THE BROWNS BOARD

Holmes Trade...Biggest Rip Ever?

PlayoffsIN09

Since the NFL's rule on suspension is rather vague when not talking about players who committ crimes it would be up to the judge to decide whether or not celebrating your birthday by being under super vision of two body guards and getting drunk falls under that rule. The league almost never punishes a player who didn't committ a crime or didn't complain about refs or other league actions. I'm not saying it isn't allowed, but it's rarely done. One reason is the league has a very specific list of detrimental behavior, if it doesn't specifically fall on the list it's likely becuase it's bordline at best. If it is bordline and not specifically mentioned as punishable it could lead to far to many expensive lawsuits, which would also be detrimental to the league. Goodell is meeting with Ben this week to discuss this incident and Ben's actions in general. If Ben ignores Goodell's advice then at that point a suspension or other punishment would be warranted and most likely handed out.

Well, if it is left up to a "judge" that judge will likely be Roger Goodell. If Goodell does punish him, I suppose that BR on his own....WITHOUT the aid or support of the NFLPA could attempt to file a suit to block the discipline, but likely upon a motion to dismiss, it would indeed be dismissed. So, the lawsuit would probably not be all that expensive at all....except perhaps to BRs reputation.

As I understand it, any number of other players in the league are expecting Goodell to take some disciplinary action to show that he is being evenhanded in his severity and that even a topnotch, white quarterback will be disciplined as has everyone else. .

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived