THE BROWNS BOARD

Calif. voters could legalize pot in Nov. election

Now I smoke a joint about once a year, used to be a daily smoker years ago. I have never seen an issue where so many people agree. This should be legalized and taxed. This should help California with their debt.

My question is, will employers be able to test for it? I have never heard of a very select instances (habitual offenders) that test for alcohol.

SACRAMENTO, Calif. – When California voters head to the polls in November, they will decide whether the state will make history again — this time by legalizing the recreational use of marijuana for adults.

The state was the first to legalize medicinal marijuana use, with voters passing it in 1996. Since then, 14 states have followed California's lead, even though marijuana remains illegal under federal law.

"This is a watershed moment in the decades-long struggle to end failed marijuana prohibition in this country," said Stephen Gutwillig, California director for the Drug Policy Alliance. "We really can't overstate the significance of Californians being the first to have the opportunity to end this public policy disaster."

California is not alone in the push to expand legal use of marijuana. Legislators in Rhode Island, another state hit hard by the economic downturn, are considering a plan to decriminalize possession of an ounce or less by anyone 18 or older.

A proposal to legalize the sale and use of marijuana in Washington was recently defeated in that state's legislature, though lawmakers there did expand the pool of medical professionals that could prescribe the drug for medicinal use.

And a group in Nevada is pushing an initiative that marks the state's fourth attempt in a decade to legalize the drug.

The California secretary of state's office certified the initiative for the general election ballot Wednesday after it was determined that supporters had gathered enough valid signatures.

The initiative would allow those 21 years and older to possess up to one ounce of marijuana, enough to roll dozens of marijuana cigarettes. Residents also could grow their own crop of the plant in gardens measuring up to 25 square feet.

The proposal would ban users from ingesting marijuana in public or smoking it while minors are present. It also would make it illegal to possess the drug on school grounds or drive while under its influence.

Local governments would decide whether to permit and tax marijuana sales.

Proponents of the measure say legalizing marijuana could save the state $200 million a year by reducing public safety costs. At the same time, it could generate tax revenue for local governments.

A Field Poll taken in April found a slim majority of California voters supported legalizing and taxing marijuana to help bridge the state budget deficit.

Those who grow and sell it illegally fear legalization would drive down the price and force them to compete against corporate marijuana cultivators.

Other opponents view marijuana as a "gateway drug" that, when used by young people, could lead them to try other, harder drugs. They worry that legalization would persuade more people to try it, worsening the nation's drug culture.

"We are quite concerned that by legalizing marijuana, it will definitely lower the perception of risk, and we will see youth use go through the roof," said Aimee Hendle, a spokeswoman for Californians for Drug Free Youth.

The initiative is the second proposal to qualify for the November ballot. The other is an $11.1 billion water bond measure championed by Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger and the state Legislature.

I agree, K. Enough of this cr@p. Booze is legan and, IMHO, far more dangerous than a little weed.

It is all politics - not medical - IMHO.

Let's regulate and tax.

Weed became illegal because of the timber industry. The only thing that grows faster on the planet then hemp is seaweed. Even if anything, with everyone going green, why wouldn't you want a crop like hemp?

I see this as a new way the state can make some big $$$

Just look at alcohol and all of the problems it can cause, and how the states have turned the dui into a multi billion dollar business. If they can prove toxicity levels and test drivers they will win two fold in creating another new business.

Just think politicians in california will be able to remain in office even if they are unqualified to lead because the whole state will be stoned and wont be able to use good judgement because their brains will be fried.

Crowd Subduing Drugs in your future

and-this-is-your-brain-on-drugs.jpg

I see this as a new way the state can make some big $$$

Just look at alcohol and all of the problems it can cause, and how the states have turned the dui into a multi billion dollar business. If they can prove toxicity levels and test drivers they will win two fold in creating another new business.

Just think politicians in california will be able to remain in office even if they are unqualified to lead because the whole state will be stoned and wont be able to use good judgement because their brains will be fried.

T, people can fully function on weed. Lawyers, doctors, professors, all have fought for legalization, not just the pot heads. My judgment was always better on weed then drinking.

That might be a problem testing while driving, weed can stay in your system for up to 60 days. Unless they actually see the smoke there is no way to prove you are high.

p.s. images like that are for acid and mushroom users. When I got high I found all that shit annoying.

Also the whole gateway drug crap. Trust me, alcohol is THE gateway drug.

Alcoholism. That shit will destroy most families. edit

I always liked the dirty harry quote, "A man's got to know his limitations. .... Harry Callahan, Magnum Force".

You can use that for a lot of different things in life. Perhaps our politicians need to be reminded.

