THE BROWNS BOARD

Chris Gocong rumors?

WRREBEL

Has anyone heard of this pile of dung?

There have been many rumblings about Chris Gocong's future with the Eagles. 2009 was prospectively a make or break year for the young linebacker and he never really got going.

Nonetheless, the Eagles have good reason to concern over linebacker and defensive end depth.

There is a market for Gocong and the rumor is that the Browns are potential suitors. Mangini was reportedly targeting him in the draft and Tom Heckert (now with the Browns) was the man responsible for landing him in Philadelphia.

The Browns have more 2010 draft picks than a little bit to use for trade bait. Still, it's hard to imagine that the Eagles part ways with Gocong at this point (who is officially listed as LB/DE), but they just might.

There was speculation that the Eagles might not even tender Gocong. But they did tender him at the third round level, which may be their bottom line asking price considering the lack of defensive depth.

In 2008, Gocong looked like he was ready to step up. He played the run extremely well and did fairly well in coverage. He also showed flashes of great pass rushing ability.

In 2009, Gocong appeared unable to repeat his past performance. That combined with nagging injuries eventually gave way for rookie Moise Fokou's NFL debut at Gocong's SAM position.

One remaining consideration is Gocong's ability to get pressure on the quarterback as a slightly undersized, but natural defensive end.

It can be difficult for a collegiate defensive end to convert to linebacker, and Gocong has had his setbacks. It's even more difficult to convert to a '4-3' linebacker who figures into the coverage scheme more than a '3-4' pass rushing linebacker.

I could see the Eagles continuing their rotational practices on defense by using Gocong as a third-down left defensive end as they formerly used Chris Clemons. Then Darryl Tapp could shift to the interior for Mike Patterson as did the recently released Darren Howard.

The concept of moving Gocong to the left end in the third-down nickel-package, does not restrict his ability to start at the SAM position in the 4-3 package. The SAM is off the field in the nickel and could slide up and over with his hand in the dirt on third and long (an excellent way to get good use out of a tweener in a 4-3 defense).

Still, how interested are the Browns?

We could see action on 'Gocong to the Browns' during the draft if a linebacker that the Eagles want is available in the fourth round when the Browns are up, or likewise if the Browns are unhappy with their available prospects in the third round.

If the trade rumors are true and I believe they are, I think they will be tabled if the Browns are unwilling to part with an early third round pick. But on draft day, strategies can change as targeted players are selected and the draft boards shift.

In normal circumstances, I couldn't see the Eagles trading Gocong for less than their target draft value (probably a third), but if a player they have rated as an early third round talent (like AJ Edds from Iowa perhaps) slips into the early fourth round, the Eagles could pull the trigger—essentially getting the value of an early third round prospect just the same.

I am confident that this exchange of ideas (among others) between Reid and Mangini was real, but we'll have to wait and see what happens if anything at all. The Eagles could use Gocong in a variety of ways, although he would seem to be better suited in a 3-4 scheme.

Coach Eric Mangini said at NFL owners meetings this morning that the trade of linebacker Kamerion Wimbley to Oakland for a third-round pick was partly done to create an opportunity for another trade.

"It's not that we didn't like Kam or didn't think he was doing good things," Mangini said. "It's just that having that pick (No. 75 overall) allows us to have just some more versatility.

"It's difficult to part with a character guy (like Wimbley). I really like Kam. I really do. It wasn't a function of wanting to move him. It was more of a function of where do we have depth? Where can we trade to give us some more ability to address other areas?"

The trade of Wimbley gave the Browns five selections in the first 87 picks. They also own the Jets' third-round pick, plus their own in the first three rounds.

"A little bit of this was done in anticipation of being able to get some other things done that will involve draft picks," Mangini said.

It's possible the Browns could use one of their extra picks in trading for, or signing, a restricted free agent that requires draft-choice compensation.

Mangini said the club will revisit these trade talks next week.

"Until it's done, you can't guarantee it," he said. "But it gives us flexibility if we want to do that. If not, then you get another third-round draft pick, which is really a good spot to draft, whether we want to address the secondary or someplace else."

I don't know Gocong from King Kong, but if the coach wants him and the GM wants him, it sounds like an effort will be made to secure his services.

Now we will find out if we can.

I thought Gocong was a good choice about three years ago at the two three pick..

