THE BROWNS BOARD

Best, most ntelligent, blue chippie Browns draft

calfoxwc

This is how I would draft with the Browns' picks:

ROUND ONE:

The Browns trade down with the Niners - they wanted the top cb, Joe Haden.

The Browns want Odrick, so... the Browns pick up the Niner's second round pick for moving down.

At the 13th spot, it's a much better position to get the guy they really want:

The first pick is:

Jared Odrick (Penn State)Height Weight Position School Graduation Year

6' 5" 306 DT Penn State 2010

Projected to be drafted in 2010 NFL Draft: 1st Round, 20th Overall PickBig defensive tackle that has the agility to create a good pass rush, strong enough to push over undersized centers, holds ground well on running plays, pushes the pocket. Lacks closing speed, height makes him a target for cut blocks, needs to move feet quicker.

--Matt Marino

Excellent interior pass rusher. Nice size and has room to add bulk. Plays with a good motor. Needs to work on rush defense. Ideal 3-4 DE.

--Mark Olsen

SECOND ROUND:

with two picks in the second, the Browns draft:

Nate Allen (South Florida)Height Weight Position School Graduation Year

6' 2" 190 S South Florida 2010

Projected to be drafted in 2010 NFL Draft: 2nd Round, 54th Overall Pick

Draft Information:

Nice size and speed. Excellent tackler and good run stopper for a safety. High football IQ and works hard. Sometimes gets beat in coverage because of poor angles. Good special teams player.

--Mark Olsen

and with the second pick in the second round, they draft a backup to both OT spots his first year:

Jared Veldheer (Hillsdale)Height Weight Position School Graduation Year

6' 8" 321 OT Hillsdale 2010

Projected to be drafted in 2010 NFL Draft: 3rd Round, 71st Overall Pick

Draft Information:

MO: 4 year starter in college. Division 2 AP All-American first team. Massive, powerful and athletic - 6'8" 315 lbs. Solid footwork and quickness. Great pass blocker. Didn't play against elite competition but dominated throughout the Texas vs the Nation week. Due to his height, he plays too upright at times. High upside.

THIRD ROUND:

Three choices here, the Browns want to make them count. They've done their homework on this draft:

Brandon LaFell (LSU)Height Weight Position School Graduation Year

6' 3" 212 WR LSU 2010

Projected to be drafted in 2010 NFL Draft: 3rd Round, 82nd Overall Pick

Draft Information:

Great size, good blocker and good speed - 4.5 40 time. Decent route runner who can break tackles. Very experienced with tons of upside. Extremely durable and isn't afraid to go over the middle.

--Mark Olsen

and with their second pick, the Browns smartly go for their qb in this draft. Tebow went in the first round...

crazy people... but the Browns really like this kid, and can't wait any longer or he might be gone.

NFL Draft Scouting Reports: Matt Nichols

Written by Tyler Shannon

Thursday, 18 March 2010 22:45

Here is a look at Matt Nichols, sleeper quarterback prospect in this upcoming 2010 NFL Draft from Eastern Washington.

BEST COMPARISON Matt Schaub

BEST DRAFT POSITION 3rd Round

WORST DRAFT POSITION 5th Round

INJURY CONCERNS No Major Injuries

NO. OF GAMES STARTED Over 40 starts

LEADERSHIP Team captain and leader

KEY STATS 07-'09: 87 passing TDs; 29 int; 10867yrds

65.1%Comp 3830yrds 33TDs 6INTs in '09

Matt Nichols is likely the true sleeper QB in this draft. He has amassed amazing stats in almost four full seasons as a starter at Eastern Washington and he has shown great maturity over the years.

He has very good passing technique with a tight spiral and good zip. He is skilled taking the ball under center or in the shot-gun and is good at game management. Nichols has solid height at 6'3" but could use a bit of added size and strength to his upper body in order to develop a really NFL-caliber long ball.

