THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns show strong interest in Haden

calfoxwc

I think the #7 pick is Haden. Unless, they like Kyle Wilson just as much, then they will trade down a bit...

Cleveland shows strong interest in Florida cornerback Joe Haden: Browns Insider

By Mary Kay Cabot, The Plain Dealer

March 24, 2010, 10:21PM

Orlando SentinelFlorida's Joe Haden (left) is the top-rated cornerback in the NFL Draft. Updated with corrected photo.

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- The Browns conducted a private workout Monday with Florida cornerback Joe Haden in his hometown in Maryland and will bring him to Cleveland for a visit in early April, his agent Malik Shareef told The Plain Dealer.

Haden, the top-rated cornerback in the draft, is one of the players the Browns are considering with their No. 7 overall pick.

On Monday, Browns defensive backs coach Jerome Henderson, a former eight-year NFL defensive back, put Haden through an individual workout specific to the Browns' scheme.

"Joe responded very well to coach Henderson and had a good rapport with him," said Shareef. "Joe and I were very pleased with how everything went."

Haden (5-11, 193) raised some eyebrows at the NFL Combine last month when he ran a disappointing 4.57 in the 40 -- a time that some experts felt might drop him out of the top 10. But his father, Joe Haden Sr., told the Palm Beach Post that his son was suffering from a sprained back and shouldn't have run at the Combine. Haden rebounded at his pro day two weeks ago, clocking somewhere between the high 4.3s and low 4.4s in the 40.

"The Browns have shown a lot of interest in Joe and he's very, very excited about the possibility of playing in Cleveland," said Shareef. "He likes coach Eric Mangini and [President] Mike Holmgren. He'd love to be part of Mike Holmgren's legacy of turning that franchise around."

Mangini, a former defensive backs coach, said he looks at playing speed more than 40 time -- and Haden had no trouble shutting down some of the best receivers in the Southeastern Conference. "To me, how fast they run the 40, that's great," Mangini said at the NFL owners meetings in Orlando, Fla. "[but] it's how fast they can get from where they are to the guy with the ball. I think that's a lot more important. I thought [Haden] played faster than his Combine speed."

Al Goldis / APCentral Michigan quarterback Dan LeFevour.Browns watch LeFevour: The Browns were one of 22 teams represented at Central Michigan quarterback Dan LeFevour's pro day on Wednesday. However, the Browns' top men -- including Holmgren, Mangini and General Manager Tom Heckert -- were at the owners meetings and did not attend.

LeFevour, the sixth-best quarterback in the draft and a projected third-round pick, according to nfldraftscout.com, had difficulty with the deep ball during his pro day, but completed 55 of 62 passes, according to the Grand Rapids Press.

"Obviously, I always want to do better," LeFevour said. "I wish I could have put a little more on my ball, and been a little more accurate. I don't think I hurt myself today."

LeFevour (6-3, 229) passed for 12,905 yards and 102 touchdowns with only 36 interceptions during his four years as a starter.

No thanks: Although Philadelphia coach Andy Reid says he is reviewing trade offers for one or more of his three quarterbacks, don't expect the Browns to be involved.

"The ship has sailed," Holmgren said.

With the quarterback market drying up, there has been discussion that the asking price for Donovan McNabb, Kevin Kolb and Michael Vick has fallen. And given the Browns' stockpile of five draft picks in the top 85, plus Mangini's admission that the team has other trade options in the works, there was a feeling that the Browns still could make a play for one of the Eagles' quarterbacks.

Holmgren intends to add a young quarterback. The Browns have private visits lined up with Tim Tebow of Florida, Colt McCoy of Texas and Tony Pike of Cincinnati. Holmgren has said he expects to complete "four to five" visits with college quarterbacks before the April 22-24 NFL Draft.

Schedule update: Look for the Browns to play games within the AFC North Division in the final two weeks of the 2010 schedule. Commissioner Roger Goodell said he hopes to discourage teams from tanking -- resting regular players in the last couple of games -- by making all teams play division games in the final two weeks. The theory is that they will have playoff implications and therefore force coaches to try to win them.

Plain Dealer reporter Tony Grossi contributed information

No wonder this sounds stupid its coming from Cabet ( Cabbage Brains ), her and Schuedel ( use all 3 third round picks for one 2nd round pick, how also tried to beat me up in boy scouts because i threw a snowball at his little baby bitch kid. ) are the worst reporters/sports writers ever.

No wonder this sounds stupid its coming from Cabet ( Cabbage Brains ), her and Schuedel ( use all 3 third round picks for one 2nd round pick, how also tried to beat me up in boy scouts because i threw a snowball at his little baby bitch kid. ) are the worst reporters/sports writers ever.

Bizarre post.

Are you trying to communicate in a code of some sort??

Schedule update: Look for the Browns to play games within the AFC North Division in the final two weeks of the 2010 schedule. Commissioner Roger Goodell said he hopes to discourage teams from tanking -- resting regular players in the last couple of games -- by making all teams play division games in the final two weeks. The theory is that they will have playoff implications and therefore force coaches to try to win them.

That is a good idea to play it out that way.

I disagree........ for the first time in ten years we have mgt that gets it and understands if you do not score YOU LOSE............duh

Offense will be first priority as it should be this draft

thank goodness idiocy is gonna go bye bye

I disagree........ for the first time in ten years we have mgt that gets it and understands if you do not score YOU LOSE............duh

Offense will be first priority as it should be this draft

thank goodness idiocy is gonna go bye bye

I am not so sure Rich. I am thinking this is going to be a defensive draft.....but who knows

Archived