THE BROWNS BOARD

Colt McCoy Impresses during ProDay, Rams to work out McCoy

kamac19

Earl34 I'd like to say that I'm glad we're having this debate. It can only make us both wiser.

That being said...The headline of the article is "McCoy is a solid second-round draft pick" If he were still available in the 2nd that may be something to look at but I still feel that we would be better served helping ourselves elsewhere. My concern is that we would try to make a move to get him in the first which I don't think would serve us practically considering the moves we've already made. And again everybody looks good at those workouts when a 240 lb linebacker isn't bering down on you.

Thanks for the info though. How do you like Shipley in the 3rd?

Hays, not to be argumentative ;-) but my whole premise here is that Colt McCoy does NOT merit a first round pick (much less #7).

As for Jordan Shipley, I will tell you that he doesn't have the hype of Roy Williams (who never came up big in college either, BTW) and may fly under the radar but he is THE best WR to come out of Texas in my mind. Shipley is not going to amaze with 40 times (4.57) but I think many people would agree he "plays faster than his 40". Be that as it may, the things I like about him:

- With the exception of last year's OU game, he beats the jam at the line exceptionally well

- Runs crisp routes and his change of direction in his breaks is exceptional (i.e., is more "agile" than "fast")

- Catches everything (and I do mean EVERYTHING)

A couple things that I wish were better:

- He could be taller (I could be too for that matter)

- Has an injury history with a medical redshirt; unclear how he'll hold up to the pounding

@ rich4eagle above....

Rich, I think you're spot on with a key observation about Colt McCoy. Even when he doesn't light up the stat book he still leads his team in the fourth quarter. Aside from beating Ohio State in the Fiesta Bowl (which was a perfectly accurate throw to a backside hot read...thanks for the blitz Jim Tressel), one thing that is lost is that in the famous Texas Tech game (which Crabtree won on a last second TD) is that McCoy brought his team from behind and carried them in the fourth quarter. The defense had plenty of chances to ice the game and couldn't. I appreciate your enthusiasm for my boy The Colt but the fact is that even a Texas homer like me won't believe he's gone at #7. The absolute EARLIEST I can see him going (and I'm stretching here) is late first. For instance, if most of these teams at the top of the second are trying to keep from shooting their load over him and there really IS excitement over The Colt, then I think you could see someone panic that they might lose him and trade up as high as perhaps the Jets at 29. Not trying to bash you as I think the last three months have seen this kid devalued and discounted unfairly. He's no better but he's also no worse than some of these other QBs with 2nd or 3rd round grades.

Here is something written by a friend of mine. I take blogs with a grain of salt and so should you but this is an opinion piece and I think it's well written. I only include the part about The Colt. If you'd like to read the whole thing (including Jordan) go here:

Colt McCoy

If people had doubts about Shipley because of his injuries, they definitely had doubts about Colt for being, well, a nobody. It seemed ludicrous to many fans that some scrawny kid from the middle of nowhere could lead Texas, especially after the legend of Vince Young. All he did, of course, was break the record for freshman TD passes and nearly lead the Horns to a national title until his fateful injury against Kansas State.

That, however, did not earn him any free passes. You rarely get any at Texas. After a rocky 2007 season, Colt McCoy went under considerable heat. People wanted him benched during the season for John Chiles, with some fans even creating Facebook groups about it. Cooler heads did not think Chiles should start but cautiously suggested that we get him on the field as much as we could. Even I, who energetically defended Colt against his detractors that season, saw the wisdom of trying to get John Chiles more touches. Colt proceeded to obliterate all expectations once again, turning in one of the all-time great seasons for a quarterback in 2008. I will go to my grave arguing that Colt McCoy deserved the Heisman last year, and we were a few lucky breaks away from another title shot. Colt proved himself to be a gritty winner and a hard worker like the beloved Major Applewhite, only better. The talk about John Chiles died into nothing, and now Chiles is not even a quarterback. Those same fans who wished for Jevan Snead back in 2007 thanked their lucky stars the coaches chose Colt instead. Only one thing was missing for Colt, and that was a national championship.

Unfortunately, as we all know, Colt was the victim of a mountain of cruel, bad luck. I am not ashamed to admit that I felt pretty crappy when I saw Colt fight back tears in the post-game interview, robbed of a chance that he of all players deserved. Even true, Alabama fans who respect the game of football would have wished Colt McCoy to play. Not because they're arrogant enough to guarantee they'd win anyway, but because they respect a player like Colt who had given so much to college football. Colt deserved to play, and the world of college football, whether you hail from Texas, Alabama, or Oklahoma, deserved to watch him. And it was taken from us, and nobody felt it worse than him. If we had lost the game with Colt, I would make my peace with the game and move on. But to lose like that, to lose Colt McCoy in a flukey manner at a point in the game where we could have established firm control, is as cruel a game event as I have ever experienced. I may never let it go. ctex80 and I last summer recounted some painful games and moments in Texas history, and this moment will undoubtedly belong to that list.

Fair or not, as I said in my immediate reaction to the game, Colt McCoy's legacy, as great as it is, will be littered with "What if" questions. A fluke injury against Kansas State in 2006 derailed a national title run. An easily dropped interception and a host of unlucky results derailed another one in 2008. And then in 2009, another fluke injury, this time in the biggest game of his career, derailed his last chance at college football's big prize. I've always said that winning a national title, especially when going undefeated, requires a good deal of luck. Colt never seemed to get the breaks to give him that chance, and that, in a word, sucks.

The good news? Colt McCoy will move on and have a chance at the next level. Not only that, he is recently engaged and will undoubtedly be a happy family man. When we won the national title in 2005, Mack Brown told the players that he didn't want that event to be the best in their lives; he wanted them to be good fathers and husbands. In a similar vein, if getting injured in the national title game is the worst thing that ever happens to Colt McCoy from now to the future, then he still has a darn good life. Best of luck in the future, Colt.

While we are ultimately disappointed with the final result, we should remember the expectations of Colt McCoy when he first started and how he obliterated them. He exemplified hard work and perseverance, and I never, ever saw Colt McCoy give up in a game. He might play terribly, he might get hurt, and he might have his teammates fail him, but make no mistake, if he's physically able, Colt will play to the end. Because of that, he is the winningest QB in NCAA history, and that distinction is well-earned.

To end

I will not miss the annoying roommate references on TV, referring to either them or their fathers, but I will certainly miss watching these two play. They exemplified hard work, dedication, and good citizenship on and off the field, and they maximized their talent here in college. They should both remind us that great things can happen when we do not expect it, and whenever Texas is looking at a "down" year in the future, we should look back on these two guys who smashed every expectation people set for them.

Shipley does not have prototypical WR size and McCoy does not have prototypical NFL arm strength, but underestimate them at your own peril. Like Vince Young before them, they have this bad habit of proving people wrong.

Archived