THE BROWNS BOARD

Bet thread

So after all this talk from this board about how this is an unconstitutional power grab, with UNCONSTITUTIONAL written in super-sized font; after all the Michelle Bachman speeches and tea bag rallies; after all the quotes from super-duper Constitutional expert Mark Steyn; not one of you wants to bet me that this health care bill will be struck down in federal court? Really?

Even for a charity like Fisher House or St. Jude's?

Maybe this quote will help entice you: “The notion that a state can just choose to opt out is just preposterous. One is left speechless by the absurdity of it.” - Charles Fried, former Reagan Solicitor General.

...Okay, maybe that didn't help either.

But no takers? Really?

I guess you guys wasted a lot of time making that argument too. None of you seem to believe it. Except when you're running your mouth off.

I believe it was Cindy Lauper who said, "Money changes everything." So true.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So after all this talk from this board about how this is an unconstitutional power grab, with UNCONSTITUTIONAL written in super-sized font; after all the Michelle Bachman speeches and tea bag rallies; after all the quotes from super-duper Constitutional expert Mark Steyn; not one of you wants to bet me that this health care bill will be struck down in federal court? Really?

Maybe this quote will help entice you: “The notion that a state can just choose to opt out is just preposterous. One is left speechless by the absurdity of it.” - Charles Fried, former Reagan Solicitor General.

But no takers? Really?

I guess you guys wasted a lot of time making that argument too. None of you seem to believe it. Except when you're running your mouth off.

you did not seriously think they will put their money where their mouths are.....

you did not seriously think they will put their money where their mouths are.....

See my comment on those who expect the constitution to protect them.

Folks it's rewritten by interpretation every year by a group of appointed idealogues (evil or noble depending on your political affiliation) smaller than the Politburo.

But I doubt theres a single freedom which can't be constitutionally removed.

C'mon guys you think somebody said "hey taking almost all of a citizens income for ourselves has gotta be constitutional" when they slie the income tax into law? Or did it just sneak up on us at the high point?

That said I hope th public mandate stays in, though I wish the penalty for non compliance were stiffer.

WSS

It takes a big man to make net bets.

Maybe we could bet our houses and a million dollars.....lol

It doesn't take a big man at all. Nor is it empty. In fact, we've done it here before. If you lose, you make the online donation, then paste the receipt in here proving you made the donation. Worked perfectly fine before. Ask the guy who did it, or anyone who watched it. It's not even complicated.

Excuses, excuses...

Hey high roller.

Here's one.

Let's say I bet the program costs substantially more than promised in ten years.

You can have the opposite.

Assuming we're still alive (and why not with this new health benefit ;) ) you wanna put up your house and the million dollars?

(That oughta be about $85 after adjusted for 2111 inflation. )

:lol:

WSS

Steve, I probably wouldn't make that bet. There's always a chance that projections or assumptions will be off. But unlike those in here who absolutely knew this was an unconstitutional power grab, I never claimed that ten year projections are rock solid. I've always said they're the best estimate we can make, and that it's non-partisan, and that we don't have a better one.

I don't, however, expect the projections to be off all that much should the entire plan go into effect. So if we could structure the bet to include those types of caveats, I'd be all for it.

But if you and I are doing this in ten years ...holy shit.

I'd also take issue with your earlier post, but really, what's the point? Although I will say that interpreting the Constitution is the judge's job. You speak of it as if it's a horrible thing they're doing.

And the idea that any Constitutional protection could be removed ...huh?

So again, does anyone still think the bill is unconstitutional, and would anyone like to bet me that it is? Because I'm pretty damn sure it says in the Constitution that Congress can make these type of laws.

Steve, I probably wouldn't make that bet. There's always a chance that projections or assumptions will be off. But unlike those in here who absolutely knew this was an unconstitutional power grab, I never claimed that ten year projections are rock solid. I've always said they're the best estimate we can make, and that it's non-partisan, and that we don't have a better one.

I don't, however, expect the projections to be off all that much should the entire plan go into effect. So if we could structure the bet to include those types of caveats, I'd be all for it.

I hope so actually. By then I'll be 67 and you'll be what? 48? I'll be the Democrat demanding higher taxes on you damn kids to pay for my benefits. ;)

I'd also take issue with your earlier post, but really, what's the point? Although I will say that interpreting the Constitution is the judge's job. You speak of it as if it's a horrible thing they're doing.

Only horrible if you're on the wrong side.

Prohibition was OK once.

Hey who'da thunk Eminent Domain would trump the rule against the king's men taking your farm and guns?

So again, does anyone still think the bill is unconstitutional, and would anyone like to bet me that it is? Because I'm pretty damn sure it says in the Constitution that Congress can make these type of laws.

I wouldn't bet either.

WSS

But no takers? Really?

