THE BROWNS BOARD

New Overtime Format Approved

kamac19

I think this is B.S. and a cop out. If overtime is important enough to change (and I think it is), why only for the playoffs? Why only if a field goal?

Why not equal time for both teams? Maybe not NCAA type at the 20 yard line, but if some scores, the other team gets a chance, regardless if it is a field goal or touch down.

Here is the funny thing, the team that supposedly got "screwed" by the old rule, the Minnesota Vikings, in the NFC title game last year....they were one of only 4 teams to vote against the rule change.

I noted that too! LOL! You'd think the Saints would have voted against it! :)

This is for the playoffs only - stupid. If they like the rule it should be put in for the whole season. I don't understand the playoff onlny it, evry game matters. I always thought the OT rule was biased to the team that had the luck of the toss. I would change it for all games staright away.

What I thought was interesting is that the vote took place while all the coaches were at a golf outing. Kinda sounds like the owners pulled a fast one. Cool by me, I wish they'd adopt the college overtime rules except either start at the 40-yard line or kickoff. There are so many epic college games because of this format.

What I thought was interesting is that the vote took place while all the coaches were at a golf outing. Kinda sounds like the owners pulled a fast one. Cool by me, I wish they'd adopt the college overtime rules except either start at the 40-yard line or kickoff. There are so many epic college games because of this format.

No way. The College rule sucks swamp water. NONE of those games are epic in my opinion. In fact, they are farcical.

They should just do away with the sudden death, add 15 minutes to the clock and at the end of play the results of the score stand. If it is a playoff game and you are still tied then add another 15 minutes.

Just to clarify....this rule doesn't mean both teams will get the ball. My understanding is that both teams have an "opportunity to possess" the ball. If you win the toss and you fumble on play one and the other team fumbles it back...that's their opportunity. Now both teams have had the opportunity and the next score wins.

No way. The College rule sucks swamp water. NONE of those games are epic in my opinion. In fact, they are farcical.

Thanks for making me pull up dictionary.com to look up farcical, my public school education failed me again. As they say, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, mine is that the college system is fun to watch. We can agree to disagree, that's cool by me.

What is farcical is that those college players play for free(*).

Just to clarify....this rule doesn't mean both teams will get the ball. My understanding is that both teams have an "opportunity to possess" the ball. If you win the toss and you fumble on play one and the other team fumbles it back...that's their opportunity. Now both teams have had the opportunity and the next score wins.

That's a good point. If the first score is a field goal by the team that recieved the ball, they win the game if the other teams has had possession. Thanks for clarifying that.

I think this is B.S. and a cop out. If overtime is important enough to change (and I think it is), why only for the playoffs? Why only if a field goal?

Why not equal time for both teams? Maybe not NCAA type at the 20 yard line, but if some scores, the other team gets a chance, regardless if it is a field goal or touch down.

I didnt read the rule's, but it sounds like your saying if the first team score's a TD in OT then its over? But if they only kick a field goal then you get the ball again? If thats right its gonna have a hugh impact on games, your going to have to make decisions on weather to kick a field goal or go for the touchdown on 4th downs in OT. When you have a Brady, Manning on the other team that could score a TD to end it after you kicked a fieldgoal, ita make you think twice about kicking a field goal

Can someone lay the new rule out on laymans terms for us short bus riders?

A touchdown wins.

If team A kicks a field goal, then team B does also, then it is sudden death thereafter ?

If team A turns the ball over on their first possession to team B who kicks a field goal , then Team B wins?

edit:

Also, what if Team A kicks a field goal and Team B does not score? game over?

or if you win the coin toss and then score a TD on that possession the other team doesn't get the ball either.

if they made it for the whole season it could make a lot of games 4+ hours long. they generally spill over into the next programming every time it goes into OT now. there's a lot of broadcasting politics to consider in any of these possible changes. during the playoffs they usually account for potential marathon games alot more than in the reg season.

Can someone lay the new rule out on laymans terms for us short bus riders?

A touchdown wins.

If team A kicks a field goal, then team B does also, then it is sudden death thereafter ?

If team A turns the ball over on their first possession to team B who kicks a field goal , then Team B wins?

edit:

Also, what if Team A kicks a field goal and Team B does not score? game over?

yes yes yes.

I didnt read the rule's, but it sounds like your saying if the first team score's a TD in OT then its over? But if they only kick a field goal then you get the ball again? If thats right its gonna have a hugh impact on games, your going to have to make decisions on weather to kick a field goal or go for the touchdown on 4th downs in OT. When you have a Brady, Manning on the other team that could score a TD to end it after you kicked a fieldgoal, ita make you think twice about kicking a field goal

new strategies come into play for sure.

this is stupid. NFL rules are getting way too complicated.

Not all that Complicated . OT ... Win Toss Score TD , GAME OVER. Kick FG , other team gets a possesion they score TD GAME Over , stop Them and Game Over . But if a FG by them Team ,its Sudden Death. Just like now ! (only Both teams had a shot) Decent Plan indeed.

Archived