THE BROWNS BOARD

Some Facts about Tebow

nobuo

You should do a little backround check before you post such BS. Tebow has done much more than just preach. Check his bio out. He's done a ton of charity work and along with his family has supported MANY charitable organizations. Don't bash someone until you know what you're talking about.

As far as Tebow's 'sharing' his faith, good for him. If some are threatened by that, maybe they should consider why. If you really feel your relationshaip with your god is solid, no one talking about their commitment would bother you.

As far as a player - sort of the reason for this post - I think he's got much more than even the article expresses. He's proven to be a leader. In case you've not seen any Gator games, this guy gets his teamates fired up and it appears he's genuine. he has at times taken it upon himself to get a momentum going and that energy spread throughout the team and they rallied. Don't underestimate the power of excitement. Too many, including Brady Quinn and Derek Anderson, had none and never got their teamates rallied. Players like Ray Lewis, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, Tom Brady can do that. Tebow has the drive and an unusual commitment to learn or relearn if necessary, what is needed to get to the next step. The articles discussing his commitment to changing his throwing technique, etc. says alot about Tebow. .... although I'm sure now posts will pour in about how he's doing THAT for attention as well.

This guy may very possibly be the real deal. Why is that so threatening ?

I'm not at all threatened. It's just that some people's "commitment" to their god has lead to centuries of war, rape, murder, theivery, lying, and selfishness. It's not that I can't handle him preaching, it's that there are people in the world that mis-interprate the word and become maniacal followers. That's what I'm most defensive about. What type of citizen of the world would I be if I didn't take into consideration everyone else in it? And on top of all of that, it's uneccessary self-promotion under the guise of a greater cause.

I just don't hink he's a very good QB and the adoration that surrounds him I believe, stems from his open relationship with god. It's not unfair to say that Christians will support Christians in whatever they do. And he may very well contribute to charity but it comes off as PR for his 'cause'. All I'm saying is that I believe that if you need to bring it up so often, it seems like you are just reassuirng yourself that you are a "good person" or hiding some personal guilt. I believe that good people are good because they are, not because they have been taught what is "good". And humilty also goes a very long way. I can only speak from personal experience but some of the best deeds I have ever witnessed have gone unannounced, annoticed, and without motive. Tebow may make a good "witness" but I don't see how he could make a good teammate. It should be noted that there is an enormous difference between a bunch of 20 year olds getting fired up on a college team and what it takes to motivate 25 year old millionares. Especially in locker rooms that are filled with various religions that are in large part; kept private.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tebow gets recognition for his abilities, not for his religious views. Any subsequent attention he gets is fallback from sports achievements. Not sure how many religious magazines post editorials about him as opposed to Sports Illustrated.

You can't blame Jehovah's witnesses for going door to door trying to spread their faith, can you ? You may not care to answer your door and listen to their opinion, but you have to give them credit for trying to build, right ? ... and I find it unlikely they'll be starting any wars, raping, murdering or causing world issues.

In regard to motivating teamates, especially millionaires, agreed there is a large difference between motivating those guys vs. college kids. Usually, in the cases of those that I mentioned above, their talents gain them the respect and they use that respect to motivate the others because I'd assume others tend to see that 'it works for him, so I might as well try it too !' From there the noisy get 'em fired up types, have the latitude of influence. I believe Tebow, especially since he's open to change, is capable of building the pro level talent and with that, he also has the ability to be motivational.

Once he builds his play to a pro player level, just as in college, he'll use that recognition to lead as well. Who listened to Braylon or Winslow or BQ or DA, not many because they were not consistent players. In my opinion if BQ had shown some grit or DA some consistency, they may have been a good QB. Braylon and Winslow, had they shown some more dedication and consistency, great receivers and team leaders rather than diseases.

Tebow has the tools, hopefully he'll develop them into pro caliber and then use what he already knows to be a leader and great QB. I really hope he ends up here and is given the time to grow. Additionally, Jake could be a good mentor for a guy like Tebow.

I hope BQ had enough time and it just never happened, as opposed to our tossing another guy to become a star elsewhere.

Kosar, you make some good points and I appreciate you not resorting to name-calling or insults. We will though, have to agree to disagree. I hope he does well as I don't hate the kid, but I don't want him on my team. I couldn't handle another guy selling 10,000,000 jerseys before ever taking a snap. Or listening to Jake answer questions about his backup after a win over a division rival. I think we can all agree we've had enough of that.

... and I find it unlikely they'll be starting any wars, raping, murdering or causing world issues.

isn't that what they said in waco or jonestown? everyone has a right to their own beliefs, just (when comes time to project those views) let it be equal across the board. and if you think it is equal now or ever has been, you are sadly mistaken.

