THE BROWNS BOARD

Colt McCoy to visit Browns

kosar_win

By James Walker

Recently Cleveland Browns president Mike Holmgren said the team probably won’t draft a quarterback with the No. 7 overall pick. But every quarterback after the first round certainly is fair game.

According to a league source, the Browns are expressing interest in University of Texas quarterback Colt McCoy. Cleveland will bring McCoy in for a two-day visit on April 12-13, the source told the AFC North blog.

After trading former starter Brady Quinn to the Denver Broncos and releasing former Pro Bowler Derek Anderson, Cleveland is searching for its quarterback of the future. McCoy, a projected second-round pick, led the Longhorns with 3,521 passing yards and 27 touchdowns last season. He had a quarterback rating of 147.41.

The Browns signed veteran Jake Delhomme to a two-year contract this offseason and traded for career backup Seneca Wallace. Delhomme, 35, is expected to be the starter in 2010 but is not the long-term solution for Cleveland.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id...to-visit-browns

Also saw some "tweet" via Chris Mortonsen, who stated our interest in Coly McCoy is gaining momentum. I personally wouldn't mind drafting him and actually thought he's someone we've been targeting in terms of letting sit a year or two and then being able to come in and potentially take the reigns.

"mortreport Hearing Browns interest in Colt McCoy is real - either w 2nd round pick or package picks to move into bottom of 1st rd. Don't rule it out. 15 minutes ago"

I think this would be a good pick up. He played in a good league against good competition. Let him sit a few years and learn from a veteran and I think he could turn out to be a good pickup. Not sure I would package anything to get him in the first round though. I have many more concerns on whether or not Jake can turn his career around.

if that happens maybe within those two years he can grow some balls.

Are you referring to the National Title game when he lost the feeling in his shoulder and arm?

Yeah, that's what I refer to as being a pansy - not being able to control your arm when you throw because of no feeling.

Geezus Christmas - I swear some of you are so damn stupid you are actually Steeler fans.

Are you referring to the National Title game when he lost the feeling in his shoulder and arm?

Yeah, that's what I refer to as being a pansy - not being able to control your arm when you throw because of no feeling.

Geezus Christmas - I swear some of you are so damn stupid you are actually Steeler fans.

come on now. that was a half-hearted attempt at humor. lighten up. but seriously, i just don't like these undersized qb's in todays game. i know you'll mention brees and that's the exception. if he's going 'numb' after that hit, how do you think he'll fare in the nfl? btw, he should have never made it to the title game with the bonehead tossing it out-of-bounds with no time left on the clock. talk about a gift.

Not sure if peeps have seen this, my question is so when are we going to add a play maker WR that stretches the field..

"Eric has a mangina"

2010 NFL Draft: Burnt Orange to Brown? McCoy Ideal QB for Holmgren

by Brett Stephen Written on March 23, 2010 Scott Boehm/Getty Images Mike Holmgren is a quarterback guru. He knows quarterbacks and he knows what he likes.

Holmgren’s ideal quarterback is in Seattle in the form of Matt Hasselbeck and there is no doubt the Browns' new President will do his best to replicate the offense and personnel he put together in the Emerald City.

While there have been rumors about the Browns having interest in Notre Dame quarterback Jimmy Clausen, Holmgren has made it pretty clear these are only rumors and that he has very little interest in making that move in the upcoming NFL draft.

Looking at the quarterbacks in the draft, there is only one guy that fits the Hasselbeck mold—Colt McCoy.

The offense run in Austin at the University of Texas is very similar (from a passing standpoint) to what Holmgren likes to do in the NFL.

His philosophy is to get the ball out of the quarterback’s hands as quickly as possible and get it into the hands of his playmakers.

Short, five-to-10 yard passes (mostly slants) are what make his offense work.

McCoy has proven that he can be successful in this type of offense.

He is accurate on short slants, yet has the arm strength to get the ball down the field if necessary.

Holmgren has made it very clear that he is in the market for a speedy, deep-threat wide receiver that will stretch defenses, so arm strength will be a factor in his quarterback decision.

McCoy has the arm strength and also the agility to move around that Hasselbeck once had.

The Browns have made it pretty obvious with the signing of Jake Delhomme that they are not looking to the draft to find their 2010 starting quarterback. They are looking to draft someone that can be groomed for a year or two under Delhomme and then hopefully become the franchise quarterback that they aimed for when drafting Brady Quinn.

McCoy has added value in the draft in the sense that the Browns would not have to move up to get him. He should be available in the early to mid-second round, where the Browns have a pick.

