THE BROWNS BOARD

Best DB Tandems

The Gipper

On another thread, it was brought up that someone believed that Dixon and Minniefield were the best cornerback tandem in the history of the league. While I loved those guys, I think that it taking it a little far. Neither of them is in the HOF nor likely to get there.

Here are some other duos to consider: Mike Haynes and Lester Hayes of the Raiders. Haynes is a HOFer

The duo of Herb Adderly and Mel Renfro. Both played together with the Cowboys during the '70, 71, and 72 seasons. Both are in the Hall of Fame.

The duo of Dick LeBeau and Dick "Night Train" Lane played together with the Lions from 1959 to 1965. Both in the Hall of Fame.

If you look not just at corners, but include a safety in the mix, you have these duos:

Corner Herb Adderly and Safety Willie Wood played together for the Packers from 1961-1969. Both in the Hall of Fame

The St. Louis Cardinals had the services of Hall of Fame duo Larry Wilson at Safety and Roger Werhli at corner for 4 seasons: '69, 70, 71, 72.

Now, consider the Lions of the 50s/60s/70s, at different times they had as many as 3 Hall of Famers playing in their defensive backfield:

Jack Christiansen HOF Safety played from 1951 to 1958

Yale Lary HOF Safety played from 1952 to 1964

Night Train Lane HOF Corner played from 1952 to 1965

Dick LeBeau HOF Corner played from 1959 to 1972

Lem Barney HOF Corner played from 1967 to 1977

So from 1952 to 1958 there was Christiansen, Lary, Lane

From 1959 to 1964 there was LeBeau, Lary, and Lane

(12 consecutive years of 3 HOFers at DB)

In 1965 there was Lane and LeBeau.

In 1966 there was only LeBeau

In 1967-1972 there was LeBeau and Barney

You can see why the Lions were in those title matches in the 50s, and why in the 60s, though they weren't title contenders, they were still considered a very stout defensive team.

Any other duos or trios you can think of that would at least rate honorable mention?

I think one that should be mentioned is the tandem of Willie Brown and Jack Tatum of the Raiders. Brown is in the HOF, and Jack Tatum deserves to be, from the standpoint of his play on the field. The only reason he isn't considered is because of the negativity over the Darryl Stingley incident.

LeBeau and Night Train are probably my favorite. I think Night Train Lane is one of the greatest nicknames in sports, and I've always liked Dick LeBeau. One of the first things my dad taught me about football was the Night Train Necktie, actually.

Granted, you're talking about a bunch of tandems from before my time, so I'm not exactly well-versed on the subjects. I just know the ones I like.

As far as current players, Revis and Cromartie are probably at the top of the class. And that's without playing a down together yet.

Here is a link to one author's Top 10 corner duos. They do put Dixon and Minniefield at #2 all time:

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story?id=090...mp;confirm=true

While they aren't hall of famers, I think think that has more to do with the fact that their playing careers and years of prime play were short. They had, what, 3 or 4 years together where both were playing in their prime?

Not to mention that the Browns LB's and DL were usually very good, and as such made it easier for the DB's.

In any case, when they were in their prime, I agree, they were amongst the absolute best.

While they aren't hall of famers, I think think that has more to do with the fact that their playing careers and years of prime play were short. They had, what, 3 or 4 years together where both were playing in their prime?

Not to mention that the Browns LB's and DL were usually very good, and as such made it easier for the DB's.

In any case, when they were in their prime, I agree, they were amongst the absolute best.

Well, I disagree on the Browns DL. I think if we had had a better DL when Dixon and Minniefield played the Browns would have gone to a couple of SBs. The DL was the weak link of our D. The best we had was Carl Hairston, and he was on the backside of his career at that point. "The Drive" occurred because the DL could not put enough pressure on Elway to bottle him up.

Here is a link to one author's Top 10 corner duos. They do put Dixon and Minniefield at #2 all time:

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story?id=090...mp;confirm=true

i think it's safe to say their surrounding team is the main thing holding them back from being considered #1, that and Marty's prevent defense.

the Browns winning the big game would have made them both Hall of Famers, which in turn would have made them universally accepted as the #1 CB tandem of all time. they mention this in the NFL films best CB tandem episode, that that was the only knock keeping them out--the lack of super bowl accolades.

i won't let the politics overshadow who they really were>>>they were the best. some of those guys from back in the day couldn't translate to today's game, but i firmly believe Top Dawg and Minni could.

