THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns make trade with Rams

dawgpound3

Im saying your FOS and that this a rumor. Ill eat crow later if im wrong but even on Adam Scheins twitter it says nothing about a trade : http://twitter.com/adamschein

I have Espn insider and says nothing about this trade happening. Unless you have it in writing it never happened. Simple as that.

True, that is. But he said it on the show.

Why? Because you think we would give up too much. I doubt it. I rather have 2 great players than 6 shitty players. Get my point, capische?

I know we would give up to much, your willing to give up our draft this year and part of next years for a QB from a conference known for great college QB's that couldnt translate into the NFL? I'd rather build a solid team and fill in with solid vet QB's untill your able to draft the ONE.

Im not saying I dont like Bradford, cause I really do; but the next great pro quarterback you see from the Big 12 will be the first. Maybe Bradford will be it but Im not willing to risk 10 more years of misery to find out

Straight from the horses(Holmgrems) mouth: http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/i...ch-for-top-pick

'Mortgage the ranch' for top pick?

APR 16

4:01

PM ET

Email Print Share

By Mike Sando

Ricky Williams and Desmond Clark are the only active players remaining from the 1999 blockbuster trade that featured Mike Ditka trading the Saints' entire draft, plus two high future choices, for one pick.

The trade came to mind after suggestions that Cleveland could have interest in acquiring the first overall pick from the Rams. I'd be surprised if the Browns gave up what it would take to land the top pick. Their entire draft is worth 2,692 points on the draft value chart. The chart probably overvalues the top choice by assigning a 3,000-point value, but even if the top pick were discounted to 2,000 points, the Browns would be giving up the seventh and 38th overall picks.

The Saints gave up 1,575 points worth of 1999 picks, plus first- and third-round choices in 2000, to get the fifth overall choice in the 1999 draft from the Bears. The chart values the fifth choice at 1,700 points.

The deal drew initial criticism, but the players drafted with the Saints' old picks -- Clark, LaVar Arrington, D'Wayne Bates, Cade McNown, Khari Samuel, Lloyd Harrison, Billy Miller, Nate Stimson -- didn't meet expectations in most cases.

Browns president Mike Holmgren on moving up to draft quarterback Sam Bradford: "'Look it, he's a coveted young man. To be able to go up and change somebody's mind ahead of us, you'd have to mortgage the ranch. You remember when coach Ditka did that with his picks and then he went and played golf.' Absolutely, we love the player, as do a lot of people. But in the real world, we're probably going to go in a different direction there.''

This better NOT BE TRUE... why does everyone think Bradford is the best thing since sliced bread?! he was a good college qb... but not great. And he's a spread offense qb.. name me successful college qbs who ran spread offenses and are also successful in the nfl. The ONLY one (and this is a HUGE reach) would be alex smith. Stay at 7!! This would be a GREAT trade for the rams.

Brees, Rapeburger, and Kolb all ran the spread in college.

Have you seen the Patriots in the last few years?? They essentially run a spread pass-oriented offense. I think Bradford will be just fine.

You have to look at quarterbacks and project how their skill set translates into the NFL. The fact remains that Bradford has ideal height, weight (after bulking up this offseason), incredibly smart (highest Wonderlic of the QB's this year), has a big enough arm to make every NFL throw, and is very very accurate.

If a trade were to come off would it not be more realistic for it to happen with the Rams selecting Bradford, and if when comes to the Browns Pick at #7 the guy the Rams would want is still there then the trade would go ahead. Cant imagine the Rams sliding themselves down and just hoping the other guy they want falls into there lap. Rams hold all the cards in any trade that were to happen.

John Clayton just said virtually no chance Browns trade for Bradford.

I agree with him but remember he did say that there was a 100% chance Holmgren would fire Mangini.

and who said he still won't

all he needs is a better team and more credibility which he is getting keeping manginis luck ass

I respectfully disagree. This team has a strong running game and a pretty good pass blocking line. Add another receiving threat and there will be weapons to use. Plus, if the browns picked up bradford he won't be thrown in immediately, he will be given time to learn first

If Couch had had a strong running game and a pretty good line and some decent receiving threats he would have been considered a far far better QB than people think he is. He didn't have any of that really.

we've had misses, indecision, streakiness, and basically general turmoil surrounding the Browns QB position for forever now.

finally in 2010 i feel like Holmgren has made it a higher priority than i can ever remember. or maybe coach EM did and we're just seeing the results of that.

