THE BROWNS BOARD

Connecticut State Capitol To Fly Flag Adopted By Tea Party

Connecticut State Capitol To Fly Flag Adopted By Tea Party

The Hartford Courant April 8, 2010

Emblem of a divisive and controversial political movement or historic symbol of American defiance?

Those are two views of the Gadsden Flag, the bright yellow banner adorned with the image of a coiled rattlesnake and the words "Don't Tread on Me."

The flag has been adopted by tea party activists, who have unfurled it at rallies across the nation, and some Republican members of Congress, who hung it from a balcony at the U.S. Capitol before a vote on the health care overhaul.

On Friday, the flag will fly over the state Capitol — and that doesn't sit well with one veteran lawmaker.

"Generally speaking, most people would agree the top of the Capitol is not the place for partisan political flags," said state Rep. Michael Lawlor, a Democrat from East Haven and co-chairman of the legislature's judiciary committee.

The Connecticut Tea Party Patriots, a loose-knit group of activists from across the state, received permission from the state Capitol police to fly the flag from Friday through April 15.

The state's policy regarding flags specifies that only flags from the U.S., its states or territories, recognized Indian tribes, nations with which the U.S. has diplomatic relations and military organizations can fly at the highly visible spot over the state Capitol.

The Gadsden Flag dates to 1775 and is named for Christopher Gadsden, a delegate to the Continental Congress. It has long been associated with the U.S. Marine Corps, and that apparently was why it got the Capitol OK.

"It is within the parameters set within the policy," said Walter Lee, acting chief of the Capitol police department. "It is a recognized military flag."

Lawlor said the flag is now associated with the tea party movement. The group will gather for a flag-raising ceremony Friday, and afterward candidates endorsed by the Connecticut Tea Party Patriots will host a press conference. "It doesn't sound like this is an event honoring the Marine Corps," Lawlor said.

Patriots coordinator Tanya Bachand rejects the notion that her group has a partisan agenda, even though it is supporting candidates in the November election. She says the group isn't allied with Republicans or Democrats, but rather is focused on promoting grass-roots activism.

"It's a nice encapsulation of the American spirit," Bachand said. "We are a strong-willed, independent people and given the chance, we can flourish."

The debate harkens back to another flag controversy that erupted at the Capitol in 1999.

Gay rights received permission to fly the rainbow flag, which drew criticism from socially conservative lawmakers and resulted in the policy limiting what flags can be hoisted at the highly visible spot. The Capitol flagpole "really should be limited to honoring countries and causes that are completely non-partisan and non controversial,'' Lawlor said.

Copyright © 2010,

UPDATE

Gadsden Flag Will Not Be Flown Over State Capitol

By DANIELA ALTIMARI The Hartford Courant

Tea Party activists won't be permitted to fly the Gadsden Flag over the state Capitol after all.

State Capitol police today reversed an earlier decision to allow the bright yellow "Don't Tread On Me" banner to flutter from the highly visible flagpole after learning that activists had planned a political rally following the flag-raising ceremony.

"It went from being a flag-raising ceremony to a political event,'' Acting Capitol police Chief Walter Lee said. "They are using it as a launching pad for [candidates for] public office."

Tea Party activists view the flag as a historic symbol of American defiance, but critics say the familiar flag with the image of a coiled rattlesnake is now associated with the controversial political movement.

Tea Party groups have unfurled it at rallies across the nation, and some Republican members of Congress, who hung it from a balcony at the U.S. Capitol before a vote on the health care overhaul.

"Generally speaking, most people would agree the top of the Capitol is not the place for partisan political flags," said state Rep. Michael Lawlor, a Democrat from East Haven and co-chairman of the legislature's judiciary committee.

The Connecticut Tea Party Patriots, a loose-knit group of activists from across the state, had received permission from the state Capitol police to fly the flag from Friday through April 15.

The state's policy regarding flags specifies that only flags from the U.S., its states or territories, recognized Indian tribes, nations with which the U.S. has diplomatic relations and military organizations can fly at the highly visible spot over the state Capitol.

The Gadsden Flag dates to 1775 and is named for Christopher Gadsden, a delegate to the Continental Congress. It has long been associated with the U.S. Marine Corps, and that apparently was why it got the Capitol OK.

Lee said he initially granted permission because the flag is a symbol of the U.S. Marine Corps. The Tea Party group had wanted to fly it in connection with Patriots Day.

But permission was recinded when he learned that the Connecticut Tea Party Patriots was plannign to host a press conference with political candidates after the flag-raising.

Said Lawlor, "It doesn't sound like this is an event honoring the Marine Corps.''

Patriots coordinator Tanya Bachand rejects the notion that her group has a partisan agenda, even though it is supporting candidates in the November election. She says the group isn't allied with Republicans or Democrats, but rather is focused on promoting grass-roots activism.

"It's a nice encapsulation of the American spirit," Bachand said. "We are a strong-willed, independent people and given the chance, we can flourish."

The debate harkens back to another flag controversy that erupted at the Capitol in 1999.

Gay rights received permission to fly the rainbow flag, which drew criticism from socially conservative lawmakers and resulted in the policy limiting what flags can be hoisted at the highly visible spot. The Capitol flagpole "really should be limited to honoring countries and causes that are completely non-partisan and non controversial,'' Lawlor said.

The meaning of the flag, is what is important.

But, I can't fault the decision to disallow the flying of it to become

a political football at the capital.

but we are in a values/principles culture "war",

and the tea party Americans are under attack at every turn,

for standing by their principles and values.

Under attack, by those who have no principles or values.

"Don't Tread on Me" - absolutely.

.......I can't fault the decision to disallow the flying of it to become a political football at the capital.

I agree, Cal.

Interesting that the 'Rainbow' flag was raised over the Capital a few years ago - I can't remember if there was a 'meeting' at the Capital that day. That activity, however, resulted in the rules that now pertain to what can and what cannot fly over the State Capital.

PS I wonder if Mr. Lawlor felt the 'Rainbow' flag represented partisan politics. I venture to guess he did not.

They more than likely flew the rainbow flag, so they would not draw any criticism from CNN.

What is funny is, I never knew that queers adopted the rainbow as their coded badge or whatever until about ten years ago. No wonder they were always trying to steal my unicorn. lol

IMO I feel that some of the state law makers want the Gadsden Flag to fly, but since there are some who want to make this a political event. Why would they want to aid their competition.

To bad the flag wont fly.

Archived