THE BROWNS BOARD

WR???

jnuh

man when can we get off this shit of bringing in some old ass guy to be a mentor. don't we have coaches for that? why pay a guy to sit and pat a kid on the head? let's see what the draft brings and let all those bums on the FA WR list go elsewhere.

man when can we get off this shit of bringing in some old ass guy to be a mentor. don't we have coaches for that? why pay a guy to sit and pat a kid on the head? let's see what the draft brings and let all those bums on the FA WR list go elsewhere.

Jerome Harrison would be serving as the director of youth activities at the recreation center of his home town of Kalamzoo, had it not been for the mentoring of Jamal Lewis.

Jerome Harrison would be serving as the director of youth activities at the recreation center of his home town of Kalamzoo, had it not been for the mentoring of Jamal Lewis.

Good point. Although Bernie didn't do a very good job with our QB corp last season, all three were ousted, in addition to himself.

I found stole this blurb from the wire:

"Browns wide receiver Mohamed Massaquoi(notes) is using the offseason conditioning program to get stronger. Massaquoi tied for the team lead with 34 catches last season.

“(I’m) just trying to gain some weight and get a little bit faster, understand the game better,” he told Cleveland Browns.com. “You watch some of the older guys play and they don’t have the abilities that they used to have, but they’re so smart and so sound and so technical that it makes up for all of that.”

Team president Mike Holmgren said he likes the way Massaquoi played in 2009, but he wants to find a speedy receiver in the draft."

First of all it mentions that Momass even recognizes that veteran receivers that have lost their speed, make up for it by being smart and "so technical" that it makes up for it.

Secondly, it hints at Holmgren seeking that speedy receiver that some here have noted.

So, it is safe to say that EVERYONE is right in this thread.

Peace-out!!!

So, how do you link drafting a speedy receiver to holt?

Didn't they say....again....in the conference call that this all-important mentor at wr is not important in their minds? Is a vet mentor necessary at every single position?

Perhaps, mentors get overrated....

So, how do you link drafting a speedy receiver to holt?

Didn't they say....again....in the conference call that this all-important mentor at wr is not important in their minds? Is a vet mentor necessary at every single position?

Perhaps, mentors get overrated....

I linked Holt with Momass' comment of, "You watch some of the older guys play and they don’t have the abilities that they used to have, but they’re so smart and so sound and so technical that it makes up for all of that.”

I linked the speedy receiver with what others in this topic spoke of, which was the call for a speedy receiver.

Basically I mentioned them as two different things, such as you were "speedy" to jump to a conclusion but had you been more veteran like you may have possessed more "smarts" and been more "technically sound" and gotten it right the first time.

I linked Holt with Momass' comment of, "You watch some of the older guys play and they don’t have the abilities that they used to have, but they’re so smart and so sound and so technical that it makes up for all of that.”

I linked the speedy receiver with what others in this topic spoke of, which was the call for a speedy receiver.

Basically I mentioned them as two different things, such as you were "speedy" to jump to a conclusion but had you been more veteran like you may have possessed more "smarts" and been more "technically sound" and gotten it right the first time.

TRANSLATION: I got waxed on the Torry Holt argument when Holmgren said there was no way it would happen ... but since Momass mentioned "older guys" I can pretend I saved face because I think I'm still on that sissy board whence I came.

Zombo

TRANSLATION: I got waxed on the Torry Holt argument when Holmgren said there was no way it would happen ... but since Momass mentioned "older guys" I can pretend I saved face because I think I'm still on that sissy board whence I came.

Zombo

Whatever dude! The comments from Momass about veterans being more crafty to make-up for lost speed nailed exactly what many of us here were trying to tell you. Yeah, let's bring in track stars like the Raiders do, that always works well.

Let the Ravens pick up Holt, like the Bengals did in bringing in 10yr vet Laveranues Coles last season, where he caught more TD's than Massaquoi, Stuckey, Cribbs, Furrey, Braylon & Robiskie did for us COMBINED.

Whatever dude! The comments from Momass about veterans being more crafty to make-up for lost speed nailed exactly what many of us here were trying to tell you. Yeah, let's bring in track stars like the Raiders do, that always works well.

Let the Ravens pick up Holt, like the Bengals did in bringing in 10yr vet Laveranues Coles last season, where he caught more TD's than Massaquoi, Stuckey, Cribbs, Furrey, Braylon & Robiskie did for us COMBINED.