Prediction: Colt McCoy will be picked by the Browns with the 39th overall pick

Sounds like their expecting another 2nd round pick. Either they will be trading a player, or trading out of the #7 spot. I can't imagine they would want to use their only 2nd rounder on a player who won't play this year. That's Savage sh1t right there.

One thing that concerns me with colt is that injured shoulder.... will it be problematic in the future?

the doctor cleared him to go back in that game, and said there was nothing wrong.

basically he was a wuss and a loser that prefered to sit out the biggest game of his career, "just in case." that kind of player does not win superbowls.

the doctor cleared him to go back in that game, and said there was nothing wrong.

basically he was a wuss and a loser that prefered to sit out the biggest game of his career, "just in case." that kind of player does not win superbowls.

ever had a shoulder stinger? you basically have no feeling or strength in your entire arm. true, their may not be broken bones or a separation but to throw a football you kind of need arm strength. what texas should have done was line up all their receivers behind the qb so when his arm went back to pass and the ball comes out backwards they could have grabbed it and ran like hell. they could have won the game by throwing backward passes instead of putting in their healthy backup qb in and trusting that he could perform better than the starter who couldnt grip the ball.

excuses, excuses, he wussed out. he coulda came back in the game at some point, a stinger isn't that big a deal. hes not a winner, plain and simple, thats why he didn't come back in, cause he was afraid he could hurt it more and jepordize his future in the nfl. not to mention escaping the fact that their team was getting beat, and he wasn't playing all that fantastic, that game would have dropped his draft stock had he stayed in. the doctor wouldn't have cleared him if he was unable to throw the ball. the point of a doctor clearing a player is to tell the choaches that he can go back in and play. if he had no ability to throw the ball the doctors would have said he couldn't play.

don't forget the fact that he consulted with his parents about wether or not to play. you don't consult with your parents, if you get a stinger and can't grip the ball, about wether or not you should go back in. he used it as an excuse to get outta the rest of the game

excuses, excuses, he wussed out. he coulda came back in the game at some point, a stinger isn't that big a deal. hes not a winner, plain and simple, thats why he didn't come back in, cause he was afraid he could hurt it more and jepordize his future in the nfl. not to mention escaping the fact that their team was getting beat, and he wasn't playing all that fantastic, that game would have dropped his draft stock had he stayed in. the doctor wouldn't have cleared him if he was unable to throw the ball. the point of a doctor clearing a player is to tell the choaches that he can go back in and play. if he had no ability to throw the ball the doctors would have said he couldn't play.

don't forget the fact that he consulted with his parents about wether or not to play. you don't consult with your parents, if you get a stinger and can't grip the ball, about wether or not you should go back in. he used it as an excuse to get outta the rest of the game

Get your facts straight,

MACK BROWN decided that there was NO WAY this kid was going to play if the doctor cleared him or not. Colt and his Dad wanted Colt to return to the game. I've seen Colt take far worse hits than that one.

This wasn't a simple stinger that was "no big deal". He basically shocked all of his brachial plexus and nerve roots with a direct hit with the crown of the helmet to the outside of the deltoid. It happened right in front of me. He couldn't grip a football and throw five yards at that point.

If his nfl career was his biggest concern why didnt he leave after his junior year when he would have been the 2 nd or 3 rd qb picked. no instead he came back to try to help his team win a national championship. If you wanna believe that a young man would fake an injury in a game that he had prepared his whole life to be in go right ahead. But I think your wrong.

What's the difference between he and Drew Brees coming out? Short, not a great arm, deadly accurate, played in a shotgun spread in college, mobile in the pocket. Great college QB who really came into his own as a junior, I would love to take a chance on him in round 2.

First of all, stingers are a big deal. Any type of nerve damage is a "big deal", especially damage that is done that affects the spine.

Secondly, it's even more of a big deal to a QB. The stinger affects the arm of a quarterback. The quarterback's job is to throw with the aforementioned arm. If the arm is numb, there will be no more throwing.

Thirdly, and most importantly, Mack Brown wouldn't allow Colt McCoy to go in, no matter how much McCoy and McCoy's father protested. Brown knew that there was no reason to risk the health of McCoy, and wouldn't let him back in.

He didn't consult with his parents about whether or not he should play. It was more of the fact that McCoy's father saw his son take a gigantic hit in the National Championship game, lay on the turf for a bit, and then get up with his arm hanging limp at his side. If I was McCoy's father, I would have jumped onto the field and ran straight to him. I think it was more that they were looking out for their child's safety and wellbeing.

With all that said, I really hope we don't draft McCoy. I like the kid, and he could have a good NFL career, but I just don't know about him in Cleveland. I just don't like when someone is blatantly hated for unjustified reasons.

I take it back what I said earlier... you have know earned the title of biggest jag-off here.....