Dude Cindy Lauper? I think The Smiths or even Daryl Hall would of been a better reference here.

really? congress can make a law requiring someone to buy something from a private company? I should think not. Or it would have been tried already by big business.

To play devils advocate here, the IRS is the biggest accounting firm in the world my friend, in terms of private companies.

Excuse, excuses. :rolleyes:

Im not a betting man, but if I was it wouldn't be with you. Because if I lost then I would probably have to make a donation to some group that promotes killing babies.

I pefer ProLife. I know how it feels to lose a child at birth, and I dont understand those who can kill an unborn child.

Anther cowardly bolt from betting me a bushel of tomatoes? Seriously?

Ridiculing others for not taking you up on a money bet, when you probably were

going to donate that money anyways? You have nothing to lose? ROF,L !

However, I KNOW you weren't going to donate a bushel of high quality, homegrown

tomatoes to your local charity.

I reckon you don't care if the folks who benefit from food banks go without healthy, class "AAA"

produce.

Or, man up, and freakin bet me a bushel of tomatoes.

You called us out to bet, and you bailed on my simple bet. Put up or be very afraid of being a big sissy. <_<

Im not a betting man, but if I was it wouldn't be with you. Because if I lost then I would probably have to make a donation to some group that promotes killing babies.

I pefer ProLife. I know how it feels to lose a child at birth, and I dont understand those who can kill an unborn child.

What the....? Right out of left field.

We already said we're playing for Fisher House, or St. Jude's, or you can name another charity we can both agree on if you like. Fisher House is a group that assists wounded veterans and their families. St. Jude's is a children's hospital. We've been pretty clear about that.

You can get bet or not bet, but let's try to not make up bullshit excuses for why you won't so you can make a speech and accuse me of "promoting killing babies."

Lunatic.

Anther cowardly bolt from betting me a bushel of tomatoes? Seriously?

Ridiculing others for not taking you up on a money bet, when you probably were

going to donate that money anyways? You have nothing to lose? ROF,L !

However, I KNOW you weren't going to donate a bushel of high quality, homegrown

tomatoes to your local charity.

I reckon you don't care if the folks who benefit from food banks go without healthy, class "AAA"

produce.

Or, man up, and freakin bet me a bushel of tomatoes.

You called us out to bet, and you bailed on my simple bet. Put up or be very afraid of being a big sissy. <_<

Cal, this is mind-numbingly stupid. I can't confirm that you have given a bushel of tomatoes. Nor do I grow bushels of tomatoes to give. And it wouldn't make much sense for me to go buy a bunch of tomatoes and then give them to a local food bank. I'd just give them the money and they can buy whatever food they want with it.

This is how you dodged the last bet. And now you're using this ridiculous excuse to dodge this one. As if the only currency in the world we could ever agree to use is bushels of tomatoes.

If $100 is too much for you, we can do it for $5. Or whatever you think a bushel of tomatoes is worth. I don't care.

But you don't get to dodge the bet (again) and then accuse me of dodging a bet that I offered to make in the first place. Everyone who is reading this can tell you're being ridiculous. It's not just me.

Name your price. Diehard manned up, and paid up like a man when he lost. Then he posted his receipt to me so I could tell he didn't welch.

Will you do the same? I won't hold my breath.

Oh, Steve. If you haven't mellowed by now, you're not going to, brother.

Hey in high school I was pretty far left.

We made up a little cadre called Students for Constructive Social Reform.

Even had a booth at some silly gathering at a liberal church. Two booths down from the SDS!!

B)

WSS

Of course you were! You don't get the way you are by seeing your political hopes and dreams come true.

Pretty close to the truth Heck.

And partly realizing what a bunch of choads some of these guys actually are.

Hey, we both look at our paychecks and go, "Holy shit!" Just for different reasons.

Could be. I'm truly amazed that I earn slightly over the median for doing a job I actually enjoy.

Just like the lady in Raising Arizona says, "Government sure takes a bite, don't she?""

And as a self employed guy I gotta write a check for it all instead of just never seeing it.

WSS

I don't know which is worse, watching them take it chunk by chunk, or paying for it like you do. Personally, one reforms I'd like to see is have the government print not just what is coming out of your check for SS and Medicare, but also for the other stuff: defense, education, environment, housing, etc. People would have a much better idea where their money goes, and what needs to be cut.

Instead of right now, where the answer you usually get is "welfare" and "foreign aid." Especially from you guys.

As for the choads ...you have no idea.

I don't know which is worse, watching them take it chunk by chunk, or paying for it like you do. Personally, one reforms I'd like to see is have the government print not just what is coming out of your check for SS and Medicare, but also for the other stuff: defense, education, environment, housing, etc. People would have a much better idea where their money goes, and what needs to be cut.