I thought you wanted Holt ... he caught ZERO TD's.

Zombo

--Maybe you are better at defense ... wasn't it great last year how Hank Poteat "mentored" Wright and McDonald?

I thought you wanted Holt ... he caught ZERO TD's.

Zombo

--Maybe you are better at defense ... wasn't it great last year how Hank Poteat "mentored" Wright and McDonald?

Big deal, Momass scored against the Lions and the Raiders. I think Shaun Rogers could have beaten the Lions deep that day.

A veteran brings consistency to the table. Torry Holt had 10 games where he caught 3 or more passes. Momass only had 4 games that he caught 3 or more passes. Holt had 30+ yards in 11 games. Momass had 30+ yards in only 6 games.

In 2 games last year, Momass had 13 receptions for 263 yards.

In the other 13 games, he had only 21 receptions for 361 yards.

That is about as inconsistient as it gets. He could use a good mentor to teach him how to be a pro and strap it on each Sunday.

The Browns were 4-5 in games where Momass only had one catch. But hey, he scored in a loss to the Raiders, a loss to the Lions and grabbed a meaningless score verse San Diego.

How many INT's were thrown in trying to target him? I'd say at least five, maybe more.

The Browns were 4-5 in games where Momass only had one catch.

What does that even mean?

So we were 1-6 in games where he caught more than one, and/or none?

You've done a lot of work here, Todd, let me ask you ... in all of this extrapulation did you find a TD for Torry yet?

Zombo

"TDs for Torry" may replace "Toys for Tots" as the hot new charity...

What does that even mean?

So we were 1-6 in games where he caught more than one, and/or none?

You've done a lot of work here, Todd, let me ask you ... in all of this extrapulation did you find a TD for Torry yet?

Zombo

"TDs for Torry" may replace "Toys for Tots" as the hot new charity...

Torry Holt is 7th among active players in Scoring Receptions with 74 Receiving TD's. He is the same age as Hines Ward and trails him by only 4 career receiving TD's despite playing for down teams and changing teams in recent years. I suppose you wouldn't take Hines Ward either? Ward finally caught and suprassed Holt last season, even though Ward has been in the league one year longer and played in 13 more games.

Torry Holt is 7th among active players in Scoring Receptions with 74 Receiving TD's. He is the same age as Hines Ward and trails him by only 4 career receiving TD's despite playing for down teams and changing teams in recent years. I suppose you wouldn't take Hines Ward either? Ward finally caught and suprassed Holt last season, even though Ward has been in the league one year longer and played in 13 more games.

Not disagreeing with you Bridges, but did you ever tell everyone why you are an expert on WRs? Do you pick a lot of sleeper WRs in your fantasy league? Are you the WR coach for a local HS team? Share your expertise with us.

Not disagreeing with you Bridges, but did you ever tell everyone why you are an expert on WRs? Do you pick a lot of sleeper WRs in your fantasy league? Are you the WR coach for a local HS team? Share your expertise with us.

Haha, figure of speech I guess. I don't think I said I am an expert, I believe I said that I know WR's. With that said, I am not a big fan of Momass. He had one good game last year where he was under the radar and had a breakout (game). I guess I'm not a fan of Robo either and never was when he was playing in the horseshoe either.

Mark me down as one NOT optimistic about our young receiving core. In fact, I don't think we have a receiving core in which to build around.

Haha, figure of speech I guess. I don't think I said I am an expert, I believe I said that I know WR's. With that said, I am not a big fan of Momass. He had one good game last year where he was under the radar and had a breakout (game). I guess I'm not a fan of Robo either and never was when he was playing in the horseshoe either.

Mark me down as one NOT optimistic about our young receiving core. In fact, I don't think we have a receiving core in which to build around.

I really, really disagree with your MoMass take. Historically, rookie WRs put up very similiar numbers to what MoMass did last year. So he is basically par for the course in some cases better that some greats were in their rookie years. The biggest difference is that he had to be the #1 in his rookie year on a team with TERRIBLE QB play and no threat for most of the year anywhere else on the field. He was matched up with the other team's best CB as a rookie and still put up the type of rookie numbers you would expect. He has good hands, he just needs to learn how to fight for the ball a little more and the kid is gonna be really good. He reminds me of a Mushin Muhammud or a Torry Holt. What we need though, is a Steve Smith or a Issac Bruce on the other side. The jury is still out on Robo but it's still too soon to determine if a rookie WR sucks. You can however see if a rookie WR is good, and MoMass looks good. And Stuckey isn't bad either. I can see a MoMass, Stuckey starting lineup.

