THE BROWNS BOARD

Sleeper fantasy picks

Does Michael Brantley count?

No. A sleeper is someone who had a decent 2009 (maybe played 20-30 games at the end of the year) that is going to have a break out year. Like Kyle Blanks, Adam Moore, Austin Jackson, David Freese or Brian Matusz.

I think Brantley has a year to go. Maybe?

I'd say most guys on the Rangers....but the fantasy world always seems to hype them up too much so they go too early.

Other than that....I really only know about the young guys on the Tribe.

Check out Kyle Blanks out on mlb.com. He's 6'7 270. He's a beast. He had 10 jacks in 150 AB as a Rookie.

Yeah, I actually saw that guy a couple times in Arlington. Didn't exactly get a good read on him, but the bigness was impressive.

One of those games was actually one of the most boring games I've ever seen in any sport. Chad Gaudin (a quick google image search shows why this is interesting) 1-hit the Rangers. Only the hit was in the first inning, so there was no drama or excitement about the no-hitter possibility. Just a colossally boring game between two boring teams. A lot of What a horrible waste of inter-league play.

Not that that has anything to do with sleepers.

I don't want to give away my brilliant strategies that led my to 13th place last year, but I will say to check out Fangraphs.com. Free projections from CHONE and Bill James.

Yeah, I actually saw that guy a couple times in Arlington. Didn't exactly get a good read on him, but the bigness was impressive.

One of those games was actually one of the most boring games I've ever seen in any sport. Chad Gaudin (a quick google image search shows why this is interesting) 1-hit the Rangers. Only the hit was in the first inning, so there was no drama or excitement about the no-hitter possibility. Just a colossally boring game between two boring teams. A lot of What a horrible waste of inter-league play.

Not that that has anything to do with sleepers.

I don't want to give away my brilliant strategies that led my to 13th place last year, but I will say to check out Fangraphs.com. Free projections from CHONE and Bill James.

Well since I am not in a keeper league with you here are some to check out. Jeremy Hellickson, Adam Moore, Desmond Jennings, Brayan Pena, and this guy, Ian Desmond. Remember that name Ian Desmond. A 5 tool player at SHORT. Unheard of. The next Jeter.

Are we thinking of the same Brayan Pena? I watched him a few time for the Royals last year and he looked about as mediocre as they come. And then they brought in Jason Kendall as an upgrade.

Haven't heard of most of those other guys. I hope Ian Desmond lives up to the hype though, and before Ryan Zimmerman fills Boston's third base hole. Could be a nice core in a couple years.

Are we thinking of the same Brayan Pena? I watched him a few time for the Royals last year and he looked about as mediocre as they come. And then they brought in Jason Kendall as an upgrade.

Haven't heard of most of those other guys. I hope Ian Desmond lives up to the hype though, and before Ryan Zimmerman fills Boston's third base hole. Could be a nice core in a couple years.

Yea same Pena. 6 HR's, 18 RBI's, .273 BA and .442 slugging % in 165 AB, hardly mediocre. His defense is the problem, that is why they brought in Kendall.

I just read that Desmond won the starting SS position.

• 2 weeks later...
Touche. Although the 25 homers in his minor league career (Lou Marson had 27 in about 600 fewer ABs) aren't quite as impressive.

And I'd stay away from any of Dayton Moore's guys just as a rule of thumb.

3 of my picks this year are lighting it up so far. Ian Desmond, Cliff Pennington, and Brian Matusz. I know it's early, but in our keeper league when people were picking 35 year old Juan Pierre, I was taking a Jeremy Helickson.

I need help on my fantasy baseball team, i missed the draft and for some reason asa keeper they gave me Brian Roberts. while and you would of thought that i would be able to keep Tim Lincecum. Just so happens the league manager drafted him first. lol! Now I need to kick his arse in this league.

I just picked up Cliff Pennington, if you have anymore good names bring em on. Im all ears.

Dude. I drafted Cliff Pennington with my second to last pick. You know what is really good and you know why he will be an all-star, look at his walks. Rare for a 2nd year Rookie.

For non-keeper leagues, Kyle Blanks, David Freese, Ian Desmond, Austin Jackson and Brian Matusz

For keeper leagues. Same 5, plus Desmond Jennings, Jeremy Helickson, Madison Bumgarner, Adam Moore.

Desmond Jennings and Ian Desmond being at the VERY top of the list. They are saying the Rays are going to trade Carl Crawford if they are not contending because Desmond Jennings is that good. The guy had like a .320 BA, 10 HR, 50 SB, 30 RBI's last year at AAA in only 90 games. Plus people say he's a gold glove canidate. One downfall, he missed 20-30 games in the last 2 years because of injury. Shit that is a risk I am willing to take.

I need help on my fantasy baseball team, i missed the draft and for some reason asa keeper they gave me Brian Roberts. while and you would of thought that i would be able to keep Tim Lincecum. Just so happens the league manager drafted him first. lol! Now I need to kick his arse in this league.

PM me, I spent about 30+ hours this year. In one league, it's a keeper league and has a $2500 pot each year. It's been going since 1995. So I took my time.

Shoot me a message on who is on your team and who you have to start.

Archived