THE BROWNS BOARD

Trent Dilfer

htownbrown

Bradford selection 'catastrophic'?

April, 7, 2010 Apr 72:39PM ETEmail Print Share By Mike SandoTrent Dilfer's interview with 101ESPN St. Louis is worth a listen for those interested in a different take on quarterbacks.

[+] EnlargeTim Heitman/US Presswire

Quarterback Sam Bradford is an extremely raw prospect according to ESPN's Trent Dilfer.Dilfer thinks the Rams would be best off taking defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh first overall, then trading up from the 33rd pick to select Colt McCoy as their quarterback. He thinks Jimmy Clausen is by far the best college quarterback right now. He thinks Sam Bradford faces a tough transition. He sees McCoy as the player most likely to develop into the best quarterback from this draft.

What does Dilfer know? Well, he's played the position and studied the players. Dilfer said he has watched every 2009 snap from all three quarterbacks -- two and three times in some cases -- using a template he developed with input from Mike Holmgren, Brian Billick, Jim Zorn and others.

"This is my passion," Dilfer said during the interview.

Dilfer attributes Bradford's perceived rise to hype and misinformation from personnel people with agendas.

"In my opinion," Dilfer said of Bradford, "he is not even close to the best player in this draft."

Dilfer sees Bradford as extremely raw and a player who hasn't performed in a system even remotely close to the ones preferred by NFL teams. He thinks Bradford's accuracy falls off as the Oklahoma quarterback goes through his reads.

Further, drafting Bradford could be a "catastrophic mistake" for the Rams if they did not handle him properly.

"Bradford is a talented guy," Dilfer said. "I understand why the perception has become what it is -- because he looks good in shorts. But that is the way he has played football, too. He has played in a 7-on-7 environment, not an 11-on-11 environment."

McCoy's competitiveness, leadership and athletic ability to extend plays will set him apart over time, Dilfer predicted.

I'll be saving the link from this item for future reference.

Note: As Lori indicates via Facebook and as Dilfer mentioned in the interview, he has worked out with McCoy. They share the same agent, David Dunn.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>

So he says he used a template that examines QBs that he developed from real QB evaluators like Holmgren, yet MH wants nothing to do with Clausen. Good job Trent!

April, 7, 2010 Apr 72:39PM ETEmail Print Share By Mike SandoTrent Dilfer's interview with 101ESPN St. Louis is worth a listen for those interested in a different take on quarterbacks.

Quarterback Sam Bradford is an extremely raw prospect according to ESPN's Trent Dilfer.Dilfer thinks the Rams would be best off taking defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh first overall, then trading up from the 33rd pick to select Colt McCoy as their quarterback. He thinks Jimmy Clausen is by far the best college quarterback right now. He thinks Sam Bradford faces a tough transition. He sees McCoy as the player most likely to develop into the best quarterback from this draft.

What does Dilfer know? Well, he's played the position and studied the players. Dilfer said he has watched every 2009 snap from all three quarterbacks -- two and three times in some cases -- using a template he developed with input from Mike Holmgren, Brian Billick, Jim Zorn and others.

Dilfer attributes Bradford's perceived rise to hype and misinformation from personnel people with agendas.

"In my opinion," Dilfer said of Bradford, "he is not even close to the best player in this draft."

Dilfer sees Bradford as extremely raw and a player who hasn't performed in a system even remotely close to the ones preferred by NFL teams. He thinks Bradford's accuracy falls off as the Oklahoma quarterback goes through his reads.

Further, drafting Bradford could be a "catastrophic mistake" for the Rams if they did not handle him properly.

"Bradford is a talented guy," Dilfer said. "I understand why the perception has become what it is -- because he looks good in shorts. But that is the way he has played football, too. He has played in a 7-on-7 environment, not an 11-on-11 environment."

McCoy's competitiveness, leadership and athletic ability to extend plays will set him apart over time, Dilfer predicted.

Note: As Lori indicates via Facebook and as Dilfer mentioned in the interview, he has worked out with McCoy. They share the same agent, David Dunn.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>

So he says he used a template that examines QBs that he developed from real QB evaluators like Holmgren, yet MH wants nothing to do with Clausen. Good job Trent!

I am no NFL or college expert but I would have to agree with Trent when he says that Bradford isn't even close to the best player in the draft, and that McCoy would be the QB that he would like the Rams to draft. McCoy and Tebow will be the two best QB's out of this draft IMO. Some team. Hopefully us will draft one of the two and will be very successful while the Rams continue to suck for years to come. Just think what might have been if we would have taken McNabb instead of Couch.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>

well no talent evaluator is going to give away all his secrets of evaluation; also spotting talent too is a skill that sometimes comes naturally. Trent apparently does not have both and he is using a template to reach his conclusions. It may be true; it may not too. But, i have a feeling that getting ideas from different people and putting together ur own template does not always translate into having the right template to evaluate.

I agree with all of it except the Clausen part. However, we really need St. Louis to take Bradford or we can kiss Colt McCoy goodbye. And he's the one I like the most out of this class. If St. Louis Doesn't take Bradoford, expect to see some leap-frogging going on towards the end of the first round to get McCoy.

Also, I have bee reevaluating the DBs in this draft and because of the depth, I can see us trading back further and further if Berry isn't there. Because we may want to grab Colt late in the 1st round if we really want him. The problem I have with this is, I HATE the idea of taking a QB in the 1st round but the scenerio seems very possible as the Colt fanclub starts to grow.

However, we really need St. Louis to take Bradford or we can kiss Colt McCoy goodbye. And he's the one I like the most out of this class. If St. Louis Doesn't take Bradoford, expect to see some leap-frogging going on towards the end of the first round to get McCoy.

Exactly my thoughts. If Bradford isn't taken by the Rams, I don't see McCoy lasting past the 33rd pick which means anyone with interest may have to trade up to get him. It's a little higher than you'd like to take Colt but I suppose that depends on what your talent evaluators tell you.

Trent needs to shut up before he removes any doubt as to what an idiot he is....

I am no NFL or college expert but I would have to agree with Trent when he says that Bradford isn't even close to the best player in the draft, and that McCoy would be the QB that he would like the Rams to draft. McCoy and Tebow will be the two best QB's out of this draft IMO. Some team. Hopefully us will draft one of the two and will be very successful while the Rams continue to suck for years to come. Just think what might have been if we would have taken McNabb instead of Couch.

nothing

Archived