Heres a list of all WR's selected in order, up to when browns selected Massaquoi. (note all were first rd. selections except Robiskie and Massaquoi)

Player Catches Yards

Darrius Heyward-Bey 9 124

Michael Crabtree 48 625

Jeremy Maclin 56 773

Percy Harvin 60 790

Hakeem Nicks 47 790

Kenny Britt 42 701

Brian Robiskie 7 106

Mohamed Massaquoi 34 624

Bey was picked 7th overall, Robiskie 36th they have about the same stats.

Crabtree 10th overall, Massaquoi 50th we got the same production from two 2nd rounders as two top 10 picks. Bey and Crabtree play in California, in Cleveland its cold and windy so its harder to throw and catch the ball which is why we run it so much late in the season.

Maclin-Mcnabb, Harvin-Favre, Nicks-Manning------self explanatory

We had the worst rated passer in the history of the league and the most overhyped player in the history of the league--DA...Quinn

Look at Massaquoi's yards compared to catches, 18 yds per catch. Harvin who's supposed to be the speedster with a bunch of YAC's only had 13 yds per catch

All in all you put togeather all the circumstances, QB's, weather, how many times thrown to;Massaquoi had the best year out of all rookie WR's drafted before him in my opinion. 2010 is the year Robiskie show's his value now

I really, really disagree with your MoMass take. Historically, rookie WRs put up very similiar numbers to what MoMass did last year. So he is basically par for the course in some cases better that some greats were in their rookie years. The biggest difference is that he had to be the #1 in his rookie year on a team with TERRIBLE QB play and no threat for most of the year anywhere else on the field. He was matched up with the other team's best CB as a rookie and still put up the type of rookie numbers you would expect. He has good hands, he just needs to learn how to fight for the ball a little more and the kid is gonna be really good. He reminds me of a Mushin Muhammud or a Torry Holt. What we need though, is a Steve Smith or a Issac Bruce on the other side. The jury is still out on Robo but it's still too soon to determine if a rookie WR sucks. You can however see if a rookie WR is good, and MoMass looks good. And Stuckey isn't bad either. I can see a MoMass, Stuckey starting lineup.

Nice post. Very, very, good take.

Zombo

--Bridges is a receiver "expert" ... and he doesn't like MoMas???

All I know is that, the AFC North has got some badass WR's, of course we are at the bottom of that of that division. If The Ravens select the Thomas kid from GT, they will be a scary team. So it makes me wonder if we need a Dez Bryant to try and help score some points. I know we won't select him if Berry is there but if Berry is not, it woud be a pretty reasonable pick. I hope we take Bryant over Haden at 7. Also Don't hate on Jake just yet, hate him if he faisl with us and not because he had a bad year last year.

All I know is that, the AFC North has got some badass WR's, of course we are at the bottom of that of that division. If The Ravens select the Thomas kid from GT, they will be a scary team. So it makes me wonder if we need a Dez Bryant to try and help score some points. I know we won't select him if Berry is there but if Berry is not, it woud be a pretty reasonable pick. I hope we take Bryant over Haden at 7. Also Don't hate on Jake just yet, hate him if he faisl with us and not because he had a bad year last year.

how about some DB's that can cover those [badass WR's in the AFC North]or that can at least make tackles!

From Terry Pluto of the Plain Dealer:

"12. If former Jets and Bengals receiver Laveranues Coles still is looking for work this summer, it wouldn't be a shock if the Browns give him a look. He was a disappointment with the Bengals, who paid him $9.5 million for 43 catches (29 first downs) and five touchdowns. He played for Mangini, and they have respect for each other. No matter what the Browns say, they need a veteran receiver. Coles is 32. I'll now make my monthly pitch to sign Torry Holt, the 33-year-old receiver who is available and can help the right team. "

From me:

Wow, I didn't know that the Bengals paid Laveranues Coles that much $, and with this knowledge now I too have soured on Laveranues. I thought he looked good last year, but not at that cost.

Terry Pluto is a Holt fag ... like me!

Archived