THE BROWNS BOARD

Sizing Up a Winning Horse on the day of a Conference Championship

Flugel

On a night Colt McCoy would wear Suh like a jersey in the Big 12 Championship - there were no excuses or explanations required at the end of the evening. The winning horse in this contest was a Colt! I could see this type of interview shaking out after the Big 12 Championship - of course the McCoy answers is how your buddy Flugel would answer the questions if he was lucky enough to have such talents as Colt McCoy:

NFL Scout: "Hey Colt, how come you weren't stepping into your throws today?"

McCoy: "Because I met a man named Suh. And then I met him again. And again. And again, and again."

NFL Scout: "Aren't you worried the scouts are going to think you have a weak arm?"

McCoy: "I'm not worried about any scout that researches me. When Brett Favre got hit all game long by the Saints' defense - what happened on his last throw? Did it look STRONG? Coud he step INTO it? Would it be fair to say that was how he always threw the ball or did a Championship Game present challenges from a talented opponent that didn't allow pocket comfort? I'm just happy we won the Big 12 Championship. I've experienced 45 wins in my journey with this team as a starter."

NFL Scout: "Some worry about your toughness - because you left the National Championship Game early."

McCoy: "Are those the same people putting Bradford at the top of the draft worrying about my toughness? Out of a possible 53 games in 4 years - I've started 52 of them. The 1 game I left was because I had no feeling in my arm. If I had trouble with courage, I could have left the game after any of 1 of Suh's hits but didn't."

NFL Scout: "Why do you think Jimmy Clausen and Sam Bradford were 5 star athletes and you were only a 3 star athlete?"

McCoy: "I've never been fond of stereotypes and grouping players into this category or that category. My job has always been to go out, compete and above all - have fun doing it. If I had to guess, there's always been a discomfort about a kid from a small town with just 1 traffic light going on to play in the bright lights, big city outside of it. The good news is they didn't have to bury the Texas Longorns winning tradition after Vince Young left campus. I'm quite proud of that and it's done wonders for my sense of what I can achieve."

NFL Scout: "What makes you the perfect QB for an NFL team?

McCoy: It all starts with the understanding that nobody is perfect especially me. This becomes the fuel that drives my engine. Guys like Drew Brees and Brian Sipe heard all of the same criticism I'm hearing. Other guys like Tony Romo, Marc Bulger, Jeff Garcia, and Kurt Warner were completely snubbed from the draft all together. I'm very excited to get the chance to prove why I think I belong in the NFL. It's something I began working on about 8 years ago.

- Tom F.

I wish I was as sold on McCoy as some of you.

Stan, my trouble is I like so many kids slated for the first couple of rounds that I'm not opposed to Zac Robinson later or even guys like Kafka or Pike. McCoy reminds me of Sipe alot. I think the Bowl Game vrs Ohio State sold me on this kid's poise and accuracy under fire.

- Tom F.

Maybe it is Jordan Shipley that over shadows him for me. I can't help being drawn to Shipley and him finding the open seam whether it be deep beyond coverage or over the middle, that kid seemed to make McCoy look good, IMO. Maybe I'm wrong. I feel like McCoy always has to make the scrambling play and not so much of a pocket presense. I take that back, the kid moves really well, but maybe too well, and always seems to be heaving desperation, Brett Farve-like passes. I'm just wondering how that transfers over into the Pro game.

Kid's a winner, has intangibles, is highly athletic and can scramble, throws well on the run and is crazy accurate in the short to intermediate game. He showed he had enough arm at his workout and I think the kid has a lot of Drew Brees in him. IMO he is perfect for this hybrid WCO/NCO we are going to run. A year of him sitting and getting stronger is perfect, and we can nab our franchise guy without killing our entire draft.

It's a win win.

If he's there when we pick in the 2nd I'll take him but only if we have another 2nd round pick. If not, I'm happy waiting for a project like Levi Brown or LeFevour later. Besides, if Delhomme craps the bed, Seneca is a more than adequate backup QB who, on his worst day is still not as bad as DA or Quinn were. Plus, the best cure for bad QB play is to run the ball. And we are built to do that. The good thing is, we are not in position anymore where we have to reach for a player out of need. We'll take the BPA and probably pick up a few more picks before it's all said and done.

