THE BROWNS BOARD

Hamlin & Adams cut

Hamlin will fill a need a S, and played in Seattle for Holmgren.

Sources: Cowboys cut Adams, Hamlin

By Calvin Watkins

ESPNDallas.com

The Dallas Cowboys started the purge of some underachieving veterans by cutting starting left tackle Flozell Adams and free safety Ken Hamlin on Friday, according to multiple sources.

Adams, 34, had the longest tenure of any Cowboys player. He was a second-round pick in 1998 out of Michigan State and was a five-time Pro Bowl selection. He missed only 14 games in his 13-year career with Dallas.

But in 2009, Adams wasn't as dominant as he'd been and the organization began looking at other options. Doug Free spent some time at left tackle during practices and games, and when Adams suffered a calf injury in Dallas' playoff loss to Minnesota, Free took over.

More on the Cowboys

Calvin Watkins and Tim MacMahon have the Cowboys blanketed for ESPNDallas.com.

Adams was due a $2.5 million roster bonus in June and a base salary of $5 million this season. Jordan Woy, Adams' agent, confirmed that Adams has been released.

"He has enjoyed his time in Dallas with his teammates and the Cowboys' organization," Woy told the Dallas Morning News. "Now it is time to move on to a new team. Flo feels he has several good years in front of him."

Hamlin, meanwhile, was coming off an average season in which he finished with 74 tackles, no interceptions and four pass breakups.

"I would like to say to all my fans that I appreciate all the love that you have showed me in Dallas," Hamlin said via his Twitter page. "It was a good run..... Thanks."

It was an interesting week for Hamlin, who missed the first day of voluntary workouts because his scheduled flight out of Los Angeles didn't allow him to get to Dallas on time. Hamlin, along with wide receiver Miles Austin and cornerback Terence Newman, spent the weekend with several other NFL players attending the Playboy Golf Scramble at the Industry Hills Golf Club at Pacific Palms Resort in Industry Hills, Calif.

Hamlin signed a one-year contract in 2007 after spending four seasons in Seattle. Hamlin earned his first Pro Bowl berth that year, compiling career highs in tackles (102) and interceptions (five). The Cowboys rewarded Hamlin with a six-year, $39 million contract.

But Hamlin's numbers declined in 2008, when he had 92 tackles and just one interception. Last season, he missed four games with a high ankle sprain and was replaced by Alan Ball. At the time, coach Wade Phillips praised Ball's work for getting the secondary in place and for making plays.

Hamlin returned for the final three games of the regular season and had 15 tackles and one pass breakup. Phillips said Hamlin was playing better toward the end of the season.

The Cowboys have a few options at safety in Mike Hamlin and Ball.

Ken Hamlin and Adams did not appear for workouts scheduled for Friday at Valley Ranch.

Hamlin is only 29. I forgot about this fight he was in.

2005 Altercation

Hamlin was involved in an altercation that allegedly took place between himself and two unidentified men in a Seattle nightclub on October 17, 2005.[1] According to a police report, Hamlin and his girlfriend were leaving the club at about 2a.m.[1], several hours after the Seahawks defeated the Houston Texans. Hamlin's girlfriend told officers that he placed a hand on another man's shoulder and said, "Excuse me."[1] The man told Hamlin to stop pushing, and the two men began shoving one another.[1] According to the report, Hamlin punched the man in the face.[1] Another man knocked Hamlin down.[1] Other witnesses told police another man hit Hamlin twice with a street sign.[1]

Hamlin sustained serious injuries to his head due to a blow from a street sign. He was rushed to a local hospital in critical condition with a fractured skull, a small blood clot and bruising of the brain tissue.[1] He was released on October 20, 2005 in stable condition. He didn't play football for the rest of the season.

Does this leave open the door for the Cowboys to trade down for a top LT?? I know they have Free but is he the anwser or will they trade up with another team or the Browns?? I figure the Cowboys owe us a few draft picks after saving them from the Quinn debacle.

Does this leave open the door for the Cowboys to trade down for a top LT?? I know they have Free but is he the anwser or will they trade up with another team or the Browns?? I figure the Cowboys owe us a few draft picks after saving them from the Quinn debacle.

If the Cowboys want one of the top LT's, the #7 might be very appealing to them but to jump 20 or so spots is going to be expensive.

If the Cowboys want one of the top LT's, the #7 might be very appealing to them but to jump 20 or so spots is going to be expensive.

Thier first and a 3rd and Barber would be plenty for me.

Yeah i dont really think it will be us because it will cost them their 1st, 2nd and fill in player but i do see them moving up somewhere in the draft since everyone is in need of a LT. By the time it gets down to their pick in the 1st there will already be 5-6 LT gone (Okung, Trent Williams, Bulaga, Bruce Campbell, Anthony Davis)

I read that the Cowboys cut free safety Ken Hamlin. It was noted that Mike Holmgren drafted him in the 2nd rd in 2002 for Seattle? Should the Browns consider going after him. If so, at what cost? He is still in his 20's and when health seems to have been a solid player. That would free a draft pick for other needs.

Cowgirls fans are all pretty happy he's been cut. We can do better.

It looks like he was cut because he was due several million dollars and he had not maintained his 2007 Pro Bowl level performance. That said, he would still be an up grade of what we have now. I think at the right price he could be an improvement over the likes of Mike Furry. The Dallas fans didn't think he was worth what he was being paid but they seem concerned about how he will be replaced. He did have a good game against the Eagles in the play offs.

Sure he's an upgrade at free safety....its not hard when one is a converted wr, and the other is a converted cb.

That doesn't means he's any good, and will end up watching our future star safety from the pine.

Archived