THE BROWNS BOARD

Restricted Free Agent Problem come April 15th

kamac19

Cleveland Browns May Have a Restricted Free Agent Problem After April 15

Daniel Wolf by

Daniel Wolf

Written on April 10, 2010

April 15th is quickly approaching, and this is not tax talk, but for the Cleveland Browns and their restricted free agents (RFA).

The Browns originally had six RFA's that they tendered on March 4, each with a second round price on their heads.

Those tendered included: safety Abram Elam, running back Jerome Harrison, fullback Lawrence Vickers, inside linebacker D'Qwell Jackson, linebacker Jason Trusnik, and outside linebacker Matt Roth.

Of all those names, only Trusnik has signed his tender offer back on March 12.

Jackson and his representation have been very vocal and unhappy with the fact the Browns are not giving him a long-term contract, but he has been the only player to voice his opinion on this matter.

To quickly clarify, if another team makes an offer to any of these remaining tendered players, the Browns can match the offer to retain said player, or let him go and get the second round pick of the signing team.

Now this is good until April 15.

After April 15, all tendered players have only three options, since another team can no longer sign them, and the team who has the players' rights has one option also.

First, the player can holdout. This will obviously hurt that player's value, and add to a bit of questioning about their character too.

Second, the player can sign their tender offer for a one-year deal at the market value for that particular position. This makes sense, unless a player is looking for a long-term deal. Otherwise, this particular move could lead to an extended holdout.

Third, the player can try to settle for a long-term deal (or perhaps just another deal) that would keep them with the team.

The fourth option, which is more a front office option, is to trade away the player to another team willing to negotiate a contract with the former restricted free agent.

Confused a bit?

That can happen, but the bottom line for the Browns is to take care of each and everyone of these players, since they all bring a good positive energy and youth to a rebuilding Browns team.

Is there on of these players that could possibly get traded on draft day?

Yes, and that could be Jackson.

What needs to be done to prevent losing some of these good young players?

The front office needs to prioritize getting some contracts settled with them before it's too late and they start angering talent who is the future of the team.

Bleacher Report Link

I cant Honestly say I know the implications this is going to raise for us, possibly if we don't sign some of these guys it will change the way our front office have to think about Draft Day, like if Harrison doesn't sign, do we look more into signing Spiller at #7 if Berry is already of the board

Kind of appears that we've covered-our-asses with some of the acqusisitions this off-season. The recent addition of LB Chris Gocong may spell a departure with DQwell. And by bringing in Peyton Hillis, we now have a similar player to Lawrence Vickers making him expendable.

I'd hate to see Vickers go, although am eagerly excited to see Hillis play the same role. Vickers has really came on though and played with a lot of heart last season.

D'Qwell Jackson, I'm guessing is gone. There is no way we give him the longterm deal he seeks, and no one is lining up to lure him away either. He will most likely be a draft day trade.

Abram Elam, I could do without, but isn't Mangini really high on him? Eric Berry would easily replace him though, if drafted.

Jerome Harrison, is an interesting story. I wouldn't shed a tear if we replaced him with great prospect. I just don't see us departing with him at this point.

Jason Trusni just fits here. I like this guys hustle and heart, and outside linebacker Matt Roth has got to be the one to get the long term deal, IMO, unless the guy is truly a headcase behind the scenes.

Very interesting on all fronts.

Kind of appears that we've covered-our-asses with some of the acqusisitions this off-season. The recent addition of LB Chris Gocong may spell a departure with DQwell. And by bringing in Peyton Hillis, we now have a similar player to Lawrence Vickers making him expendable.

I'd hate to see Vickers go, although am eagerly excited to see Hillis play the same role. Vickers has really came on though and played with a lot of heart last season.

D'Qwell Jackson, I'm guessing is gone. There is no way we give him the longterm deal he seeks, and no one is lining up to lure him away either. He will most likely be a draft day trade.

Abram Elam, I could do without, but isn't Mangini really high on him? Eric Berry would easily replace him though, if drafted.

Jerome Harrison, is an interesting story. I wouldn't shed a tear if we replaced him with great prospect. I just don't see us departing with him at this point.

Jason Trusni just fits here. I like this guys hustle and heart, and outside linebacker Matt Roth has got to be the one to get the long term deal, IMO, unless the guy is truly a headcase behind the scenes.

Very interesting on all fronts.

I couldn't care less if Vickers leaves. Sure, he is a good blocker....what else can he do.

If we want a blocking FB, just stick a reserve guard back there.

I think the browns blew it. I think they hoped someone would go after a few of these guys.....we should have tendered a 3rd and taken the picks.

Trusnik is at best a backup and elam can be easily replaced by any walk on guy...jackson could do better elsewhere and meet his full potential in a 4-3 defense..vickers has turned into one helluva blocking back and harrison adds a one two punch in the backfield but cant carry the whole load...

Overall we could lose them all including trusnik and still be alright...this regime has done a good job covering the essentials but im still concerned at safety and CB..

IMO: unless they are pro bowl caliber players I wouldnt spend a ton of cash on them.