If he's there when we pick in the 2nd I'll take him but only if we have another 2nd round pick. If not, I'm happy waiting for a project like Levi Brown or LeFevour later. Besides, if Delhomme craps the bed, Seneca is a more than adequate backup QB who, on his worst day is still not as bad as DA or Quinn were. Plus, the best cure for bad QB play is to run the ball. And we are built to do that. The good thing is, we are not in position anymore where we have to reach for a player out of need. We'll take the BPA and probably pick up a few more picks before it's all said and done.

Good stuff Mopaji! You know what else helps a QB manage the game? A defense that provides him with a tremendous margin of error by limiting scoring, producing turnovers and scoring points on defense.

I'm probably gonna get baked like a Snoop Dawg cigarette for saying this; BUT we can draft a Seneca Wallace clone in round 7. It's Appalachain State's Armanti Edwards at 5'11" tall. If you're looking for a QB that can beat teams he's not supposed to beat - I think we remember this kid's day in the sun at the school up north. This kid won alot of games. Before I get to the TD passes - the kid had 65 rushing TDs. This 4 year starter had a career best season in 2008 of 30 TD passes to 9 INTs.

Before someone tells me - he played against inferior competition; they must at least acknowledge he had that same level of talent blocking and fetching passes for him. It's a 2 way street to buffer all that struff. Worth noting: Chris Johnson did more damage to NFL defenses than his East Carolina caliber competition - for the SAME reason I just touched on. He's got a much better oline in TN.

Anyway, check out these stats if you want to see a kid with hocus pocus under fire or when the shit hits the fan:

2006 - 167 of 274 for 2251 yds 60.9% 15 TD 10 INT 1153 yds rush 6.1 avg 15 rush TDs

2007 - 148 of 222 for 1948 yds 66.7% 17 TD 7 INT 1588 rush yds 6.7 avg 21 rush TDs

2008 - 196 of 306 for 2902 yds 64.1% 30 TD 9 INT 941 rush yds 4.9 avg 11 rush TDs

2009 - 257 of 378 for 3291 yds 68.0% 12 TD 7 INT 679 rush yds 5.0 avg 18 rush TDs

In 2006 & 2007 Edwards QBed App State to 2 Consecutive National Championship Victories. In 2008 and 2009, they would finish 11-3 losing in the semi-finals. If you're looking for a QB that wins - this kid doesn't suck.

This might be a VERY good steal in round 7 when we consider his signing bonus is gonna be Walmart coupons punctuating 7th round cake.

Here's some more goodies compliments of Wikipedia:

Championships

NCAA Division I Football Championship — 2006, 2007

Southern Conference Championship — 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009

Awards

Walter Payton Award — 2008, 2009

Southern Conference Roy M. "Legs" Hawley Offensive Player of the Year (media) — 2008*, 2009*

Southern Conference Offensive Player of the Year (coaches) — 2008, 2009

Southern Conference Freshman of the Year (coaches and media) — 2006

All-Southern Conference Football Team:

1st Team (media) — 2006, 2008, 2009

1st Team (coaches) — 2006, 2008, 2009

2nd Team (coaches) — 2007

5x Southern Conference Offensive Player of the Month — 11/2006, 11/2007, 10/2008, 11/2008, 10/2009

8x Southern Conference Offensive Player of the Week

5x Southern Conference Freshman of the Week

* - Unanimous selection

- Tom F. (This looks like Troy Smith with a french name and better gears. Michigan definitely got the flashbacks)

Sounds like a guy the Patriots brought in last year from Kent State, Julian Edelman. Had a hell off a rookie year for them playing WR.

Speaking of Kent State, prolly sounds like Cribbs except for the passing numbers. I'm hearing some good things about his arm and accuracy though. I can't remember who it was at the combines (I think Mayock) that said this kid is gonna be a late round steal for someone because he can make all throws consistently and his worst season in 4 years was 11 wins.

- Tom F.

Archived