He hasn't been put on a pedestal for his religious views. If he didn't play football, you would have never heard of him.

God treats us all the same. Some of us do better than others because we did a better job of preparing and possibly got a bit lucky along the way.

Don't blame Tim Tebow for your failures in life. That's all on you.

:laughs:Peen your love for tebow is well known...and your answer is bullshit on the god part...I have no failures,and I certainly don't blame tebow for any of my past blunders...but watch a St. Judes Childrens Hospital commercial,and explain to me how those kids,some quite young, didn't do "a better job of preparing". It reminds me of a passage in the classic book Catch-22, where Yossarian is discussing his disbelief in God with Lt.Schiesskopf's wife....she gets furious and says she doesn't believe in god either,but the god she doesn't believe in is a kind merciful god....not the blundering sadist that Yossarian doesn't believe in. Tebow has been put on a pedestal by some people because of his religious beliefs,football got him noticed, his pappy,being a canny skypilot,used his sons fame to spread his beliefs. Next time you think god treats us all the same take a stroll through a children's cancer ward, then get back to me.

To get back to football...I hope that the Browns stay far away from the fundamentalist qb. I don't see his skill set making him an NFL qb...maybe a te,but not a qb.

:laughs:Peen your love for tebow is well known...and your answer is bullshit on the god part...I have no failures,and I certainly don't blame tebow for any of my past blunders...but watch a St. Judes Childrens Hospital commercial,and explain to me how those kids,some quite young, didn't do "a better job of preparing". It reminds me of a passage in the classic book Catch-22, where Yossarian is discussing his disbelief in God with Lt.Schiesskopf's wife....she gets furious and says she doesn't believe in god either,but the god she doesn't believe in is a kind merciful god....not the blundering sadist that Yossarian doesn't believe in. Tebow has been put on a pedestal by some people because of his religious beliefs,football got him noticed, his pappy,being a canny skypilot,used his sons fame to spread his beliefs. Next time you think god treats us all the same take a stroll through a children's cancer ward, then get back to me.

To get back to football...I hope that the Browns stay far away from the fundamentalist qb. I don't see his skill set making him an NFL qb...maybe a te,but not a qb.

I completely agree with you and I think most people agree with me that he is a 4th or 5th round talent. The sad thing is, he won't make it out of the 2nd because of his beliefs. Somebody will throw him a bone because they admire his beliefs and he and his family will call it "good luck" or "another blessing" or "all the hard work paid off". What it really is is some other fundamentalist will do him a favor.

Lol at least he'll be good for prayer time.

LIKE KURT WARNER AND THE MONEY SHOTS OF His wife IN THE STANDS PRAYING TO GOD HE DIDN'T GET ANOTHER CONCUSSION or get tossed to the ground like a bag of crap. sometimes it's easy to look away from faith no matter what it is you find faith in............until the time you need it, like when you wake up puking into a toilet or you're faced with your own mortality. let's hope there's something else after this. i can't fault anyone for what they believe in, just shut up about it. i'm sure tebow is a great guy and he does great stuff but this is the time in his life where he should be having fun, not taking direction from an over zealot preacher or such (children of the corn, or i just saw the movie the mist where i jumped out of my seat with laughter when the false prophet bitch got shot in the head). let me go back to being 20ish (physically) they'll have and APB and a BOLO for me faster that mr. chin has the piles from eating spicy kung po.

I completely agree with you and I think most people agree with me that he is a 4th or 5th round talent. The sad thing is, he won't make it out of the 2nd because of his beliefs. Somebody will throw him a bone because they admire his beliefs and he and his family will call it "good luck" or "another blessing" or "all the hard work paid off". What it really is is some other fundamentalist will do him a favor.

Now you are talking crazy.

First, he is way better than 4th or 5th.....but assuming you are right....he isn't going to get drafted as a favor. LOL

Jesus was outspoken. Why should Tebow be quiet about what he believes?

I'd be excited about a guy with character being on our team and in the lockerroom. After years of druggies (William Green), talkative wannabes (K2, Braylon) and all the idiocy of players doing stupid crap in the NFL (Vick, Pacman, Plaxico, etc), just having a player with character would be amazing in today's NFL. He's not immune to mistakes, but at least he's got a foundation and an upbringing that will hopefully innoculate him towards some of the stupidity other players seem unable to avoid.

While College #'s don't correlate to success, it's still a good indicator that he's a good football player. He smoked Peyton in college, which is very surprising to me. Obviously it was different systems and different teams in a different timeframe, but that's still nothing to ignore. People are so quick to assume he'll be a bust when he hasn't even gotten a chance yet.