Abram Elam, see ya later

Jerome Harrison, sign him

Lawrence Vickers, trade him

D'Qwell Jackson, sign or trade him

Jason Trusnik, undecided

Matt Roth, sign him

Elam...We haven't seen enough. What can he do with better talent playing WITH him?

Harrison...Over the course of a season, needs a running mate.

Vickers...Good blocker, but no threat otherwise. I think Hillis takes his spot. Ooh, H&H in the backfield sounds interesting, or maybe HD (Heavy Duty or Hillis/Davis)

Jackson...Has trade value..We'll see.

Trusnik...Plays hard & is versatile.

Roth...PLEASE sign this kid, unless he's a clubhouse cancer & I haven't heard that he's a problem.

Once again, we are seeing these things develop in a much different manner than in the past. Given all our previous failures, this may just be a GOOD thing! After all, we sure did need change.

Mike

First of all Trusnick was the only one to sign his tender and to be honest I was suprised he got the same tender as Harrison, Roth and DQJ.

Really no need to panic about this, the FO is getting ready for the draft and can concentrate on getting these guys signed after the draft. The team is really in the driver's seat so to speak by tendering them as RFA's.

Elam - For lack of a better replacement will be resigned but the Browns probably need to look for a better option here and need more depth at safety.

Harrison - I would want to sign this guy to 2 yr contract with an option on a 3rd and see how he handles the grind of being the starter over the course of a full season.

Vickers - Like him and think he really started to excell last year but with the addition of Hillis may be expendable and might be traded or released.

Jackson - Trade bait in the draft. Proved last year to be over rated when he went down and others stepped in and did well. Now his agent is making noise? C-ya!

Roth - I hope we can get a long term deal on this guy done, was a stud down the stretch last year and seems to be the one of the starters at OLB for years to come.

From Terry Pluto of the Cleveland Plain Dealer:

10. In case you were wondering if the Browns have cooled on Lawrence Vickers -- especially after dealing for Peyton Hillis -- it's true Mangini wants to see more of Hillis carrying the ball, a bruising alternative to Jerome Harrison. But the Browns love Vickers for his blocking, which they say deserves some of the credit for breaking Harrison loose at the end of the season. Vickers also has become close to members of the coaching staff, after being somewhat distant early in the season. He's a restricted free agent, and the Browns want to keep him in an important role.

Cool, there seems to be a possiblity that we keep both Vickers & Hillis. I like this idea because it means that we would be giving Hillis a legit shot at carrying the rock in more of arunning back mode, instead of just as a FB. I see all kinds of creative packagaing of Harrison, Davis, and Hillis, with Vickers leading with blocks.

I can't believe how lukewarm you guys are on Vickers, he is awesome.

Yeah ... just stick a guard back there ... ???

Vickers is one of the best fullbacks in the league. Hillis is mor of a hybrid.

Vickers can power the way for both Harrison and Hillis anybody else ... he's a hammer, and very athletic.

Zombo

I can't believe how lukewarm you guys are on Vickers, he is awesome.

Yeah ... just stick a guard back there ... ???

Vickers is one of the best fullbacks in the league. Hillis is mor of a hybrid.

Vickers can power the way for both Harrison and Hillis anybody else ... he's a hammer, and very athletic.

Zombo

For once I am going to have to agree with you here Z. Imagine Hillis running the ball with Vickers in front.

I'm a big Vickers fan and would like to see him used more catching the ball. He is a good athlete and has had some drops, but I think they weren't from bad hands but just trying to run too soon. It also didn't help that he had two QB's who couldn't complete a dump off.

Hillis is a hybrid and a big time receiver out of the backfield who runs hard. They can have some good goal line and short yardage packages with Vickers and Hillis back there.

I'm a big Vickers fan and would like to see him used more catching the ball. He is a good athlete and has had some drops, but I think they weren't from bad hands but just trying to run too soon. It also didn't help that he had two QB's who couldn't complete a dump off.

Hillis is a hybrid and a big time receiver out of the backfield who runs hard. They can have some good goal line and short yardage packages with Vickers and Hillis back there.

Vickers is a very good receiver out of the back field for a FB. When Hillis was firts mentioned as being involved in the trade and coming here, I read his scouting report and it sounded like it was written for Vickers. After watching more film on Hillis, he's more of a big running back, and also has great hands. Vickers is steam roller, and should have had more short yardage plays written for him in years past and should have been dumped off to to keep defenses honest.

Zombo

Maybe we should take the WR's off the field and lineup all 3 Vickers, Hillis & Harrison. We can modify the old wing T.

Well these guys are more than likely to be able to catch a football better than the group of bums we now have at WR.

I pray the WR's have a breakout year under Delhome.

Vickers is the man. He plows the road and is a huge reason why our run game did the 180 the last 4 games of the season.

I really hope he stays. I would like to see him get the ball more and pound on LB's and DB's. The power run game is key to chipping away at a defense.

But I said that last season and called for Harrison early also and was told I was a moron by more than one person on here.

I'm hopeful they choose to retain the services of everyone but D'Qwell and i'd take him back if you can get him to fall in line as well. (I'm still not convinced how good or bad he is and would like to see him out there with an improving team)

I think if you wish to run the football with authority, you look to keep Vickers around and hell, i don't know, actually run the guy near the goaline or short yardage a bit?

Archived