Well, I disagree on the Browns DL. I think if we had had a better DL when Dixon and Minniefield played the Browns would have gone to a couple of SBs. The DL was the weak link of our D. The best we had was Carl Hairston, and he was on the backside of his career at that point. "The Drive" occurred because the DL could not put enough pressure on Elway to bottle him up.
that and the fact Marty chose to only rush three guys and left HD and FM on islands while Elway had all day to pick us apart.

MartyBall had a lot to do with their notoriety, but it may have also cost them their #1 tandem spot.

Hayes and Haynes were together only three and a half years on th edown slope of their careers. so while they were amazing during that Super bowl run in 83, I think the fact that Dixon and Minnifield were in their prime together and started three Pro Bowls together makes them the best pure corner tandem ever in the past 40 years.

I remember Lem Barney, but not Night train or LeBeau as players, but having Hall Of famers across from each other all those years puts Lions a cut above any other tandem.

Zombo

LeBeau and Night Train are probably my favorite. I think Night Train Lane is one of the greatest nicknames in sports, and I've always liked Dick LeBeau. One of the first things my dad taught me about football was the Night Train Necktie, actually.

Granted, you're talking about a bunch of tandems from before my time, so I'm not exactly well-versed on the subjects. I just know the ones I like.

As far as current players, Revis and Cromartie are probably at the top of the class. And that's without playing a down together yet.

Lane is currenlt #4 on the all-time interceptions list. (#2 when he retired)

LeBeau is currenlty #7. (#3 when he retired)

These two are by far the best corner duo in NFL history

Lane is currenlt #4 on the all-time interceptions list. (#2 when he retired)

LeBeau is currenlty #7. (#3 when he retired)

These two are by far the best corner duo in NFL history

we're not a little bit biased, are we (both of us)?

as you know there's more to being a complete corner than INTs.

these guys were not just ball hawks but awesome in run support, tackling, delivering a nice hit, and at man to man. even crazier, they could still be relevant in today's NFL imo.

would you really consider Lane and LeBeau as complete as FM and HD?

we're not a little bit biased, are we (both of us)?

as you know there's more to being a complete corner than INTs.

these guys were not just ball hawks but awesome in run support, tackling, delivering a nice hit, and at man to man. even crazier, they could still be relevant in today's NFL imo.

would you really consider Lane and LeBeau as complete as FM and HD?

I think you are right, they were not as complete as Dixon and Minnie. From what I have read Night Train was more like a physical safety that would beat guys up and steal the ball from them. he was known for his powerful hits, not his coverage, which was different then with different schemes and alignments. LeBeau was smart ball hawk type, but I think the reason he made the Hall was for growing sentiment for him due to his brilliant career as a defensive assistant. Not that he wasn't a standout player, but it took quite a while for him to get recognized as a Hall of Fame corner, much longer than Barney.

Zombo

I think you are right, they were not as complete as Dixon and Minnie. From what I have read Night Train was more like a physical safety that would beat guys up and steal the ball from them. he was known for his powerful hits, not his coverage, which was different then with different schemes and alignments. LeBeau was smart ball hawk type, but I think the reason he made the Hall was for growing sentiment for him due to his brilliant career as a defensive assistant. Not that he wasn't a standout player, but it took quite a while for him to get recognized as a Hall of Fame corner, much longer than Barney.

Zombo

I think LeBeau's recognition was long past overdue.

While it is true that Night Train Lane was a more physical CB, more like a safety, I think that was true right across the board prior to the massive rules changes that took place in 1978 favoring the offense....the no bump rule, etc.

Prior to that time both DBs AND WRs were a more physical group. Look at the likes of Boyd Dowler and Max McGee from the multi-champion Packers. Those guys were more built for a street fight than for quick strike action, because the battles between WRs and DBs prior to 1978 WERE like street fights. Bangin' and bumpin and grabbin' and holdin' all the way down the field at least until the ball was released.

After 1978, you could have WRs that were like Smurfs. In fact the Redskins WR of part of the 80s/90s were called The Smurfs. Small, little quick guys. Those types could not have thrived or perhaps even survived the earlier rugged era of WR/DB confrontation. Likewise for DBs, a Deion Sanders who could not tackle your grandmama would not have been worth a damn probably in the earlier era. A big WR like a Gary Collins/Dave Parks/Max McGee/John Stallworth would have flattened him on his ass and gone up and got the ball.

I think LeBeau's recognition was long past overdue.
it definitely makes one wonder, if LeBeau never did another thing after he played, if he would have ever been inducted based strictly upon his play on the field.

unfortunately we'll never know so it's pretty much moot i guess.

Archived