I'd be excited about a guy with character being on our team and in the lockerroom. After years of druggies (William Green), talkative wannabes (K2, Braylon) and all the idiocy of players doing stupid crap in the NFL (Vick, Pacman, Plaxico, etc), just having a player with character would be amazing in today's NFL. He's not immune to mistakes, but at least he's got a foundation and an upbringing that will hopefully innoculate him towards some of the stupidity other players seem unable to avoid.

While College #'s don't correlate to success, it's still a good indicator that he's a good football player. He smoked Peyton in college, which is very surprising to me. Obviously it was different systems and different teams in a different timeframe, but that's still nothing to ignore. People are so quick to assume he'll be a bust when he hasn't even gotten a chance yet.

Since when does being religious mean someone has "character"? If thats the case muslim suicide bombers are brimming with character,or how about Scott Roeder? in the fullness of time we will know the NFL story of tebow...I,for one, think it will mirror the career of Steve Heiden.....not Peyton Manning

see that is stupid. you are exactly what the 'even-minded' people are horrified of, putting tim tebow's name in the same sentence as jesus. mohammad massaquoi and allah used to hang out too. dick.

Let's make a simple observation: just because someone openly professes faith, doesn't make him a person of character. Some of the biggest theives, hypocrites, abusers, etc. have done their actions in the name of faith. That being said, I have no reason to assume that TT is anything other than honest and forthright about his beliefs, or that he is anything other than a good character (But just professing it doesn't make it so). My only point is that if you allow proselityzing in an NFL lockerroom for one faith, I think you need to give equal time to most others.

May the Force be with you.

@ Moony - I never said being religious meant someone had character. I just said he has character, which he does.

@ Mik - Being a Christian means you believe in and follow Jesus Christ (Christian). So the example Christians use as the standard is Jesus. Therefore if Jesus was outspoken, he too can be outspoken. That doesn't mean Tebow is Jesus or is God or anything like that. It means he can be outspoken. Are personal attacks really that necessary dude? Seriously?

@ Gipper - I also never said because he's outspoken means he has character. I just said he has character, which he does.

Q.Q less people. Stop getting so bent out of shape over the man's religion. He's a person of integrity, he has character, he's a good football player, and he's firm in what he believes. Get over it and lets look at football.

@ Moony - I never said being religious meant someone had character. I just said he has character, which he does.

@ Mik - Being a Christian means you believe in and follow Jesus Christ (Christian). So the example Christians use as the standard is Jesus. Therefore if Jesus was outspoken, he too can be outspoken. That doesn't mean Tebow is Jesus or is God or anything like that. It means he can be outspoken. Are personal attacks really that necessary dude? Seriously?

@ Gipper - I also never said because he's outspoken means he has character. I just said he has character, which he does.

Q.Q less people. Stop getting so bent out of shape over the man's religion. He's a person of integrity, he has character, he's a good football player, and he's firm in what he believes. Get over it and lets look at football.

Well, there is one thing I do know about Tebow....and this has nothing to do with his religion, his character, his football ability, or anything else......but he is one of the ugliest persons I have ever seen.

He really is. Though, honestly, if he and Jimmy Clausen had an ugly contest I am not sure who would win.

you're right. let's look at football and not those 'john: frickin 13' black eye tape under his froggy eyes. if it was just about football we wouldn't be having this debate. religion and politics are bad topics on forums, streets or bars (which i'm more familiar with). frickin just outlaw the showing/demonstrating/professing of it in a public forum that not everyone believes in the same thing. the my god is better than your god bullshit is just that. bullshit. turn the cameras off during the prayer circle. i'd like to drop a bomb on that shit personally (right in the middle of the circle........you could have tebow, warner and every other holy roller sitting there holding hands and watch them turn to dust. HA)! THANKS FOR THE RIDE LADY!!!!!

You know Mic....you make some good points and i like reading your point of view, but you do need some more time to grow up.

I just take it as a aging process.....we do get smarter as we age.

You know Mic....you make some good points and i like reading your point of view, but you do need some more time to grow up.

I just take it as a aging process.....we do get smarter as we age.

i know ball..but man it's tough seeing you're 48 yr old body in front of a line of cats with nothing on their mind of just stripping you............of your dignity and pride. :lol:

Wow this tread went to $hit in a hurry!

I learned a long time ago that if you go out to the bars, a party, or public in general, too not talk about religion or politics, cause it never ends well for someone.

So Tebow likes to pray, who really gives a flying F**K, are you really that shallow that it bothers you? I'm not a religious man but I have prayed for a little guidance and help a time or two, I think everyone has. Right? Is there a difference other than you were not on TV?

I don't think it's the praying that bothers people, its just this weird nationwide hate that a growing number of people have toward him because he has been successful, and not just another punk ass kid.