I always hated the gateway argument. I would contend that if you polled pot smokers you would find that tobacco is probably the true gateway drug, followed by alcohol and then weed being a distant third. And if you want to get into the "first thing that produces a buzz" argument then it probably goes all the way back to Robo or NyQuill. NyQuill was mine personally (not abusing it mom just gave me alittle too much and the room got 'hazy'). The only reason pot becomes a gateway drug is b/c it is illegal. Consider, the only way that pot acts as a gateway to anything is exposing a person to the ILLEGAL drug culture. Your pot dealer, by natural extension, probably knows where to get coke and the like and boom...now pot as allowed you to enter the gateway of exposure to all sorts of illicit drugs.

I always hated the gateway argument. I would contend that if you polled pot smokers you would find that tobacco is probably the true gateway drug, followed by alcohol and then weed being a distant third. And if you want to get into the "first thing that produces a buzz" argument then it probably goes all the way back to Robo or NyQuill. NyQuill was mine personally (not abusing it mom just gave me alittle too much and the room got 'hazy'). The only reason pot becomes a gateway drug is b/c it is illegal. Consider, the only way that pot acts as a gateway to anything is exposing a person to the ILLEGAL drug culture. Your pot dealer, by natural extension, probably knows where to get coke and the like and boom...now pot as allowed you to enter the gateway of exposure to all sorts of illicit drugs.

IMO it goes back to the shit we feed our kids, but who's counting?

In the article it says private growers can use 25 sq ft of space to grow. That is a lot of weed.

This country is going down the shitter. Legalizing it would generate a lot of revenue. But they would have to change laws. Establish guidlines (age limitations, etc). It would eliminate the illegal pot growers and put the mexicans/columbians out of business as far as pot goes. I'm not against it as long as there are rules and they are STRICTLY enforced.

This country is going down the shitter. Legalizing it would generate a lot of revenue. But they would have to change laws. Establish guidlines (age limitations, etc). It would eliminate the illegal pot growers and put the mexicans/columbians out of business as far as pot goes. I'm not against it as long as there are rules and they are STRICTLY enforced.

Like alcohol, right? Just think how much money would be saved simply by not chasing these guys, bringing them to trial, and setting them up in the local prison for a year or three.

To me, being illegal makes no sense on any level.

PS I do not imbide and really never did. I have enough trouble with draft beer.

Hemp can be used to make plastics, paper, clothing, oil etc. if the goverment don't wont people smoking it thats fine by me, but to ignore what hemp can do for industry and enviroment is wrong. Were paying almost 3 dollars for a gallon of gas, hemp oil would be much cheaper and is much better for enviroment. Were losing 100's of acres of forest every day to make paper products, thee Decleration of Independence was written of hemp paper and hemp grows a million times faster than trees. Were using toxic chemicals and oil to make plastic, henry ford make plastic parts for the first ford car outta hemp. You get the Idea, whats wrong with the Goverment to ignore all the other benefits of Marijuana

Hemp can be used to make plastics, paper, clothing, oil etc. if the goverment don't wont people smoking it thats fine by me, but to ignore what hemp can do for industry and enviroment is wrong. Were paying almost 3 dollars for a gallon of gas, hemp oil would be much cheaper and is much better for enviroment. Were losing 100's of acres of forest every day to make paper products, thee Decleration of Independence was written of hemp paper and hemp grows a million times faster than trees. Were using toxic chemicals and oil to make plastic, henry ford make plastic parts for the first ford car outta hemp. You get the Idea, whats wrong with the Goverment to ignore all the other benefits of Marijuana

Old, archaic thinking. Harry Anslinger had invested heavily in the timber industry to support his newspaper chain and didn’t want to see the development of hemp paper in competition. Plus he hated Mexicans.

The Marijuana Tax Act of 1937

After two years of secret planning, Anslinger brought his plan to Congress — complete with a scrapbook full of sensational Hearst editorials, stories of ax murderers who had supposedly smoked marijuana, and racial slurs.

It was a remarkably short set of hearings.

The one fly in Anslinger’s ointment was the appearance by Dr. William C. Woodward, Legislative Council of the American Medical Association.

Woodward started by slamming Harry Anslinger and the Bureau of Narcotics for distorting earlier AMA statements that had nothing to do with marijuana and making them appear to be AMA endorsement for Anslinger’s view.

He also reproached the legislature and the Bureau for using the term marijuana in the legislation and not publicizing it as a bill about cannabis or hemp. At this point, marijuana (or marihuana) was a sensationalist word used to refer to Mexicans smoking a drug and had not been connected in most people’s minds to the existing cannabis/hemp plant. Thus, many who had legitimate reasons to oppose the bill weren’t even aware of it.

Further more, weed was then classified in Nixon's Comprehensive Drug Abuse Prevention and Control Act of 1970 because of the efforts of Anslinger. This classified cannabis as having high potential for abuse, no medical use, and not safe to use under medical supervision. All not true.

Many Retards still classify hemp with marijuana.

Killerdrug.jpg

The decision of the United States Congress to pass the Marihuana Tax Act of 1937 was based on hearings, reports and in part on testimony derived from articles in newspapers owned by William Randolph Hearst, who had significant financial interests in the timber industry, which manufactured his newsprint.