Where he really excels is on mid-range passes as he has a very good release, can get the ball to his target with ease, and has good ball placement allowing his receivers to make the most out of the pass. Scouts will question his clutch decision making, his ability to throw accurately on the run, and how well he will adjust to NFL defensive schemes, but at the end of the day some team will take a chance on Nichols expecting to groom him as a back-up who has a lot of potential to be a starter in the NFL some day.

Nichols should expect to hear his name called somewhere around the mid 4th round; however with the experience, talent, and potential he brings he may slide into the early parts of the 3rd round after some good workouts and scouts really getting an idea of his potential to get even better.

and with their third pick in the third round, the Browns are delighted that this TE is still here:

He's had injuries in the past, but he is the kind of TE the Browns need. High character, fast, huge team guy,

and excellent receiver:

Tony Moeaki (Iowa)Height Weight Position School Graduation Year

6' 4" 255 TE Iowa 2010

Projected to be drafted in 2010 NFL Draft: 3rd Round, 99th Overall Pick

Draft Information:

Great size and speed for tight end, will cause match up problems, runs nice routes, good down the seam, solid hands. Injury concerns, needs to improve his blocking techniques, getting lower to explode though defenders.

--Matt Marino

FIFTH ROUND:

The Browns didn't have a 4th rounder, they gave it up. I think they still have 3 fifth round picks, so:

O'Brien Schofield (Wisconsin)Height Weight Position School Graduation Year

6' 3" 248 DE / OLB Wisconsin 2010

Projected to be drafted in 2010 NFL Draft: 5th Round, 144th Overall Pick

Draft Information:

Great senior season, very good pass rusher, gets to the quarterback, can drop into coverage, is best suited in the NFL as a 3-4 linebacker. Undersized, lacks some upper body strength to get through the line, will need to learn to play linebacker.

--Matt Marino

AND

Torrell Troup (Central Florida)Height Weight Position School Graduation Year

6' 3" 314 DT Central Florida 2010

Projected to be drafted in 2010 NFL Draft: 5th Round, 148th Overall Pick

Draft Information:

All-Conference USA second team. Dominated during East-West Shrine practices. Instinctive, disruptive and pushes the pocket well. Very good against the run and takes up space. Didn't play against elite competition in C-USA. Needs to improve is pass rush.

--Mark Olsen

AND

A.J. Edds (Iowa)Height Weight Position School Graduation Year

6' 4" 244 OLB Iowa 2010

Projected to be drafted in 2010 NFL Draft: 5th Round, 135th Overall Pick

Draft Information:

Strong upper body, wrap up tackler, very good size, does not get run over, quick enough to chase down backs from behind, knows the offense well, former tight end, moves well, good hands. Has trouble with elusive backs, not a great pass rusher.

--Matt Marino

SIXTH ROUND:

Brandon Sharpe (Texas Tech)Height Weight Position School Graduation Year

6' 3" 254 DE / OLB Texas Tech 2010

Projected to be drafted in 2010 NFL Draft: 6th Round, 205th Overall Pick

Draft Information:

Very productive senior year, gets to the quarterback, uses his speed well, stays on the outside of lineman. Very undersized, not much strength, can get pushed around, will need to switch to outside linebacker in the NFL.

--Matt Marino

and yes, the Browns draft the best long snapper in this draft:

Clint Gresham (TCU)Height Weight Position School Graduation Year

6' 3" 235 LS TCU 2010

Cal, did you say that the one guy you wanted in the second round, Velheer, went to Hillsdale College?

You might like that guy Cal as Hillsdale is the extreme right wing radical goon factory that produced the likes of Erik Prince (I assume you know who he is).

I would like him too....if he can play football.

Cal, did you say that the one guy you wanted in the second round, Velheer, went to Hillsdale College?

You might like that guy Cal as Hillsdale is the extreme right wing radical goon factory that produced the likes of Erik Prince (I assume you know who he is).

I would like him too....if he can play football.

I believe the connection is that Heckert went to Hillsdale.