This shows me clearly you have ZERO clue to what a stinger does.... and proves that you probably never played the game.

Just another fat-azz couch potato calling the shots from the living room with no facts to back it up...

And before you try, no, I am not a Texas fan.

All you had to do was watch his interview after that game to know that he would've done anything to play in that game.

I don't question McCoy's accuracy, leadership, mobility, or intangibles.

I question his size and arm strength.

I like him a lot but not enough to use a high second rounder on him. Maybe a mid-second if we trade up from the third.

All you had to do was watch his interview after that game to know that he would've done anything to play in that game.

I don't question McCoy's accuracy, leadership, mobility, or intangibles.

I question his size and arm strength.

I like him a lot but not enough to use a high second rounder on him. Maybe a mid-second if we trade up from the third.

I'm not too worried about his arm strength. I've seen him throw some out routes that got there pretty quick. He has a quicker release than Clausen. Also, his deep ballls don't hang up there as long as Clausen's do. I think Clausen gets more attention because of his gawdy numbers that are sort of misleading thanks to Wiess's safe/yac system. Colt is a better QB and I've seen him make every throw on the field with good zip and a quick release. I would be happy with Colt in the 2nd if we can pick up another 2nd rounder. I think if Berry is gone at 7, we'll trade out of the top 10 and get Haden, Thomas, or Mays a little later in the 1st while picking up another 2nd rounder. That is, if we don't trade another player before then for a 2nd rounder.

I really think the Browns are drooling over the possibility of having a 1st, two 2nds, and three 3rds in this deep draft. I don't know how they can keep from dealing another player before draft day.

I take it back what I said earlier... you have know earned the title of biggest jag-off here.....

This shows me clearly you have ZERO clue to what a stinger does.... and proves that you probably never played the game.

Just another fat-azz couch potato calling the shots from the living room with no facts to back it up...

hah, looks like i hurt your feelings. cry it off pudge, you'll feel better in no time

not to mention this is just absolutely wrong. I have no idea where you heard this (probably just your opinion being thrown up as fact.

http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/ar...y----again.html

Direct quote from the guy who treated Colt saying "we couldn't clear him to do it (play)". Probably should get your shit straight before you just look like an idiot.

Insert now, know is the same as no. Sorry I see alot of people doing that and just wanted to point it out.

I'm not too worried about his arm strength. I've seen him throw some out routes that got there pretty quick. He has a quicker release than Clausen. Also, his deep ballls don't hang up there as long as Clausen's do. I think Clausen gets more attention because of his gawdy numbers that are sort of misleading thanks to Wiess's safe/yac system. Colt is a better QB and I've seen him make every throw on the field with good zip and a quick release. I would be happy with Colt in the 2nd if we can pick up another 2nd rounder. I think if Berry is gone at 7, we'll trade out of the top 10 and get Haden, Thomas, or Mays a little later in the 1st while picking up another 2nd rounder. That is, if we don't trade another player before then for a 2nd rounder.

I really think the Browns are drooling over the possibility of having a 1st, two 2nds, and three 3rds in this deep draft. I don't know how they can keep from dealing another player before draft day.

You can't beat having a ton of flexibility on draft day. I hate to overemphasize it but drafts with 12 picks can go a long way to defining a decade for a franchise.

to add to what i've said cause I posted in a hurry, I'd agree Colt may not be NFL yet. As for Tebow and Colt though, I've learned to never rule out a player who is used to and expects winning. And like I've said before, I trust Holmgren to draft a QB. No matter who it is, i'll trust that he knows what to expect.

but why bitch and cry about a qb, who in his biggest game, threw in the towel. and YES he did consult with his father. at that point in the game his injury was bigger than the game itself, close-ups of his family, his dad going down to the locker room etc. etc. get us a guy who's 6' 6" weighs over 230 lbs, and has a cannon for an arm. hey maybe this could be the guy: TONY PIKE! screw mccoy and tebow.

but why bitch and cry about a qb, who in his biggest game, threw in the towel. and YES he did consult with his father. at that point in the game his injury was bigger than the game itself, close-ups of his family, his dad going down to the locker room etc. etc. get us a guy who's 6' 6" weighs over 230 lbs, and has a cannon for an arm. hey maybe this could be the guy: TONY PIKE! screw mccoy and tebow.

WRONG.

Spoken like someone who doesn't have the first clue about Colt McCoy or what he's been able to do in his career. You obviously aren't paying attention. McCoy AND his Dad wanted him to go back in. Mack Brown said he wasn't putting him back in no matter what. There's no wussing out here. It would make no sense anyway. The kid grew up dreaming of that game. He stayed an extra year giving up millions of dollars for a chance to play in that game.

Archived