THE BROWNS BOARD

Best ever Browns Receivers

Browns57

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/pdf/team/hi...eivingGames.pdf

I was reading this list of Browns receivers with 100 yard games. And I noticed, that if we all agree that Braylon sucked, we havent had a great receiver in a very long time. Not one top notch superstar. (TE don't count) Made me think about the best WR we ever had in Cleveland. Who do you think were a few of the best we ever had?

For me its Warfield, Slaughter, and hmmm....

I was reading this list of Browns receivers with 100 yard games. And I noticed, that if we all agree that Braylon sucked, we havent had a great receiver in a very long time. Not one top notch superstar. (TE don't count) Made me think about the best WR we ever had in Cleveland. Who do you think were a few of the best we ever had?

Reggie Rucker

Before Zombo chimes in with his love of Andre Rison, let me offer that the best was Warfield, and my favorite was Collins. (Dante was before my time). Significant honorable mention to Slaughter.

KJ has been our best in the new era (ouch).

in the 90's: keenan mccardell, michael jackson, derrick alexander. warfield best of all time. te: ozzie. but liked bavarro's head bounce into the end zone. classic.

edit: brian brennan. he was our wayne chrebet/wes welker back in the day.

Dante Lavelli

Gary Collins

Paul Warfield

Brian Brennan

Ozzie Newsome

Dave Logan.....marginal

Ya'll need to bone up on Dante....the guy was great....a HOF player....all Browns fans should know something about the past.....the past is when we were good.

Dave Logan.....marginal

I was merely adding a name not previously mentioned, however he was much more than "marginal." He caught everything thrown his way.

Dante Lavelli

Gary Collins

Paul Warfield

Brian Brennan

Ozzie Newsome

Dave Logan.....marginal

Ya'll need to bone up on Dante....the guy was great....a HOF player....all Browns fans should know something about the past.....the past is when we were good.

His nickname was glue fingers. That should tell you a lot....and it was before they had stickum.

And let's not forget Lavelli's running partner: Mac Speedie. He was a near HOFer. And don't forget Ray Renfro.

In fact, here are the Browns top all time receivers in terms of catches:

1. Ozzie Newsome 662

2. Lavelli.....386

3. Speedie...349

4. Collins....331

5. Greg Pruitt...323

6. Brennan...315

7. Kevin Johnson...315

8. Reggie Rucker..310

9. Slaughter....305

10. Eric Metcalf..297

and here are the top 10 in yardage:

1. Ozzie...7980

2. Lavelli...6488

3. Speedie...5602

4. Renfro...5508

5. Collins....5299

6. Warfield...5210

7. Rucker...4953

8. Slaughter...4834

9. Logan....4247

10. Milt Morin...4208

11. Brennan...4148

Note that since the days of Otto Graham throwing to Lavelli, Speedie and Renfro the Browns have not had a wide receiver gain more yardage than those receivers...even in the pass happy days of the last 30 years.

People forget that what Paul Brown/Graham and those receivers were running was the predecessor of the West Coast offense....both versions. The Don Coryell and the Bill Walsh versions. Paul Brown taught Sid Gillman who taught Don Coryell who coached Dan Fouts/Charlie Joiner/Kellen Winslow. Brown taught Walsh who coached Montana/Rice/Taylor/Clark.

Before all these combos was the combo of Graham to Lavelli/Speedie/Renfro.

Now we have Mike Holmgren running the Browns. He of course was a Bill Walsh disciple. So, perhaps things will now come full circle for the Browns. Not since the days of Blanton Collier have we had someone from the PB tree running things. Now we do. (note also that the next two WRs on the yardage list were players during the Brown/Collier era)

And we also have a guy from the Parcells/Belichick tree as our HC. Here is hoping we can enjoy the bounteous fruits of both trees.

I'm glad Lavelli, Speedie and Renfro are getting some props in this thread. Never forget our history, it's what makes us the Browns.

I always go by "players I've seen play". And while I was young for Warfield (I remember his second stint well though) and very young for Collins, they would be my starters with Webster Slaughter in the slot.

Warfield and Slaughter would cause matchup problems all over the field which Collins, and our tight end Ozzie Newsome, would take adavantage of.

