up.

But...the good news is state after state is lining up against this croc of crap....at some point there will be enough who don't care what the government or supreme court may say....they aren't going to listen, then it is game on.

In time employers are going to figure out it is cheaper to pay the fine then it is to offer insurance....so the top end earners....88K a year will be paying much more for insurance.

BINGO. I just saw my neighbor at Giant Eagle, he is nurse for the Cleveland Clinic. That is exactly what he and some doctors speculated, he foresaw this happening. Even where he works, lol! At the Cleveland Clinic! WHAT????

Oh, Heck....I know you aren't dumb, and don't know how old you are, nor care.....just keeping it real.....sorry if i insulted you...I am just fired up over this...this is the beginning of the end for this country....we're done.

We don't have a smart population as a whole, we don't have enough jobs to support the population, and we have a class of population who has been provided for for so long they can't provide for themself.

Archived