Alll he does is be around the ball

and make tackles

so he would be a good addition since we are still about forty players shy of talent thanks to Sewage

Why Philadelphia Eagles' Linebacker Chris Gocong Might Be a Cleveland Brown Soon

by Daniel Wolf Written on March 31, 2010

The Cleveland Browns have a need at outside linebacker with the sudden trade of Kamerion Wimbley to the Oakland Raiders several weeks ago, and the Eagles' Chris Gocong is the perfect replacement in more ways than one.

Gocong was drafted by the Eagles in the third round of the 2006 NFL Draft, but many wondered why the Eagles would pick a player who is a better fit for a 3-4 defense rather than the 4-3 defense that the Eagles run.

Despite those questions, Gocong has been productive in his four-year career recording 169 total tackles, four sacks, and one forced fumble. He has also made 35 career starts.

Even though Gocong has just signed his tender contract with the Eagles for one-year and $1.1 million, he is still rumored to be involved in trade talks between the Browns and Eagles according to ESPN, NBC Sports, and cleveland.com.

The following are reasons that Gocong could still be traded and wearing an orange helmet for the 2010 season.

Head Coach Eric Mangini Coveted Gocong Back in 2006.

When Mangini was with the Jets, he made it quite clear to the media at that time he really liked Gocong's potential in a 3-4 defense as a pass rushing linebacker.

Unfortunately, the Eagles picked Gocong in the third round at pick No. 71 just before Mangini and the Jets picked at No. 76.

Former Eagles General Manager Tom Heckert is Now the Browns' GM

Heckert was promoted to GM by the Eagles in January of 2006, and he picked Gocong in his first draft.

The ties between Heckert and Gocong may be strong enough for the Browns GM to pull the trigger on a trade to get his former player reunited with him back in Cleveland.

Gocong is No Longer a Restricted Free Agent

Since Gocong signed his RFA tender on March 30, he no longer has a draft pick attached to him if the Browns wanted to try and pursue him.

The Browns may be able to swing a deal where they can give up one of their fifth round picks for Gocong, which is a great value for a possible starting outside linebacker.

Also, since his contract is only for one-year and $1.1 million, he is relatively cheap to bring on board for a year to see if he can produce.

Gocong is a Better Option at Starting Outside Linebacker Than David Bowens

This is not a knock against Bowens, who really shined as the leader of the defense in 2009 when he had to move to inside linebacker due to injuries of other players, but Bowens does not have a quick first step as a pass rusher like he used to have.

Plus, Bowens may be better served as an inside linebacker in 2010 rather than a pass rusher.

In conclusion, Gocong may not the the superstar answer as a pass rusher that the Browns really need, but Wimbley wasn't that either, and Gocong is a safer and better addition for a fifth round pick than putting faith into a late round rookie who may not become more than a special teams player anyway.

This deal may never go down, but if all the reported trade talks are true, then don't be surprised if the Browns swing this deal to help their linebacking corps.

Maybe this could be a draft day deal where the eagles send Gocong, Sheldon Brown, pick 24 and 55 for our 7th pick. Maybe even there third next year I dont no how the point system would work out for this but getting a starting OLB, and CB and still maybe get Earl Thomas or Taylor Mays at 24 sounds like a good deal to me. Just a thought since Brown wants traded and Gocong doesnt fit in their defense. The Eagles are in need of a safety, If Berry falls to 7 this might be a possibility. Would you rather have Berry or trade with Philly?

Maybe this could be a draft day deal where the eagles send Gocong, Sheldon Brown, pick 24 and 55 for our 7th pick. Maybe even there third next year I dont no how the point system would work out for this but getting a starting OLB, and CB and still maybe get Earl Thomas or Taylor Mays at 24 sounds like a good deal to me. Just a thought since Brown wants traded and Gocong doesnt fit in their defense. The Eagles are in need of a safety, If Berry falls to 7 this might be a possibility. Would you rather have Berry or trade with Philly?

Seems like us getting rooked to me. Sheldon Brown....isn't he 32 years old??

That trade would never....or should I say better not happen.

If we want Gocong, just go after him.

Seems like us getting rooked to me. Sheldon Brown....isn't he 32 years old??

That trade would never....or should I say better not happen.

If we want Gocong, just go after him.

a 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 2 starters for one pick and were getting rooked? Would you rather have say Earl Thomas, Tebow (since you love him), John Jerry or whoever you want in the 3rd plus Gocong and Brown...... Or just one pick, seems like a no brainer to me, but your right it would probably never happen but I wish it would

Tennessee safety Eric Berry, considered the top defensive back in next month's NFL draft, has scheduled formal visits with the Kansas City Chiefs, Washington Redskins, Philadelphia Eagles and Tampa Bay Buccaneers, a source with knowledge of the situation said Tuesday.

