THE BROWNS BOARD

Couch or Phipps

The Gipper

On my trivia I asked a question about who were the 5 QBs the Browns drafted in the first round. The answers were Harry Agannis, Bobby Garrett, Mike Phipps, Tim Couch, and Brady Quinn. We know what has happened with Quinn, a cup of coffee and out; and here is the dope on Agannis and Garrett: Per Pro Football reference, Agannis did not play at all in the NFL. His name does not appear at all in the records. For Garret, he played all of one year was 15 of 30 for 143 yards, no touchdowns and goodbye football career.

The question I ask here then is, of the First Round QBs that did play here for any real length of time, Mike Phipps and Tim Couch, which one was better? Here are their career stats with the Browns only:

Couch: 62 games. 1025 completions 1714 attempts 59.8%. 11,131 yards. 6.5 yds/att. 64 TDs 3.7 TD%. 67 Ints. 3.9%

a 75.1 QB rating.

Phipps: 88 games. 633 completions in 1317 attempts 48.1%. 7700 yards. 5.8 yds/att. 40 TDs 3.0 TD%. 81 Ints. 6.2%

51.0 rating

Are Phipps poorer numbers a result of playing in a different, more defensive minded, more running oriented time? Or was he just bad.

Who is your choice for the better QB.

And, the relevent question is: given this history, should the Browns stay completely away from drafting a QB in the first round? Once Bitten, Twice Shy and all that? In 60 years, no real gem of a QB in the first round.

Couch was better than Phipps.

Past draft history has no correlation to what happens in the future so I wouldn't let past draft flops sway any decision on a future pick.

It could be said Kosar was a 1st round pick....we had to give up a first round pick to select him.

Couch was better than Phipps.

Past draft history has no correlation to what happens in the future so I wouldn't let past draft flops sway any decision on a future pick.

It could be said Kosar was a 1st round pick....we had to give up a first round pick to select him.

So? You don't believe in this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNeLAS3axKI

Couch for sure!

I wouldn't be so enthusiastic...it wasn't that much better. Had Phipps played in the era Tim did, his numbers would have been close to what Tim posted.

Archived