THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns talked with Rams about No. 1 pick

BEREA, Ohio (AP)—Cleveland Browns general manager Tom Heckert says the team has had talks with the St. Louis Rams about moving up in the NFL draft to take quarterback Sam Bradford with the No. 1 overall pick.

Heckert on Thursday said the Browns, who have the No. 7 pick, have been “‘playing a little phone tag” but said they have talked with the Rams, who are expected to select the Oklahoma quarterback.

Browns president Mike Holmgren warned that dealing for Bradford could be difficult, saying “you’d have to mortgage the ranch. In the real world, we’re probably going to go in a different direction.”

Currently owning 10 picks, Cleveland could put together an attractive package of picks to move up.

Bradford did not visit the Browns, but the team attended his pro day workout.

Browns president Mike Holmgren warned that dealing for Bradford could be difficult, saying “you’d have to mortgage the ranch. In the real world, we’re probably going to go in a different direction.”

Let's just hope he's not bluffing...

It would be one thing if the Rams had their QB and weren't really interested in Bradford. Since there is a good chance they will take him, why would they trade out for less than a super rich premium??

I am fine if we do it, buy boy it better work out or it sets us behind by 6 years.

I think I would rather stay where we are and take Tebow in the 2nd if he is there..

It would be one thing if the Rams had their QB and weren't really interested in Bradford. Since there is a good chance they will take him, why would they trade out for less than a super rich premium??

I am fine if we do it, buy boy it better work out or it sets us behind by 6 years.

I think I would rather stay where we are and take Tebow in the 2nd if he is there..

Same. I like having more picks that allows us to get more guys into camp and trading up to #1 would cost too much for a chance at landing a franchise QB.

No, we don't want ANOTHER slow release guy in our backfield.

such a huge risk. i'm sure st. louis is thinking that right now and hoping someone dangles the right stuff in front of them. i really hope that holmgren stays pat or trades down. man, another week of this bullshit waiting game. let's get on with it already!

To me, this sounds like it's just due diligence. I'd be very very surprised if we moved up to #1, but it can't hurt to discuss it with the Rams, see what they want, see what we have available and evaluate whether we want to do or it not. I appreciate their openness about it also. I think they revealed that information for the fans to say "Hey, we're doing everything we can, exploring every avenue". More props to our front office.

I don't really want to see us take such a big chance (given our recent history of draft failure), but I can't help referring to Holmgrens decision. I have to believe if Holmgren thinks Bradford is 'the one' then who are any of us to question? He's about as expert as one can get.

I'd rather see us win with Defense. Offense is gay.

I don't really want to see us take such a big chance (given our recent history of draft failure), but I can't help referring to Holmgrens decision. I have to believe if Holmgren thinks Bradford is 'the one' then who are any of us to question? He's about as expert as one can get.

I'd rather see us win with Defense. Offense is gay.

Well, if Holmgren were to take a couple of QB's in the lower rounds am sure no one is going to question those decisions and just expect him to produce a quality starter out of them, So if in this crazy world of Browns football he decides it is worth trading up to take Bradford, then that is what is best for the team. as you have got to think we are going to have a reasonable year next year so our draft position hopefully wont be that high as to be as able to trade up for that franchise QB as is the chance at the moment.

Same. I like having more picks that allows us to get more guys into camp and trading up to #1 would cost too much for a chance at landing a franchise QB.

Yep! The key word you used is "chance". That is exactly what the young man is....he is no guarantee & I relish having all the picks we now have. I still expect us to garner at least 1 more pick before this thing is over.

Mike

*IF* the Browns were to do this, it would be imperative for them to NAIL the remainder of their picks, especially in terms of adding depth to the secondary. I'm not for this move BUT if we were to do it, you've got to trust Holmgren and Heckerts judgement about doing so. If this is "their guy" go out and get him, i guess?

I would be upset if he WASN'T inquiring with the Rams.

I don't think we're drafting ten guys. Seriously, there aren't ten veterans on this team that are going to lose their job legitimately (I am talking about the 53 man roster not the practice squad) to rookies. I think we're drafting six or seven guys. If that's the case then three or four picks would be used to move up. Even if we packaged our first, second and third picks this year, we can't even come close to the draft value chart's 3000 points for the #1 overall pick....so I doubt we're doing it. Furthermore, is there anything about Sam Bradford that says to you that he's the guy to move up for? It's bad enough to have the #1 pick and have to make that decision which could set you back years. It's another thing to package the multiple picks it would require to move in and do the same. Remember how the Falcons traded up for Mike Vick? I don't want to be that guy. Sam will probably be a good QB if he can stay healthy but he isn't a once-in-a-generation QB that you have to go "all in" to get.

We dont need to give away our whole draft for this kid and i seriously doubt we will...however discussing the possibility with the rams was a good sound move from more than one aspect and if the price was right perhaps then we would trade but i think the rams have the hots for this fugly goofy grinned kid and the price would be insane and considering we have holmy to grab a 2nd or 3rd rounder and help mangini groom him up makes it pretty unlikely..

The Rams have nothing at QB ... A.J. Feeley who hasn't been a starter in seven years, and wasn't much of one then. I don't know if they should draft the fragile Bradford and throw him into this mess.

We at least have Delhomme and Wallace, Bradford could learn at the correct pace and not get thrown in on a bad team too early.

Bradford makes sense for us. Unless the Rams are in love with Jimmy Clausen, why would they trade down though?

Enter the Steelers.

Rams trade their #1 overall to Browns for #7 and a package of picks. Rams then trade #7 and a second rounder to Steelers for Big Pig.

Browns draft Bradford, Steelers draft Claussen, Rams get a veteran franchise QB, fathers of St. Louis lock their girls in at night .... win, win, win.

No, it'll never happen ... but you are allowed to make up wild stupid shit the week before the draft.

Zombo

I wouldn't mind seeing Bradford wearing the Brown & Orange, but it seems to me that we have several holes to fill. Savage's trades and the days of having Butch Davis blowing his wad over one player should be a thing of the past. I can only hope.

I love Bradford's accuracy, his arm strength and ability to get through progressions

I am (as I'm sure most browns fans would be) deathly afraid of his injury issues

I'd rather stay put and hope Berry falls to 7

2nd round could adress QB

Guest birddog1
I'll be ***** if they take a quarterback. We already got 2 already. We need a defensive back. It would be great if they talked them into getting the #1 pick so we are guaranteed to get Haden or Berry :)

There is no way we trade up to #1 for a safety. If we make that trade it's for Bradford all the way.

I think the price to trade up to #1 is steeper than most people think. You're looking at the #7 PLUS your second and third at a minimum. They probably want next year's first as well. I don't think you'd pay that for a guy who isn't going to start....unless Holmgren thinks Sam is the QB to end all QBs.

Archived