A source told NFL.com's Frank Tadych that Berry also will visit with the Cleveland Browns on April 7. According to Tadych's source, Berry visited with the Chiefs on Tuesday, then is scheduled to see the Redskins (Wednesday), Eagles (April 6) and Bucs (April 11).

The Eagles are the only team in that group without a top-five pick..

Hey maybe I'm on to something here

a 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 2 starters for one pick and were getting rooked? Would you rather have say Earl Thomas, Tebow (since you love him), John Jerry or whoever you want in the 3rd plus Gocong and Brown...... Or just one pick, seems like a no brainer to me, but your right it would probably never happen but I wish it would

Aging corners don't excite me all that much.

I see it as losing 17 draft slots to pick up a 2nd rounder and a player who we can probably already get for a 5th rounder.

I don't think that is enough value.

Aging corners don't excite me all that much.

I see it as losing 17 draft slots to pick up a 2nd rounder and a player who we can probably already get for a 5th rounder.

I don't think that is enough value.

Well hell If thats not enough value Im all for getting some more....lol I'd be estatic with what I said but if we could get more then hell yea

Just looked it up, the Eagles 1st. 2nd. 3rd. rd. picks would be about 1300 points our 7th is worth 1500 points. A mid 3rd rounder is worth 200 points so we would be accepting Gocong and Brown for the value of a mid third. Maybe thats a little steep maybe not, I dont no it seems pretty fare

Well hell If thats not enough value Im all for getting some more....lol I'd be estatic with what I said but if we could get more then hell yea

Just looked it up, the Eagles 1st. 2nd. 3rd. rd. picks would be about 1300 points our 7th is worth 1500 points. A mid 3rd rounder is worth 200 points so we would be accepting Gocong and Brown for the value of a mid third. Maybe thats a little steep maybe not, I dont no it seems pretty fare

Thanks for looking all that up....I suppose it could work....I think I would rather draft Haden or Berry, trade for Gocong....the word is a 5th could get that done....

We already have a ton of picks. We are looking to trade up if anything....not back down...we don't want to go in to camp with 12 drafted rookies.

My thinking is we are going to trade back in the the 2nd round, or even lower 1st round...our 2nd and a 3rd would get that done, then trade a 3rd and a 4th to bet back in to round two.

I could see us picking at #7....then again at say #26....then again say #55...then have one 3rd round pick....whichever didn't get traded......then sit out the 4th round.....unless we trade all of the 5th rounders to get back up there somewhere.

We do have a lot of options. Remember....quality is the key. Everybody we draft isn't going to be great, so we best look to get maybe just a couple fewer to help the odds the ones we get , hit.

With all we have this draft, I will jump through hoops if 5 years from now we have 3 NFL solid starting players and maybe 1 solid back-up/ST guy..

Drafts are full of hope, but the reality is most offer only 1 HOF type player and only a handful of guys who play to a pro bowl level over multiple years. Spread that over 32 teams and you get the picture.

I thought Gocong was a good choice about three years ago at the two three pick..

Alll he does is be around the ball

and make tackles

so he would be a good addition since we are still about forty players shy of talent thanks to Sewage

well this is a mute point gocong signed the eagles again

well this is a mute point gocong signed the eagles again

Even though Gocong has just signed his tender contract with the Eagles for one-year and $1.1 million, he is still rumored to be involved in trade talks between the Browns and Eagles according to ESPN, NBC Sports, and cleveland.com.

They can still trade him Rich.

I would say watch what happens with Gocong the two days prior to the draft (that's when the RFA period ends so the only way to get him would be via trade).

He has signed his tender....which is his contract. The free agent period for him is already over. The only way he goes anywhere is if the eagles trade him.

Any player who doesn't sign the offer is free up until the time you mention. if they don't sign with anybody, they are retained by the team with the tender rights and the player plays the year, unsigned at the tender amount. At seasons end, they become a unrestricted FA.

Philly has plenty of motivation to just trade the guy just like we will have plenty of motivation to trade Jackson if a long term deal can't be worked out over the next several weeks.

• 4 weeks later...
hi guys,..

i am new in this forum,..

i found that it is very helpful for me because it contains very informative posts and sharings,..thanks

welcome to the board! not sure why you chose to necro a thread to introduce yourself, but all the same welcome!

Archived