Instead of right now, where the answer you usually get is "welfare" and "foreign aid." Especially from you guys.

As for the choads ...you have no idea.

Me?

I've always said welfare is a minor cost. I just don't like the societal damage it seems to do.

Plus it pisses me off to see truly needy people short changed as dirtbags crowd the trough.

And there are too many hands out along the welfare dollar beltline and too many poitical landmines along the road to fixing it.

WSS

Cal, this is mind-numbingly stupid. I can't confirm that you have given a bushel of tomatoes. Nor do I grow bushels of tomatoes to give. And it wouldn't make much sense for me to go buy a bunch of tomatoes and then give them to a local food bank. I'd just give them the money and they can buy whatever food they want with it.

yes, you can. I can get a receipt, and post it on this board. I can give you their phone number and address.

I ALREADY said, I would take Steve with me, and he can FILM it with my very cool camcorder. And YOU talk about T

having bullshit EXCUSES? Gosh, you don't grow tomatoes to give? Well, I have been unemployed for a year and a half,

numbnuts. It's easy to just write a freakin check. it's a little more genuine, to go buy the tomatoes for them,

and donate them. I'm not betting the food bank, I'm betting YOU. They don't give money to people for food.

A little legwork too much for you, Heck? Not all that up to paying up on a bet that isn't just writing a check you are probably going to write anyways?

I can't go buy the money, Heck, but you CAN buy the tomatoes. This fear you have of tomato donating

can probably be resolved by a little courage. @@

This is how you dodged the last bet. And now you're using this ridiculous excuse to dodge this one. As if the only currency in the world we could ever agree to use is bushels of tomatoes.

YOU ARE THE ONE who wanted to bet "name the price and charity and you're on"

So, I NAMED THE PRICE AND THE CHARITY. You don't get to control the price and charity? TOO BAD.

You just cried about not having tomatoes. I am not working professionally for a year and a half.

I think my resume is pretty nice, but relatively worthless, what I did has become obsolute around Ohio and a lot of the

country.

If $100 is too much for you, we can do it for $5. Or whatever you think a bushel of tomatoes is worth. I don't care.

If you don't have the tomatoes, and if going out and carrying the heavy, your groin tweaking load of a bushel of tomatoes, we can make it for a peck of tomatoes. Or a couple of big cans of tomato sauce from Sam's Club.

YOU claimed you would accept the price and charity terms, not me.

You don't get to dodge what you asked for, then turn around and cry that a bushel of tomatoes is too rough on you.

Let's just make it two tomatoes, Heck. That should strain your groin, eh?

I just said I can video it, send you a receipt, post a receipt, have witnesses, and you are refusing a bet.

Your bravdo is what is ridiculous. My terms are serious, even though it is pretty funny.

So, I think:

1. Your groin can't take lifting much weight, but a little check is light enough for you....

2. You stand by your money bet, because you were going to send that money anyways, even if nobody

was betting you. You don't "pay" anything for losing.

3. I am calling you out on your dare. And you look mightly silly frantically claiming "fowl"

and squawking like a frightened chicken. I'm sorry, if/when you would LOSE the bet, I don't live

close enough to come carry the bushel of tomatoes for you so you won't strain anything important.

Your call. You asked, I answered, and now you run and make up deepsheet excuses.

Live by the sword, die by the sword.

What goes around comes around.

A stitch in time save... eh, you know what I mean.

Put up, or stop whining like a billy goat caught in the fence. <_<

I'm not on my high horse about anything. I just get a little tired of listening to all the screeching you guys are doing about the bill, like that it's UNCONSTITUTIONAL. It isn't unconstitutional.

So I challenged anyone who made those claims - and there were a bunch of you - to back it up. Yes, let's see how certain you are of that thing you just wrote in giant font with exclamation points!

Turns out nobody is that certain. They were just running their mouth off, not only about this, but pretty much everything else.

One of these days you're all going to calm down and realize that none of the predictions about our ruin or how liberals want to control every aspect of your lives had even the tiniest hint of truth to them. It's just screeching from people who are having a really tough time figuring out what's really going on.

And Cal, if you haven't worked for 18 months, I'm not going to ask you to give anything to charity. You keep those tomatoes for you and yours. Make a nice pasta dish. I'll even send you a good recipe.

We'll make it a gentlemen's bet. I bet you that the health care law that just passed will not be deemed unconstitutional and will remain the law of the land.

come on Heck.... seriously constitutional law....... pretty heavy reading for anyone...... cal and company are not interested in studying anything objectively so constitutional law is WAY beyond them.

All they want to do is post op-ed pieces and parrot what their party politics are pushing toward the sheep.

I once thought you could actually reason and have a real discussion on the merits of each respective position........ but that is not possible.

Archived