THE BROWNS BOARD

Is Detroit Drunk?!

JRex223

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2010/...ernie_sims.html

ALLEN PARK -- In the most surprising move of the offseason, according to multiple reports, the Detroit Lions have shipped linebacker Ernie Sims to the Philadelphia Eagles, who will trade a fifth-round draft pick to the Denver Broncos, who will then send veteran tight end Tony Scheffler (and a seventh-round pick) to the Lions.

-------

Yeah, I am not sure what they are thinking. Why trade a starting linebacker for next to nothing when you don't have depth?

Maybe they have something up their sleeve or their starting TE isn't healing from his knee problem very well?

I actually like scheffler alot, but trading for a TE doesn't make much sense when you draft a TE pretty high the year before. Oh well can't say I am to suprised about the lions making a questionable move

They got a pretty good rookie from last year that they were high on. His performance just plateued after his rookie year, maybe even went down. They werent going to re-sign him next year, and wanted to get some trade value. Pettigrew tore his ACL, and so Sheffler brings them a good TE while he is recovering and wont need to come back before he is ready.

I actually like scheffler alot, but trading for a TE doesn't make much sense when you draft a TE pretty high the year before. Oh well can't say I am to suprised about the lions making a questionable move

I couldn't agree more. Scheffler is a very good TE that will help them in there offensive schemes. I think it is a great trade other than the fact that they got a 7th back. I would have wanted a 5th. Also Sims was a Matt Millen pick and the defense that Detriot is trying to implement calls for bigger linebackers and they didn't feel that Sims was big enough.

because they didnt like him, and they werent going to end up re-signing him, and he had a big contract, and you dont want a mid-round rookie starting TE for you, especially with a young QB. Remember Pettigrew may not be ready to play in the beginning of the year.

Exactly.

Schwartz is one heck of a coach, especially on defense. He knows what he wants on defense, and Sims evidentially wasn't part of the vision.

Archived