For those who don't know, Erik Prince is the "Black Prince of Blackwater". Blackwater of course is sort of the real life version of SPECTRE or KAOS or SMERSH, and Prince is sort of the real life version of a combination of Dr. No, Goldfinger, Mr. Big, Ernst Blofeld. An extremely wealthy person who has his own private army and his own private, political? goals.

But seriously, I really like this mock draft. I had time to figure it out, because I just had my knee scoped Friday,

and my knee is still swelled up. I reckon I shouldn't have been planting out in the greenhouse Friday evening, after I could

stay awake long enough and left my big easy chair and the TV.

Any legit criticisms?

Choco, you hit the nail on the head. I didn't pick any cb's.

The cb's later on, I didn't like, and earlier, I liked the other players better.

It all got scrooed up when the Browns traded for Brown. the lb's were more, it's hard to tell

when a small DE can convert to an OLB (the Wimbley syndrome ?), but later on, the bpa wasn't cb's,

in my humble stupid opinion. Maybe there was a viable cb in the third round, to be taken in Moeaki's place... hmmm.

I like the draft a lot in general..

Only a few concerns/ criticisms.. First, we now only have 2 5th round draft picks after the Brown/Goncong trade. Also Im not sure why the 49ers would trade up to #7, when Haden may fall to them anyway, a 2nd round pick is what it would take to jump from 13 to 7, I just dont see the 49ers willing to do that trade (the Browns would do that in a heartbeat). Finally I doubt that we pick up 3 late round OLBs considering how much average talent we already have at that position, Id rather just pick up more O-lineman for depth.

But seriously, I really like this mock draft. I had time to figure it out, because I just had my knee scoped Friday,

and my knee is still swelled up. I reckon I shouldn't have been planting out in the greenhouse Friday evening, after I could

stay awake long enough and left my big easy chair and the TV.

Any legit criticisms?

No, because it truly is not withing the scope of the knowledge of the normal fan to know the intracacies of the many hundreds of draft prospects that are out there and whether or not so and so would be a good fit with our football team.

For the most part, these are guys we have never heard of. We only know the top 10-12-20 players that may be selected.

It is true however that it is these "unknown" guys who are the meat and potatoes of a team's NFL draft. Who will end up shining for a team, or who will end up busting out is a pure science...or is it an art....handled best by professionals.

I mean, face it, in the later rounds the draft is a crap shoot. Example, here are the Quarterbacks taken in the 6th round of the 2000 NFL draft, in order:

Marc Bulger

Spergon Wynn

Tom Brady

Todd Husak

JaJuan Seider

Now, one of those guys is going to go on to the Hall of Fame (Brady). One guy has had overall a pretty successful productive pro career(Bulger), while the other three are like Johnny Rotten, long forgotten.

Was it just luck/serendipity that a Brady got picked by the team he got picked by? What if, instead of Wynn, the Browns had chosen Brady? Would he have had the same kind of career? Would he have been fodder like Wynn and Husak and Seider? Was it pure luck the Brady went to a system with a coach that fit him to a T? Would the Browns foibles at QB over the years have been avoided if they had taken Brady instead of Young, even if it didn't mean titles for the Browns.

Maybe the names you have selected here will be all a bunch of Tom Brady's?

Well, it is fun, anyways. I finally had to settle down and ice my knee.

so, i figure I could drop the TE, the third pick in the third round, and get this cb:

and yeah, we have only two picks in the fifth round? Then Edds is out.

And in Moeaki's place, we could nab:

Amari Spievey (Iowa)Height Weight Position School Graduation Year

6' 0" 190 CB Iowa 2011

Projected to be drafted in 2010 NFL Draft: 3rd Round, 87th Overall Pick

Draft Information:

Built to be a shut down corner, moves his hips well, keeps his eyes on the ball, reads receiver routes well, has the speed to stay with top receivers, gets interceptions and good instincts to break up passes. Can be over aggressive in run support, will need to prove himself against top level receivers, lacks some upper body strength to play against top NFL receivers.

--Matt Marino

but that is a tough choice. @@

Archived