Heckert thoroughly understands the value of a good cockpit, Mangini obviously understands the need for the position to be a strength...these guys are on the same page and have direction, i can see it.

in less than one week we will tangibly improve, get your Team H3ini tattoo designs here.

we've had misses, indecision, streakiness, and basically general turmoil surrounding the Browns QB position for forever now.

finally in 2010 i feel like Holmgren has made it a higher priority than i can ever remember. or maybe coach EM did and we're just seeing the results of that.

Heckert thoroughly understands the value of a good cockpit, Mangini obviously understands the need for the position to be a strength...these guys are on the same page and have direction, i can see it.

in less than one week we will tangibly improve, get your Team H3ini tattoo designs here.

I think that this team needs to follow the Steelers/Ravens formula: Build up the nastiest defense you can, and a top running game, and a superior defensive line, and quality receivers....then insert the final piece: a good QB.

I mean, the Steelers didn't go 15-1 in BRs rookie season because BR was such a great talent. They didn't win the SB the following year because BR was such a great talent. They did those things because the rest of the team was so strong that when they finally inserted a reasonably competent QB...that team's ultimate success was insured.

Let's give this team a defense that is impenetrable and they will win with Delhomme as a caretaker for a while.

Latest News

04/16/2010 - I reported here that the Browns were internally discussing making a significant offer to the Rams for the rights to the No. 1 overall pick -- two days prior to Cleveland general manager Tom Heckert announcing that the Browns had spoken with St. Louis about a potential deal. As I mentioned in the initial report, Cleveland adores Sam Bradford. St. Louis, on the other hand, likes him, but, according to sources, isn't so enamored with him that they won't consider making a trade. The specific details of the trade are still being hashed out, but there is fire behind all of this smoke, according to my sources. Both clubs are legitimately interested in trading out of their current spots. The belief by many is that the Rams must have a similar grade for Jimmy Clausen, which is why they'd consider the trade down. With the 7th overall pick, they'd likely be able to nab the former Irish star there. However, I'm told the club likes Texas' Colt McCoy better and feel they are in perfect position to nab him with the first pick of the second round, the 33rd overall. Should the Rams make the deal, they'd likely be focusing on either WR Dez Bryant or even DT Dan Williams with the 7th overall selection. - Rob Rang, The Sports Xchange, NFLDraftScout.com

I think that this team needs to follow the Steelers/Ravens formula: Build up the nastiest defense you can, and a top running game, and a superior defensive line, and quality receivers....then insert the final piece: a good QB.

I mean, the Steelers didn't go 15-1 in BRs rookie season because BR was such a great talent. They didn't win the SB the following year because BR was such a great talent. They did those things because the rest of the team was so strong that when they finally inserted a reasonably competent QB...that team's ultimate success was insured.

Let's give this team a defense that is impenetrable and they will win with Delhomme as a caretaker for a while.

that sounds pretty good to me. a lot can happen in these next few months.

i'm just saying if the QB position isn't clearly upgraded come August i'm gonna make voodoo dolls. it's gotten tons of pub. the future doesn't need to be in place but the position does need stabilized, which it appears it will be.

they may not add a QB on the 1st day of the draft but i'm pretty sure they're not done. and just because they have him doesn't mean he needs to play any significant roles at first. but to be here from day one would be epic, there's no denying.

Browns will host the number one pick and the Rams will get a number of picks back. The picks that the Rams received is unknown at this point. Adam Schein confirmed this on NFL Sirius Blitz today. It will be announced very soon.

Good take! I cannot find a confirmation.......but what the heck

this would be a good move for the Browns assuming the cost is not atrocious..........which it will not.................

anyway, glad to see the browns fans wanting a QB instead of a fat slob NT or a dime a dozen OL guy while we cannot score or stop the run

and don't even discuss drafting a db with the one pick

Archived