THE BROWNS BOARD

SANTONIO HOLMES: Definition of a Steeler

Riffer X

Gip, steroids have been traced to athletics as early as the '30s and '40s. I don't think it's unreasonable to believe in the possibility they'd been tried out by pro athletes in the '50s.

And let's face it -- Mr. Brown fits EXACTLY Flugel's Frankenplayer profile. If he'd worn a Steeler uniform, Flakey would be all over the guy for 'roid use. It's just that he wore the home colors, so Flakey looks the other way. All the while ripping the Rooneys for their "hypocrisy" and "double standards." Cute huh? Yeah, just plain adorable.

You know what's nice about NFL history? Teams that don't have to hide shit don't have to edit realities like casket counts, rape, assalts, excessive HGH purchases on the staff.

When you keep coming back here - I get the impression you want to win his very first sports debate. When the facts get too overwhelming for you - you bolt like usual. 6-pack, if you want to communicate the way humans do - READ what I write and don't edit it into what you WANT me to say.

I don't know that you or the most avid Steeler fans sickened by the reality are ever gonna present a stronger arguement against roid pollution in pro football than Steve Courson. What you HATED in my initial arguement was my choice of words that the Steelers PIONEERED the most widespread team abuse of steroids in what was labelled the dark ages of pro football. I'm the mail man, not the Christopher Columbus of the message. It's nothing more than a paraphrase of Courson saying he gave up the rings because he couldn't live with the guilt of how they were attained. It was a while ago, but I think he also said Mike Webster so you get the impression there was some linger unrest emotionally and mentally with it all. READ the book and you'll either resort to denial as your coping mechanism or you'll say these guys really were ratty role models for next generations.

In the early 60s San Diego had a couple guys taking shortcuts; but the Steelers had every olinemen and even some backups benching over 500 pounds and 3 dlinemen that could do it. They even had TEs gaining 60-70 pounds to start at OT (Larry Brown).

Again, Courson's book was about shame and sending the wrong message to the next generation of junkie (Haslett and Romanowski that both cited the Steelers as their role models coincidentally enough).

This has always been an easy arguement to win if you don't agree with unethical standards. And what I know about an NFL Strength & Conditioning Program anyway? My entire Corporate Fitness Staff at Xerox worked partime/volunteer in the TB Bucs program back in 97, 98 & 99. Some got paid some volunteered like interns.

- Tom F.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

“To say that anabolic steroids didn't play a role in the Steelers' success would be a falsehood. But this isn't a Steelers problem. It's a league-wide problem. ... No one ever told me not to use or take steroids, or suggested I was killing myself.”

go play in the street....

edit: you guys are capable of some impressive mental gymnastics to convince yourselves its was ok. "well, everyone else did it"....

you completely miss the point.

JoeSucksYak doesn't make any sense, and he probably has a big, worn out poster of

Ben Gay Rothlicksburgerthenfollowsandattackswomen on his wall.

The stink from 3 stinkers stadium is enough to make steeler fans stay home, or wear

gas masks when they do go to a game.

You're not some "expert" -- you're just some hypocrite on a message board. Spare me the holier-than-thou.

Poor Joe - another unsuccessful trip to center ice. You REALLY wanted this one. I've been on your mind for so long - you've named your favorite body parts after me. I'm flattered someone thinks about me this much - actions couldn't be more complimentary.

There's a shrink somewhere in Pittsburgh getting paid dearly to learn how Joe thinks about Flugel. This has an adorable National Lampoon quality to it.

- Tom F.

Ben Gay Rothlicksburgerthenfollowsandattackswomen on his wall.

You know what the most precious thing about it all is? 100% of the Steeler fans are absolutely CRUSHED they've invested all this time on idolizing their Clumsy Rapist and Santonio Holmes. It's their 2 biggest SB heroes so today they're all in here exercising their denial and coping skills. Arguing with Browns' fans doesn't make either guy more human or humane; but it sure is a NICE diversion from the reality of it all.

Anytime we get jerks like Stallworth - archive my opinions and you'll see I want em gone. I never liked Tucker when he went AWOL on us and when I saw his comeback was all about the roids - it only validated my negative opinion of him.

If I want to root for convicts that get special priviledges because they're good at football - I'll watch "the Longest Yard." I've always had the opportunity to be a Steeler fan. Then again, you HAVE to like the people you're rooting for right? If they're all cheating and sticking needles in their fannies - it removes my appreciation of the human performance part of the game I grew fond of.

- Tom F.

Archived