Those are four DAMN good names, right there, and then you throw in the guys from the 50's and we have a pretty good crew of hands.

Zombo

I was merely adding a name not previously mentioned, however he was much more than "marginal." He caught everything thrown his way.

I know he was more than marginal in the context you seem to have taken it.....that was said in reference to great.....not good or poor.

I know he was more than marginal in the context you seem to have taken it.....that was said in reference to great.....not good or poor.

No problem...I was at the game in 1980 when he caught a TD vs Green Bay from Sipe with about 10 seconds to go, the place went totally nuts. Remember that Sports Illustrated cover of Logan (one hand catch) vs. the dreaded Steelers in that wild game we lost?

Before Zombo chimes in with his love of Andre Rison, let me offer that the best was Warfield, and my favorite was Collins. (Dante was before my time). Significant honorable mention to Slaughter.

KJ has been our best in the new era (ouch).

Joe J has been the most dependable imo

Braylon is the most talented we've had in a long time but he let his ego and selfishness get in the way of his game and couldn't catch the ball any longer.

Hopefully Holmgren & co. bring in some legitimate young WR's who we can develop into stars.

I HATED Slaughter ...much like you guys Hate Ward. The TRUE Mark of a Stud player. When your rival fans HATE you !!

I would definitely have hated Web if he wasn't a Brown. He had some nob in him.

You stain morons. Anyone who knows football knows that ozzie newsome was a coward who hardly ever went over the middle and when he did he went down right away. And this is the last clown to make it in the HOF. Typical cleveland puking. :lol:

Pretty funny for a frakking idjit who can't get simple facts straight. Let's start with the fact that, yea, the HOF alway puts cowards in who won't go over the middle....like Lynn Swann and John Stallworth, right?

Fact 2: In the era post-Steeler's 1970s dynasty, the Browns have had more players who played for them make the HOF than the Steelers have. The Steelers have exactly one: Rod Woodson. The Browns have 2: Newsome and Joe DeLammelleure. Fact 3: Newsome is by no means the last player who played for the Browns to be inducted into the HOF. We have the aforementioned Joe D. Gene Hickerson was inducted a couple of years ago. Dick LeBeau who is going in this year was drafted by the Browns (but admittedly only had a cup of coffee with them). And going back to pre-Browns Cleveland area football days we have had both Benny Friedman who played for the Cleveland Bulldogs and Fritz Pollard of the Akron Pros be inducted. All these guys put in since Ozzie.

It funny how stupid people say stupid things because they are ignorant of facts.

Pretty funny for a frakking idjit who can't get simple facts straight. Let's start with the fact that, yea, the HOF alway puts cowards in who won't go over the middle....like Lynn Swann and John Stallworth, right?

Fact 2: In the era post-Steeler's 1970s dynasty, the Browns have had more players who played for them make the HOF than the Steelers have. The Steelers have exactly one: Rod Woodson. The Browns have 2: Newsome and Joe DeLammelleure. Fact 3: Newsome is by no means the last player who played for the Browns to be inducted into the HOF. We have the aforementioned Joe D. Gene Hickerson was inducted a couple of years ago. Dick LeBeau who is going in this year was drafted by the Browns (but admittedly only had a cup of coffee with them). And going back to pre-Browns Cleveland area football days we have had both Benny Friedman who played for the Cleveland Bulldogs and Fritz Pollard of the Akron Pros be inducted. All these guys put in since Ozzie.

It funny how stupid people say stupid things because they are ignorant of facts.

What a funny coincidence, the Buffalo bills had a guy named Joe DeLammelleure inducted into the hall of fame also. Can you believe it? The Buffalo Joe D's presenter was a Buffalo sportscaster named Larry Felser. Its a small world. Who are you (as a stain fan) going to claim is clown hof'er next? Jerry rice caused he played a game at cleveland? Talk about hard up. Thats ok, you can go back 70 years when there was no fase mask and six teams in the league if that gives you comfort. What a hick. :lol:

Here are a couple of other facts for you:

1) Don't know about swan & stallworth, but Ozzie was a chicken shit. 600 of his receptions were at the sidelines.