I don't know but that's what it seems like to me.

If a little prayer bothers you that much you have deeper underlying issues that you should seek help for.

Wow this tread went to $hit in a hurry!

I learned a long time ago that if you go out to the bars, a party, or public in general, too not talk about religion or politics, cause it never ends well for someone.

So Tebow likes to pray, who really gives a flying F**K, are you really that shallow that it bothers you? I'm not a religious man but I have prayed for a little guidance and help a time or two, I think everyone has. Right? Is there a difference other than you were not on TV?

I don't think it's the praying that bothers people, its just this weird nationwide hate that a growing number of people have toward him because he has been successful, and not just another punk ass kid.

I don't know but that's what it seems like to me.

If a little prayer bothers you that much you have deeper underlying issues that you should seek help for.

i really am at this point, just trying to feel out people here on the board. i've gotten into it with two people that are probably the most knowledgeable on the board (the gipper and ballpeen), and learned to pretty much stfu about stuff that i'm not reaaly kean on. in speaking upon the topic of this thread i was only trying to point out that this discussion (concernning tebow's faith etc) is just a waste of time and enegy. and if you've read my other posts you'll note that there is faith in my life. but the belief in my faith is not going to overshadow the fact that i know you on monday morning are trying to get a frappuciono at starbucks. i know you work there and tips are thinner and thinner.....but..........start asking for tips from no-knowledge football geeks who love tim tebow. tell 'em it's a game where the christian women just throw quarters at peiople dressed like bunnies. and come back in prgnant and cute!!

i really am at this point, just trying to feel out people here on the board. i've gotten into it with two people that are probably the most knowledgeable on the board (the gipper and ballpeen), and learned to pretty much stfu about stuff that i'm not reaaly kean on. in speaking upon the topic of this thread i was only trying to point out that this discussion (concernning tebow's faith etc) is just a waste of time and enegy. and if you've read my other posts you'll note that there is faith in my life. but the belief in my faith is not going to overshadow the fact that i know you on monday morning are trying to get a frappuciono at starbucks. i know you work there and tips are thinner and thinner.....but..........start asking for tips from no-knowledge football geeks who love tim tebow. tell 'em it's a game where the christian women just throw quarters at peiople dressed like bunnies. and come back in prgnant and cute!!

Mik I wasn't referring to you in general.... mostly everyone that has a problem with someone saying a prayer.

If he was sacrificing people or animals then I can see a good reason.

frickin just outlaw the showing/demonstrating/professing of it in a public forum that not everyone believes in the same thing.

Fail.

If you want that go live in North Korea or Communist China. This is the United States where people are free to express what they want to express.

I tried to get the thread back OT but I guess that's not gonna happen anymore.

Fail.

If you want that go live in North Korea or Communist China. This is the United States where people are free to express what they want to express.

I tried to get the thread back OT but I guess that's not gonna happen anymore.

our government separates the church from the state. sure people are free to express their views but they're also free to get punched in the face.

To all those who say take Tebow cos of his religion - DANG YOU !

To all those who say take Tebow cos of his charity - DANG YOU !

To all those who say take Tebow cos of his beliefs - DANG YOU !

To all those who say take Tebow cos MH sees something in him - THANK YOU !

There are 100s of churches in Cleveland where we can find preachers and good men, but this is not about finding the good guy but a good football player.

To all those who say take Tebow cos of his religion - DANG YOU !

To all those who say take Tebow cos of his charity - DANG YOU !

To all those who say take Tebow cos of his beliefs - DANG YOU !

To all those who say take Tebow cos MH sees something in him - THANK YOU !

There are 100s of churches in Cleveland where we can find preachers and good men, but this is not about finding the good guy but a good football player.

I don't see anybody saying take him because of those things.....I sense many don't want to take him because of those things.

It's all about the football...and for me, I would take him in a heartbeat.

I don't see anybody saying take him because of those things.....I sense many don't want to take him because of those things.

It's all about the football...and for me, I would take him in a heartbeat.

If it is about football then it is perfectly justified.

If it is about football then it is perfectly justified.

agree!! he's a guy you'd want in you foxhole or on your line. just gotta keep that trap shut! not sold on his nfl qb abilities yet but would definitely put him out there...and who knows: maybe become a man without all the baggage surrounding him.

our government separates the church from the state. sure people are free to express their views but they're also free to get punched in the face.

Show me in the constitution where it says separation of church and state. The wording in the constitution says that government will not establish or support a specific religion. It does not exclude religion from government. Our government was founded on religions beliefs and principles. And while this is America, and you don't have to believe what he believes, this is America and he has the right to believe what he wants to believe.

Archived