THE BROWNS BOARD

Interest In Mitchell

Browns57

http://www.daytondailynews.com/dayton-spor...xtype=ynews_rss

Browns showing interest in speed receiver Mitchell

By Carlos “Big C” Holmes, Staff Writer

10:48 PM Sunday, April 4, 2010

The Cleveland Browns are exploring receiver options in the upcoming NFL draft. General Manager Tom Heckert Jr. has a knack for drafting talented and speedy receivers. He was largely responsible for drafting DeSean Jackson and Jeremy Maclin while with Philadelphia. That being said, Heckert could have his eye on yet another speedster.

South Florida wide receiver Carlton Mitchell appears to be of interest to the Browns. He has risen up draft broads since his performances at the Scouting Combine and Pro Day. Mitchell’s increasing value has elevated him to a Top 5 receiver prospect. He’s currently projected as a late first-round to early second-round pick.

Cleveland owns the 38th overall pick just ahead of Oakland, which is also showing interest in Mitchell.

The 6-foot-3, 215-pound Mitchell is attractive to teams due to his rare combination of size, speed and upside. He was clocked as low as 4.40 in the 40-yard dash at the school’s workout last week. The underclassman has outstanding athletic ability and can stretch the field.

“The pro day went very well,” Mitchell said in a recent phone interview. “I was really happy with some of the things I did. I’m very hard on myself so there are some things I felt I could have done better. Overall, I think teams were pleased with my performance.”

Browns representatives were in attendance for the workout and came away impressed with the receiver. The team has been looking for a deep threat since trading Braylon Edwards.

Mitchell was working out in Florida with former Browns quarterback Brady Quinn up until the day Quinn was traded to Denver. He also spent some time training with former Browns receiver Donte’ Stallworth.

“Brady is a cool dude,” Mitchell said. “It’s funny, because at the combine I met with the Browns coach. We went over different formations to see how well I retained information. I was talking to Brady about my meeting and started calling out a few plays. He was surprised and impressed with my knowledge of the offense. We clicked right away during our workout.”

Mitchell feels what he learned from Quinn will give him a leg up on the offense should the team draft him.

“Any information is always good information,” he said. “When he talked to me I was like a sponge absorbing the information. It was the little things we talked about that will help me at the next level. He shared a lot about the organization.

“I know Heckert is well-respected in the business and I’m very aware of him. He is the first GM I learned about of all the teams. I think it would be pretty exciting to play in Cleveland.”

See my depth chart. Browns can really use help at WR.

No doubt.....I like Riley Cooper.....forget the gator homerism....he's going to be a good pro player.

My sleeper receiver is Andre Roberts of The Citadel.....a really good receiver, and being a Citadel player...a tough military school, you know the kid has discipline and is tougher than nails.

Any time you can get a real prospect from a military school, it isn't that often, do it....they can show a lot of people how to cowboy up in a hurry.

I will add a reel....

Archived