THE BROWNS BOARD

Cleveland Browns coach Eric Mangini says other trades are in the works

TheClevelandSound

Actually if you read the article mangini says they traded those players to acquire the picks we may need to either a) move up in the draft or B ) get a guy we need from another team. Now this doesn't rule out the fact that harrison couldn't be included in a package deal of some sort but it certainly makes it sound like if we were going to trade him for a 3rd or some other pick we already would have. Instead we traded wimbley because either a) they like our depth at olb better then our depth at runningback (doubt it) B )no teams were interested or did not offer a high enough pick or c) they didn't want to trade the one guy that could actually score td's for us other then cribbs. Didn't need to be an insider to solve that puzzle

I did read the article, and I did read that. What I didn't see, however, was Mangini saying that we are done trading for picks. He certainly said that there's a possibility we'll go after some free agents, but he never said explicitly that we weren't going to keep adding picks.

And, pertaining to your multiple question, I would venture my guess that C would be the least likely reason Holmgren would keep Harrison aboard. Especially during this offseason, when there were quite a few runningbacks with a touchdown scoring tendency that could have been had for cheap.

The most likely reason is probably A, in my book. It's not that they necessarily "like" the quality of players we have at LB, but we certainly have more than enough to move a couple without putting us at a disadvantage.

Although B is certainly a viable option as well. There's no doubt in my mind that Harrison was available to teams, and was inquired about. But I feel that Holmgren and Co. were looking for something in the range of a second/third round pick + player and nobody was willing to offer that.

So, when it comes down to it... you're right, you don't have to be an insider to solve that puzzle. Deductive reasoning sufficed just fine.

Archived