2) Jim clown, I mean brown, the woman beater, playered when he out weighed 90 percent of the linebackers he faced. If he played now a days he would be like a ruban drougins. Stain homer. :lol: :lol: :lol:

What a funny coincidence, the Buffalo bills had a guy named Joe DeLammelleure inducted into the hall of fame also. Can you believe it? The Buffalo Joe D's presenter was a Buffalo sportscaster named Larry Felser. Its a small world. Who are you (as a stain fan) going to claim is clown hof'er next? Jerry rice caused he played a game at cleveland? Talk about hard up. Thats ok, you can go back 70 years when there was no fase mask and six teams in the league if that gives you comfort. What a hick. :lol:

Here are a couple of other facts for you:

1) Don't know about swan & stallworth, but Ozzie was a chicken shit. 600 of his receptions were at the sidelines.

2) Jim clown, I mean brown, the woman beater, playered when he out weighed 90 percent of the linebackers he faced. If he played now a days he would be like a ruban drougins. Stain homer. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Again, you demonstrate your ignorance. Here is the listing taken directly from the Hall of Fame website on the Cleveland Browns players inducted into the HOF:

Doug Atkins (1953-1954)

Paul Brown (1946-1962)

Jim Brown (1957-1965)

Willie Davis (1958-1959)

Len Dawson (1960-1961)

Joe DeLamielleure (1980-1984)

Len Ford (1950-1957)

Frank Gatski (1946-1956)

Otto Graham (1946-1955)

Lou Groza (1946-1959, 1961-1967)

Gene Hickerson (1958-1973)

Henry Jordan (1957-1958)

Leroy Kelly (1964-1973)

Dante Lavelli (1946-1956)

Mike McCormack (1954-1962)

Tommy McDonald (1968)

Bobby Mitchell (1958-1961)

Marion Motley (1946-1953)

Ozzie Newsome (1978-1990)

Paul Warfield (1964-1969, 1976-1977)

Bill Willis (1946-1953)

Not that Joe D. is on there. Not only is he on there, but he is listed as a "primary" of the Cleveland Browns. Here is the link to the sight. You can actually do something you haven't done this millenium: read and learn something.

http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/teams.aspx

As for going back 70 years, so what. We have to go back 40 years for most of the Steelers players who made the HOF? What is the real difference to today, 40/70 years?

As far as Jim Brown was concerned....yes, he was bigger and badder and better than everyone else. Hell, he was bigger, badder, and better than any running backs playing today. Do you want to do more reading and compare his stats?

Again, you demonstrate your ignorance. Here is the listing taken directly from the Hall of Fame website on the Cleveland Browns players inducted into the HOF:

Doug Atkins (1953-1954)

Paul Brown (1946-1962)

Jim Brown (1957-1965)

Willie Davis (1958-1959)

Len Dawson (1960-1961)

Joe DeLamielleure (1980-1984)

Len Ford (1950-1957)

Frank Gatski (1946-1956)

Otto Graham (1946-1955)

Lou Groza (1946-1959, 1961-1967)

Gene Hickerson (1958-1973)

Henry Jordan (1957-1958)

Leroy Kelly (1964-1973)

Dante Lavelli (1946-1956)

Mike McCormack (1954-1962)

Tommy McDonald (1968)

Bobby Mitchell (1958-1961)

Marion Motley (1946-1953)

Ozzie Newsome (1978-1990)

Paul Warfield (1964-1969, 1976-1977)

Bill Willis (1946-1953)

Not that Joe D. is on there. Not only is he on there, but he is listed as a "primary" of the Cleveland Browns. Here is the link to the sight. You can actually do something you haven't done this millenium: read and learn something.

http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/teams.aspx

As for going back 70 years, so what. We have to go back 40 years for most of the Steelers players who made the HOF? What is the real difference to today, 40/70 years?

As far as Jim Brown was concerned....yes, he was bigger and badder and better than everyone else. Hell, he was bigger, badder, and better than any running backs playing today. Do you want to do more reading and compare his stats?

"Do you want to do more reading and compare his stats?"

No , you win :angry:

Archived