Cannabis activist Jack Herer has researched DuPont and in his 1985 book The Emperor Wears No Clothes, Herer concluded DuPont played a large role in the criminalization of cannabis. In 1938, DuPont patented the processes for creating plastics from coal and oil and a new process for creating paper from wood pulp. If hemp had been largely exploited, Herer believes it would have likely been used to make paper and plastic (nylon), and may have hurt DuPont's profits. Andrew Mellon of the Mellon Bank was DuPont's chief financial backer and was also the Secretary of the Treasury under the Hoover administration. Mellon appointed Harry J. Anslinger, who later became his nephew-in-law, as the head of the Bureau of Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs (FBNDD) and the Federal Bureau of Narcotics (FBN), where Anslinger stayed until 1962.

In 1916, United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) chief scientists Jason L. Merrill and Lyster H. Dewe created paper made from hemp pulp, which they concluded was "favorable in comparison with those used with pulp wood in USDA Bulletin No. 404." In his book Herer summarized the findings of Bulletin No. 404:

USDA Bulletin No. 404, reported that one acre of hemp, in annual rotation over a 20-year period, would produce as much pulp for paper as 4.1 acres (17,000 m2) of trees being cut down over the same 20-year period. This process would use only 1/4 to 1/7 as much polluting sulfur-based acid chemicals to break down the glue-like lignin that binds the fibers of the pulp, or even none at all using soda ash. The problem of dioxin contamination of rivers is avoided in the hemp paper making process, which does not need to use chlorine bleach (as the wood pulp paper making process requires) but instead safely substitutes hydrogen peroxide in the bleaching process. ... If the new (1916) hemp pulp paper process were legal today, it would soon replace about 70% of all wood pulp paper, including computer printout paper, corrugated boxes and paper bags.

Hemp was a relatively easy target because factories already had made large investments in equipment to handle cotton, wool, and linen, but there were relatively small investments in hemp production. Big technological improvements in the wood pulp industry were invented in the 1930s; for example the recovery boiler allowed kraft mills to recycle almost all of their pulping chemicals, and other improvements came later. There was also a misconception hemp had an intoxicating effect because it has the same active substance, THC, which is in potent cannabis strains; however, hemp only has minimal amount of THC when compared to recreational cannabis strains.

An alternative explanation for Anslinger's opinion's about hemp is that he believed that a tax on cannabis could be easier to supervise if it included hemp and that he had reports from experiments with mechanical harvesting of hemp reporting that the machines was no success and reports about cannabis farms.

"The existence of the old 1934-1935 crop of harvested hemp on the fields of southern Minnesota is a menace to society in that it is being used by traffickers in marihuana as a source of supply."

"they were able to cut only a part of the Tribune Farm crop by machine, two thirds of it they did by hand with a sharp hand cuttertuff".

An argument for the alternative theory is that hemp was not an alternative as material in the new commercial products from DuPont using oil or coal as raw material, the nylon-bristled toothbrush (1938) followed more famously by women's “nylons” stockings (1940). Nylon was intended to be a synthetic replacement for silk not hemp.

This is the evidence used to prove weed is a gateway drug....They say people who use crack, ecstasy, acid, herion, etc... nearly always have tried weed before...Well, obviously if you are willing to do crack you would have likely tried a much less dangerous and less addictive drug. Weed is by far the most popular illegal drug in the US; it has never been proven you are more likely to do other drugs if you do weed.

It's like saying nearly every professional chef has admitted to once baking a Betty Crocker cake. Then coming to the conclusion you are more likely to become a good chef if you have baked a Betty Crocker cake atleast once before in your life.

You know where the fight is now against this...... jobs and money revolving around enforcement,judicial,incarceration and all of the supporting industries along with the moral conservatives that make up part of the right wing.

Hell Mexican drug lords might lobby and send money to politicians third party..... they stand to lose billions.......

logic is not the reasoning behind prohibition.......... morality/fear/money from competing industries that profit from criminalizing or competing against the crop......

You know where the fight is now against this...... jobs and money revolving around enforcement,judicial,incarceration and all of the supporting industries along with the moral conservatives that make up part of the right wing.

Hell Mexican drug lords might lobby and send money to politicians third party..... they stand to lose billions.......

logic is not the reasoning behind prohibition.......... morality/fear/money from competing industries that profit from criminalizing or competing against the crop......

Sev real pot smokers don't but Mexican weed my friend. It's brown and riddled with pesticides. It's the meth, coke and heroin they are worried about. Transporting weed is dumb. 10 bails of weed brings in the same amount cash as a shoebox full of coke. If you are going to get the same jail sentence you might as well do it right.

I still dont understand why someone would want to go through life halfbaked.

They must hate reality and cannot cope with life.

T, is has nothing to do with coping. It's about having fun and living your life the way one wants to. These "halfbaked" people are lawyers, doctors, etc. You don't have to be high all the time to enjoy a good joint once in a while.

Archived