THE BROWNS BOARD

Who do we take at #7 if Berry is gone?

cribbs is the man

If Berry is gone at 7, which seems very likely considering both Kansas City and Seattle would have to pass on him, AND we cant trade down (who would want to trade up if Berry is gone at 7?) who do you think the Browns select.

IMO Haden might be the BPA, but we have Sheldon Brown and Eric Wright, so how much impact is a 3rd corner going to have? Although Brown is getting old...

Dan Williams, nose tackle from Tennessee, seems like a good option given Rodger's legal troubles and the possibility of moving him to DE where he can wreak more havok and freelance. plus Heckert and Mangini love lineman.

Do we maybe reach for Earl Thomas? Maybe we pick up a pass rusher in Pierre-Paul or Derrick Morgan. Theres always Clausen...

I think we'll go with Dan Williams if we cant trade down (which I would love to do, but for this scenario is not an option.)

Thoughts?

If Berry is gone, I think the Browns trade down, in front of the Steelers somewhere, and either draft Earl Thomas, s/c,

or they go for a saftey in the second round, and draft Odrick at that trade down spot.

It might be a bit of a reach, but Odrick is drawing raves as a ready to go 3-4 DE. He can fit into the

dline rotation from the git go.

There are a couple of solid safeties the Browns could nab in the second round.

we're not drafting haden. grossi said the browns like mccourty more than haden. if berry is gone and we can't trade down then i think it's either earl thomas or a lineman like odrick, williams, or longshot derrick morgan. don't discount cj spiller either if we're truly going BPA.

the question is if Berry is not there AND WE CANT TRADE DOWN

trading down isnt as simple as it sounds, there must be someone to trade with obviously, and a lot of teams are rumored to be wanting to trade down.

so who do you pick at #7?

Exactly.

There isnt't anone at 7 worth trading up for.

Or taking that high, unfortunately.

Maybe (if Heckert can do it) work out a pre draft deal with a lower rated guy for less money.

WSS

Exactly.

There isnt't anone at 7 worth trading up for.

Or taking that high, unfortunately.

Maybe (if Heckert can do it) work out a pre draft deal with a lower rated guy for less money.

WSS

your not allowed to talk contracts to guys pre draft unless youhave the first overall pick. For instance Detroit cann't talk to Suh or Okung about contracts and which one is easier for them to sign until Bradford signs a contract with St. Louis.

your not allowed to talk contracts to guys pre draft unless youhave the first overall pick. For instance Detroit cann't talk to Suh or Okung about contracts and which one is easier for them to sign until Bradford signs a contract with St. Louis.

I didn't know that.

Thanks.

WSS

Right, but, say for example, IF the team with the #1 pick has already signed their first choice, the team with the #2 pick CAN start negotiating. In fact, I think there was a year once when like the Top 3 picks of the draft were already signed, and the "drama" of the draft didn't actually begin until around the 4th pick because the previous ones were already known when the clock started. Don't recall the year, but I am pretty this did happen.

We take Haden if Berry is gone, unless something strange happens and Suh or McCoy are there.

That is assuming we don't trade down as the OP queried.

Otherwise, I honestly think we trade down and pick up Odrick regardless who's there.

i would trade down and get a offensive lineman

Again, ASSUMING WE CANT TRADE DOWN (which is probable since there are not players that teams really want to trade up for)...

The more I hear about Earl Thomas, the more I like him.. he may be a slight reach at 7, but all the analysts have great things to say about him. Im just concerned about picking a "thin" safety, as some experts put it, considering the injuries safeties are bound to have... But I keep reading that Thomas is very instinctive and is a playmaker, sounds like someone the Browns D could use..

assuming Berry McCoy and Suh are gone...

In no particular order,

Dan Williams, true NT, can move rogers to end, and besides rubin our dline is pretty old

Dez Bryant, no one can deny we need a big time WR, some think he is a risky pick but I think his pure talent is undeniable, it would be a stretch but I wouldnt truely hate it.

CJ Spiller, phenominal RB, if harrison stays we dont make this pick but by some chance we trade harrison in the next few days i think its the obvious pick

now what I think the browns should do is trade down and pick Mike Iupati mid to late first. He is an animal and in my opinion the BEST o lineman in this draft (yea I said it) 6'5" 331lbs, Thomas, Steinbach, Mack, Iupati, sounds good to me. When was the last time a successful team had a bad o line or a bad team had a great o line? The trenches are where teams are built

agree with everyone that said OL, BUT if a stud DE like mccoy is still there.....drop the hammer.

I think there's a good chance Suh or McCoy could drop to atleast Kansas City, if that happens I'd look for a trade to happen there.

Dont want a O-lineman were pretty good there, I'd go McClain,Graham,Haden,Thomas

Again, ASSUMING WE CANT TRADE DOWN (which is probable since there are not players that teams really want to trade up for)...

The more I hear about Earl Thomas, the more I like him.. he may be a slight reach at 7, but all the analysts have great things to say about him. Im just concerned about picking a "thin" safety, as some experts put it, considering the injuries safeties are bound to have... But I keep reading that Thomas is very instinctive and is a playmaker, sounds like someone the Browns D could use..

should I say we should trade down one more time? LOL

Earl Thomas is really starting to make sense. Not only is he the answer at free safety that we need desperately, his strong cover skills allow a lot of flexibility to move guys around back there. Versatility is a favourite asset of this FO it seems.

If Berry is gone at 7, which seems very likely considering both Kansas City and Seattle would have to pass on him, AND we cant trade down (who would want to trade up if Berry is gone at 7?) who do you think the Browns select.

IMO Haden might be the BPA, but we have Sheldon Brown and Eric Wright, so how much impact is a 3rd corner going to have? Although Brown is getting old...

Dan Williams, nose tackle from Tennessee, seems like a good option given Rodger's legal troubles and the possibility of moving him to DE where he can wreak more havok and freelance. plus Heckert and Mangini love lineman.

Do we maybe reach for Earl Thomas? Maybe we pick up a pass rusher in Pierre-Paul or Derrick Morgan. Theres always Clausen...

I think we'll go with Dan Williams if we cant trade down (which I would love to do, but for this scenario is not an option.)

Thoughts?

Brian Bulaga or Pierre_Paul if we can't trade down. But as we get closer and no deal is made for a number one reciever the move is to definitely trade down

I personally don't think Earl Thomas is a reach at #7 due to his versatility but most of the analysts feel he won't go before the 10-15 range. If so, draft CJ Spiller and shock the draft. Remember that Mike Holmgren said early on that he wanted to improve the speed on offense and Spiller would give us incredible flexibility much like Reggie Bush does for the Saints.

Optimally, we'd like to trade down but that wasn't the spirit of the question....

I'm really confused. Is it possible that the right pick at #7 would be Spiller? A lightning bolt for the Browns' offense?

Seems tough to draft a Reggie Bush type player at 7.

I am firmly in the "I don't know who the hell they should draft" camp this year.

I'm really confused. Is it possible that the right pick at #7 would be Spiller? A lightning bolt for the Browns' offense?

Seems tough to draft a Reggie Bush type player at 7.

I am firmly in the "I don't know who the hell they should draft" camp this year.

I didn't mean that he's "Reggie Bush" in terms of what he can't do but rather that he's a multifaceted weapon. Ironically, he beat James Davis out of a job at Clemson.

Gotcha. But he isn't an "everydown" back that can carry the load, so he is more like Reggie Bush in that regard.

But as a FAST and tough role rb and impossible to cover receiver out of the backfield, he would be priceless.

That is, if the Browns had most or all of the other player positions rock solid.....

Archived